The Mushroom, the Cat, and the HI JUMP KICK! (an LC Warstory)

Note: I don't know if I should put this here or in the LC subforum, but whatever. Also, English is not my first language, so please try to understand if you find any grammar and/or spelling mistakes

Hello Smogon! I really like reading (good) warstories myself (not walls of text, bad battles, etc), so, after having found a good match on the LC (yes you heard me, LC!) ladder (Using my alt, Shuba.), I decided to try to make a warstory out of it. (I like using brackets, as you can see). This was a match I had against Kafey just after the Smogon server got back up. It was a really good match, where me and my opponent were evenly matched. I'm pretty new to LC myself, and since the basics of battling (predictions, planning ahead, etc.), are mainly the same, I decided to try and get into it by joining the LC 101 Program. I made a decent team, and kept on improving it during the tutoring round, eventually getting to a good, balanced team. Without further ado, let's show the teams!

Shuba.'s team:

Kafey's Team:

Battle between Kafey and Shuba. started!

Tier: BW LC
Variation: +27, -33
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

From the Team Preview, I see one mon that's gonna cause trouble. Foongus. Spore, coupled with great defensive stats are something you don't want to mess with (now imagine it when Regenerator gets released...). I know I have to put pressure on that shroom right from the start. He's likely going to lead with Larvesta or Meowth as they can both scout with U-Turn. This is where the first part of my plan happens. I send out Slowpoke.

Shuba. sent out Slowpoke!
Kafey sent out Larvesta!

(100%) vs.
(100%)

In this situation, the obvious move would be to go for the Scald, as it hits Larvesta super effectively. However, my opponent probably is going to switch out with U-Turn. If he switches to Foongus or Staryu, the most probable options, Psychic would be better than Scald in both cases. However, if he stays in and uses Wild Charge, Slowpoke will take quite a chunk, probably over 50%. We'll see how it goes.

Start of turn 1
The foe's Larvesta used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Slowpoke lost 12 HP! (44% of its health)
Kafey called Larvesta back!
Kafey sent out Yamask!

Slowpoke used Psychic!
The foe's Yamask lost 27% of its health!

(56%) vs.
(100%) -->
(73%)

Oh, forgot about that thing. Yamask can surely KO me at this health, and I need to keep Slowpoke alive to soak up Meowth's hits. Ghost types could cause a lot of damage to my team, if I did not have this one poke....

Start of turn 2
Shuba. called Slowpoke back!
Shuba. sent out Stunky!

The foe's Yamask used Shadow Ball!
It's not very effective...
Stunky lost 3 HP! (13% of its health)

(56%) -->
(87%) vs.
(73%)

Thank God for Him creating Stunky. You can roughly compare him to to Tyranitar. He comes in, traps something, and goes on from there. The obvious move would be to Pursuit, but my opponent might predict it and stay in, so I could go for the Crunch. The risk of him switching out is too big for my team though, so I go for the Pursuit anyway

Start of turn 3
Stunky used Pursuit!
It's super effective!
The foe's Yamask lost 36% of its health!
Stunky's ability became Mummy!

The foe's Yamask used Hidden Power!
Stunky lost 4 HP! (17% of its health)

(70%) vs
(36%)

Good, all that Yamask did was use Hidden Power (Fighting probably), which did little damage. Another Pursuit should knock this ghost out, and make it safe for Mienfoo to use Hi Jump Kick.

Start of turn 4
Stunky used Pursuit!
It's super effective!
The foe's Yamask lost 36% of its health!
The foe's Yamask fainted!

6-5 Shuba.

Kafey sent out Meowth!

(70%) vs
(K.O.) -->
(100%)

Gah, Meowth. I hate facing these things. Technician Fake Out hurts. I'm going to leave Stunky in since he's done his job, and is the least valuable member of my team now. I could switch in Dwebble, but I don't want to lose Sturdy yet.

Start of turn 5
The foe's Meowth used Fake Out!
A critical hit!
Stunky lost 16 HP! (69% of its health)
Stunky fainted!
The foe's Meowth's ability became Mummy!
The foe's Meowth is hurt by its Life Orb!

