The New LC Usage-Based Threat List [PLEASE CONTRIBUTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't really like how this turned out :< c'mon guys, post pokémon for the threat list!

Reserving Larvesta.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was gonna do foongus... although, it was like 2 months ago when i reserved it so you can have it :)

Reserving Pawniard!

Sandshrew

Base Stats: 50 Hp / 75 Atk / 85 Def / 20 SpA / 30 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Sand Veil / Sand Rush
Roles:Physical Set-Up Sweeper, Support

When battlers first think of a sandstorm sweeper in LC, the first pokemon that comes to their mind is Drilbur. Why Drilbur because Drilbur is the best sandstorm sweeper in the tier. That is why when looking for a sandstorm sweeper this small little armadillo named sandshrew is overlooked. Sandshrew is not that common of a pokemon in LC and is mostly used onside of Hippopotas and Drilbur. Sandslash most often job is to weaken up most threats to allow other pokemon namely Drilbur to finish off whats left of the team. Sandshrew also contains Swords Dance allowing for itself to sweep a team like Drilbur. Sandshrew can also take a support role by setting up hazards with Stealth Rock and spinning away hazards with Rapid Spin. Sandshrew might seem completely outclassed by Drilbur because Drilbur has better attack, speed, and hp, However, Sandshrew has better bulk(on the physical side) allowing it to survive alot of strong attacks which gives it something over Drilbur. Overall Sandshrew can be a good pokemon in LC if given the right support and roles it can complete. And should not be overlooked for a good sweeper in sandstorm.
Hope it wasn't too bad LOL

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Larvesta

Base Stats: 55 HP/ 85 Atk / 55 Def / 50 SpAtk / 55 SpDef / 60 Spe
Abilities: Flame Body / Swarm
Roles: Bulky Attacker, Pivot, Scout

Despite its massive Stealth Rock weakness, Larvesta can really pull its wait on a team. It can easily check any Fighting type that lack Rock-type attacks, and deter most physical attackers with the threat of a burn from its incredibly useful ability Flame Body. On top of that many players run Will-o-Wisp to ensure a burn on physical threats. While 55 across the board may not seem like ideal defensive stats, with Eviolite and the semi-reliable recovery move Morning Sun Larvesta becomes a rather bulky bug. Larvesta is not all about being on the defensive though; Larvesta’s true power lies in its huge attack stat; reaching 19 with a positive nature and max EVs. From that stat it can fire off incredibly powerful STAB Flare Blitzs that will seriously dent anything that does not resist it. Additionally, it gets STAB on U-Turn, which can turn it into a deadly scout. Some players even opt to use Choice Scarf Larvesta for the aforementioned scouting ability, as well as to revenge kill things with that powerful Flare Blitz. Wild Charge often rounds off Larvesta’s attacking moves, allowing him to hit Water types that resist his main STAB. One must be careful when using Larvesta though; Stealth Rocks and the recoil from his attacks can cause him to quickly tear himself down. Still, if you can afford a Rapid Spinner on your team (Staryu makes a great partner to the firebug) Larvesta is a great defensive and offensive threat.

Quick write-up. Hope it doesn't look too bad.
I can give a quick review because Larvesta <3

This is a pretty nice explanation; you covered most major points well. Be sure to include that its unique typing gives it a resistance to Grass, Fighting, Bug, and Ice type attacks- letting it wall a significant amount of threats, such as Mienfoo or Snover.

Also, U-turn is extremely important for Larvesta, as it forces a lot of switches and can hit switch ins for a lot of damage as well as pivot out for momentum. More emphasis on Morning Sun, too, as not even all reliable walls get better recovery than that, despite its weakened healing under weather.

Is Choice Scarf Larvesta really a thing? I honestly have never seen even one. That's not really worth mentioning, in my opinion. Larvesta's main niche is bulky pivoting and burn support- taking its Evilite away takes away Larvesta's bulk and longevity as well as its only unique niche. (Scarf Darumaka > Scarf Larvesta anyway)

I'll be reviewing more in the future, so be sure to get your paragraphs done, guys!

