1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The new(?) offensive core - Azupedo!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by PokeGyarados, Jun 22, 2013.

1. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

Hello fellow Pokemon players, this is PokeGyarados, you may know me from Pokemon Showdown! as I am pretty active on the chat and this is an Underused RMT of a team that I made quite a while ago, but have made some tweaks since. As it IS a while ago, my memory is a little hazy, but I will do my best to remember the process that made this team like this now. It features my favourite offensive core - Azumarill + Sharpedo, involving Azumarill breaking down Sharpedo's counters for Sharpedo to sweep. Although it hasn't reached any 'milestones' as I do not ladder very often, I decided to play it a little after the ladder reset on PS!, and it ended up going 19-5, with most of those 5 losses being due to hax.

Keep in mind that this is my first RMT, so I will greatly appreciate any constructive criticism anyone has to make. So without further ado, let's get into it!

Sets I am currently testing will be in Pink and in smaller font.
    Replaced sets will be in Light Blue.
    The c/p will be in red.
    Pokemon names will be in purple.
    My comments will be in blue and green.
    ^^^^
    (Is the Lime green too blinding? If it is I will change it.)

This team at a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Teambuilding Process
    Show Hide
    I wanted to try this new offensive core that I thought up of, so I obviously started with Azumarill and Sharpedo.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I then decided to use the pokemon I always use with Sharpedo: Roserade. The biggest reason I use Roserade is for the Spikes to make Sharpedo's sweep much easier, so unfortunately it is a defensive Roserade.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I realised after that if I wanted to keep the Spikes long enough to do anything and not waste Roserade's hard effort, a spinblocker is required. I chose Chandelure as my team lacked substantial (FIREp- nah not making that lame pun) power, and made it a scarfer as I also realised my team lacked a revenge killer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Obviously, without enough defensive prowess, my team would get ripped apart before Sharpedo could do anything. I decided on Hitmontop and Gligar, both physical walls that could use Rapid Spin (hazards are annoying -.-) and set up Stealth Rocks, respectively.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After battling once or twice, I facepalmed as I realised that not only was this team weak to strong special attackers such as Nidoking as Roserade isn't exactly that bulky, but I also had no way of stopping bulky setup sweepers such as CroCune or CurseLax! To deal with this, Snorlax was used in place of Hitmontop as 1) It utilises Whirlwind, 2) It is bulky as HECK, and 3) Rapid Spin is good for my team, but not absolutely essential, because the only SR weak Pokemon is Chandelure.

End Result:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Crixalis the Gligar
    [​IMG]
    Crixalis (Gligar) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Immunity
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    Frosty (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Spikes
    - Ice Beam
    - Destiny Bond
    - Taunt

Crixalis here is my best bet against the dangerous physical pokemon in the tier, mostly Fighting-types, including the #1 most used Pokemon Heracross. It does what it does well - It sets up those precious rocks that, along with Spikes help ensure Sharpedo's sweep (:P flying types) and is just so goddamn bulky.
    Earthquake ensures it isn't setup bait - more than once I have used Gligar as a lead to stop Bisharp from wrecking my team and when it comes to Bisharp, I don't mess around - I just EQ it for the 2HKO.

Roost increases Crixalis' longevity and allows it to stall Ice-type attacks such as SubPunch Azumarill's Ice Punch. I chose Taunt over U-turn because Taunt stops pokemon from setting up on it, and this team isn't all about momentum.
    You might have noticed the 4 Defense EVs moved to speed. I like to sometimes run a little extra speed to speed creep other people using the standard set and Taunt first, and this is important because then my Gligar gets Stealth Rocks, the opposing Gligar has to switch or spam pointless EQs, and the opponent doesn't get Stealth Rocks. :D

Gold Bunny the (Shiny!!) Azumarill
    [​IMG]
    Gold Bunny (Azumarill) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Huge Power
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Aqua Jet
    - Toxic

Gold Bunny is THE Bunny of Death. Like Gligar, it also does what it does best - wreck walls. While most use, and expect, the standard CB Azumarill, my favourite set (and admittedly the only one I have used) is SubPunch. There are several 'counters' to Azumarill, such as Slowbro and Tangrowth.
    Instead of trying to outpredict the opponent, I simply sub. Don't switch your Fire-type out? Well cool; wreck it with Aqua Jet. Switch your Fire-type out of fear of 'CB' Aqua Jet/Waterfall? Free sub :) Pretty much win-win situation. Once your opponent sees the Lefties recovery or the sub, whichever comes first, they will probably switch their Slowbro/Tangrowth in to wall the crap out of it, only to be hit by Toxic and be crippled for life (well, until that stupid Umbreon comes in).

