XY OU The Mighty Morphing Power Rangers (Stuck At 1500)

Introduction:

My name is Argue. This is my 3rd RMT. My main goal in my Pokémon career is to achieve the #1 spot on the OU ladder.

Unfortunately, I hit a road block. I need a detour. This is where you guys come in!
Help improve my team with expert advice and insight.

The Team At A Glance:

The Mighty Power Rangers:

Blue Ranger @ Medicham Mega Stone
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defense
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Summary

- Drain Punch: STAB. My means of recovery for the Blue Ranger. Hits hard. Steel, Dark, and Chansey do not appreciate drain punch. Especially Kuyrem-B. Bisharp is too situational.

- Fake Out: beautiful priority that's always reliable, especially the chance to flinch. Use fake out, then hit again with either of my three moves depending on the situation for cool damage. I have to keep in mind fake out gets negated by gengar so when the opponent switches in hit em' with PC.

- Psycho Cut: Hate Zen Head butt. ZH damage output is gorgeous but PC is much more reliable due to accuracy and the beautiful chance to CRIT!!!

- Ice Punch: Great all around coverage. Great against dragons and ground types, like Lando and the Lat. twins.

- EVs And Nature: Jolly nature to maximize speed, I outspeed base 100's. 252 Atk to maximize out damage and 4 def to take a resisted hit well, then retaliate with DP.

Pink Ranger @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Attack
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Summary

- Moonblast: STAB. A minuscule chance to drop their special attack (I think). It's a fairy move. Dragons, dark, and fighting Pokemon do not appreciate getting hit with a moonblast, especially after a few calm mind boosts.

- Soft-Boiled: excellent means of recovery. Pretty self explanatory.

- Calm Mind: Since I'm defensively invested, it is important I take advantage when the opportunity permits, to boost up with calm mind. If not, I get wrecked hard by strong special attackers like Greninja and Keldeo.

- Flamethrower: My secret weapon. It's funny when my opponent(s) switch in their bisharp or ferrothorn anticipating a MB, to see them get hurt bad by flamethrower. I'm considering HP Ground though, because heatran just walls me so bad. Also, if I'm at full HP I can take a iron head from bisharp, if he isn't life orb. I then attack with FT and that's a dead bisharp. He actually wallsy whole team, I hate him! xD

- Ability, EVs, and Nature: I opted for Magic Guard because I just love switching in on w-o-w, toxic, or leech seed. EVs maximize health and defense to take some physical hits and recover up or set up with CM.

Green Ranger @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Attack / 4 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw

Summary

- Earthquake: Great coverage against the likes of steel types like Excadrill, Bisharp, and TTar.

- Dragon Dance: Here's where my strategy takes place. Supposedly I'm up against a Thundurus with HP ice. New set of turns. I go for DDance, he uses HP ice. He hits me. WP activates. I'm now boosted in speed and have ridiculous physical nuking power. I then proceed to SWEEP with e-speed. However, stealth rock diminishes my use of weakness policy due to multiscale being deemed useless. Also knock-off.

- Extreme Speed: best t-flame counter, IMO. Best priority in the game. Especially, when boosted decently. Dragonite is an excellent e-speed master.

- Dragon Claw. Pure STAB. Great against Char X. Other dragon types as well as other mons who don't resist it.

- Nature And EVs: Adamant nature for pure physical damage. Full health investment to take hits. Full attack investment to abuse the raw physical power D-nite possess.

Red Ranger @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Special Defense / 40 Speed
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Summary

- Lava Plume: STAB. A nice chance to hopefully burn the adjacent target. Love the accuracy. Does great against frail mons too.

- Protect: I use this to scout out my opponent. I also use this to stall back health.

- Stealth Rock: Love this thing. Set hazards to my opponent, then use roar again and again, watching my opponent's team get his/or her's health chipped away.

- Roar: I love seeing other mons set up, taking one or two turns just to get phased out. Don't even try a sub, roar pushes that out too.

- EVs: these EVs are a suggested smogon spread. They actually work well. Takes special hits well, especially weak scalds. Heatran is truly an awesome defensive elite.