5-5 Tie

(K.O) vs.
(100%)

To be honest, I was tempted to say 'bs hax' in the chat, but I stopped myself from doing so as soon as I realized that the crit didn't matter really much. However, this turn was still quite valuable for me. I learned that it carries Life Orb, and it lost Technician, so its future attack's won't be doing a lot. (Although I'd prefer Aftermath, but whatever) I'm going to switch in Mienfoo to threaten with the HJK (or any Fighting move for that matter), and go for the U-turn to scout the switch-in. Him leaving Meowth in is too risky, and I'm going to use that knowledge to my advantage.

Shuba. sent out Mienfoo!

Start of turn 6
Kafey called Meowth back!
Kafey sent out Foongus!

Mienfoo used U-turn!
The foe's Foongus lost 19% of its health!
Shuba. called Mienfoo back!
Shuba. sent out Croagunk!

(100%) -->
(100%) vs.
(95%) -->
(81%)

Foongus, one of the most annoying things to face in LC, enters the field. I U-Turn out to Croagunk, because it is the only thing that can prevent it from using Spore. I'm going to Fake Out+Taunt this thing.

Start of turn 7
Kafey called Foongus back!
Kafey sent out Larvesta!

Croagunk used Fake Out!
The foe's Larvesta lost 27% of its health!

(100%) vs.
(81%) -->
(73%)

....or he could switch out. I'm quite sure he's going to U-Turn to deal lots of damage to Slowpoke and gain momentum. I'm going to stay in and go for the Sucker Punch, which should nearly, or completely KO it.

Start of turn 8
Croagunk used Sucker Punch!
The foe's Larvesta lost 50% of its health!

The foe's Larvesta used Flare Blitz!
Croagunk lost 16 HP! (72% of its health)
The foe's Larvesta is hit with recoil!
The foe's Larvesta fainted!

5-4 Shuba

(28%) vs.
(K.O.)

Kafey sent out Meowth!

Ouch, Flare Blitz hurt. Thankfully the recoil killed him, meaning I'm up in the score again. Meowth is back in, and ready to Fake Out something. I know Croagunk is going to be valuable in my attempts to deal with Foongus. Slowpoke can take Fake Outs all day long

Start of turn 9
Shuba. called Croagunk back!

Slowpoke lost 6 HP! (22% of its health)

(28%) -->
(~67%) vs.
(89%)

This turn went just as I wanted it. Meowth didn't go for the U-Turn right away, and he got some more Life Orb recoil damage. But the obvious U-Turn is coming, and I don't want to lose Slowpoke yet. Mienfoo can easily take the U-turn and counterscout (is that even a word?), while healing Slowpoke back up by Regeneration

Start of turn 10
Shuba. sent out Mienfoo!

The foe's Meowth used U-turn!
Mienfoo lost 4 HP! (18% of its health)
Kafey sent out Foongus!

(67%) -->
(82%) vs.
(84%) -->
(81%)

Foongus came in again, which means I'll have to let something fall asleep. I have a plan however. I can let Staryu, who has Natural Cure, fall asleep and lure Foongus into using his grass move (I'm expecting it to be Giga Drain), and switch to Croagunk and use Taunt. From there, I can switch anything in without worrying about Spore.

Start of turn 11
Mienfoo used U-turn!
The foe's Foongus lost 19% of its health!
Shuba. sent out Staryu!

The foe's Foongus used Spore!
Staryu fell asleep!

(72%) -->
(100%, Sleep) vs.
(62%)

All according to plan... My opponent is likely going to use Giga Drain here, which will give me a nearly free switch to Croagunk.

Start of turn 12
Shuba. called Staryu back!
Shuba. sent out Croagunk!

The foe's Foongus used Giga Drain!
Croagunk lost 3 HP! (13% of its health)
Croagunk had its energy drained!

(100%) -->
(13%) vs.
(65%)

Still according to plan... My opponent could go for either for the Spore or the Giga Drain. If he Spores, Taunt will prevent him from doing so, and if he uses Giga Drain, I can send in another poke for free without risking to get Spore'd

Start of turn 13
Croagunk used Taunt!
The foe's Foongus fell for the taunt!

The foe's Foongus used Giga Drain!
Croagunk lost 3 HP! (13% of its health)
Croagunk fainted!
Croagunk had its energy drained!

4-4 Tie

(K.O.) vs.
(65%)

Too bad he didn't go for the Spore, but it's OK I guess, as it gives me an extra turn of him being Taunted (I don't have to waste a turn to switch out). My plan worked, that's what counts. I'm going to switch in Staryu hoping to kill it with Ice Beam. I'm not going to overpredict or anything, as I really need Foongus out of my way. dead.