Once those threats are gone, either Sharpedo sweeps, or if Azumarill manages to get another sub it can wreck everything with Focus Punch.
    With Azumarill's shallow movepool, it may seem weird to say 4MSS (4 Moveslot Syndrome) - but in this case, it does. I did an unusual thing here - I forgoed Waterfall and Ice Punch for Aqua Jet AND Toxic. I love Toxic as it completely breaks Slowbro and its bulky water friends, but I just can't use Azumarill without Aqua Jet - it's so useful. It revenge kills weakened Pokemon, deals heavy damage to any Fire-type and my favourite bit is when you use a slow sub on your opponent's weakened pokemon that they don't want anymore and Aqua Jet the next turn for the KO, giving a free sub to Gold Bunny.

The EVs are pretty simple - 252 HP EVs allows Azumarill to reach 404 HP, allowing it to make 101 HP subs so it can't be broken by one Seismic Toss and Night Shade (though admittedly Registeel has been VERY uncommon lately), 252 Atk EVs and Adamant Nature for max wallbreaking power, and the 4 SpD EVs are to grant Porygon2 and Porygon-Z an attack boost. To sum it up, Azumarill simply cripples all of Sharpedo's counters to leave a clean sweep ready for Sharpedo.

Pedo Shark the Sharpedo
    [​IMG]
    Pedo Shark (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

Sharpedo - a terror in UU. With the help of Speed Boost, great STABs that gain super effectiveness against some of the most defensive physical walls in UU including Slowbro, Cofagrigus, and Gligar, base 120 attack and its trusty Life Orb, it sweeps weakened teams with ease. It is simple: after Azumarill and the rest of the team have weakened the opposing team, Sharpedo swim and and eats the rest of the team up. In one bite.

Waterfall and Crunch are its trusty 80 BP STABs, both with a nifty side effect that can help in a pinch, particularly Waterfall's 20% chance to flinch. Earthquake hits many Pokemon that can survive a hit from the shark, mainly steel types such as Registeel and Cobalion, both that can cripple the shark after surviving a hit, with Thunder Wave and Volt Switch respectively. Protect is pretty self explanatory, it gives a free turn for Sharpedo to gain speed as it needs speed to outspeed (god how many times did I type speed (derp) there -.-) faster threats or slow threats with Choice Scarf.

The EVs are pretty self explanatory - max attack and Adamant nature gives it as much power as it can get, because it needs it, max speed is also more necessary than you'd think because it can't take a hit. The 4 SpD EVs also give P2 and PZ a Attack boost.

Roadblock the Snorlax
    [​IMG]
    Roadblock (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Whirlwind
    - Body Slam
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest
    White Mage? (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell

Snorlax is one of the biggest pinnacles of my team. It takes on practically every special attacker in the tier, and Body Slams their face until they get paralyzed or it Whirlwinds their CM boosts away. It also is probably the best check/counter (depends if SR up) to Sharpedo; the special attacker set is just completely wrecked and the physical set only does 39.43 - 46.47% to it, allowing it to easily KO back with Body Slam.

Whirlwind phazes opponents and racks up Stealth Rock and Spikes damage, which actually plays a big factor in wearing down certain threats to my team, such as Mienshao. As soon as I see CMcune or CurseLax, I hasten to Whirlwind their boosts away, and save them last, allowing Chandelure to safely Trick its Scarf onto them in order to defeat them once and for all (yay!!). Body Slam is a reliable STAB move that I utilise to break subs and threaten any Fighting-types that switch in with paralysis. If not, well it still does a substantial amount of damage.

