The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

^Welcome dude :) Much respect

IMO Aldo is the best fighter on the planet at the moment and I agree with you on Mendez.

Are you from Spain? Or Spanish heritage? I'm asking because I'd like to hear what you see in the MMA scene in Spain if you are living there.

Thanks! I live in Spain yeah. The MMA scene here is definitely growing, but it's still nothing compared to the USA's. Muay Thai and Boxing are bigger right now, and a lot of acquaintances of mine who don't know much about the sport still see it as "human cockfighting"... but it's getting there, we have some pretty damn good teams in the country, especially BJJ, BJJ is growing faster I think. Anyways if you're curious you can check out my fights in both MMA and grappling by searching "Miguel Guerrero MMA" in youtube and tell me what you think, you'll see i'm mainly a grappler and that my standup needs quite a bit of work (i'm on it though!).

I agree that Jose Aldo is at the very least top 3 pound for pound, and as of late he seems to be the most "stable" of all the champions.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Thanks! I live in Spain yeah. The MMA scene here is definitely growing, but it's still nothing compared to the USA's. Muay Thai and Boxing are bigger right now, and a lot of acquaintances of mine who don't know much about the sport still see it as "human cockfighting"... but it's getting there, we have some pretty damn good teams in the country, especially BJJ, BJJ is growing faster I think. Anyways if you're curious you can check out my fights in both MMA and grappling by searching "Miguel Guerrero MMA" in youtube and tell me what you think, you'll see i'm mainly a grappler and that my standup needs quite a bit of work (i'm on it though!).

I agree that Jose Aldo is at the very least top 3 pound for pound, and as of late he seems to be the most "stable" of all the champions.
I think I saw you in a Spanish highlight video before called Desafio, or I might be mistaken. You were that guy with the good guard I think. Can I ask what are you main go to moves from guard or what is your style? I really like your movement from top side control, you move like a purple belt. You are reckless with those back takes to RNC too. Welcome to this thread anyways!

I actually have an "ok" guard. My main options from the closed guard for example are kimura-guillotine-hip bump sweep combinations, I fucking love the hip bump sweep. When it comes to open guard, I go for X guard (I get a lot of high level grapplers with it) and sweep. My main focus is almost always to sweep when i'm on bottom, i'm not a good finisher from there. I'm a guard passer. That's where i'm much, much more effective. And you said it, my main weapon is my back taking. Even my nickname comes from that (I compete quite often, and here in spain pretty much everybody that knows me knows me for my back takes and RNC). What I do is, when I pass the guard I inmediately go to north-south and look for the kimura, when he goes to all fours (they always do that since I give them that space, it's actually the right thing to do) I "follow" them to take the back. Even if you see it coming, it's not easy to avoid. Over the time i've developed muscle memory when it comes to back takes, and i've come to take the back from all kinds of scrambles and weird situations, it's become an instinct (but only because i've focused so much of my training on it).

Anyways by explaining this my point is I would recommend people to get the basics completely covered, and THEN you have to start developing a game, it's better to have a special skill in one particular aspect of bjj than to be "ok" at all things (well, at least that's my humble opinion, others may disagree). Now i'm working hard on my wrestling, it's actually gone leaps and bounds (used to suck completely) and I may compete in the spanish wrestling nationals in the future. Though wrestling here in Spain has so little following, its sad really.

Oh and yeah, that was Desafio Azul (the blue challenge), it was a special competition they did where they selected the "8 best blue belts" in the country to do a televised tournament in Galicia. I was lucky to be chosen to represent Andalucia, it was a pretty cool experience, I lost on the first round after having a war with a rival I have (he's beaten me twice now) of 23 minutes, the fight is pretty entertaining though, the rules where no points only submission. Initiatives like those are what Spain needs to get BJJ growing faster.

Anways, thanks for the kind words! It's 9 pm here in Spain, so i'm gonna go ahead and play some pokeman!! (see if I get the hang of it, fuck man this is so addicting) hahaha

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
There we go I thought it was like some special tournament of the best people of Spain or something like that...that's a very nice achievement. I think you aggressiveness deserves a lot of credit for your top game seeing how you fucking fly for that RNC haha. Do they call you Mochila or something?