Shuba. sent out Staryu!

Start of turn 14
Staryu used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Foongus lost 69% of its health!
The foe's Foongus fainted!
Staryu is hurt by its Life Orb!

4-3 Chieliee

Kafey sent out Elekid!

(95%) vs.
(K.O.) -->
(100%)

This crit doesn't nearly repay the crit on Stunky, but oh well, what can I say. It's the game. Elekid is on the field, and I have nothing to reliably take a Thunderbolt, so I'm going to leave Staryu in as deathfodder.

Start of turn 15
The foe's Elekid used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Staryu lost 18 HP! (94% of its health)
Staryu fainted!
The foe's Elekid is hurt by its Life Orb!

3-3 Tie

(K.O.) vs.
(95%)

Now, with both Foonguss and Yamask gone, I feel safe to use HJK with my (scarfed) Mienfoo. It'll outspeed and nearly KO Elekid, while I think Elekid can't KO me as well.

Shuba. sent out Mienfoo!

Start of turn 16
Kafey called Elekid back!
Kafey sent out Staryu!

Mienfoo used Hi Jump Kick!
The foe's Staryu lost 75% of its health!

(100%) vs.
(95%) -->
(25%)

I'm gonna outspeed and KO, so why not stay in. My opponent probably doesn't know I'm scarfed, so he's going to try to get a hit on me, but his tries will be useless.

Start of turn 17
The foe's Staryu lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Staryu fainted!

3-2 Chieliee

Kafey sent out Meowth!

(100%) vs.
(K.O) -->
(84%)

Hmm.. Fake Out will do quite a lot to Mienfoo, and I don't want it to take any damage, so I'm switching to Slowpoke again, who can take Fake Out+U-Turn.

Start of turn 18

Slowpoke lost 6 HP! (22% of its health)

(100%) -->
(78%) vs.
(79%)

His only option is to U-turn into Elekid, so I'm going to use Psychic to make sure Mienfoo's Hi Jump Kick can kill it.

Start of turn 19
It's super effective!
Slowpoke lost 10 HP! (37% of its health)
Kafey sent out Elekid!

Slowpoke used Psychic!
The foe's Elekid lost 52% of its health!

(41%) vs.
(74%) -->
(48%)

Hmm... Mienfoo needs to be at enough health to take a Fake Out from Meowth, so I can't switch it in right away. I have to sac my Dwebble (who was completely useless this game), and switch in Mienfoo at full health to kill that Elekid.

Start of turn 20
Shuba. sent out Dwebble!

The foe's Elekid used Thunderbolt!
Dwebble lost 21 HP! (95% of its health)
Dwebble held on thanks to Sturdy!
Dwebble ate its Oran Berry!
Dwebble restored some HP!

(41%) -->
(50%) vs.
(~44%)

Using Rock Blast here just in case....

Start of turn 21
The foe's Elekid used Volt Switch!
Dwebble lost 11 HP! (50% of its health)
Dwebble fainted!
Kafey called Elekid back!
Kafey sent out Meowth!

2-2 Tie

(K.O) vs.
(~40%) -->
(74%)

Oh man. Volt Switch. Should've thought of that. Meowth is out, meaning Slowpoke is the obvious switch-in on my part. It should be able to survive a Fake Out+U-Turn/Fake Out+Bite combo, and go for the Psychic to kill either Meowth or Elekid.

Start of turn 22
A critical hit!
Slowpoke lost 13 HP! (48% of its health)

Slowpoke flinched!

(25%) vs.
(69%)

I guess we can say that hax evened out now. Slowpoke won't survive a U-Turn now, meaning Mienfoo will have to do it by himself

Start of turn 23
It's super effective!
Slowpoke lost 7 HP! (25% of its health)
Slowpoke fainted!
Kafey sent out Elekid!

1-2 Kafey

(K.O) vs.
(64%) -->
(40%)

Shuba. sent out Mienfoo!

What else can I do aside from spamming Hi Jump Kick?

Start of turn 24
The foe's Elekid lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Elekid fainted!

1-1 Tie

(100%) vs.
(K.O.)

Kafey sent out Meowth!

I win if:
- Meowth doesn't carry Quick attack
- Fake Out and Quick Attack deal less than 50%

Kafey wins if:
- Both above sentences are false
- Hi Jump Kick misses

Start of turn 25
Mienfoo lost 12 HP! (54% of its health)

Mienfoo flinched!