RestTalk is a strategy that has become more unreliable, and you probably think I'm crazy using it without Umbreon, but Snorlax has proven time and time again that it is perfectly capable of handling itself in the UU environment even asleep. Unless Sleep Talk picks Rest, of course.

EVs are pretty standard, the defense EVs allow it to survive 2 V-creates from Victini, and the rest is to maximize special bulk to tank hits. Immunity is obviously inferior to Thick Fat especially because of Rest.

Lanturn the Chandelure
    [​IMG]
    Lanturn (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick
    Coffin (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Knock Off

Lanturn the Chandelure (yeah I love Lanturn, one of my favourite Pokemon <3) is my spinblocker, and a complete destructive powerhouse. It is also my revenge killer as it carries a Choice Scarf, and without it many more pokemon would definitely be a pain in the ass. Pokemon such as Darmanitan and Victini have to be much more careful as their spamming Flare Blitz/V-create 'strategy' could just end up in giving Chandelure a Flash Fire boost, allowing it to dish out some serious damage on the opposing team. Fire Blast is the main move of the set - 120 BP STAB off of 145 SpA dents pretty much anything except for Snorlax, and with a Flash Fire boost even Snorlax struggles to continuously take hits.

Energy Ball is for coverage, hitting Blastoise and Milotic for decent damage and ripping Rhyperior to pieces. Shadow Ball is the secondary STAB move, hitting many pokemon for neutral damage and hitting Chandelure on the switch thinking that it can get a Flash Fire boost of its own. Trick is a extremely vital move to my team - without it, last pokemon setups such as CMCune and CurseLax will be very troublesome, and if those Pokemon aren't present then I look for Pokemon that are troublesome if Chandelure doesn't have its scarf, then if none of those are left Snorlax and Porygon2 will not enjoy passing over their Leftovers/Eviolite in exchange for a Choice Scarf.

The EVs are pretty obvious: max special attack for explosive power, max speed and Timid nature to outspeed things, and 4 SpD to, once again, give P2 and PZ a Attack boost. (If you haven't caught on yet, PZ sucks against my team :P)

The guide to using Fire Blast Chandelure:
    1) Are you facing a Pokemon that can harm Chandelure? If yes, go to 2. If no, go to 3.
    2) Is that Pokemon weak to Fire Blast? If yes, go to 3. If no, go to 4.
    3) Is there an Arcanine with Flash Fire or Chandelure on the enemy team? If yes, go to 5. If no, go to 7.
    4) Is that Pokemon weak to Ghost or Grass? If it is weak to Ghost, go to 5. If it is weak to Grass, go to 6.
    5) Click Shadow Ball.
    6) Click Energy Ball.
    7) Is there Snorlax or Porygon2 on the enemy team? If yes, go to 8. If no, go to 9.
    8) Click Trick.
    9) Click FIRE BLAST!! and watch something die. Doesn't matter what it is, it's already dead.

Thorns the Roserade
    [​IMG]
    Thorns (Roserade) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Spikes
    - Rest
    Rawr (Nidoking) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 27 Def
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam
    - Stealth Rock

Thorns has practically one purpose: to set up Spikes. My team loves Spikes. Azumarill and Snorlax forces switches a lot, Chandelure not only does that but Spikes also helps it break through things, and the most important bit is Sharpedo has a MUCH easier time killing things. If I somehow manage to get 3 layers of Spikes AND Stealth Rock, then it's pretty much game because Sharpedo will wreck anything that switches in - most Flying-types not named Togekiss will fall after Stealth Rock. Thorns also has the benefit of beating many bulky waters one-on-one with Giga Drain, and takes on Shaymin easily, one of the biggest threats to this team.

Giga Drain gives a bit of sustain before it needs to use Rest, and is a decently powerful STAB move that allows Roserade to defeat Water-types that are major headaches to Sharpedo. Sludge Bomb kills Shaymin and Tangrowth while being more powerful than Giga Drain. Spikes was mentioned before, and Rest allows Roserade to heal up and switch, curing itself of sleep due to Natural Cure.

The EVs are fairly standard for specially defensive Roserade but I gave it 1 more speed point to speed creep other specially defensive Roserade, allowing it to defeat them one-on-one, this Roserade already beats offensive variants.

