The Names Entei, Got it memorized?

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Hello and welcome to my 2nd and hopefully better structured RMT. As the name suggests, this team will be based more or less around Entei. This team was put together by a challenge issued by one of my friends and the catch was to grab whatever pokemon you had lying around in you box; needless to say, I won. What initially started out as an opportunity to use the Mega-Venusaur I had lying around also became an opportunity to use a Choice Band Sacred Fire Entei.

Team Building Process

As some of you may already know, Venusaur has been given a very different role this gen. From a godly sun sweeper to a bulky tank that never seizes to irritate the foe. For these reasons I chose to use Mega-Venusaur as my mega and base of the team.

Since Entei was just sitting in my PC every since Bank was released in North America, I decided to throw him in here simply because he's my favorite of the Beast Trio, and because him learns Sacred Fire this gen.

So now that I had the two stars of the team in mind it was time to add in my defensive core. I added Empoleon for Defog/Stealth Rock/ Knock Off Support and to have a FWG core. He also handles Specs Latios pretty well. Landorus-T was added to the mix for Talonflame, Garchomp, etc. I also threw in Conkeldurr as a status absorber and a Heatran Check.

The final addition to my team was Rotom Wash. Originally part of my FWG, I changed his role from Sp.Def wall to Lead Choice Scarfer. Not much else to say so lets move on to the team analysis.

Team Analysis

Mary Jane (Venusaur) (F) @Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP/ 196 Def/ 60 Sp.Def
Bold Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
- Synthesis
Do I honestly need to explain the nick name? Mega Venusaur can eat up any move that isn't Flying or Psychic-typed. Synthesis and Giga Drain give Venusaur reliable recovery to further increase it's lastability. Sludge Bomb is here to mainly hit Fariy-types such as Togekiss and Sylveon, both of which like to switch in on Venusaur. I once ran earthquake to hit Aegislash and Heatran but scraped it just before my match due to my other teammates being able to deal with those two rather easily. Sleep Powder is here to... I don't know. Put something to Sleep? What else is it used for, abduction maybe? Who knows.

Axel (Entei) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
-Extreme Speed
-Sacred Fire
- Iron Head Bulldoze
-Stone Edge
Man do I wish I could nick name this in game, but can you blame me? I'm a bit of a Kingdom Hearts Fanatic if you can't tell. Lets face it, Entei would not be as viable in the current OU Meta Game if it weren't for Sacred Fire. Though I'm a little bummed Entei is locked into Adamant Nature do to the event, I can at least rest assured that I'm going to hit so fucking hard with a 50% chance of getting the burn on my opponent. Speaking of burn, if you don't already know, Sacred Fire has a 50% chance to burn and if I were to be some how frozen, I immediately thaw out. If you're feeling really ballsy you can spam Sacred Fire for the satisfaction of crippling some switch ins on Entei. Extreme Speed is one of the moves Event Entei comes with and I must say it comes in handy when revenge killing Talonflame so long as they stay in (Seriously there was a guy who was winning until I did that. Guess he really wanted to make use of his swords dance boost.) Iron Head is for the Fairies of course. Lastly, we have Stone Edge for coverage. I've found myself almost never using Iron Head and because of my cautious plays when Heatran is around, I was advised to change Iron Head to Bulldoze.

Señor Waddles (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SAtk/ 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Roar
- Defog
It's the same Empoleon used in my previous RMT. Every since the Defog Buff Empoleon and Scizor have been my go to defoggers on any team that required one. The EV ensures I take alot of hits on the special side. Waddles here has taken a Focus Blast to the face from an Alakazam and still survived. Scald is here for a STAB water attack and a chance to inflict burn. Stealth Rocks do what they always do. Knock Off is for just about everything really. Roar is an alternative since I run 2 pokemon with Knock Off, but most set up sweepers are physical and can knock out waddles before I get to roar. Defog to is clear away all hazards and allow Entei to hit and run.
Here are my calcs: 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 250-296 (67.2 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 192-228 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 234-276 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 210-248 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 182-216 (48.9 - 58%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, he's that bulky.