Thanks for sharing that strategy with the passing and then north south position, I'll be trying it out. I'm a Blue Belt under a Pablo Popovitch Black Belt. I like to think my half guard is good, and my top game focuses around passing holding on to the opponents pants and re-directing while using footwork to pass. My favorite submission is probably the kimura followed by the RNC. Anything I do my ultimate goal is pretty much get to the back; I was taught this way since white personally. I learned a few things from your videos with all that back action. Are you still a blue belt?

I agree with the basics part. My instructor always told me to keep working in the guard even if it meant coming everyday and get killed in my own guard and go home. One day I would see the light he would say and he wasn't lying. I see a lot of white belts instantly playing top game all the time and when they get floored they don't know what to do. Oh and keep at it with the wrestling, it's hard as fuck but in the future it's rewarding.

Thanks for sharing, hope to keep discussing BJJ with you in the future.

I have no bjj experience what's so ever I just wanted to thank you for sharing and I will check out your vids when I get finished dragging ass reading about taxes lol

Feel free to share ANYTHING you'd like. We usually get along here unless favorites are being mentioned hah

My only martial arts experience was training muay thai but I haven't in a while now. The gym I went to dried up and lost its appeal tho my younger brother is now signing up so I might rejoin.

Again thanks for joining dude and Pokemon is tough lol. I don't play much maybe couple times in a month but when I do I can play 6 hours straight it's that addictive.

Venom they call me chinchorro, which means "tick", yeah the bug kind (I know, 0 appeal whatsoever lol). It seems your style is very similar to mine then, I also pass the guard like that (that pass is MONEY, especially for the faster lightweights). If you look at my matches, you can see that I use very similar transitions to take the back, now it's become more about instinct and reflexes than technique (although it's thanks to technique how I got there). Im glad my videos could help improve your view. And yes, i'm still a Blue Belt, i'm the last Blue Belt left who competed in the Blue Challenge... My instructor is teaching in Abu Dhabi now and I believe he wants it to be him who promotes me. I don't want to sound the least bit cocky, but I consider myself to be at purple belt level (I roll with good purple belts constantly, and I do pretty good), but I have no hurry nor problem whatsoever with having the blue belt around my waist. I'm more focused on grappling and MMA now, and here the grappling competitions have Intermediate and Expert level, I compete in Expert, so the color of my belt really doesn't matter as much for me as it did in the past. Anyways i'm sure we'll be discussing BJJ often, I never get tired of talking about the things I enjoy... which is good for the people who share my interests, not so good for the rest lol

mirza as a mixed martial arts fan your opinion on my fights is valid to me (you watch and enjoy the sport regularly so that means you understand the concepts). Thanks for the encouragement on me sharing my stuff, I take it as a compliment!

We'll, off to EV train my kickass team before I go to train myself later lol

Early stoppage imo. Damn I hate Ronda and her attitude, but there's no denying she's the best. Kind of pissed at the co-main, started buying into de hype.

I won't lie, I've pretty much fallen onto the "I hate Rousey" bandwagon as well, she just comes off as pretty dis-likable to me even before TUF. Herb Dean needs to learn how to be a better ref again, even if McMann was putting up a fairly lackluster effort. If the Cyborg rumors are true, it'd be nice to see her kick Ronda's ass for a bit.

Nice to see Cormier with a solid debut, even if it was against some random dude off the street basically. If he could have had that convincing win against Rashad, he would easily be the next in line to fight Bones after Texiera. As is though since there's gonna be a bit of a wait, get him another quick match with another top LHW just to make sure he's adjusted to LHW.

Herb Dean confuses me; sometimes his stoppages are quite late (the Pyle v Waldburger stoppage was horribly late for example) or he can be lenient with stopping the fight (like Dos Santos v Carwin where Dos Santos landed a heap of shots on a non-moving Carwin), yet for a lot of big fights he has stopped them too soon imo.

