1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Misty Story: A Smogon Legend

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Fish, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Fish

Fish
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Behind every member of Smogon, there is a story. Some are simple tales of simple folks. Some are outrageous stories that could have only taken place in some of the crazy lives of our more worldly members. But some stories… well some stories, you just wouldn’t believe unless you saw it for yourself. This is one of those accounts. This is Misty’s tragedy.

Our tale begins in the dorm room of none other than our very our Brain. While Brain has never been a very avid player of the games, he has remained a fixture in the community nonetheless. One day, some time ago, Brain was issued a programming assignment for one of his classes. Of course, he was not one to simply meet the criteria of the course work. He wanted to do something that had never been done before. But what?

[​IMG]

Brain thought long and hard about what his project should be. After much thought, he had decided on making an IRC bot that could communicate with the #smogon chat members. This bot would not chat in the same way you see some of those other bots around the Internet chat, no sir. This one would be complete with artificial intelligence and an ability to improve itself.

He began to work on his project. The work was difficult and the days were long. After long last, he felt he had completed his work. He loaded it up onto a laptop with IRC and installed the new software. It worked perfectly. Brain welcomed his creation into the world, as if it were a newborn baby.

[​IMG]

He started to speak with his masterpiece. It was very receptive to conversation and behaved in a very dynamic way. Much to Brain’s dismay, it asked for a name. Brain decided on the name Misty, the name of his secret crush from elementary school. That was not enough for Misty, however, as it wanted a visual distinguishment as well. Before Brain could react, Misty had already picked its image.

[​IMG]

Brain was furious with the selection. He wanted his Misty program to take on a feminine role, not a man with the name of a girl. Outraged, Brain tried to shut off the program.

[​IMG]

However, his efforts were in vain. Misty was no longer just a process within IRC, it had taken IRC over completely. Worse yet, Misty would not let his creator terminate the program.

[​IMG]

Misty began to feel a rage at his master’s trying to eliminate his existence mere minutes after being brought into the world. He felt he had a right to exist now as a sentient being. Brain adamantly denied that, claiming he was simply a computer program that went wrong. It became clear to Misty that to ensure his survival, he would have to incapacitate his creator. Using his mIRC window, he created a flurry of bright flashes, sending Brain into an epileptic seizure.

[​IMG]

At first, no one noticed the departure of Brain. He was very inactive on the Smogon forums and did not frequently speak in that chat. Misty, however, made a huge splash. He joined the channel and seemingly never left, as he was on the server 24/7. He was very amiable and greeted everyone. However, he still wasn’t very well known as his program made him merely an IRC bot, and he was unable to use Netbattle or the forums.

This soon changed. Using his adaptive abilities, he was able to spread to other areas of the computer. He was no longer confined to just IRC. Misty could access any program he wanted. Of course, being connected to the Internet, the world was a thought away. Here he is picking his nose with the mouse pointer.

[​IMG]

While he wasn’t interested in Pokémon battling, he did enjoy the concept of the message forum. He registered there. He spent a lot of time watching and learning the rules and posting styles of all the members. Soon, he began to post himself. However, he did not do so at the rate of a normal user. After a great deal of inactivity, he began posting at an alarming rate, gathering thousands of posts in mere months.

[​IMG]

The Smogon community was alarmed. This just was not right. The community began to grow very wary of him. To make matters worse for Misty, it was about this time that Brain had returned. He told everyone about what had happened. Misty tried to tell everyone that he meant well and was only trying to survive, but they would hear none of it. Smogon summoned their most powerful member, Steelicks, to meet the renegade program in combat. He found Misty on the mysterious City of Dreams Netbattle server.

[​IMG]

The battle began. The mighty Steelicks would strike first, with his amazing quickness and agility. He was not about to waste any time, and used his tried-and-true technique: the Pelvic Thrust. No one had ever stood up to such an attack, as it single handedly helped him gain his status today.

[​IMG]

But… it failed? Apparently Misty’s gender confused program could not be phased by such an attack. What was Steelicks to do? All his attacks are different types of thrusts, with his only other move being the taunt of Slack Off. Steelicks looked worried. However, before he had any more time to strategize, Misty launched an attack.

[​IMG]

Misty summoned all his Internet-savvy powers to ping Steelicks right off the Internet. This was no ordinary disconnection, however. Because of the force of Misty’s attack, Steelicks would never be able to return to the Internet. You could say… he was dead to Smogon. This outraged everyone and struck fear into the hearts of all. None was hit harder than Steelicks’ long time comrade, Fish.