Reserving pony >:3

Ponyta
Type: Fire
Base Stats: 50 HP/ 85 Atk / 55 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 90 Spe
Abilities: Flash Fire / Flame Body
Roles : Pivot / Physical Sweeper

Having great Speed and Attack while having decent bulk makes Ponyta something to watch out for. It has good coverage between STAB Flare Blitz, Wild Charge and Return and it has access to Flame Charge; Add a Life Orb and a potential Flash Fire boost to that and you have something that is incredibly hard to wall. But due to Life Orb, Flare Blitz and Wild Charge recoil it will wear itself down pretty fast. However, Ponyta is known to be one of the greatest Pivots in LC due to it's great overall stats. With an Eviolite and it's access to Morning Sun it is quite hard to take out, while still hitting hard and having great speed. It also has Flame Body to burn unsuspecting physical attackers like Mienfoo. It can run a Sunny Day set to great success due to Flare Blitz hitting harder, healing more with Morning Sun, potentially ruining Sand teams, and hitting her usual checks (e.g. Chinchou, Ground types) with Solarbeam.

Please point out if you see any mistakes or weird sentence orders. My grammar is horrid.

Last edited:
I can try to be useful; Reserved Riolu
I see Riolu LC Hub Description has been done by Electrolyte. So I reserve Ferroseed, i can start it from July 15th.

Ferroseed
Type: Steel / Grass
Base Stats: 44 HP / 50 Atk / 91 Def / 24 SpA / 86 SpD / 10 Spe
Abilities: Iron Barbs
Roles : Bulky Wall / Entry Hazard

Ferroseed with its particular typing and excellent defensive stats can be considered to be definitely a great defensive pokemon. First of all its ability: like its evolution Ferrothorn, Iron Barbs will deal damage to the opponent if Ferroseed is hit by a contact move. That's useful against opponent spinner and and U-turn too. Stealth Rock and Spikes, leads us to use it as a very good entry hazard; Leech Seed and Protect are a easy way to bypass dangerous attacks (like fire- or Fighting-type attacks) and recovery HP, the possible use of Thunder Wave to cripple the opponent is another string on its bow. Gyro Ball and Bulled Seed ensure enough STAB attack, despite the fairly low base Atk. If Ferroseed must be a strong deterrent to spinner Staryu (Impish Nature), else is very good Gyro Ball (Relaxed Nature and O Spe Ivs).

Ferroseed can form a defensive core with Frillish (the opponent can't spin against it and both cover very well the other's weaknesses). For its own purposes, the greatest danger is obviously Taunt opponent. So Cottonee, Houndour, the same Frillish and above all Misdreavus and Murkrow are malicious for it.

Last edited:

Meowth
Base Stats: 40 HP / 45 Atk / 35 Def / 40 SpA / SpD 40 / 90 Spe
Abilities: Pickup / Technician / Unnerve (DW)
Roles: Lead, Revenge Killer, Offensive Attacker

Although the metagame is fighting dominant, Meowth still sports one of the strongest unboosted Fake Outs in the game, coupled along with a fantastic base 90 Speed stat, giving it 19 Speed with a positive nature. Its strong Fake Out is due to its wonderful ability, Technician, which allows Meowth to use relatively weak attacks and still be effective, such as Bite and Covet, and the previously mentioned Fake Out, even though it has smaller base 45 Attack stat. With access to U-Turn as well, Meowth functions as a wonderful lead, being able to break Sturdy and Focus Sash with Fake Out while it can U-Turn against anything that it matches up poorly against. It also functions as a good revenge killer with Fake Out and 19 Speed. While Return provides Meowth with a stronger attacking move, Covet is generally more useful to steal an opponent's item, such as an Eviolite, which can take away the bulk from many Pokemon. Meowth has a relatively weak movepool, though; the only other move worth looking at it is Hypnosis, which sports an abysmal 60% accuracy, so you're better off using another move. Meowth also has a tough time dealing with Steel types, like Ferroseed. Ever so, Meowth can secure its niche as a lead and revenge killer on the right team.