Herb Dean is still the best ref out there. And after looking at the replay, Sara went down like a ton of bricks... The thing is she popped right back up just when he stopped it... but they way her whole body shut down... I too have been hit with a body shot before and it is absolutely horrible. Surprises me that she recovered so quickly from it (I had to lay down and then proceeded to start throwing up LOL).

Anyways, premature stoppage but you can't really blame Herb too much.

I think Cormier should get one more fight in, there's no need to rush things imo.

Looks like Melendez will be staying in-house instead with a TUF gig and next shot against Pettis. Not to mention the UFC can wave oodles more money in his face instead of Bellator.

Herb Dean is still the best ref out there. And after looking at the replay, Sara went down like a ton of bricks... The thing is she popped right back up just when he stopped it... but they way her whole body shut down... I too have been hit with a body shot before and it is absolutely horrible. Surprises me that she recovered so quickly from it (I had to lay down and then proceeded to start throwing up LOL).
I'd have said Kevin Mulhall was a better ref than Herb when it comes to stoppages, though he hasn't been on many big shows lately. Dean is very inconsistent with his stoppages, as much as the McMann stoppage is getting the attention, I'd be more worried about things like that Waldburger stoppage which was just hard to watch.

Looks like Machida is in and Belfort is out (temporarily) against Weidman due to the ban of TRT in Nevada. I know I don't think much of Weidman yet, but I hope he beats Machida, because I like him far less.

And Hendricks is the first new WW champ in...how many years? I think Matt Hughes was the last WW champ before St. Pierre right? Ok technically Serra fits in there somewhere, but that was the biggest fluke/lucky shot in probably UFC history.

Talk about power being the last thing to go... I liked the comment from Pat Miletich "Shoguns nose has a new zip code."

^extra testosterone helps. Sonnen's considering retiring because the doctor can't help him beat W. Silva now.

Just when things were starting to look up for Shogun. :/ FUCK

Can't hate on Dan though. That damn sneaky nuke.

I swear Shogun has the potential to beat anyone. I mean ANYONE. I know this for fact. I've seen him do it since I was a little kid. And yes I fully expect every one of you to make your little jokes. ;P It just breaks my heart to see him drop fights he shouldn't. This KO and the Sonnen sub both came out of nowhere.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Shogun has always had that type of fighting style that really gets me pumping. The way he displays kickboxing is just glorious and always brings me flashbacks of the highlight videos of him in Pride I used to see when I was younger.

Sonnen's considering retiring because the doctor can't help him beat W. Silva now.
I didn't know Sonnen's doctor was a NCAA 1 wrestler? They must have some invigorating wrestling sessions!

To be fair, Hendo is 43 and has been on TRT since before it was cool all the way back to '07; if anyone legitimately needs it, it's probably Hendo, not relative youngins like Sonnen and Belfort. His chin is definitely going though, Rua dropped him a couple of times (never would've happened before), and it's not like Hendo's style really protects himself. So yeah, he'll never get the UFC belt now likely, but he'll go out with a bang at least, might even be inducted in their HoF before he retires at this point since he has several fights left.

Heh don't get me wrong, I love Dan Henderson and have absolute respect for him as a human and a fighter. You honestly can't hate on anyone that carries himself the way Henderson does. That's partly why I'm such a huge Shogun fan as well. I don't feel any negatively toward him (Henderson) for beating a bunch of my favorite fighters (Shogun X2, Nog, Wanderlei, Fedor, Rich). He has (probably) the most impressive resume of any MMA fighter. No, fuck that. He DEFINITELY has the most impressive resume of any mma fighter.

The TRT I don't like. If you're too old to compete you're too old. At the same time, I know there is a reality that us fans cannot understand. Not when this kind of money is on the line, not when competition and pressure is so immense.

(Unrelated): I bet you Wanderlei shocks the odds-makers and beats Chael's ass.

Chael is a quitter whose success came AFTER he started using TRT. Coincidence? You make the call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)