The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

was soft resetting for a naive rayquaza in emerald
I went off for a minute and my friend helpfully saved the game after catching a careful one
with a masterball

-Accidentally ran from a Shiny in G/S.
-Met a Shiny HootHoot on Route 29..before you get PokeBall's from Elm's Assistant
-Ran into a Shiny Nidorina...no PokeBalls.

-I lent my copy of Blue to my brother for the day with the explicit instruction "do not save." He returned the game, I open my save file only to discover that my Masterball has been used to catch a Wigglytuff named "gaywad"...
-Caught a shiny Sealo in Ruby and never bothered to trade it to another game when I restarted my Ruby file. Have never encountered a shiny since.

The mistake I made was actually a bug in the game also. In my first game, when i was 7 years old, in sapphire I couldn't beat Brawly, the second fighting gymleader so I just gave up because I was little and didn't feel like trying too much. I delivered Stevens letter and went on to Mauville. at some point I needed his badge to move on but I couldn't go back and battle him and I was stuck. My laziness killed my game.

The mistake I made was actually a bug in the game also. In my first game, when i was 7 years old, in sapphire I couldn't beat Brawly, the second fighting gymleader so I just gave up because I was little and didn't feel like trying too much. I delivered Stevens letter and went on to Mauville. at some point I needed his badge to move on but I couldn't go back and battle him and I was stuck. My laziness killed my game.
I'm pretty sure you can still catch Mr Briney's boat until you get Surf. Did you go back to Slateport at all?

Technically speaking I don't think it's even necessary to get Brawly's badge until the Elite Four. When I was younger I actually tested this out; it's possible to skip his gym entirely since no story based events happen after it and Flash is more helpful than necessary. It's just that at the Elite Four gate they refuse to let you in. So, I'm not sure how you got stuck, exactly.

Technically speaking I don't think it's even necessary to get Brawly's badge until the Elite Four. When I was younger I actually tested this out; it's possible to skip his gym entirely since no story based events happen after it and Flash is more helpful than necessary. It's just that at the Elite Four gate they refuse to let you in. So, I'm not sure how you got stuck, exactly.
Actually you need four badges before you can challenge Norman, and you need to beat Norman to get Surf. You can skip Winona though.

This didn't happen in a game but I think it counts. Red and Blue came out when I was in elementary school and everyone was crazy about the games and, of course, the trading cards. Everyone wanted to get a Charizard card. Well I met a kid at the park one time and he offered to trade me his Charizard. Through some tough negotiating I got the thing for about ten cards. Come to find out the next day at school it was fake. Not just fake, but an offensively bad fake.

I went to that park every afternoon for a month, praying that kid would show his face.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I tried breeding again and again in Black 2, attempting to beat the system. I would breed my two Pokemon until there was an egg, and then save right before I was notified of the egg's existence. Then I would receive the egg and then go to the Join Avenue and have the egg immediately hatched. I would keep soft-resetting and hatching this one egg (and the genders would change so I knew that the Pokemon were different), but there's the glitch in BW2 where all the IVs/nature remain the same for the first egg hatched (same as the mother) and I didn't realize this until I had repeated the process a couple dozen times. *facepalm*

Basically, 'twas Gold. I thought that, from what the other kids told me, Charizard was the best Pokemon. I traded my Ho-Oh, Feraligatr and shiny Linoone to some random kid I barely knew, for a Charmeleon (and 2 Rattatas). Nowadays, I prefer Venu out of the gen I starters, but back then, I had no idea how valuable a shiny Linoone and Ho-Oh were in comparison to a Charizard.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
But linoone is generation 3, and you were playing gold...

But what's funny is that I never liked charizard, I like venusaur!
Guess which one is NU and which is OU! lol

When I was 6, I couldn't find my way through Viridian forest. I stopped playing Pokemon for a while after that ;.;

EDIT: this was in Pokemon Yellow.

In R/S, I levelled a skitty to 80 without evolving it. My team consisted of Swampert, Kyorge, Flygon(Whom did not know fly, or any physical moves), Plusle and Salamence. The Plusle and Skitty were beast in contests though.

But linoone is generation 3, and you were playing gold...

But what's funny is that I never liked charizard, I like venusaur!
Guess which one is NU and which is OU! lol
Er, yeah, I meant Sentret. No idea why I thought it was Linoone.

