1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Mystical Power of Stunfisk (42 on UU ladder, 2000 rating)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Sweep, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sweep

Sweep
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Hello! Some of you might know me as Sweep from Pokemon Showdown. I normally play Ubers but I casually adventure into UU as well, which I regard as one of the most balanced tiers in BW2. I find UU conducive to playstyles such as Stall, Rain, Hail, Hyper Offense, and to a lesser extent Sun. However, I wanted to try a balanced team featuring one of the most underrated Pokemon in the entire tier. The flounder that everyone laughs at and regards as a fancy Magikarp is in fact VERY good in this metagame, possessing the ability to check dangerous threats such as Togekiss and SubCM Raikou. Though Fisk may seem like an inferior Snorlax, one must not forget its ability to set SR, which is crucial for this team.

My team can be classified as "spikes-stacking". The goal is to get up hazards whenever possible throughout the match, keep them up with Sableye while shuffling the opponent's team with Roar Blastoise, and clean late game with Scarf Mienshao. Troublesome walls are handled by the ridiculously versatile LO Victini. So far, this team has been excellent on what is probably the toughest ladder on PS, but I know there is room for improvement as I am not an experienced teambuilder yet. Also, I'll post a ladder peak and perhaps some replays later.

Team at a glance:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Team in detail:

[​IMG]

Ban This (Victini) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Victory Star
    Evs: 200 Attack/52 Special Attack/252 Speed
    Hasty Nature
    -V-create
    -Grass Knot
    -Bolt Strike
    -Glaciate

Oh God is this thing good. I lead with this a fair amount of the time, as it typically matches up well with opposing leads (though not OHKOing Swampert with Grass Knot is a bummer). Basically, V-Create is one of the most spammable moves in UU and is naturally used a lot. The other three moves offer an insane amount of coverage to the already powerful Victini; Grass Knot is a guaranteed OHKO on Specially Defensive Rhyperior after SR with the given EV's, Bolt Strike wounds Milotic and Blastoise badly, and Glaciate (<3) murders Gligar and switch-in Flygon while lowering the opponent's speed. Victini is great, but hates all hazards so I like to get the most mileage out of it possible early-game. Blastoise vs. spinblockers is like the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. the Denver Broncos; I am not delusional about the likelihood of a successful spin.

Other options: I could fit Focus Blast on here somewhere but even with Victory Star, the accuracy is deplorable…I don’t hate Snorlax that much.HP Ice over Glaciate, but Gligar and Flygon are OHKO'd after SR anyway and the speed drop has won me a battle or two. Plus, it's fucking Glaciate.

[​IMG]

Mud God (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    Evs: 248 HP/8 Defense/252 Special Defense (0 attack IVs, fuck you Umbreon)
    Calm Nature
    -Stealth Rock
    -Thunderbolt
    -Earth Power
    -Thunder Wave

This isn't a troll attempt. Stunfisk is actually like…good. REALLY good. Because of its terrific bulk, it has no problem setting up Stealth Rock. It also possesses the ability to check Zapdos, Togekiss, Azelf, Raikou, and to a lesser extent Houndoom and Yanmega. 81 Special Attack may not seem like much, but don't be fooled; this is not a fucking Dusclops. Earth Power 2HKO's Raikou and Cobalion while Thunderbolt sometimes OHKO's Yanmega even without SR. Stunfisk's adequate offensive presence, supreme bulk, and ability to spread paralysis with Thunder Wave and Static (which is HUGE for Victini, helps it outrun faster threats) makes it a natural fit on this team. Also note that Grass Knot spam will not bother the flounder, whose Weightwatchers subscription has paid off.

Other options: I could annoy the opponent with Toxic+Protect, but I like slowing mons down for Victini to blow them up and I don't want to waste an attacking move for Protect. I also considered a physically defensive set to ease the pressure on Blastoise, but I feel that would take away from Stunfisk's main niche in UU; wrecking many Special Attackers.

