The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

Check it out, Specs Aromatisse. Capable of OHKOing some of the most prominent threats to TR, most opponents will assume you're the standard defensive TR setter so if you predict switch-ins properly you can get loads of surprise one shots.

Aromatisse @ Choice Specs
Ability: Healer
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Simple enough EV spread really, maximum special attack because specs, and as-rounded-as-possible bulk with the remaining 256 EVs to survive an Iron Head from Sash Bisharp, if you're already in Trick Room however, you one shot Bisharp so you won't always need this. The moveset is not set in stone although these are the best options imo. Moonblast is obvious STAB move. Hidden Power fire OHKOs standard Mega Scizor 100% of the time (you survive a BP) and Banded Escavalier 93.8% of the time, Thunderbolt OHKOs Talonflame and Psyshock is a 2HKO on my Amoonguss (the best set).
Alternatives include switching HP fire for HP rock to OHKO Charizard Y, although Char is not as big a threat to Trick Room as Mega Scizor, however HP Rock will not lower your SAtk IVs which is neat. Energy ball can be used over Psyshock to hit Rotom Wash for big damage, although again Rotom is far less threatening to Trick Room generally. Dazzling gleam is also an option to run over Psyshock, but being locked into a spread fairy move is something that Specs Sylveon does much better.

Specs Aromatisse is basically a weaker Sylveon with better super effective coverage, therefore its role is not to sweep, but to snipe Pokemon that might otherwise give your team trouble.

Offensive Calcs
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 356-420 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 362-428 (121.4 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Escavalier: 340-404 (98.8 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Psyshock vs. 232 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 282-332 (66 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 282-333 (103.6 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Aromatisse: 276-326 (72.2 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Aromatisse: 320-380 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Aromatisse: 271-319 (70.9 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Aromatisse in Sun: 225-265 (58.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alternative Suggestions Calcs
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 316-376 (106 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aromatisse Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 184-218 (60.5 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
While all-out support sets are nice, you could try a semi-offensive TR set to help prevent opponents from capitalizing on Aromatisse's typical lack of offensive presence. Something like:

Aromatisse @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 212 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room

EVs take a 252+ Kangaskhan-Mega Return (which is stronger than a Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch) and 252+ Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon respectively, with remaining EVs into SpA (for obvious reasons). It is noted this set is vulnerable to double targets so Fake Out or Follow Me/Rage Powder support is recommended.

Safety Goggles is the item of choice as Aromatisse hates Amoonguss due to its high special bulk and Aromatisse's lack of options to hit it (HP Fire w/ Specs like Kyle's set cannot 2HKO a Physically Defensive Amoonguss assuming Sitrus Berry). Safety Goggles allows Trick Room to go up without fear of sleep (works nice in tandem with the Taunt immunity provided by Aroma Veil) and allows Aromatisse to fire off its attacks without having to worry about them being redirect, which leads into my next point. Heal Pulse is a very underrated option, allowing you to support your team more offensively by patching up a weakened TR sweeper (like Escavalier, for instance), and along with Safety Goggles, the only common threat that can redirect Heal Pulse is Togekiss (so watch out for that and don't be dumb and Heal Pulse if its around x_x), making it more reliable then it might be otherwise. Hidden Power Ground is for Heatran, who otherwise could get a free Substitute up vs an Aromatisse. HP Fire is imo not a very good option on this set as you want to preserve your TR setter. Trying to kill Scizor is most certainly not worth taking 93%ish from a Bullet Punch, and is completely irrelevant if you have already taken damage from getting TR up (and Escavalier underspeeds you in TR anyway). Moonblast is Moonblast; Aromatisse's best STAB option to hit Terrakion, Latios, Hydreigon, Keldeo, and many others for heavy damage (Hydreigon is OHKOd, with ~50% chance to OHKO the musketeers).

This is probably one of the best sets to be running on Aromatisse due to the high usage of Substitute Heatran and Amoonguss in the metagame.

Last edited:
I was going to post a set but Nollan Ninja'ed me and "stole" my idea ;;;;;; Will edit later with new ideas tho.