Been Liftin' (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 8 Def / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
It's your average cookie cutter Conkeldurr. Rotom has a tendency of spamming will-o-wisp and I really don't want anything burned so I added Conkeldurr as my Status Absorber and Check to Rotom and Heatran. The EVs are what you'd come to expect from Conkeldurr. I do not in anyway want to hold back when it comes to hitting things so I maxed out Atk and dumped the rest into my defences with a little extra in speed so I can speed creep other Conks. Drain Punch is for reliable recovery as well as a decent Fighting move to make use of STAB. Mach Punch there just in case I need to knock something out quick. Knock Off is just a must on Conkeldurr; you could say it's Conkeldurr's icing on the cake. Ice Punch is for coverage and mainly to hit Landorus-I and T. Despite the Intimidate drop it still does alot of damage. I would love to back this up with a damage calc but most Lando-T don't have the same spread.

Charlie Sheen (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Spd / 32 Atk / 212 Def
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Oh Landorus, how I love you so. This guy right here, he's on every team I own, not this set in particular as I like to change things up, but in some cases I use this one alot. What could said about Landorus that hasn't been said already; the dude rocks. EVs make it so that I can take two outrages from garchomp after the intimidate drop and retaliate with HP Ice and still have a manageable speed and attack stat. Earthquake is to hit Steel and Electric types as well as hit a couple of things for neutral damage. U-turn is for gaining momentum since having momentum is always nice and it forms a little volt-turn core with Rotom. HP Ice is for dealing with Gliscor, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, and opposing Landorus.

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
The oh so adaptable Rotom-Wash. Rotom was originally apart of my FWG core until I realized I had a Fire type who needed a water type with defog. Rotom was added back to the team this time with a choice scarf as I really needed one with volt switch. Im aware that there are other qualified for the job just Rotom has Levitate so screw those guys. Volt Switch is to gain momentum and forms a Volt-turn core with Lando. HP Ice is for emergency OHKO on Dragons. Trick is for annoying Stall Pokemon. An added bonus is this particular Rotom is 3HKO'ed by Talonflame, so if I need to I'll bring Rotom in on Talonflame

Threats

Mega Frikin' Gyarados: IMO, best wallbreaker ever. The dude can plow through my team Mid or Late game. Mold Breaker + Ice Fang at plus one= No fucks given about Venusaur. If he gets to plus two I'm as good as dead.

Mega Medicham: Not as common as Gyarados and can be played around, but will definately leave a mark.

Bisharp: I don't ever defog if this thing is still around, but when I'm backed into a corner Bisharp comes out to play, and when he does, I will lose.
Conclusion
I know somebody is gonna say it, so why not let it be me. This team can be improved a lot by ditching Entei for Talonflame. I've tried and it works, but that's not what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a way to keep Entei who btw is my only heavy hitter and answer to just about everything. Thanks for sticking around this long, I appreciate it. Anyways, that's my team and I welcome all net deckers... wait thats yugioh. I welcome all those who steal teams since they actually help me out with improvements and finding other threats. Thank you and rate away.

Changes done in red

Last edited:
Hi there, interesting team you got here. Sacred Fire is a beastly move, and it does make Entei pretty viable. Though you really should use Bulldoze on Entei, replace Iron Head with it. Iron Head doesn't really hit anything (Fairies only take a little amount more damage from it than Sacred Fire, without the burn chance), and Bulldoze OHKOes Heatran after SR which is a really big deal, as it laughs at all your other moves.

Also, I think you could get more out of Sacred Fire burns. For example, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Gyarados are common switchins to Entei, and something that appreciates those being burned likes Entei as its teammate. Also, as far as threats to your team go, I think Latios is a big one. I've seen a lot of Latios carry Thunderbolt which 2HKOes your only switchin, which also lacks recovery. I agree with the fact that Medicham is a big threat as well, you really have no switchins since your Fighting resists are KOed by Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt. Mega Gyarados and Bisharp I feel are managable. The former is dealt with by a combination of Venusaur (Ice Fang is rare from my experience) and Rotom-W (outspeeds even at +1). Also, Bisharp does limit your options, but on the other hand you got two solid switchins in Venusaur and Conkeldurr.

