Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck did I just read?

This thread was supposed to discover some innovation, not just posting a shitty set that i'd argue is not even funny. Let's analyze them

1) offensive utility Mlopunny. Ok, it could work
2) sub toxic. While I like the toxic idea because rocky chomper and lando hurts it a lot (and slowbro too, which is on the rise), sub really provides little support to it. You have a tool against offensive build (sub) and a way to deal with Lopunny checks like lando, but you can't basically use them together. As a tool against offense I think Fake out is much more valuable than sub. These days there are really 0 teams prones to get swept by a subbed Lop. If you cripple the main Lop check in slowbro (if your opponent use cm + dual stab), you still lose to it and you take little advantage from sub.
3) the bendiving set is nice enough. I still think that fake out is better in this metagame, but it's still ok
4) teeter dance. Funny enough, but ask yourself. When the hell are you going to use this instead of the standard Lopunny set? While it's funny, reling on luck is more often than not a bad idea in order to win the game.
5) AV standard Lopunny could be nice. But let's be real here. You have to lure your opponent with another reliable mega in order to cripple one of his walls. I actually think that there are very few teams that could benefits from standard lopunny who switch his AV with like slowbro. Yeah, if you pair it with Talon it could be good (just an example), but you really lose a mon using Lopunny when you can just use something better.
6) agility: i think lopunny's problem in this metagame isn't speed at all. What is this? What are you going to benefit if the opponent as a Slowbro or an Amoonguss in a typical sand build? (Which is the more common playstyle right now)
7) i think that when you innovate with endeavor Lopunny you are at the end of your career lol. Don't wanna be harsh here, but when you innovate this way, post a replay to show it's effectiveness. It's easy to put a sub in order to lower the Hp and lower conseguentely the oppo hp with endeavor without proving how teammates benefit from this. Let's be real. Who the hell are you going to support with this set? It's just not good :-(
8) BP + pup. What is this .-. Why the hell are you going to use it in a real game and why the hell anyone would vote for it. Holy shit. You have a stab 130 bp move and you use this set? To achieve what? What are you going to do with this? Replay please :)
9) blizzard. What a wonderful idea on how to avoud recoil, let's miss... Oh god
10) circle throw. The concept is nice but not explained at all. Idk why he posted without explanation, but it could be cool lol. Still don't know how parashuffle could be good on Lop

Point is: post a set that could be actually good. Not just funny and useless completely. I know that many noms - even in previous rouns - toom this path, but please, this was too much lol

Offensive utility seems the better choice. Voting for it :)

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner of Week 21 goes to Clair's SubToxic Mega Lopunny! Congratulations for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 22 is Tangrowth!

Tangrowth isn't a common Pokemon in the OverUsed Tier, but when it does show up it can be a pain to take out. As Tangrowth has very good Defensive Bulk in a Physically Offensive metagame, and it gets the ability Regenerator recovering 30% of it's HP every time it switches out. The main reason Tangrowth isn't seen often in OU is because it needs good team members to work properly and is more outclassed by Amoonguss which functions a lot like it. However Tangrowth does have it's own niches, as Tangrowth has better Offensive Power and many Attacks to abuse with, so I lead to you make innovative sets.

P.S. Don't copy and paste the AV Set from the SmogDex without being innovative on it or I won't add you to the Votes​

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Ancient Power

Specs Tangrowth is a monster. It takes advantage of its high SpA and bulk with Leaf Storm and Regen to become a force to be reckoned with. Leaf Storm nukes anything that doesn't resist it and then the other moves are tailored to hitting stuff that resists Leaf Storm. HP Ice is mostly obsolete here as Leaf Storm already Lando and Chomp anyway, but if you struggle with dragons you can lure them with it if ur team is weak to dragons.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Ancientpower / Sludge Bomb

LO Tangrowth hits pretty hard and is actually deceptively difficult to switch into, while still maintaining a lot of of its defensive capabilities, and being able to negate LO damage with Regenerator. This spread outspeeds standard BD Azumarill and can OHKO Heatran from full with Earthquake. If Ancientpower or Sludge Bomb is used instead, you're better off investing the Attack EVs in HP instead, and running a Modest nature.