[​IMG]

Roserade @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Evs: 248 HP/8 Special Attack/252 Special Defense (0 attack IVs)
    Calm Nature
    -Spikes
    -Giga Drain
    -Aromatherapy
    -Synthesis

Probably the most useful member on my team. Roserade removes debilitating Toxic's and Will-O-Wisp's from my Pokemon while finding plenty of opportunities to set up Spikes throughout the match. I need Sableye for Hitmontop but Roserade threatens some other spinners like Kabutops, Claydol, and Blastoise. It also shares terrific synergy with Stunfisk, as it resists Water moves and takes on Kingdra fairly well. Roserade is just a really good Pokemon in this metagame and puts in work every match. Collecting enemy Toxic Spikes is an added bonus as they would otherwise destroy this entire team.

Other options: I don't want Toxic Spikes as good Poison types are not foreign to UU. However, I could consider a set that allows me to always survive an Adamant Crunch from Sharpedo after SR, though I'd imagine this would take a ton of physical defense investment. Sludge Bomb over Aromatherapy could also be useful for spreading Poison.

[​IMG]

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    Evs: 248 HP/252 Defense/8 Special Attack (0 attack IVs)
    Bold Nature
    -Scald
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic
    -Roar

Typical UU Rapid Spinner: spin unreliably, annoy obvious Ghost switchins with Toxic and spam Scald and Roar so you can say you're kinda doing something. Rain Dish is used over Torrent to annoy Rain teams, especially Kabutops trying to break it with repeated Stone Edges. Blastoise is the only physical wall on this team and though it can stay alive a while, the lack of reliable recovery sucks. Bottom line is that Victini needs a spinner to be useful throughout the match and if Blastoise can actually pull off a spin, that'd be swell.

Other options: Blastoise's versatile and unique movepool grants it a variety of options. Ice Beam chops off almost a third of Roserade's health and hits a lot for super effective damage; therefore it's great. Oh, Blastoise gets Fling, maybe I can fling a Light Ball and paralyze Raikou switchins. Better yet, I'll stick to the predictable and often dead-weight support set.

[​IMG]

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    Evs: 248 HP/8 Defense/252 Special Defense (0 attack IV's yet again)
    Calm Nature
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Recover
    -Foul Play

Sableye is a cool mon. I've been playing for a while and am just starting to realize the horrors of what Prankster Taunt can do to stall teams. The ghost typing allows it to spinblock while screwing over Fail Monkey, and STAB Foul Play hits physical attackers hard. I chose to max out Special Defense because WoW sometimes hits and cripples physical attackers. If I should be using a Physically Defensive set let me know! Recover keeps Sableye alive a long time and if I get Toxic'd by desperate spinners on the switch, I don't give a crap because Roserade has Aromatherapy. I should probably speed creep this to beat other Sableye but need help here!

Other Options: Night Shade/Seismic Toss provides reliable damage but I prefer Foul Play due to how hard it can hit mons like switchin Darmanitan. Knock Off can work but I don' have room for it. Like Blastoise, it's not really suffering from much of a 4MSS so the biggest question is whether or not I should run Physically or Specially Defensive.

[​IMG]

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Reckless
    Evs: 252 Attack/4 Defense/252 Speed
    Jolly Nature
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -U-Turn
    -Stone Edge
    -Aerial Ace

I like to save this for late-game because I don't want it to be worn down throughout the match and get picked off by priority (like Honckrow's Sucker Punch). Hi Jump Kick and Reckless make Mienshao one of the most powerful Scarfers in the game, and that ridiculous 105 speed allows it to run almost all other common Scarfers. U-Turn is for when I need to finish off a weakened frail sweeper early/mid game and don't want to get boned by a ghost switchin.Stone Edg is for stuff like Chandy and Aerial Ace destroys Heracross and Virizion. Again, I use Reckless for the extra power, it can nab OHKO's that Regenerator barely misses.

Other Options: Hidden Power Ice to lure Gligar, but Glaciate is such an overpowered move that there's no way the opponent's bat won't be dead by then. Drain Punch over a coverage move is very appealing because Mienshao is blind, but I wouldn't know what to replace.