Meowth normally runs Normal Gem for a strong Fake Out, and then the chance to steal an opponent's item with Covet. If you prefer more power throughout the match, Life Orb is an option, in which case you would use Return and not Covet.
I added some other things like Meowth's weak movepool and tough time with steel types, but that could be taken out. I thought if these are to serve as an introduction to the tier, some cons should be listed, but that's my opinion.

hope it's not too bad lol.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think I'll reserve dwebble
Actually changing my mind to frillish. Dwebble is up for grabs. Should be done in 2 or 3 days.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I'd like to reserve Dwebble seeing as no one has done it yet. Well here it is:

Base Stats: 50 HP / 65 Atk / 85 Def / 35 SpA / 35 SpD / 55 Spe​

Abilities: Sturdy/Shell Armor/Weak Armor(DW)​

Roles: Spike Lead, Shell Smasher​

Dwebble is a fun little pokemon that has great utility in LC. Dwebble is a top 20 used pokemon in LC right now, and for good reason. Dwebble has an excellent lead movepool, with access to Spikes and Stealth Rocks, and has decent speed to pull it off. Helping him as a great lead is Sturdy, which allows him to practically guarantee a layer of hazards up. Another boon is that Dwebble has Rock Blast, which paired with its decent attack stat, allows it to break lots of other Sturdy users or Substitute users.This sheer utility provided by Dwebble allows him to be a great option for lead. However, Dwebble is not merely limited to a supporting role: it has access to one of the most broken setup moves in the game: Shell Smash. This grants Dwebble a niche as a Smasher, along with others, like Clamperl, Tirtouga, etc. What makes Dwebble stand out among these others is its much higher speed, which makes it much harder to revenge kill. It is only outclassed in this role by Tirtouga, but Dwebble's higher speed and the fact that it could be considered a lead set allow it to be a great Shell Smasher. The surprise factor of a Shell Smash set often nets a free Shell Smash, and thus with the great offensive STABs it can proceed to wreak havoc. It can give great coverage in its two sets, able to run Earthquake to get the infamous EdgeQuake coverage. Overall, Dwebble is a dangerous threat and pokemon in the LC metagame, and definitely one that you should try out or be wary of!​
Dwebble is up for grabs.
Just gonna say I had already done Dwebble, and I just remembered about this thread, going to try to get Drifloon done now.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry ill make sure not to do anything already done, I'm new to Internet forums. (Here is Cottonee as frillish was done already)

Cottonee (insert picture here)

Base stats: HP 40/Atk 27/Def 60/SpA 33/SpD 50/Spe 66
Abilities: Prankster, Infiltrator, Chlorophyll(DW)
Roles: Prankster abuser

Cottonee is a unique pokemon that can play a key role in supporting your team. The first thing you'll see when looking at Cottonee are its horrific offenses. It won't do any damage a all with attacks. It's defenses are good when boosted with an eviolite, but they're not stellar. It looks to be a very mediocre pokemon, until its abilities are revealed. Prankster can turn the abomination of pokemon into a useful part of your team. Cottonee's movepool is tailored to abuse prankster, which gives all non attacking moves +1 priority. Leech seed is used on all Cottonees because it has no other form of recovery, and it can easily wear down opponents pokemon while gaining its health back. Stun spore is a staple on Cottonee due to it being able to cripple common sand sweepers that are otherwise immune to paralysis such as Drilbur and Sandshrew. Either protect or substitute is used on Cottonee to help gain leech seed recovery, but both have their different qualities. Protect will help Cottonee scout for its team against choiced attackers. Substitute however blocks status, which is the bane for Cottonee. The last move is very up to the user. Taunt can shut down hazards setters like Ferroseed, while encore stops dangerous set up sweepers like Scraggy or Axew cold. Memento, though rare, can bring in one of your sweepers for free. Though it seems like Cottonee is incredibly well protected, it can fall quite easily. Hazards are the first step to taking down Cottonee. They chip away at it so it can't heal fast enough. Toxic rips it apart, if you predict it on the switch. Foongus is the best switch in, being immune to leech seed, not caring about taunt, and having a super effective sludge bomb. To use Cottonee effectively, you need practice, prediction, and creativity. Once you have those down, the littl puff ball will make your opponent rip their hair out every time.