What you could try is using Aegislash > Empoleon, and moving Stealth Rock to Landorus-T. Aegislash is a solid switchin to both Latios and Medicham, as neither can hit him that hard. Latios is pretty much unable to 2HKO, though Medicham might 2HKO with Fire Punch if he predicts the switchin. However, that goes for pretty much anything and the combination of Aegislash and Landorus-T you should be fine vs Medicham. Aegislash also appreciates Entei, as burning Landorus-T etc., allows Aegislash to have no problem with its most common switchins.

Now, you do lose Defog, but if you really feel like you need it you can use Gliscor > Landorus-T and use it with Defog. Though, I feel you should be fine without, Entei really only comes in a couple of times anyway from my experience. Yes, Stealth Rock hurts, but after it has burned Landorus-T / Tyranitar / whatever, that should be it usually. (Though if you play Entei different from what I do, try Gliscor at the cost of Intimidate, and see if you like it).

GL

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Hi there, interesting team you got here. Sacred Fire is a beastly move, and it does make Entei pretty viable. Though you really should use Bulldoze on Entei, replace Iron Head with it. Iron Head doesn't really hit anything (Fairies only take a little amount more damage from it than Sacred Fire, without the burn chance), and Bulldoze OHKOes Heatran after SR which is a really big deal, as it laughs at all your other moves.

Also, I think you could get more out of Sacred Fire burns. For example, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Gyarados are common switchins to Entei, and something that appreciates those being burned likes Entei as its teammate. Also, as far as threats to your team go, I think Latios is a big one. I've seen a lot of Latios carry Thunderbolt which 2HKOes your only switchin, which also lacks recovery. I agree with the fact that Medicham is a big threat as well, you really have no switchins since your Fighting resists are KOed by Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt. Mega Gyarados and Bisharp I feel are managable. The former is dealt with by a combination of Venusaur (Ice Fang is rare from my experience) and Rotom-W (outspeeds even at +1). Also, Bisharp does limit your options, but on the other hand you got two solid switchins in Venusaur and Conkeldurr.

What you could try is using Aegislash > Empoleon, and moving Stealth Rock to Landorus-T. Aegislash is a solid switchin to both Latios and Medicham, as neither can hit him that hard. Latios is pretty much unable to 2HKO, though Medicham might 2HKO with Fire Punch if he predicts the switchin. However, that goes for pretty much anything and the combination of Aegislash and Landorus-T you should be fine vs Medicham. Aegislash also appreciates Entei, as burning Landorus-T etc., allows Aegislash to have no problem with its most common switchins.

Now, you do lose Defog, but if you really feel like you need it you can use Gliscor > Landorus-T and use it with Defog. Though, I feel you should be fine without, Entei really only comes in a couple of times anyway from my experience. Yes, Stealth Rock hurts, but after it has burned Landorus-T / Tyranitar / whatever, that should be it usually. (Though if you play Entei different from what I do, try Gliscor at the cost of Intimidate, and see if you like it).

GL
Thanks for the rate. Im definately dropping iron head for bulldoze since i rarely use it. Latios is not an issue. A latios switch can be seen a mile away and if it comes in empoleon can deal with it(sorta). So long as i get a knock off on him then im fine with losing empoleon. I chose empoleon because of his incredible utility and if i got rid of him then i cant use SR which is crutial for talonflame,charizard,dragonite, etc. Stealth Rock on Landorus is not an option because I need that specific move slot to hit rock weak threats. Aegislash sounds nice, but he doesn't last very long. As for Defog Gliscor, a gliscor without poison heal is a gliscor not worth using IMO. Either way gliscor is too much of a stall pokemon and Venusaur fills that slot pretty well. I personally find gliscor inferior to landorus in place of this for 2 big reasons. Reason 1. Intimidate
Reason 2. Hp ice. You're right about Entei not coming in alot I noticed after my first battle but since he is my heavy hitter I want him to have as much HP as possible.

I would suggest moving Stealth Rock to Lando-T over HP Ice, since it is no longer as relevant as last generation. I would then have ice beam on Empoleon for more coverage, as I find it very useful.

Now to deal with the threats stated, I would say that move some of your SpD EV's onto physical defense on conkeldurr. Conkeldurr can easily beat Bisharp with mach punch, and beats mega-gyara most of the time with HP/Defense investment.

Very solid team!

