The name thread (where you do not necessarily have to give your name)

my name is rylan and i really love it. it's pronounced like dylan, but with an r. not rye-linn, or rye-luhn, but rill-uhn. it's an irish name and i'm fond of it. my parents were going to name me ryan, but apparently that wasn't "unique" enough. hence, rylan. but hey, one of my best friends name is thaddeus, so i guess i'm not alone in the somewhat different name department.

my name is rylan and i really love it. it's pronounced like dylan, but with an r. not rye-linn, or rye-luhn, but rill-uhn. it's an irish name and i'm fond of it. my parents were going to name me ryan, but apparently that wasn't "unique" enough. hence, rylan. but hey, one of my best friends name is thaddeus, so i guess i'm not alone in the somewhat different name department.
Has your friend ever been told his name was used in a Phineas and Ferb episode? I just recognised the name and remember it from this episode.

My first name (John) is apparently not a super common name anymore (at least in this country). It's pretty normal so I'm quite happy with it.

My last name will be changed shortly because fuck the person I share it with.

Last edited:
My name is Anthony, chosen primarily by my father. Growing up, he gave himself the nickname Tony because his birth name was ethnic and relatively easy to make fun of (must've been hell in middle school/junior high). I like my name because it's practical, easy to pronounce and spell, and it's grown on me to the point where I'm far too proud of it to even consider changing names.

How do you feel about your own real-life name? Do you like it? Is it too weird? Is it too basic? Any funny name stories to share, perhaps name change stories, or naming stories? This is pretty much a thread for your nombres and nombres only, but you don't necessarily have to say your name if you want to post. Just talk about it.

For example, my name is quite weird (I use a pseudonym here) to the point where everybody, and I mean everybody I have ever met, has mispronounced it on the first try. It's not that I'm a foreigner, since I'm pretty sure only about 3 people in the world share my first name (and nobody shares my whole one). Sometimes I like it, and sometimes (when I correct people and then they forget again) they hate it.
Well my name is Ben. I don't really like it only because its so plain, though it does come with some hilarious and some not so hilarious kindergarten puns (that don't bother me).

Ben Dover
Where ya been, Ben?
Bent
Its Ben real.
Benny n the jets
Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Button

Etc...

Sorry for the double post but I'de like too add that my brother is Tucker and he is hilariously forbidden from being involved in the "Name Song"

Tucker Tucker
Bo Bucker
Banana-fanna Fo... You get it.

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Well my name is Ben. I don't really like it only because its so plain, though it does come with some hilarious and some not so hilarious kindergarten puns (that don't bother me).

Ben Dover
Where ya been, Ben?
Bent
Its Ben real.

Etc...
Heh... I know the feels man. My name is Ben too. I go through this shit every day.

"Ben there, Done that."

I also get a bunch of horrible names with Ben in it ;;

"Ben 10" <--- OverUsed a'f
"Uncle Ben's Rice"
"Benjamin button"
"Benny Blanco" <---- Fuck this guy
"Ben Stiller" <---- fuck that guy too.

Also, my name isn't Benjamin.

"What do ya mean? Your name isn't Benjamin? That's so stupid. Your name can't just be Ben."
"Sorry to disappoint you. It's just Ben..."

Heh... I know the feels man. My name is Ben too. I go through this shit every day.

"Ben there, Done that."

"Uncle Ben's Rice"
"Benjamin button"

"What do ya mean? Your name isn't Benjamin? That's so stupid. Your name can't just be Ben."
I am so mad thay your name is just Ben... Jelly extrodinaire.

Edit: also the uncle bens rice thing... I got 3 nephews and a niece, that ones great with the kids...

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I am so mad thay your name is just Ben... Jelly extrodinaire.

Edit: also the uncle bens rice thing... I got 3 nephews and a niece, that ones great with the kids...
Hah, i'm an uncle to 2, but they're a little too young now. Can't wait for that....

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
I can't tell you my name- what if the government's watching? But I can say that it sounds like a goddamn tree. I am constantly reminded of this fact.

my parents for some forsaken reason named me Einar in a country where Rs aren't pronounced so my name is pronounced eɪnaa. I tell people to just call me Dan. Also I really don't like my surname as it has Jewish connotations even though my family renounced the religion several generations ago, I'm probably going to change it when I'm older.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

"Ben there, Done that."

"Uncle Ben's Rice"
"Benjamin button"

Here's some even worse news for you: Ben means stupid in Mandarin Chinese.

My name's Thomas, but tbh no one uses that any more. When we lived in the US I used to be super anal about 'no nicknames!', but when we moved back to Australia no one gave a shit, and I got so used to being called Tom that it's how I refer to myself now.

My last name is much more interesting. It's vaguely Scottish (I think?) REALLY far back, so Inglis is pronounced Ingles. I also have red hair, and all of this combined has lead to a rather diverse list of nicknames I respond to, including, but not limited to:

Pringles (I actually like this one)
Ranga
Tank (Thomas the Tank Engine...? I don't like this one :/)
Tingles

and the pick of the bunch,
Orange Fruity Tingles. I swear to god if you call me this I'm going to find you and kill you.

My middle name is a secret, I honestly don't think anybody other than me and my parents knows what it is. Edit: also probably grandparents but point still stands.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm kinda unusual in that I'm a brit with an absolutely insane number of middle names. My full name is Martin [redacted Sept 8th 2018] (try saying that in under three seconds) and right through year nine my life was made a living hell by people making me say it for their own amusement. Nowadays I just go by my forename, my first two middle names and my surname because it saves time, sounds better and means that I don't have to say it to people every five seconds. Edit (26/4/2016, British order): Also it is good 'cause I've finally found a free PS! alt with the name Martin in it that doesn't look or sound stupid which utilises it well (Martin SAE).
all of this combined has lead to a rather diverse list of nicknames I respond to, including, but not limited to:

Pringles (I actually like this one)
Ranga
Tank (Thomas the Tank Engine...? I don't like this one :/)
Tingles
Hey I think I found you
On a serious note though the fact that people call you Tingles and Orange Fruity Tingles is straight-up mean more than anything.

Last edited:
I'm kinda unusual in that I'm a brit with an absolutely insane number of middle names. My full name is Martin Samuel Anthony Devenport McIntyre Sawyer Evans (try saying that in under three seconds) and right through year nine my life was made a living hell by people making me say it for their own amusement.

Hey I think I found you
On a serious note though the fact that people call you Tingles and Orange Fruity Tingles is straight-up mean more than anything.
To be fair the fruity tingles one was more of a joke than anything else, and I'm not in touch with a lot of the people who stared it any more anyway. And tingles on it's own is ok because it's literally my sign in user name for all the school related shit, because they do first letter of your first name and your last name. For example, someone else has 'BLing'.

my most common nickname is defined as a common housepet and I've kind of gotten used to the puns relating to anything and everything feline.

I've embraced this wholeheartedly; Meow. Cat is a nice nickname to have, and I'm rather happy with "Catherine" instead of "Katherine" or perhaps even "Kateryn" (which I've seen). It's a fairly common name but with it's length, it allows for a lot of nicknames so that everyone introduces themselves to me in a different way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)