Please edit, it's my first time doing something like this. Also not see if to put EVs or not.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pawniard is mine

Pawniard
Base stats: 45 HP / 85 Atk / 70 Def / 40 SpA / 40 SpDef / 60 Spe
Abilities: Defiant / Inner Focus / Pressure
Roles: Setup Sweeper, Bulky Attacker, Revenge Killer

Steel-type Pokemon are known for their above average defenses and good slew of resistances, and Pawniard is no different. However, it is unique in the fact that it does not use its bulk and resistances to play the role of a wall- instead, it uses them to buy it opportunities to set up Swords Dances and then sweep. Its solid 45 / 70 / 40 defenses help it sponge many different common powerful attacks of the tier, including Brave Birds, Blizzards, and Shadow Balls, to name a few. Its natural bulk give it tons of opportunities to set up Swords Dance, as its resistances are many. Swords Dance turns Pawniard into a frightening sweeper- boosting its already beastly base 85 Atk to extreme levels and letting it at least 2HKO almost any Pokemon in the tier. Its moderate base 60 Speed may not seem like enough for it to beat some faster threats like Drilbur, but that's where its next most useful move comes into play- Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch lets Pawniard KO Pokemon that are faster than it, making it an almost unstoppable sweeper once its opponent's team is weakened. Sucker Punch also lets Pawniard fulfill a revenge killing role, as it hits fairly hard and can easily cleave off 30+% from opponents.

Pawniard still has its flaws, however. Fighting-types are the bane of Pawniard, as most are bulky enough to take an unboosted hit / outspeed and OHKO with the proper STAB move. Pawniard's 4x Fighting-type weakness makes it difficult to safely set up and successfully sweep as nearly every single team carries a Fighting-type that can force it out. (Pawniard does have a Speed advantage over some (Scraggy / Mienfoo) and can actually defeat them once it achieves enough Swords Dance boosts to take them out with Iron Head.) Faster Pokemon with status moves such as WoW Misdreavus or Parafusion Murkrow can also give Pawniard trouble by bypassing the Sucker Punch and crippling it.

^ Okay great!

Porygon
Base Stats: 65 HP / 60 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 75 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Trace / Download / Analytic (DW, unavailable in LC)
Roles: Bulky Attacker / Tank

With great stats, a good movepool and access to recover and eviolite, Porygon holds it's place as one of the best bulky attackers in the tier.
Depending on it's EV spread it can take hits from a big variety of common threats such as Murkrow, Misdreavus, Snover, Drifloon and Chinchou. Then it can proceed to either recover of the damage, cripple them with status or take chunks of their health with STAB Tri Attack or it's other common moves such as Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Charge Beam/Thunderbolt.
Trace is also a great asset for Porygon, making it able to gain access to abilities such as Regenerator, Prankster, Sand Rush, Natural Cure, Magic Guard and Volt Absorb, all of which are common in the LC metagame.
Porygon can also be used more offensively with Life Orb and Agility or by using a Choice item and Trick. With a Choice Scarf and Trace Porygon gains an important niche in being able to outspeed and revenge kill Drilbur in sand, one of the most dangerous threats in LC.

With a hate for toxic and a problem with common fighting-types (Mienfoo, Scraggy and Timburr), Porygon is prevented from letting it's epileptic colors shine even more. However if your team is in the need of something that can take strong physical or special attacks that isn't a powerful fighting move and dish out good damage in return, Porygon will rarely let you down.

I reserved Axew.