White Ranger @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Attack / 212 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

Summary

- Earthquake: STAB. Hits hard due to my adamant nature. Things who do not resist EQ do not appreciate dying.

- Rock Slide: coverage. I used to have stone miss, but it cost me many important games. It will always miss at the most crucial part of the game. Rock slide has bad accuracy too but not as bad as stone miss. I like the lucky flinch. Great against t-flame and char x/y.

- U-Turn: Switch out on checks and counters. Great against psychic types. Also greninja. Especially shadow tag. When I sense a w-o-w, I u-turn out to clefable.

- Knock Off: great move and important for every team. Knock off opposing scarf users or threats who rely heavily on their valued item.

- EVs: these EVs I use are a standard smogon choice scarf spread. I can take some hits, and live for an extended amount of turns. Adamant to hit hard. Nice speed to outspeed a lot of things.

Yellow Ranger @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Summary

- Aqua Jet: STAB. huge power + adamant nature = decently strong priority aqua jet. Great for revenge killing too.

- Play Rough: Great STAB. Hits things like a truck. Great coverage.

- Knock Off: Love knocking off items. Love when I OHKO Gengar too.

- Superpower: I have this over waterfall because I prefer coverage in my play style. For some reason, the opponent switches into ferrothorn predicting a Play Rough, but gets bopped by Superpower. Then dies to Aqua Jet. Bisharp too, and excadrill, chansey. I dislike the stat drop though. Maybe brick break?

- EVs And Item: Standard smogon spread. This spread helps aid assault vest nicely, giving azumarill an excellent defensive presence.

Conclusion

That's pretty much my team. However, can't break past 1500+. To more experienced players up the ladder, this team is so easily predictable. I need something to make this team unique and talented. I need to break off the standard play style and hit my opponent with that primed surprise.

Thanks for reading,

- Argue

Change the ev spread on clefable to 160 def and 96 spdef and keep impish.

^That change is so you clefable is never 2ohkod by latios psyshock and has a good chance of avoiding the 2ohko from greninja's hydro pump.

You should also change azumaril evs to 240 HP and 16 Speed to out speed other base 50s.

Your team looks solid; If you need help laddering try either the OU or Competitive tutoring room on smogon's official server. There are also various tutors here that can help.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Argue, decent team. I would replace Fake Out and Ice Punch on Mega Medicham with ThunderPunch and Substitute, as this lets you actually break past defensive cores that use Pokemon such as Alomomola, Skarmory, and Slowbro, and eases prediction against offensive teams thanks to Substitute, meaning it's even better than Fake Out against offense. ThunderPunch also OHKOes Azumarill, a big threat to your team. Drain Punch also synergizes very nicely with Sub, because it helps heal the lost HP, while Sub makes up for Mega Medicham's lack of a spammable move without High Jump Kick. In addition, Sub means that you beat Mew one on one if you have already burned it with Heatran, as it can't breakt your Sub while you can 3HKO it with ThunderPunch after burn damage. I would also advice you to replace Psycho Cut with Zen Headbutt, as the latter almost always 2HKOes max HP / max Def+ Clefable while Psycho Cut only 12.5% of the time. Also, Zen Headbutt always 3HKOes max HP / max Def+ Landorus-T after SR, another nice thing, especially without Ice Punch. Without Ice Punch Latios and Latias check you, but this is no big deal because you have two solid counters in Clefable and Heatran. Oh and definitely use Adamant over Jolly, Mega Medicham needs that power to wallbreak effectively.

Moving on, replace Dragonite with Pursuit Bisharp. Dragonite doesn't fit in this team at all, as you lack a way to remove Stealth Rock and the necessary offensive pressure to facilitate a Dragonite sweep. Pursuit Bisharp helps Mega Medicham combat stall even better, as it weakens the only Pokemon that hard counter it, Cresselia and Doublade, and in general has great offensive synergy with Mega Medicham, while also providing stronger priority than Dragonite to use against offensive teams. Pursuit Bisharp also helps remove some of Clefable's defensive answers, such as Jirachi and Doublade, so it fits very nicely in your team.