Issues for this team: No ground/spike immunities, Sun teams, lack of reliable recovery on 4 of 6 mons with no Wish passer, fucking Foresight, Milotic kinda, Cofagrigus

Importable: http://pastebin.com/xcfsBC1C

Shoutouts:

Everyone in #Ubers and #Penis

Frizy (elite user and elite person)

Psychotic (got me into UU in the first place)

Stunner Stars bro (kebabe/eriados/blocko/treecko/etc)
  2. sadoldpoygon22

sadoldpoygon22

Um the only problem I have with this team is can Victini even get Glaciate?! If yes, great use for it, no problems with this team except the fact you gave Meinshao Aerial Ace, a move I really do not like for coverage. Replace Aerial Ace with something easier to use such as Knock Off or such, because Hi Jump Kick packs enough power alone to do more damage than Aerial Ace can ever do supereffectively, also Stone Edge helps with Flying and Bug types already so take off Aerial Ace, yes it OHKOs certain Heracross and Virizion sets but for the mostgt part it is only situational as you have other ways to deal with such threats with Sableye to burn it before it can sweep your entire team.
  3. Punchshroom

Punchshroom para is worse than sleep
    is a Pre-Contributor

Aerial Ace makes Mienshao one of the best Heracross revengers in UU, don't remove it really.

What you could consider is Earthquake on Stunfisk, so you could do more damage to stuff like CM Raikou as well as Roserade on the switch, at the cost of doing less to things like Cobalion and Rhyperior. Run a Sassy nature if you choose to do so.
  4. Sweep

Sweep
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Hmmm I could definitely try Earthquake, thanks. And Victini does get Glaciate :D.
  5. Hack

Hack formerly Hack He Must
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hi Sweep, flounder is very nice :3

Seriously though, I think CB Flygon (basically any EQ user tbh) does a good number on your team, Flygon especially as it gets in for free on flounder :(
    There aren't many deterrents to Flygon in general but some Flying-type or levitator would at least prevent safe EQ spamming. Idk where to find place for one though, as your team structure must be revamped in that case. I guess you will have to play around it with WoW Sableye or something atm.

Love Stunfisk.
  6. Psychotic

Psychotic But in the middle we stay calm, we just drop bombs
    is a Tiering Contributor

Sup Sweep, cool that you decided to use Stunfisk to check a lot of common threats, but I do see two huge weaknesses that need to be addressed.
    [​IMG]==>[​IMG]
    Right now, Choice Band Flygon and Guts Heracross have no checks on your team besides Mienshao, and you have to let something die to get Shao in. Flygon can spam Earthquake, and Heracross can spam Megahorn because your team has no resistances to either of these moves. Since this team is based around Stunfisk, I don't want to replace that, so I will recommend instead replacing Victini with Physically Defensive Togekiss. This Togekiss adds the two resistances your team desperately needs, discouraging Flygon from spamming Earthquake and easily taking Heracross Megahorns. Togekiss also lures in the Electric types which are setup fodder for Stunfisk, and, if you can keep it healthy until lategame, it easily deals with lategame scarfers and attackers. Here are some calcs against the most common cleaners in the tiier.

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 186-219 (49.86 - 58.71%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO
    252 Atk Heracross Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 158-188 (42.35 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 183-216 (49.06 - 57.9%) -- 55.86% chance to 2HKO
    252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 133-156 (35.65 - 41.82%) -- 86.99% chance to 3HKO

Togekiss is ridiculously effective lategame, and it gives you the solid check to Scarf Hera and Band Flygon that your team needs.

Suggested Changes:
    Show Hide
    Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Nasty Plot
    - Roost
    - Thunder Wave
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. Sweep

Sweep

Thanks for the rates! I will definitely try Togekiss, seems to synergize well with the team and as you and Hack noted, I really need a Ground immunity.
  8. Moose V

Moose V

I applaud your clever use of stunfisk. Although is seems Rhyperior would generally outclass it, you seem to have a nice little niche for it on your team.

I agree with psych that togekiss could help a lot but I'd suggest specially defnesive kiss over physically defensive. Sableye and Blastoise already take fighting and fire hits respectively and stunfisk complements its special coverage pretty well (I.E takes care of electric types). You could also replace nasty plot with heal bell and give roserade sludge bomb if you so desire. If you stick with victini, I'd replace glaciate with psychic/zen headbutt simply because victini is a nuke and glaciate, though cool, doesn't help with nuking potential.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)