The Mass RBY Damage Calc Project

Ok, I had an idea that would help anyone playing RBY, or writing articles or analyses about it, or constructing ideas or whatever. I posted earlier about it but it prolly went unnoticed.

I want to make a guide where you can quickly look up how much damage you can expect from one common Pokémon to another, and preferably later write a program from this data so you can just input the attacker, defender and the attack so you get an output. It'd be a little quicker than a damage calculator, and after a while you'd know them all.

Now, why didn't I already make this? Because it is a shitload of work, and I'm sure there are some people out there who want to help. Do you want to help me?

What you can do if you want to help:
1) Suggest another Pokémon in this thread. Preferably provide the most common used attacks, and determine against which other Pokémon it should be added. I put the 13 most abudant Pokémon here but I'm sure there are more. Remember, however, please stick to stuff that is sometimes actually used. Nobody would want to know how much damage Farfetch'd Slash does to Parasect.
2) List redudant parts in these calculations. I put 4 items under the big list of Pokémon and attacks about what you can leave off, but maybe there's something I overlooked.
3) This is mainly why I made this thread: I want people to help calculating. There are over 300 calculations and with suggestions there will be more. Under the list you'll see how you could help. If you want to contribute to this project, please read the whole thread carefully.

I Tauros
1. Body Slam
2. Blizzard
3. Hyper Beam
4. Earthquake

II Alakazam
1. Psychic

III Starmie
1. Surf
2. Blizzard
3. Thunderbolt

IV Golem
1. Explosion
2. Earthquake
3. Body Slam
4. Rock Slide

V Rhydon
1. Earthquake
2. Body Slam
3. Rock Slide

VI Chansey
1. Ice Beam
2. Thunderbolt

VII Exeggutor
1. Psychic
2. Mega Drain
3. Explosion
4. Double-Edge

VIII Snorlax
1. Body Slam
2. Hyper Beam
3. Selfdestruct
4. Earthquake
5. Surf

IX Lapras
1. Body Slam
2. Thunderbolt
3. Blizzard

X Persian
1. Body Slam
2. Slash
3. Hyper Beam
4. Bubblebeam

XI Slowbro
1. Surf

XII Gengar
1. Psychic
2. Mega Drain
3. Thunderbolt
4. Explosion

XIII Zapdos
1. Thunderbolt
2. Drill Peck

For now, I think that's more than enough. Now, I'd want these all calculated on all 13 of these, except where it is probably not necessary. The following can be left off:

1. Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Slash and Explosion against Golem, Rhydon and Gengar
2. Other immunities, like Thunderbolt against Rhydon and Golem
3. 4x resists, like Blizzard against Lapras
4. OHKOs everyone's sure about, like Starmie Surf against Rhydon and Golem
5. Other unneccessary stuff, for example Exeggutor would rarely Mega Drain a Chansey, Zapdos or Snorlax (it's only needed for Starmie and Golem and stuff). If you're unsure whether to do it or not, just report so when handing in the results. I and other editors might or might not decide to put it in nonetheless.

I'd like everyone who wants to contribute to this claim Pokemon examples (take as many or few as you want) in this thread, and get on with the calculation. There are 13 Pokemon, so unless calculations are easily canceled by above exceptions, you'll have about 13 calculations per attack (26 if you count CHs, 52 if you count the addition of % AND normal HP damage).

For example, you decide that you'd like to take Starmie. You then have to calculate CH and non-CH, min and max damage on all 13 above Pokémon with all three attacks (I don't think I will add the suggestions to the target list unless it's really neccessary...I might be adding Articuno and Jynx later though in which case it'd be interesting). UNLESS one of the exception rules states you don't have to.

Please look through the thread carefully to see what's taken and what's not. I will edit it in asap but I can't catch them all. If you think another move is neccessary to be calced, you can either claim the Pokemon for it, or tell the one who's doing it. First come, first get.

