1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Mystic Pokemon

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Chaoswalker, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

[​IMG]
    Yeah, yeah, I'm a Flygon fan. Lots of people will stubbornly try to shoehorn their favorite pokemon into an OU team, but I'm one of the lucky few whose non-OU favorite doesn't suck too badly.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -----Switch Turn Core-------Defensive Core --------Offensive Core----
    Goal: Lay hazards, force switches, and eliminate threats until the enemy team comes into the K.O. range of one of my Choice Scarf users.

I've made some changes to the team, which I've highlighted in red.
    [​IMG]Spirit (Flygon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    Obviously Flygon was the starting point of the team. Without the need for scouting, Flygon's only viable functions become revenge killing and end game sweep. At least his U-Turn and nice stabs allow him to do that. I opted for Stone Edge over fire punch since S.E. can actually KO things, where as F.P. just gives Flygon an ouchy against Ferrothorn.
    [​IMG]Aegis (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Gyro Ball
    - Leech Seed
    - Spikes
    - Protect
    I now needed an effective hazard layer. I chose Ferrothorn for his mixed bulk, covering of dragon weakness, and ability to KO many weakened threats on the switch with Gyroball. I chose spikes over stealth rock as Ferrothorn gets many chances to enter due to his wide array of resistances, and sometimes needs something to do after a well predicted Leech Seed.
    [​IMG]Plasma (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    The next step was to force a butt-load of switches, thus bringing things into Flygon's KO range. This meant Volt-Turn would be in order. I originally chose Scarf Magnezone for his synergy with Flygon and steel type removing abilities, but his lack of speed and half threatening second stab made him a weak contender. Enter Rotom, which has decent enough synergy with the team and brings some nice offensive coverage. Two choice users is a bit of risk, but with the rest of the team being so bulky it pays off well.
    [​IMG]Noble (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Giga Drain
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    I now had a Ferrothorn with a gaping fighting weakness. Jellicent remained from an earlier build where Magnezone was compounding Ferrothorn weaknesses, but he's still Ferrothorn's best pal, and the Will-O-Wisp proves to be hugely useful, especially for crippling enemy Ferros.
    [​IMG]Forge (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Shiny: Yes
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power
    - Sunny Day
    - Stealth Rock
    Clearly the team needed two more things: Stealth rock, and an answer to most steel types. I considered Infernape for this spot, which sounded like a good idea since he could U-turn... but I quickly found the team had plenty of quick frail hitters, and it was time for someone who could dish out and take a hit. The offensive spread was chosen since this is by no means a stall team, and there's already plenty of defense. Now, being the steel killer, I quickly found Politoed to be a thorn in my side, hence the Sunny Day which not only gives him back his ability to roast fire weak pokemon but also boosts his stab and removes water weakness for a time.
    [​IMG]Sprite (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - U-turn
    Celebi has perfect synergy with Heatran, as well as providing more bulky offense. With hidden power it helps even more to remove steel types, as well as being able to U-turn out of trouble and keep up the switch turn.
  2. Vector Lynthos

Vector Lynthos

Interesting team you have here. That Heatran, Jellicent, and Ferrothorn core is fantastic when it comes to setting and keeping hazards.
    I have a few minor suggestions for your Celebi set.
    [​IMG]Sprite (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 31 SAtk / 31 Spd
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Baton Pass
    - Recover
    With the given EV spread you can outspeed positive natured base 70s, while having a little bit more bulk. Seeing as Celebi is this team's only reliable response to Breloom it would be a good idea to have it last as long as possible. Since this Celebi is more of a pivot than a wall breaker, Giga Drain would be a bit more useful than Leaf Storm in the long run as it is a more reliable STAB option and provides extra healing that Celebi would appreciate. Nothing on your team really makes use of the paralysis support so I figured Baton Pass would be a bit more helpful. Baton Pass allows Celebi to escape from common pursuit users such as Scizor and Tyranitar and it also can be used to gain momentum.

Oh, the 0 attack IVs are for minimizing damage you take from Foul Play, and hitting yourself in confusion.
  3. Vector Lynthos

Vector Lynthos

Sorry, double posted.
  4. Hopkinc1

Hopkinc1

I agree mostly with Vectors Idea for Celebi, but replace Baton Pass with one of two things: Heal Bell or U-Turn.... Reason being what would you actually baton pass? You could put calm mind on it and pass that boost to something. If you want a way to keep momentum then you can switch to U-turn, but if you want an offensive cleric feel where you don't need to worry about status too much, then look into Heal Bell.

On Ferrothorn, I'd personally just use stealth rocks and leech seed rather than spikes. The reason is even with one layer of spikes you do good damage, but to get the full effect you need to place 3 layers down, and what if someone uses rapid spin when you don't expect it? all those 3 turns were for nothing. Rocks are a one move thing that unlike Spikes vary in power, but they hit everything. Now that you have a place with rocks on your team, you can free your heatran up. So you can now run this as your Heatran:

[​IMG] Foge(Heatran) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Shiny : Yes
    EV's: 128 HP / 180 SpAtk / 180 Spd
    IV's: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    Modest Nature
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    Hidden Power Ice
    Flame Charge

The idea with this set is that you can switch in on a fire move directed at Celebi (or a pokemon locked into a ground move) and force a switch. On that switch you can use flame charge, boosting your speed, and then sweep with Heatran. If you wanna keep rocks on Heatran though, I'd use a more defensive set with max HP and Sp. Def, and the moves Stealth Rock, Lava Plume, Protect/Will-O-Wisp/Toxic, and Roar. This might actually be a little bit more helpful because you seem to be lacking a dedicated special wall.

You also have two scarfers on your team. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's usually not a good idea. What you can do is you can switch a move on Rotom with Trick. That would cripple Pokemon that usually wall Rotom. The set I personally use for that is:

[​IMG]Plasma (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    Hydro Pump
    Will-O-Wisp
    Trick
    Volt Switch

That way, you can lead with him and cripple any lead that he uses, such as ferrothorn, forretress, skarmory, etc. If you wanna screw them over even more, use Specs instead. That way they have a completely useless item instead of something that helps them set hazards faster.

Everything else looks good though man, good luck!
  5. kennystaraptorchew

kennystaraptorchew

Hi! Awesome team! I've tried it out and this team helps me to easily predict my opponents' moves due to the unique variety of typing of this team. Just a suggestion though, for ur Celebi, I realised that it is rather useless against ferrothorn, scizor and skarmory. I recommend giga drain > leaf storm and HP Fire > recover. Thus, now your health recovery Is thru giga drain. But beware if ur opponent have a tyranitar, it can sponge celebi's moves, even leaf storm, and pursuit trap you. Good luck!
  6. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

I've started trying out some of the suggested changes to Celebi. Giga Drain does a lot better than Leaf Storm since Celebi is not very hit and run. Hidden power fire eases the tension on Heatran to kill all the steel types, while U-turn keeps up momentum and escapes those gosh darn Tyranitars.

I'll consider Heatran changes next, though I certainly won't be dropping Sunny Day any time soon due to my lack of fighting types to kill steels in the rain. In fact, this team really doesn't enjoy most weather, as hail and sandstorm wear down some of my favorite mons. Also I fixed his nickname, lol.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)