(46%) vs.
(57%)

I can only hope that Meowth doesn't carry Quick Attack.

Start of turn 26
It's super effective!
The foe's Meowth lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Meowth fainted!

1-0 Chieliee!

Shuba. won the battle!
Shuba.: Megahorn'd
Kafey: Silence is Golden.
Shuba.: gg
Kafey: GG

(46%) vs.
(K.O)

And Mienfoo is victorious!

MVP:

Did some very helpful scouting early game, and cleaned late game

Props:
  • Stunky for Trapping Yamask
  • Foongus for walling the hell out of me
  • Slowpoke for soaking up all those hits
  • Mienfoo for doing what it's supposed to do: own some shit.
  • Kafey for being a tough opponent

Slops:
  • Dwebble for being nothing but fodder.
  • Me for playing awfully with Staryu.
  • Kafey's Staryu for doing nothing
  • Critical hits on Foongus, Slowpoke and Stunky
  • Meowth for not having Quick Attack

never played Little Cup myself so it is interesting to see a battle. Your plan to let Staryu take the spore to eventually taunt Foongus was really smart. Overall the commentary adds to the battle, like you were there with you discussing the options.

9.5/10, because nothing can be perfect, you are Benelux member and Mienfoo is awesome.

What is attacking Mienfoo's ear...

This was good. It was cool to see a LC fight, since I know so little about the tier. And Dwebble was such a pro.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm editing the above post with one little misplay I saw: when you brought in Croagunk against Foongus, you didn't Fake Out it. IDK if it's a glitch or the actual mechanics, but fake out works on PO even if you were switched in.

It was good until I saw the end about Quick Attack. Meowth doesn't get Quick Attack... but overall, decent warstary.

I haven't seen alot of LC warstories, but when I do they're always fun.

That said, this was good. You and Kafey played very well, but not too many things can take an HJK from Mienfoo. 9/10, and good job.

PS: What was your Dwebbles set? Shell Smash?

According to Serebii, chanazn was right in that Meowth does not learn Quick Attack anyway. The only way Kafey would win was if Fake Out is critical, or Hi Jump Kick misses and Mienfoo crashes. I thought somehow you were actually confusing Meowth for another Cat Pokémon. Indeed it is actually Glameow, not Meowth, that can get Quick Attack as an egg move.

I haven't seen alot of LC warstories, but when I do they're always fun.

That said, this was good. You and Kafey played very well, but not too many things can take an HJK from Mienfoo. 9/10, and good job.

PS: What was your Dwebbles set? Shell Smash?
My Dwebble is a suicide lead with Spikes/SR/Toxic/Rock Blast. Because I saw Staryu, I decided not to send it in until Staryu was dead.. which was pretty late game, but oh well

According to Serebii, chanazn was right in that Meowth does not learn Quick Attack anyway. The only way Kafey would win was if Fake Out is critical, or Hi Jump Kick misses and Mienfoo crashes. I thought somehow you were actually confusing Meowth for another Cat Pokémon. Indeed it is actually Glameow, not Meowth, that can get Quick Attack as an egg move.
Thanks for clarifying that :D

It's always nice to see LC warstories, because we need more of them.

Your comments were a bit sparse. I'd suggest more in-depth analyses of the situations in each turn and how it affects the battle overall.

Also I cannot get over how ridiculously DD Scraggy weak your opponent is, which detracted from the experience for me. A good team is not 6-0'd by the biggest threat in the metagame.

pika25, many people say Thundurus is the biggest threat in the OU metagame. Every team needs a counter for it, even though only 13% of the teams run him. Just because Scraggy is good doesn't mean everyone has to run it.

But I'm afraid I have to agree with you, Tobes. I'll try to work on the comments, but I'm really bad at trying to write down what I mean and stuff like that, and again, English is not my first language.

Yay for LC Warstories! Great warstory too. The part with the Staryu and Natural Cure was great. Great formatting and entertaining battle. 9/10.

For the meowth part, there was a little hint of truth in it. Meowth happens to get Feint, the hip new priority.

anyways, for the Warstory, you had a few blips, and not really a close match. Still a 7/10.

Not exactly Quick Attack in terms of power (30 compared to 40) or pp (10 compared to 30) but is able to break through a same-turn Protect. Meowth even gets it at Level 54 in BW according to Serebii.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)