Handy stats for quick reference:

TAUROS
HP - 353 / Atk - 298 / Def - 288 / Spd - 318 / Spc - 238

STARMIE
HP - 323 / Def - 268 / Spd - 328 / Spc - 298

GOLEM
HP - 363 / Atk - 318 / Def - 358 / Spd - 188 / Spc - 208

RHYDON
HP - 413 / Atk - 358 / Def - 338 / Spd - 178 / Spc - 188

CHANSEY
HP - 703 / Def - 108 / Spd - 198 / Spc - 308

EXEGGUTOR
HP - 393 / Atk - 288 / Def - 268 / Spd - 208 / Spc - 348

SNORLAX
HP - 523 / Atk - 318 / Def - 228 / Spd - 158 / Spc - 228

LAPRAS
HP - 463 / Atk - 268 / Def - 258 / Spd - 218 / Spc - 288

PERSIAN
HP - 333 / Atk - 238 / Def - 218 / Spd - 328 / Spc - 228

ZAPDOS
HP - 383 / Atk - 278 / Def - 268 / Spd - 298 / Spc - 348

SLOWBRO
HP - 393 / Def - 318 / Spd - 158 / Spc - 258

GENGAR
HP - 323 / Atk - 228 / Def - 218 / Spd - 318 / Spc - 358

I left off the Attack of those who only use Special Attacks.

If you have done your work, please put it in the following format:

Attacker on Defender (you don't put "action" here)

Move 1: x HP, y % damage
CH: x HP, y % damage

Move 2: x HP, y % damage
CH: x HP, y % damage

etc

Example:

Tauros on Snorlax

Body Slam: 154 HP, 23% damage
CH: 276 HP, 53% damage

(this is not real)

This is meant to be easy to view and easy to put in a FAQ. It took me a lot of time to put the 712909670 different formats in the moveset competition in one document, please spare me the work this time.

I'm glad if you decide to help Smogon out. There are over 300 (maybe even 400) of calculations to be done, and every little bit helps.

This is a pretty neat idea, and i'll gladly help out. I would like to reserve Zapdos and Golem if thats okay with you.

That's.. a very interesting idea. Not sure if I can help with this (directly; you can use my damage calculator for this, anything you need with this, when I release it, which should be tomorrow, I hope...) (At first I was afraid this would be similar to my idea, but, nope, the program you describe doesn't use the actual damage formula.) You left out Alakazam's stats, which are 313 / 198 / 188 / 338 / 368.

Edit: Okay, not sure about something. First, you say that "You then have to calculate CH and non-CH, min and max damage ..." but your example format only has average damage. Which should make sense, since if you keep the exact decimal value of average damage, you can multiply that value by certain constants (255/236, 217/236) to get min and max damage. If your response is that no damage calculators out there which show the decimal, then I can fix a special version of my own to do that, if you want. Three places should be enough, I'd say.

"1. Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Slash and Explosion against Golem, Rhydon and Gengar"
why body slam/slash? Golem/rhydon switches are common against phys sweepers, and snorlax surf usually doesn't(if at all) ohko golem, whereas a BS on the switch in plus the surf kills it.snorlax is usually the one to kill golems/rhydons, so I don't know how well it would work with tauroses/persians

JMC

Old as dirt.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
no offense, but this makes people lazy. I suggest more using azure height's damage calculator, the one on netbattle, or smogon just creates one and puts it on the site.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
noting that Jynx and Venusaur could be implemented, how much body slam does to a chansey after one swords dance or what Psychic does to a Lapras....

JMC said:
no offense, but this makes people lazy. I suggest more using azure height's damage calculator, the one on netbattle, or smogon just creates one and puts it on the site.
like when you were battling justin or someone else like a year ago, stopped moving for god knows how many minutes, then complained because you calculated you had 70% chance of koing that thing?:)
I'd rather have lazy people moving faster than people calculating their odds in the middle of the battle.

Jesus Herbert Walker Fucking Christ.

My damage calc did this too =/. Adjusted for rs of course, but still, it will take no longer than 10 minutes of modification to change it to rby formatting.

Y'ALL SHOULD HAVE DOWNLOADED THE DAMN THING.

http://www.smogon.com/community/showthread.php?t=5925

Simply enter in attacker, defender, attack, and damage dealt. Descriptions were useful for rs but will be completely useless for the rby. Just change that section of the code and a couple if statements and you will be golden. Later on enter in attacker, defender, and attack, and it prints out average damage dealt.

Seriously I'm getting pretty angsty right here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)