Axew
Type: Dragon
Base Stats: 46 HP / 87 Atk / 60 Def / 30 SpA / 40 SpD / 57 Spe
Abilities: Rivalry/ Mold Breaker/ Unverve
Roles: Physical Attacker, Sweeper

Axew can be evaluate like a good choice about Dragon-type Pokemon in LC. It has a decent base 57 Speed and a sufficient 60 Defense; but is its shocking 86 Atk makes Axew a dangerous pokemon, enough to be considered lethal if you don’t pay close attention to it. A fairly good movepool can ensure a good coverage moves, to apply the best of his strength. Which becomes awesome after a single Dragon Dance (also increasing its speed, the primary goal about using alternative Choice Scarf), so that you can sweep several enemies. Also it has a good ability like Mold Breaker, able to overlook the frequent levitate.
Despite this potential, there are many possible Axew’s counters, also related to the possible Outrage locked in. Steel-types as Magnemite and Bronzor don’t fear Axew attacks. As well as is not so easy to keep away Axew from anything with priority in LC. Riolu with Bullet Punch and Copycat, Timbur with Much Punch, Snover with Ice Shard are so (too much?) common.

Last edited:
About LC Usage-Based Threat List, I thought it could be useful to update list of what has already been done and what needs to be done to complete it, considering the current usage list (June 2013)

You can find a summary here => http://pastebin.com/tJNWEmX8

We can terminate Threat List, starting from the pokemon with highest rank, if you agree.

Reserved Dratini.

Dratini
Type: Dragon
Base Stats: 41 HP / 64 Atk / 45 Def / 50 SpA / 50 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Shed Skin, Marvel Scale (not released, DW)
Roles: Physical Attacker, Sweeper

Although with statistics unexceptional, Dratini is a possible choice for an offensive team. Its not negligible attack, with a combined access to Dragon Dance, it’s a good business card; it’s often preferred to Bagon for access to priority moves like Aqua Jet and ExtremeSpeed and also for its more substantial, Draco Meteor is a decent alternative for obvious strong but locking Outrage, Watefall and Aqua Tail are deadly weapons. Also Dratini has a varied movepool, although the bitter truth, its stats are sufficient to reduce a lot of the real options.

It's possible to use the common eviolite, but also it's one of few LC pokemon with the right characteristics to recommend the use of Life Orb, boosting its already dangerous attack. Take advantage about Entry Hazard support, turns Dratini in a great sweeper; other strategy to employ is protect itself with a substitute (direct or with baton pass) avoiding direct attacks on opponent's switches.

Unfortunately, There are few countermeasures that can be taken against it, because many opponent which can switch off its peculiarities. Physically bulky (like Bronzor or Munchlax) and well-strong or immune on ExtremeSpeed (like Misdreavus) manages to be a great Dratini counters. Hail is not surely a good battlefield for it, too.

Last edited:
I reserved Tirtouga.

Tirtouga
Type: Water/Rock
Base Stats: 54 HP / 78 Atk / 103 Def / 53 SpA / 45 SpD / 22 Spe
Abilities: Solid Rock, Sturdy, Swift Swim
Roles: Sweeper, Physical Attacker, Support

Tirtouga is very versatile, with a high regard on LC. With a good physical defense, its abilities are all playable successfully, choosing that is the right answer, depending on team.Solid Rock allows you to better resist damage to enemies, Sturdy prevents KOed from full HP, Swift Swim give doubles speed during rain (rain teams are not so frequent, but can be an advantage for itself). Large selection, then. That combined with a decent movepool, starting from the use of Shell Smash, which increases your stats and makes it really deadly (with or without White Herb); together an investment of 212 Evs, Shell Smash boosts by one stage its already significant Atk, making powerful aqua tail/waterfall/aqua jet (with priority)/stone edge/rock slide STAB attacks. But with a good 103 base def, it's also a good support, with access to Stealth Rock. Even its ridiculous speed also encourages the use of Curse in a trick Room.
Tirtouga’s counters are common as much as dangerous: Croagunk (with natural immunity to Water-type attack) and Ferroseed are surely deadly enemies, but also Lileep, Slowpoke and Chinchou may be too hard to argue with. A fair countermeasure against Croagunk could be Earthquake as well as Hidden Power Fire can be a good defense vs Ferroseed.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which one of all these pokemon isn't reserved, but I would like to reserve one. I've tried to go through the lists but there are so many posts I can't tell which ones are done >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)