The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

Choice Specs Toed is cool because even though Poli only has a measly base 90 special attack, when you add Choice Specs and Rain you can actually start doing some serious damage with the little frog. Always make sure Specs Politoed is shiny.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 152 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Grass
- Psychic / Hiddern Power Grass​

Hydro Pump for STAB and Ice beam, Focus Miss, and Psychic for coverage because they are the best coverage options available. Hidden Power grass can be used to tickle opposing water types or deal big damage to Gastrodon if you run into one,. The EV spread maximises special attack and gives enough speed to outspeed non invested base 80s, most notably Mega Venusaur. The HP and Defensive invesment is the most efficient way to survive a Jolly Mega Kangaskhan Return with the EVs remaining.
This set pairs well with Swift Swimmers, but particularly does a good job of hitting targets that Kabutops can't smack around like Keldeo (and other water or fighting types). It's also a good idea to use manual rain somewhere on a team on a Pokemon like Thundurus or Tornadus with this set. Choice Specs Politoed doesn't always last very long and most swift swimmers are useless outside of rain.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wtf are u doing with choice items

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind/Ice Beam
- Protect
- Mist

gentlemen and ladies, the man, the myth, the frog, mist politoed. mist protects your own party from stat drops, aka the spamming of intimidate, icy wind, or the dreaded sticky web shuckle. this works as great support against many intimidate-using threats such as landorus-therian, mawile, and gyarados. the wonky EVs guarantee that politoed will live against double-edge from mega kangaskhan.​

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Politoed @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect
This frog is basically meant to screw over certain rain checks. Rindo berry does this effectively, as it allows politoed to take a hit from skymin and ferrothorn (weakens a super effective grass type move FYI), then with max spatk and modest, focus blast will always 2hko ferro, and you can still ohko skymin with ice beam. No speed creep so you undercreep min ttar to get the rain up first. Focus blast also does good damage to Kyurem-b and Scrafty, two pokes that can eat up Ludicolo's attacks. Hydro Pump also does much better damage than scald. If you feel focus blast and hydro pump is too shaky, then you are too unlucky to play pokemon

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Anty

tbh I wanted to vote for finally because Rain Dance Aegislash > all but idk so I went with the one with Focus Blast.

reserving safety goggles overheat tflame

your move now kyle

EDIT: n but for real i'm snatching snatch bulky tflame. seriously this thing's movepool is complete garbage (and by the way, natural gift talonflame sucks, i've tried it, and I know someone's gonna make a set for it =I)

Last edited:
Not the most viable of sets but certainly cool and a great way to beat Pokemon that are otherwise a hard counter: Natural Gift Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Apicot Berry / Liechi Berry / Belue Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Natural Gift
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

When using natural gift with Apicot Berry the attack becomes a 100 base power ground move and when using Liechi Berry the attack becomes a base 100 power Grass type attack, obviously allowing you to deal significant damage to Heatran or Rotom-Wash. Belue berry transforms Natural Gift into a 100BP Electric move to hit Gyarados although Belue Berry has no use outside of Natural Gift. In battles where the opponent doesn't have one of these Pokemon (or any Pokemon weak to Grass or Ground that comes in on Talonflame), these two berries have good effects should you consume them from health loss rather than Natural Gift (particularly Liechi Berry).
Apicot Berry: Raises Sp. Def by 1 when at 1/4 max HP or less. Single use.
Liechi Berry: Raises Attack by 1 when at 1/4 max HP or less. Single use.
Belue Berry: No competitive use. #beluebutneverforgotten

Calcs:
252+ Atk Apicot Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 336-396 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 480-568 (112.6 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Belue Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Electric) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
talonflame sucks, just add quick guard or some shit to the standard set and it's already the next best thing

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Giga Impact

Just about the only way Talonflame can do anything to Rotom-W/-H, this thing provides an interesting wincon on Rotom after they've been chipped at a bit:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 185-218 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
So this isn't the best set but since I really don't like Mega-Kanga I thought I'd express that through this monstrosity I call the 'Kanga Sucks' Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Attack / 100 Defence / 112 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp

So I heard you really hate Mega-Kanga? Want to make it's trainer feel bad by predicting a Fake Out, using Quick Guard, and when it comes back in again you predict no Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp? Well have I got the Pokemon for you! Not only does this Talonflame have a strong chance of surviving a 252+ Attack Return from Mega-Kanga when burned twice, but why not just make it take all that recoil damage through Rocky Helmet! The same can be said for that bunny we all call Azumarill and other random stuff that I can't be bothered to talk about! So without further ado, I present to you the really bad and quick calc's that I made on this subject!

Also the Speed EV's allow it to out speed everything with Base 108 Speed and 252+ Speed EV's (Terrakion mainly).

252+ Atk Parental Bond burned Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Talonflame: 154-183 (42.7 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Talonflame: 308-364 (85.5 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb burned Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Talonflame: 276-328 (76.6 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Talonflame: 186-222 (51.6 - 61.6%)
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Talonflame: 93-111 (25.8 - 30.8%)
61.6% + 30.8% = 92.4% (Guaranteed 3HKO)

Mega-Kangaskhan takes approximately 46% of damage after Rocky Helmet + Burn damage.
44 Atk Talonflame Helping Hand Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 171-202 (48.5 - 57.3%)

Oh and it can still get OHKO's on these things + more (Imo use Helping Hand with it):

44 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 306-362 (101.3 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
44 Atk Talonflame Helping Hand Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 434-512 (127.2 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
44 Atk Talonflame Helping Hand Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Amoonguss: 432-510 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kanga Sucks y/y

EDIT: I don't know if this is what qsns means when he says Bulky T-Flame so if it is then I'll just take it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)