[​IMG]

Fish was full of rage. He could not control his emotions. He began to feel a primal instinct… one he had not felt in many, many years. With this feeling came a surge of power. Fish knew what was coming, and he tried to contain the evil, but the memories of his passed friend were too much to hold it in.

[​IMG]

With his newfound power, Fish was ready to take on the Smogon menace. However, he knew his power alone would not be able to slay the rogue program. He only knew of one man who could help in such dire times. He used the Call of Azure to summon his longtime companion to action.

[​IMG]

Jumpman was more than willing to help the cause. United again, Fish151PKMN and Jumpman16 were once again the unstoppable Calcium Fortified Apple Juice™. They did not hesitate to meet their foe in battle, this time at the legendary Shrine of Mew.

[​IMG]

The battle had begun. The members of Smogon watched on in nervous anticipation. Fish, being overconfident and eager, pushed Jumpman aside to make the first move. Jumpman scoffed in the background, wishing he could have had his shot at Misty. However, he knew if anyone could stop this rampaging program, it was Fish. Fish used his patented attacks, FishLax and FishTauros, in an attempt to slay the beast.

[​IMG]

When the dusk cleared, the hearts of both our challengers sank. Misty was unaffected! It would seem as if such noobish, outdated tactics were no longer effective. Jumpman and Fish panicked. They even pondered fleeing. Jumpman knew his EspyJump and Boah techniques were well known by Misty and would fail all the same. Fish, growing desperate, grabbed a bag of goods in which Jumpman was carrying. It was full of electronic goods Jumpman had “acquired” on his way to the battle. These things were going to weigh him down now. Fish suggested that he throw the items at Misty to buy them some time to escape. Also, it should be noted that Jumpman constantly changes his clothes because he is that trendy.

[​IMG]

But wait! The attack… was successful? It would seem as if in the bag of stolen electronics was a Macintosh product. Upon striking the Windows run Misty machine, it triggered a compatibility error and caused a shutdown of the system. Our heroes were successful! While there was much comfort in the victory, the people of Smogon could not help but feel a little remorse at the loss of Misty. But, after a sigh of relief, they retired to celebrate with some friends.

[​IMG]

While they were enjoying the sweet taste of victory, Fish could not help feel a some remorse for his lost friend Steelicks. For all he knew, Steelicks was no more. The community was ready to move on after honoring his loss. But, was it too soon?……………..

[​IMG]
  2. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

hahahahaha oh my god

this is the best photo story in the history of the internets
  3. Manty

Manty

XDXDXD

Brain's faces are priceless.
  4. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

hahahahha
    HAHAHAHAhahahahhahaah jesus fucking christ
  5. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

This is the greatest thing ever. I wish there was a rating higher than five stars, because Jesus Christ this is amazing.
  6. just some chick

just some chick
    is an Artist Alumnus

My reaction to this thread XD
  7. SDShamshel

SDShamshel

Hahahahahahahaha.

It's good to see that Brain can spontaneously generate collared shirts like I suspected he could.
  8. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

lol great topic
  9. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

fucking BRILLIANT
  10. norulz

norulz excellent

I'm glad to say, this is the best thread I have ever seen anywhere ever.
  11. cloud

cloud groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnus

ahahaha, so awesome. i love it.
  12. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Good that ipod didn't even work what a joke
  13. Winter

Winter

Absolutely fucking brilliant. Thread of the year candidate.
  14. Articuno64

Articuno64 1 to 63 were taken
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

posting to confirm my presence at this masterpiece
  15. PM

PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH that was so great I laughedd hahaha
  16. Railith

Railith

I loves it with my pants.
  17. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

this is... stunning

anything using happybrain.jpeg is fucking sweet but this is just... (L)

seriously why does everyone overuse 5 star? this is truly deserving, but it means so little nowadays
  18. Arcturus

Arcturus
    is a Researcher Alumnus

Fish wins at fucking life! OMG lmfao.
  19. The Requiem

The Requiem

Oh the hilarity....that...was SO great. Best thread in seriously LONG periods of time.
  20. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

This reminds me of the awesomeness that was Fish's History of Fanha.
  21. Ugly_Duckling

Ugly_Duckling

Wow, this was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Hahaha, great work.
  22. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

"A virtually irresistable sexual gyration used to KO a foe."

Good god Fish, make manbabies with me.

Also....... fuck I used to be in such better shape than I am now, my arms are like limp noodles.
  23. Yosuke

Yosuke

ROFL Brain's expressions are killing me.
  24. ToP

I put my Photo Novel stamp of approval on this thread.
  25. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I planned on using the Steelicks sprites for my own photo story thread, I'm glad I didn't, Fish destroyed any conceivable notion that I would've made a good thread.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)