The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Protect

Magma Storm traps all sorts of things for your partner to get rid of or otherwise take advantage of. Aids in weather wars and is just an interesting and unexpected move. When something tries to switch into Heatran, you can use Magma Storm to wear them down while switching out to a more favorable matchup. The rest is standard, EVs letting you beat Jolly Breloom or Adamant Bisharp depending on your nature, and Shuca Berry is just a nice item.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
js but can we ban reservations I see no reason why someone should have time to post ''reserving x'' and not at least post the set. It makes it easy to see what's been done at a glance and then I don't end up writing out a pherb tran post to see that someone has already reserved it.

Pocket EDIT: deleted U-Turn Out's reserve post so feel free to post a pherb set before him

Last edited by a moderator:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
it's flash fire.
28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

With a Scarf, Heatran becomes an amazing Fire move spammer, since it now has pretty much great stats everywhere except attack (which it doesn't need): 100+ in Defenses, SpA, Speed. It doesn't really beat anything super specific, but it catches stuff like Genesect, Terrakion, and Kangaskhan off guard, as the first would want to U-Turn, and the others stay in and attack. And then it also beats what it usually does aka every grass type.

basically it's a speedy wrecking ball that's really hard for a weakened team to stop, especially since it usually takes a few hits to KO

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heatran @ POWER HERB
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- SOLARBEAM
- Protect

With Power Herb Solarbeam, Heatran becomes useful against a team archetype it usually sucks balls against, rain. It still has a tough time but the ability to fire off a 120 BP Grass-type move against Politoed is very useful. It's helped along by the fact that Politoed will feel totally comfortable staying in on Heatran and is unlikely to Protect against it in such a way that the herb is used to no avail. Obviously Heatran is still hard to use against rain teams but it's clutch little sets like this that can help cover a weakness to rain.
PHerb Heatran also helps handle Rotom-W which makes it useful as a partner to Pokemon that fear Will-o-Wisp.
EVs are standard offense tran and beat stuff like max Speed, Adamant Bisharp.

EDIT @ BELLOW: didn't even know lmao, I gues pherb is still kinda useful for rotom-w but it's less common these days so my set is lame and gay =]

Last edited:
No love for AV Latios ;-;

Heatran is a hard one but I'll give it a shot.

Heatran @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Eruption/Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon/Earth Power
- Rest
- Protect/Flash Cannon/Earth Power

ChestoRest and 252 HP EVs allows Heatran to function as a quite bulky attacker. Rest also has the effect of giving Eruption a new lease on life should Heatran get damaged prematurely (from priority, a bad switch-in, etc.). Eruption also has the benefit of being more accurate than Heat Wave and being much stronger at full or at least very high HP. Obviously this set will perform best under Trick Room but if you really wanted to you *could* give it some Speed investment and Tailwind support (with 0 Speed EVs and a 31 IV it outspeeds Garchomp under Tailwind; with 120 EVs it can outspeed everything slower than Mega Gengar under Tailwind). Tailwind also deserves mention due to Mega Charizard Y being a viable user and abuser of Tailwind and with sun support, Eruption becomes destructive enough to outright OHKO just about anything that doesn't resist it (and probably a decent number of things that do).

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Steeljackal

Not sure why I would want scarftran over scarf chandy if it went that way.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
I almost like ScarfTran but Timid Scarf falls 2 points short of Adamant Scarf Lando T so it's just a bit lame.
I once tried Magma Storm Tran but then I found out it also hits your own teammate so I ditched that.

By that logic, voting for Steel =]

edit @ bellow, you're right I was thinking of Lava Plume. There are too many fire-type signature moves :>

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magma Storm is a single-target move iirc, so unless Heatran target its partner the latter wont be damaged from Magma Storm :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)