Threat List
    [​IMG]Porygon2 - Stupid duck. Bulky as heck, and takes Chandy like a boss. Azumarill can Toxic it on the switch in, but my only way of crippling it is Tricking scarf from Chandy.

[​IMG]Nidoking - Nidoking breaks things. Snorlax can check it to an extent, but is 2HKOed by Focus Blast. As long as it doesn't switch into Focus Miss, it can hopefully dent Nidoking with Body Slam so Chandy can revenge kill it.

[​IMG]Nidoqueen - Same deal as Nidoking. Although bulkier, it isn't as powerful, but it still 2HKOs Snorlax with Focus Blast, so it is still very annoying.

[​IMG]Crobat - Beats Gligar one-on-one. Threatens half my team. Spams Brave Bat to damage my team. My best hope is to Body Slam it with Snorlax, and hopefully paralyze it.

[​IMG]Empoleon - It is fairly threatening, but not significantly dangerous. It is walled by Azumarill for forever and a day if it doesn't carry Grass Knot, but if it does I'm in trouble. Luckily, Empoleon, and all the above Pokemon too actually (stfu P2 I'm trying to make a point here), don't do a thing to stop Sharpedo's sweep, so that's good.

[​IMG]Flygon - Flygon spams Outrage, but it never accomplishes anything unless Gligar is dead. That said, once Gligar DOES die, it becomes extremely threatening, as my team carries no Steel-types whatsoever. It can be dented by Snorlax and then finished off by Chandy.

If I missed any threats, please mention it in the comments. :)

The (late) importable:
    Show Hide
    Gligar @ Eviolite
    Trait: Immunity
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Roost
    - Taunt

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

Azumarill @ Leftovers
    Trait: Huge Power
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Aqua Jet
    - Toxic

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Whirlwind
    - Body Slam
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick

Roserade @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Spikes
    - Rest

I hope you have enjoyed this RMT, as mentioned earlier I GREATLY appreciate any constructive feedback, whether it is about the team or the RMT itself. Make sure you comment so I know if anything's wrong, and maybe give it a Luvdisc. :) If you do then I will <3 you :D

Don't hesitate to ask me for a battle or for help, I will always respond if I am not busy and I am generally up for battles for most tiers :)

Credits:
    Thanks to Konata Test on Pokemon Showdown! for helping me with the Threat list. :)
  2. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

Oh crap, just realised I forgot to put an importable of my team. Unfortunately, I'm on my mobile phone, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to change it, so sorry :(

EDIT: Been busy the whole day, I'm really sorry, hopefully I'll be able to do it tomorrow. Also, thanks for the rate Iminyourcloset (or Closet, whichever you prefer), I'll respond with my thoughts about it tomorrow as well. :)
  3. Iminyourcloset

Iminyourcloset OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Hello there!
    First, very nice team. Quite impressive. A couple things though:

- First, I don't believe you're using your Snorlax to full potential. RestTalk is a strategy that's just not as good as it used to be due to the sleep mechanics change. Plus, with only Body Slam as an attacking move, Snorlax can't do what it does best: Counter the shit out of Chandelure. So, I'd suggest changing your current set to the standard Offensive set (most likely with Leftovers, unless you really want CB for whatever reason) because it's simply more effective and more versatile than RestTalk Lax.

Snorlax Set (open)

[​IMG]
    @Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs:252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
    ~ Return / Body Slam
    ~ Pursuit
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Crunch / Fire Punch
    (This is basically C/Ped from smogon analysis page)

- Secondly, let's take a quick glance at your team. Most of them are pretty bulky 'mons. Sharpedo appears to be the odd one out... I personally don't like sharpedo, simply because it's defenses are as solid as an electron cloud. And frankly, it's not that helpful to your team (I see in your threatlist that it's helping against the Nidos, Empoleon and Crobat, but even then that's not supremely outstanding).
    So, I would suggest you replace it with something sturdy and something that can take on most of your threats: Milotic.
    Milotic Set (open)
    [​IMG]
    Milotic @ Leftovers
    Trait: Marvel Scale
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe (Yeah, this is physically defensive Milotic. Don't even consider using specially defensive. otherwise it's physical defense just sucks.)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Dragon Tail / Haze (I really don't suggest Haze, but it's an option)

