The New 3DS

Which one will you get?

• New 3DS

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • New 3DS XL

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This thread is about general discussion and thoughts on Nintendo's new upgrade to the 3DS and 3DS XL with added features,better 3D,more processing power etc. It was announced this morning in a Japanese 3DS Direct. In case you missed it here's the reveal video.

Personally I really like the changes this will bring although it'll be expensive to trade in my regular 3DS for a New XL. Along with this, a remake of Xenoblade Chronicles was announced and it was said to be an exclusive to the new model. This finally gives me a chance to play it before Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out(as long as I can get a copy). What do you guys think?

It seems rily nice. Really Like how you can customize the outside design of it. Better CPU and display is great. However not being able to play certain games sucks ass for regular 3ds owners and the C-stick seems too small. I also heard that you have to pay to use the internet browser, although this may not be true. I actually really hope that games like COD and other FPS games now come to the 3ds thanks to its better control scheme.

Also Xenoblade Chronicles looks like shit in the trailer they showcased it in. I really hope the developers improve the graphics engine before it is released.

Pisses me off so much. I don't want to buy a new console just to play games I should be able to play on my old console. Not only that, but I just don't see much reason to buy this. The second analog stick looks really awkward and the ZL and ZR buttons seem extremely unneeded. Hell even if they did they could just make it an optional thing you could add to the 3ds like they did with a second analog stick. I hate this. :|

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
looking forward to og 3ds prices dropping so i can finally try this newfangled pokemon x and have a BLACK CHARIZARD!!!!

Won't be buying unless I have to, which is only if the new Pokemon games require it since I do VGC.

This just screams money grab to me, the c-stick looks worthless being so tiny, how do you even use it? Improved 3d, I don't care since I have it shut off 99% of the time anyways. Improved processor, meh, at least give us a totally new generation instead of minor performance upgrades that now have games likely discriminating and not against older models to try forcing people to buy them, which will just piss off consumers since it still just says 3DS.

Eh that's my rant anyways, it's not a fit for me. Unless a future Pokemon game after ORAS requires it (I doubt ORAS will since it's so near release while this doesn't even have a release date here), I'll pass in favor of waiting for the actual next gen, not a minor upgrade.

Pisses me off so much. I don't want to buy a new console just to play games I should be able to play on my old console. Not only that, but I just don't see much reason to buy this. The second analog stick looks really awkward and the ZL and ZR buttons seem extremely unneeded. Hell even if they did they could just make it an optional thing you could add to the 3ds like they did with a second analog stick. I hate this. :|
Xenoblade Chronicles wouldn't run on a OG 3DS so there's that :P

How is this just a new model of the 3DS if it can play games the old 3DS can't? That makes it a new console doesn't it?

How is this just a new model of the 3DS if it can play games the old 3DS can't? That makes it a new console doesn't it?
The DSi had a select few games that were only playable on that system and was not classified as a new system, so no.
Anyways, I feel as if the exclusive game shit is being blown out of proportion. 95% of the games exclusive to this system will most likely be ports of old Wii games that we have already played and no third-party developer would be stupid enough to exclude the 41 million current 3ds owners.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Still defending Nintendo on this move. If it wasn't for the New 3DS, the New 3DS exclusives would not exist on 3DS at all. Nintendo hasn't/will not abandon their install base of 44 million users for a long time. If it was a new console, they'd announce it at E3 or a major digital event. 3DS owners should not be panicking or saving up for a New 3DS unless they really want to play the games that can't be run on the current one.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
'New 3DS' without any sort of ambassador program or what have you is absolute bullshit, but whatever.

This is kind of nintendo's 'thing' by now. People think apple's bad, but Nintendo comes out with like six or seven styles of handheld each generation. The only really surprising think is the exclusive games but whatever.

No sense in bitching, you know we're all going to buy one anyways like the crack addicts we are.

It really needs some actual exclusives, a Xenoblade re-release is nice and all (and will probably be better than the Wii version simply because second stick means easy camera control) but otherwise the extra processing power and second stick aren't really being used for much.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Considerable hardware fragmentation within a single generation leaving a game unplayable in the older iteration of the same console (xenoblade + many future games) is absolute bullshit.
this

and it's still region locked......

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Im only going to back nintendo on this move as the increased power will make the Ice Climbers playable in smash without either crashing the system or running at ~5 FPS.

It is a dumb move if you exclude that factor tho. As much as I like the idea of being able to control my B-Airs without having to slow down or reverse my movement, the crappy position choice and tiny size will make it a pain in the butt to quickly switch between the button pad and the control C-Stick, while the Z buttons are in the disgusting place they were on the original Wii classic controller (not pro), and trust me when I say that it isn't a good thing.

Also what is the point of making Amiibo work on the touch screen if it will make it completely unplayable .-.

I do like the SNES-style ABXY buttons on the white one though. Very retro.

Actually, I am also going to appreciate the higher speed as the current one is SOOO slow when loading a load of software.

The new 3D will make it easier for others to watch you play, but I'm worried that it will come at the cost of depth and/or the ability to render models at multiple depths.

Overall, I am not sure how happy I am about this. It seems to be too obvious an extention strategy than I am comfortable with, just like Coke Life. I am worried that this is very hit-or-miss, and that, if it flops, it will have negative effects that will negate any glory that Nintendo got after winning so many awards at the start of this month (nintendo won developer of the year, smash won best fighting game of the year and they won a few others which I have forgotten what they are) and leave the company in a spot of trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)