You also desperately need an Excadrill check, as Landorus-T is your only one atm and it's very easy to wear down without Leftovers, and HP and Defense investment. I suggest you replace Scarf Landorus-T with physically defensive Stealth Rock Landorus-T, which is a great and sturdy counter to Excadrill that also checks Mega Heracross, and helps with a lot of threatening physical attackers that Scarf Landorus-T can't hold off for too long, such as 3 attacks + Roost Mega Charizard X, Terrakion, and Mega Medicham. Use enough Speed to outrun Adamant Bisharp, a somewhat annoying threat for your team, especially SD variants.

Because you now lack a Choice Scarf user, you should replace Heatran with a Scarf variant. Scarf Heatran is a terrific late-game cleaner and a great revenge killer, as well as a great pivot, as it's able to switch into many threatening offensive Pokemon and OHKO them, such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Gardevoir. It's a great way to take advantage of Mega Medicham's wallbreaking abilities, which is able to lure and KO Pokemon such as Slowbro, which stand in the way of a Heatran sweep. Your anti-bird spam core gets even better now, as physically Landorus-T handles better than Scarf Lando-T SD Talonflame, a set which could beat your current Heatran, while Scarf Heatran is a better Mega Pinsir check, being able to switch into Return much easier than Scarf Landorus-T. Even though Scarf Heatran can't effectively revenge kill Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Tyranitar, that's what physically defensive Landorus-T and the suggestion below are for, so i don't think you will have a problem.

Finally, i suggest you replace Azumarill with physically defensive Amoonguss. You already have a good Dragon-type check in Clefable and a check to Mega Charizard X in Landorus-T, so Amoonguss is better in this slot for its ability to handle Water-types better, especially Azumarill and Keldeo, both huge threats to your team, and also non-SD Bisharp. Amoonguss can also check LO Thundurus, another big threats to your team. LO SD Bisharp is still problematic but thankfully your team doesn't give it a lot of room to set up, as half of your team has a good matchup against it (Mega Medicham, Scarf Heatran, Landorus-T), Bisharp can remove its LO so that Amoonguss can take a hit from +2 Bisharp and retaliate, and Clefable has Flamethrower to pressure it.

Here are the changes:
Substitute + ThunderPunch + Zen Headbutt + Adamant nature > Fake Out + Ice Punch + Psycho Cut + Jolly nature on Mega Medicham
Physically defensive Landorus-T > Scarf Landorus-T
Scarf Heatran > Specially defensive Heatran
Amoonguss > Azumarill
Bisharp > Dragonite
And here are the sets:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- AncientPower
The EV spread on Amoonguss let it avoid the 2HKO from Thundurus's HP Ice most of the time with SR up while always surviving a +6 Play Rough from Azumarill after SR and Black Sludge recovery. HP Ice or Fire is a matter of handling better stallbreaking Gliscor or Bisharp.

Good luck, hope i helped!

^That change is so you clefable is never 2ohkod by latios psyshock and has a good chance of avoiding the 2ohko from greninja's hydro pump.

You should also change azumaril evs to 240 HP and 16 Speed to out speed other base 50s.

Your team looks solid; If you need help laddering try either the OU or Competitive tutoring room on smogon's official server. There are also various tutors here that can help.

Hey mcpallday,

Thanks for your advice. Definitely considering the Clefable spread you mentioned. Seems viable enough to last an extended amount of turns.