However, i do have a suggestion to make: HP Ice on Rotom is not necessary. You already have 2 pokemon with ice coverage. Also, most dragons will DD and be faster than your Rotom anyways. So, i suggest this set:
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

With thunderbolt you can hit Gyarados much harder and also serves as a nice stab move.

On another note: How does your team fare against Life Orb Mixed Kyurem-B? Ice Beam hits Venusaur and Landorus, Earth Power for Empoleon, Rotom and Entei. The only thing that can switch in is Conkeldur who will not appreciate a Fusion Bolt.

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
Very solid team!

However, i do have a suggestion to make: HP Ice on Rotom is not necessary. You already have 2 pokemon with ice coverage. Also, most dragons will DD and be faster than your Rotom anyways. So, i suggest this set:
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

With thunderbolt you can hit Gyarados much harder and also serves as a nice stab move.

On another note: How does your team fare against Life Orb Mixed Kyurem-B? Ice Beam hits Venusaur and Landorus, Earth Power for Empoleon, Rotom and Entei. The only thing that can switch in is Conkeldur who will not appreciate a Fusion Bolt.
Thanks for the rate. After some more play testing i have it ridiculous to have 2 hp ice users and did swap hp ice for t-bolt. It does help my gyarados situation so thank you for that. You know, i've only ever faced leftovers sub kyurem-b and lost one poke to it, but life orb kyurem-b sounds troublesome. What would you suggest i do? Also i feel as though rotom and empoleon are my weakest links so i've swaped Rotom for a Prankster t-wave Thunderus-I and am undecided what to do with emopleon.

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
I would suggest moving Stealth Rock to Lando-T over HP Ice, since it is no longer as relevant as last generation. I would then have ice beam on Empoleon for more coverage, as I find it very useful.

Now to deal with the threats stated, I would say that move some of your SpD EV's onto physical defense on conkeldurr. Conkeldurr can easily beat Bisharp with mach punch, and beats mega-gyara most of the time with HP/Defense investment.
Thank you for the rate. When I first started the team there was a little voice in my head telling me that hp ice on Landoruds kinda unneccessary. Just needed someone to tell me im right. So i've been thinking of swaping lando for skarmory and swapping empoleon for something else thats deals with latios. Air balloon aegislash maybe?

Thanks for the rate. After some more play testing i have it ridiculous to have 2 hp ice users and did swap hp ice for t-bolt. It does help my gyarados situation so thank you for that. You know, i've only ever faced leftovers sub kyurem-b and lost one poke to it, but life orb kyurem-b sounds troublesome. What would you suggest i do? Also i feel as though rotom and empoleon are my weakest links so i've swaped Rotom for a Prankster t-wave Thunderus-I and am undecided what to do with emopleon.
If you don't mind about radically changinf your team i suggest that you put Aegislash over Empoleon. You can go for a specially defensive set of a standard mixed offensive one. Here are the sets you can choose from:

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate [Offensive]
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 HP / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Aegislash @ Leftovers [Defensive]
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head
- Shadow Ball

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
If you don't mind about radically changinf your team i suggest that you put Aegislash over Empoleon. You can go for a specially defensive set of a standard mixed offensive one. Here are the sets you can choose from:

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate [Offensive]
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 HP / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Aegislash @ Leftovers [Defensive]
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
Because you are the one who brought up the kyurem weakness i'd like to know your thoughts on what aegislash can do about that

Because you are the one who brought up the kyurem weakness i'd like to know your thoughts on what aegislash can do about that
Kyurem B can never ohko specially defensive Aegislash even if it is holding a life orb. Aegi can toxic Kyurem, king's shield on it and hit it with gyro ball. And since mixed variants usually have hasty nature it will hurt gim quite a bit!

Just floating through Smogon, wanted to point something out here.

Defensive Aegi to counter/check Cube is a pretty bad idea. SubCube is the most popular of all Cube's. Sub can eat up Toxic, and get 2 Earth Powers off before it takes any actual damage. Plus, Rash is the more popular choice for Cube, giving it more protection against Priority. Good team anyways :)

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
I've ran into a complication with my laptop( Got locked out and forgot my password) I cannot test the suggestions I've received. If someone were kind enough to try skarmory over landorus, offencive aegislash over empoleon, and Thunderus I with T-Wave over rotom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)