Well, that's another facepalm moment, I guess :pimp:

When I was playing LeafGreen, I literally spent months looking for the Safari Warden's gold teeth. I talked to all the NPCs, I looked up walkthroughs online... they just weren't there.

Then I realized that I had picked them up on my first trip through the safari zone and had forgotten about them.

When I was very young, perhaps six or seven, I defeated Giovanni and was given the Master Ball. I did exactly what happened in this movie.
[youtube]Lp4HyC7tgGA[/youtube]
Then again, I didn't really know about the legendary Pokemon at the time, and there wasn't anything outside of the Safari Zone that I had any trouble trying to catch.

Speaking of the Safari Zone, I lost all of my money trying to get to the back of the zone once to obtain Surf way back in my Red Version. It took me months before I had a friend help me out after selling enough items to pay for one more entry.

In my old Gold version, I had a ton of rare candies through cheating which I wasted on my Togepi trying to get him to evolve. He evolved at level 42.

Also, My younger brother had a shiny Teddiursa in his Emerald game. Then our sister went on a day long rampage, and in the midst of it, his Emerald disappeared. Forever. He was so sad.

But my favorite story is that I was always trying to get my Wailord in Ruby to earn the Master Beauty ribbon. The first five or six times I actually got the ribbon, my battery would die, or I would drop my SP, etc.

Well, the first time I ever played Pokemon I did a number of things. On my Diamond I somehow bet every single Gym leader and trainer with juts my Infernape and Luxray. I wasn't too sure about the game but I guessed I was strong enough to take on Team Galactic. After powering through the Headquaters and Defeating Cyrus, I discovered the Master Ball. Amazed at the description of this new contraption, I wondered if it was true. I had very little knowledge of Pokemon at the time, except that Dragons feared Ice, and that Snover was an Ice type that escaped me on several occasions. (can you see where I am going with this?) I also had no idea of the existence of Dialga or that you would actually meet it (I was 6 at the time and that was my first game). So I flew to Snowpoint city and went into the Grass waiting for snover! And it did. On the bright side the Abomasnow did infact beat Garchomp ;}

So, about a year ago, I bought Yellow version. Like the genius I am, I leveled up Pikachu until he could learn another attacking move. With my inexperience with the move teaching interface, I accidentally replaced thunderbolt (or whatever the starting move is) with quick attack. SO I had a level 20 something Pikachu with Quick Attack and Growl, with a bunch of level 12 other pokemons. I also had no compatible TMs. And to top it all off, I hadn't saved for about 4 hours before that, so I saved it then. I eventually got tired of using quick attack over and over so I just restarted.

In platinum, I used an action replay to get infinite masterballs, and then I encountered a legit shiny girafarig. I used a masterball on it so I guess it isnt legit anymore. Bad luck me also encountered his first and only legit shiny which happened to be a useless GIRAFARIG.

I also spent a few months trying to use the Masuda method to get a shiny Infernape in platinum. I ended up having four PC boxes filled with chimchars. I have so many chimchars... oh god why. and shiny infernape isnt even that appealing.

I have a few from when I was younger.

Like how in my very first playthrough of Pokemon, my red version, I ONLY used my Venusaur. I still caught other Pokemon mind you, I just didn't train them. Instead, in my infinite 9 (or something like that) year old wisdom, would regularly swap in the most powerful Pokemon I had recently caught into my party.

So when I went to challenge Koga's gym I had 1 level 70 or something Venusaur and 5 level 20-26 random Pokemon. Also, since BP wasn't listed in Gen I games, I thought that Tackle must be really strong because Venusaur was so big, and also that Vine whip must be really strong since its PP was so low and low PP = high power! Needless to say Venusaur fainted against one of the Gym trainer's Hypnos and I whited out.

I also lent my Leaf Green to my friend in Grade 8 so he could catch and train some Pokemon for his Pokedex. The guy did eventually give me my game back, but half my best Pokemon were now on HIS game instead of mine. I remember encountering him years later, playing the same goddamn save file like 3 years later, using my Charizard (now level 100) against the Elite 4 for kicks...

i dunno if this counts as a facepalm, but i lent my zapdos and suicune from pokemon soulsilver to a friend in art class.

...he saved over his file.

i also caught a shiny zigzagoon and bumped the cartridge. le sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)