It still piles up Water typing, but not as bad as before. Plus, it can even tank a -6 Luvdisc's Water Gun! But seriously, Milotic can 2HKO the Nidos with uninvested Scald, and can take 3 hits in return, shrugging it off with Recover. As for Flygon, it gets 2HKOed by Outrage, but OHKOs in return with Ice Beam, again using Recover to be full of rainbows and sunshine. It can't do much to Empoleon besides Phaze with Dragon Tail, but Empoleon can't do anything back. As for Porygon2, it can fish for a Scald burn, but Porygon2 will be doing the same with super effective Discharge spam, or even straight-up Thunderbolt for the 3HKO, while Milotic would be hard-pressed to even consider staying in. Crobat is 3HKOed by Ice Beam, and possibly 2HKOed due to Brave Bird recoil, but it's probably best to fish for Scald burns.

EDIT: My apologies Pokegyarados; I didn't see the part where you weren't going to replace sharpedo. And you're welcome for the rate ;) but anyway, if you don't like milotic after testing, I really think my suggested set would be great on your team.

And I'm sorry, epikkyogre, that my suggestions would change his team.......? Even the base of a team can be the weakest link, (though that's not necessarily the case here) and may need to be changed. /shrug

Those were the main things I saw with this team; I hope I helped and I hope I made it better!
    Good Luck with battling!
  4. epikkyogre78

epikkyogre78 Banned deucer.

[/QUOTE] - Secondly, let's take a quick glance at your team. Most of them are pretty bulky 'mons. Sharpedo appears to be the odd one out... I personally don't like sharpedo, simply because it's defenses are as solid as an electron cloud. And frankly, it's not that helpful to your team (I see in your threatlist that it's helping against the Nidos, Empoleon and Crobat, but even then that's not supremely outstanding).
    So, I would suggest you replace it with something sturdy and something that can take on most of your threats: Milotic. [/QUOTE]
    Iminyourcloset....
    Let me put it to you this way. The goal of the team is to use the kickass offensive core of SubPunch Azumarill and Physical Sharpedo. He literally has Roserade on his team JUST FOR SPIKING DUTIES. And he has Toxic on Azumarill to cripple walls that get in Sharpedo's way. And lastly, Sharpedo is a DEVASTATING sweeper. Other than priority moves (which aren't that common), Sharpedo literally cannot be revenge killed. It has huge attack, great coverage, and it does not deserve to be replaced by anything. And you want to replace him with MILOTIC? Oh please. It helps him out in so many ways!!! AKA He freaking sweeps!! His whole team is built around this guy!! He's the FOUNDATION of this team!!
    Although Milotic IS a great Pokémon. But really, it's not really what he's looking for.

Honestly I don't see too many problems with this team. I'll test it out and do a full analysis later.
  5. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

@Closet: Thank you for the rate :)

I do agree with Milotic being a good Pokemon to handle many of my teams' threats. However, I really am reluctant to replace Sharpedo, as it is the powerhouse of my team and is what my team is based around on. Because of this, I am going to test out replacing Snorlax with it. My team may be pretty weak to Raikou (and Zapdos for that matter) now, but Raikou shouldn't find too many opportunities to switch in (Azumarill Toxic/Focus Punches it, Gligar EQs it, Roserade can deal some damage with Sludge Bomb, etc.) I'll test it out and see what happens. Again, thanks for the rate, I really do appreciate it. :D

@epikkyogre78: Thank you for posting, and while yes, Sharpedo (as well as Azumarill) is not going to be replaced any time soon, I agree with Closet that Milotic handles many threats that my team couldn't handle previously. I'm looking forward to your rate. :)
  6. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

I've discussed this with many people now, and I've decided to give my team a rehaul - it is simply too inefficient defensive-wise. I will test these changes when I come back from camp, but for now I'll play it once or twice to see how it plays. I really appreciated the comments, but my team really can't handle some threats atm. I will put these changes in pink on the RMT.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)