Hey Argue, decent team. I would replace Fake Out and Ice Punch on Mega Medicham with ThunderPunch and Substitute, as this lets you actually break past defensive cores that use Pokemon such as Alomomola, Skarmory, and Slowbro, and eases prediction against offensive teams thanks to Substitute, meaning it's even better than Fake Out against offense. ThunderPunch also OHKOes Azumarill, a big threat to your team. Drain Punch also synergizes very nicely with Sub, because it helps heal the lost HP, while Sub makes up for Mega Medicham's lack of a spammable move without High Jump Kick. In addition, Sub means that you beat Mew one on one if you have already burned it with Heatran, as it can't breakt your Sub while you can 3HKO it with ThunderPunch after burn damage. I would also advice you to replace Psycho Cut with Zen Headbutt, as the latter almost always 2HKOes max HP / max Def+ Clefable while Psycho Cut only 12.5% of the time. Also, Zen Headbutt always 3HKOes max HP / max Def+ Landorus-T after SR, another nice thing, especially without Ice Punch. Without Ice Punch Latios and Latias check you, but this is no big deal because you have two solid counters in Clefable and Heatran. Oh and definitely use Adamant over Jolly, Mega Medicham needs that power to wallbreak effectively.

Moving on, replace Dragonite with Pursuit Bisharp. Dragonite doesn't fit in this team at all, as you lack a way to remove Stealth Rock and the necessary offensive pressure to facilitate a Dragonite sweep. Pursuit Bisharp helps Mega Medicham combat stall even better, as it weakens the only Pokemon that hard counter it, Cresselia and Doublade, and in general has great offensive synergy with Mega Medicham, while also providing stronger priority than Dragonite to use against offensive teams. Pursuit Bisharp also helps remove some of Clefable's defensive answers, such as Jirachi and Doublade, so it fits very nicely in your team.

You also desperately need an Excadrill check, as Landorus-T is your only one atm and it's very easy to wear down without Leftovers, and HP and Defense investment. I suggest you replace Scarf Landorus-T with physically defensive Stealth Rock Landorus-T, which is a great and sturdy counter to Excadrill that also checks Mega Heracross, and helps with a lot of threatening physical attackers that Scarf Landorus-T can't hold off for too long, such as 3 attacks + Roost Mega Charizard X, Terrakion, and Mega Medicham. Use enough Speed to outrun Adamant Bisharp, a somewhat annoying threat for your team, especially SD variants.

Because you now lack a Choice Scarf user, you should replace Heatran with a Scarf variant. Scarf Heatran is a terrific late-game cleaner and a great revenge killer, as well as a great pivot, as it's able to switch into many threatening offensive Pokemon and OHKO them, such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Gardevoir. It's a great way to take advantage of Mega Medicham's wallbreaking abilities, which is able to lure and KO Pokemon such as Slowbro, which stand in the way of a Heatran sweep. Your anti-bird spam core gets even better now, as physically Landorus-T handles better than Scarf Lando-T SD Talonflame, a set which could beat your current Heatran, while Scarf Heatran is a better Mega Pinsir check, being able to switch into Return much easier than Scarf Landorus-T. Even though Scarf Heatran can't effectively revenge kill Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Tyranitar, that's what physically defensive Landorus-T and the suggestion below are for, so i don't think you will have a problem.

Finally, i suggest you replace Azumarill with physically defensive Amoonguss. You already have a good Dragon-type check in Clefable and a check to Mega Charizard X in Landorus-T, so Amoonguss is better in this slot for its ability to handle Water-types better, especially Azumarill and Keldeo, both huge threats to your team, and also non-SD Bisharp. Amoonguss can also check LO Thundurus, another big threats to your team. LO SD Bisharp is still problematic but thankfully your team doesn't give it a lot of room to set up, as half of your team has a good matchup against it (Mega Medicham, Scarf Heatran, Landorus-T), Bisharp can remove its LO so that Amoonguss can take a hit from +2 Bisharp and retaliate, and Clefable has Flamethrower to pressure it.

Here are the changes:
Substitute + ThunderPunch + Zen Headbutt + Adamant nature > Fake Out + Ice Punch + Psycho Cut + Jolly nature on Mega Medicham
Physically defensive Landorus-T > Scarf Landorus-T
Scarf Heatran > Specially defensive Heatran
Amoonguss > Azumarill
Bisharp > Dragonite
And here are the sets:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- AncientPower
The EV spread on Amoonguss let it avoid the 2HKO from Thundurus's HP Ice most of the time with SR up while always surviving a +6 Play Rough from Azumarill after SR and Black Sludge recovery. HP Ice or Fire is a matter of handling better stallbreaking Gliscor or Bisharp.