HP Fire is imo not a very good option as you want to preserve your TR setter. Trying to kill Scizor is most certainly not worth taking 93%ish from a Bullet Punch, and is completely irrelevant if you have already taken damage from getting TR up.
If you look carefully, you'll see that the choice specs set doesn't have trick room

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Aromatisse @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Skill Swap
- Protect /Heal Pulse

Here's something that I used for a while in a TR team and it was quite fun. Skill Swap is really pretty much the only change in here from the SmogonDex Aromatisse but it changes a bunch in how you play it. It's incredibly fun and useful, and not as gimmicky as I initially thought when I was high on life and decided to use it. Pairing it with an Intimidate user can give your side double intimidate with Skill Swap, or you can turn the opponent's intimidate against them. It also neutralizes Mega Kanga, M.Mawile and other threats which rely on their ability to truly wreak havoc which in this meta there are quite a few of and can allow your allies to take down stuff with a nice EQ like say, Levitating Rotom? Not anymore! You can even pass on that Parental Bond you just got to your ally if you wanted which with Aromatisse's nice bulk and speed under TR you may find some good opportunities to. I found it working out for me more than Heal Pulse does most of the time.

The rest of the moves and EVs are fairly standard. Trick Room because that's Aromatisse's niche, Moonblast because you don't wanna let the typing and decent 99 SpA go to waste, and Protect because it's doubles, having Protect is always good. But you can put Heal Pulse on instead if you prefer. I found no reason to mess with the EVs since it's worked very well for me, better than the EVs I used to use anyway.

I use Sitrus Berry over safety goggles because I have a safeguard user but w/e. :v

sorry if this is bad i'm trying to make myself more involved in the forums and i really like this set and I had to bring up the courage to post this QQ

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so long, but voting is now Open!

On a side note, Xzern's set doesn't deviate from the analysis enough to be an votable option, sorry.

Thanks for all the submissions this time! :D

Last edited:
Nollan

Just wondering,

When was this criteria mentioned? Earlier sets such as Pinoy's Aegis set, Totem's Gardevoir set, Laga's Togekiss and Dark Malice's TTar set were all fairly standard sets with a slight adjustment to a move or item but were included as votable choices anyway. The original criteria simply stated a set that was viable but not common, it didn't mention anything regarding being x amount away from standard. Just my two cents, but I think to be fair Xzern should be included this time, and the rule should be implemented next round.
It's going off the analysis. All others introduce a new move at the very least, while Xzern's set introduces nothing.

13ulbasaur. skill swap is something most people don't think of, and can easily change the course of a game. just be careful passing your aroma veil to the opponent if you might want to taunt them later lol.

I concede that Hydreigon's options are limited outside of the standard because the standard is so effective (and has Tailwind on it apparently, why TOTEM why ;-;), but Substitute Hydreigon is actually a pretty underrated and useful set.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 172 HP / 212 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Dragon Pulse is chosen as Draco Meteor would only work once making using it behind a Sub kinda redundant, tho its still usable here. Earth Power is my overall choice since it hits Bisharp and provides a way to OHKO Heatran. That's really about it for the slots as the last two are sorta a given on this set.

As for EVs 172 HP hits that nice Lefties number, while the Speed beats Jolly base 70's (like Breloom) with remaining EVs in SpA. Overall this set can really be a nuisance when played right, though watch out for Sylveon and MGard and get rid of those before trying to make use of Substitute.

Essentially the fact that Hydreigon forces a ton of switches makes this set p effective as it get you those free turns to get Substitute up. This set also excels at beating Heatran and you can also use Dark Pulse over either attack to beat Ghosts for Khan (those two would be a scary pair; tho Lando-T + Sub Hydrei is pretty scary too which the set I provided would work better with since Earth Power lets Hydrei beat Bisharp).

This Hydreigon is also deceptively bulky, Adamant Khan Return can never OHKO and neither can 252+ LO Breloom Mach Punch. Even incredibly powerful attacks (against Hydreigon) like AV Conk Drain Punch (69%) and 252+ Kyu-B Ice Beam (44%) cannot reliably OHKO.

tl;dr Basically this set turns Hydreigon from a fast, frail, and powerful attacker to a nuisance that has a lot more staying power which allows it to offensively support other threats that really appreciate its help (Lando-T, Kanga, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)