Good luck, hope i helped!
Hey alexwolf,

I gladly appreciate your time and suggestions you took to write. They are most appreciated. :)

I'm loving the whole sets you have suggested. Everything you have mentioned is so true and I'm so glad you provided me with viable advice to combat my current problems in the meta (bird spam, azu, sand rush exa, etc.)

Definitely putting fourth every change and gonna try it out ASAP, to practice and master. You have enlightened me with a fantastic rate summary. I will definitely post some replays to show how my progress goes. :)

Thanks ever so much!

Argue :)

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
Hi Argue, decent team you got there, i would suggest you change Medicham's moveset to: Fake Out/Hi Jump Kick/ice punch and zen headbutt, Hi Jump Kick gives it more power, it hits like a truck, Zen headbutt has better power than psycho cut so i suggest you use that, the team is overall great, landorus looks good but i would suggest you change it's evs to 252 attack and 252 speed, stone edge instead of rock slide then again stone edge has more power than rock slide and toxic instead of roar on Heatran , toxic is needed against pokemon which heatran can't damage much with heat wave, good luck, hope i helped!

Last edited:
Hey all,

So I've experimented. I peaked 1600. For some reason tho, the pressure got real.

I dropped all the way to 1200!!

However, I changed that. I reverted back to Scarf Lando. Put Knock Off on him and it helps a ton!!

Also, GENGAR behind a SUB destroys my whole team! That's why I reverted back to Scarf Lando to deal with gengar.

I laddered yesterday night, back at 1430+.

Gonna do my hardest to break 1700+

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

High jump kick is probably better on Mega Medicham as the power difference is pretty notable. It also helps you against certain mons like scarf rotom wash who threaten to do a load of damage to you. The only thin you have to be more careful about is protect ferrothorn and stuff like that.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
IMO Drain Punch mega Medicham is too weak, the power difference is simply waaay too big to give up. Sometimes you can just spam High Jump Kick and watch things die, even resists. Medicham is honestly too frail to tank things with Drain Punch, plus a burn simply shuts you down, so I do not run it.
Wall of Calcs:
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 155-183 (39.3 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 90-106 (22.8 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 213-251 (61.7 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 123-145 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 294-346 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 169-201 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 89.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 193-228 (64.1 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 111-132 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 201-237 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 117-138 (35 - 41.3%) -- 71.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Although your team is not particular weak to hazards, I would suggest some form of hazard removal as you currently have none. I would suggest something like Latios to defog hazards for you over Dragonite who doesn't really do much for the team, and WP Dnite is completely reliant on there being no SR up. If you are worried about BirdSpam, Zapdos would also be a nice option as a more reliable defogger, that also beats BirdSpam and can form VoltTurn cores with Lando-T.

Edit: Wow sniped

Thanks for everything guys. In all honesty tho, I'm considering dumping this team.

It has no merit to break past 1600+.

Rotom, protect ferro, greninja, bird ham, etc. all play around this team and pick it off one by one.

I lack priority, speed, power, great defenses. Not of my mons seem to synergies well.

I have a huge ice weakness and EQ weakness. The team here is so predictable.

I laddered today all the way to 1500. After that, things went downhill. Dropped to 1390.

I have no coverage, no threats, no merit. It's sad. I'm gonna sit and think hard on a new team.

I'm truly disappointed after all these bourse played, I accumulated more losses than wins. It's sickening.

I will learn from my failures tho and reign successful tho!

Bird ham? How does bird ham play around this team? Bird ham is delicious
I meant bird spam*

I'm on my phone, and auto correct sucks!

T-flame uses u-turn avoiding my hits from heatran, switching into rotom. I then have to switch out to amoongus. I get wrecked by Brave Bird.

It's sad because all my mons get 2HKO EXCEPT for medicham and amoongus, they get OHKO.

T-flame outspeeds all my mons too. Honestly I don't know what to go with this team.

Try it for yourself, you CANNOT break past 1500, guaranteed. This team is not for this meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)