Last edited:
Swords Dance

Tangrowth @ Lum Berry
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Odd set but I took it for a quick spin and it's decent enough. Tangrowth has little to fear from common physical walls (RockyChomp, Lando, Slowbro, Hippo, Ferrothorn) so in many match-ups you can set up as the opponent switches in something like Talonflame, tank a hit, KO or Sleep in response, then Regenerate back to full. E.g.:

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 144 HP / 112 SpD Tangrowth: 312-368 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 284-336 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 144 HP / 112 SpD Tangrowth: 292-344 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sleep Powder performs a dual offensive / defensive function, annoying things like Skarmory, Zard X and Y, and facilitating set-up, while also being a one-time stop to most physical attackers. Power Whip is powerful STAB, OHKOing things like SDef M-Sableye at +2, and Knock Off is decent neutral coverage with good utility. Lum Berry prevents Burns, which is the obvious concern for a Grass-type physical attacker, and bluffs Assault Vest initially, although Life Orb is still a reasonable option.

Scarf Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Leaf Storm
- Ancient Power / Rock Slide (suggestions? Ancient Power is better towards Mega Charizard-X 2HKOing it but Tangrowth is outsped)
- Sludge Bomb

Tangrowth is pitifully slow, so you have to rely on a fully EV'd beneficial nature on Spe reaching 218 in the process if you want to surprise some traditional checks or revenge killers. Then, you have a Scarf to reach 327 speed tying with HP Fire Manaphy (base 100 Spe with beneficial nature + 252 EVs but with 30 IVs in Spe).
Unfortunately, this Grass-type misses 328 Spe which is a crowded benchmark, but it is still good enough. Speed control in the form of Thunder Wave or Sticky Web is appreciated to be even more effective.

The burden to switch-out is not that great due to Regenerator which appreciates switches and -let's be honest- even without a Scarf or without an AV Tangrowth is forced out easily due its horrid SpD. At least a Scarf offers some degree of surprise and effectiveness.

A mixed set underlines Tangrowth's good mixed capabilities and I'm trying to avoid being a Will o' Wisp magnet.

A list of new threats revenge killed now:
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 456-536 (118.7 - 139.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (in this case you don't take damage)
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 146-172 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (nice thing because you can kill it if it is already at middle health; it can't predict to be outsped by Tangrowth)
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 268-316 (74.2 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 276-328 (71.6 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa Unbound: 151-178 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKOor even 4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa Unbound: 122-144 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 225-265 (58.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tangrowth Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 170-200 (58.4 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 189-223 (57 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 356-420 (117.4 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 252-296 (62.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 256-304 (79 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Diggersby: 236-278 (75.8 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 320-378 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Tangrowth Ancient Power vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 224-268 (68 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 158-188 (49.2 - 58.5%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 116-138 (31.8 - 37.9%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO (you can hit on the switch + outspeeding in the following turn)
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 146-172 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 160-190 (43.1 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Toxicroak: 204-242 (66.4 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
...and so on...

==> the ability to hit on the switch and to outspeed on the following turn is too huge to simply ignore it.

P.S. Crossing fingers for Rotom forms as next subject!

Last edited:
Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Worry Seed
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Toxic

Worry seed tangrowth
This set allows you to stall out certain stall mons with natural cure to prevent the damage from your poison while all the time self healing with synthesis and leech seed. It fixes one of the problems of assault vest or choice ta ngrowth which is a lack of recovery which makes this monster an unlikable wall. Beg your opponent to bring in their blisseys, you'll beat them!
100% guarantee you get to 1200 elo with this set

Block Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Power Whip/Seed Bomb

So basically trap stuff like heatran, scizor, skarmory, ferrothorn, etc. Then go to dugtrio/magnezone and get a kill. Helps out the team if the it's weak to those mons. 84 Speed Outspeeds base 60s.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid/Naive Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Growth
- Earthquake/Rock Slide/Knock Off/Sleep Powder/Synthesys

The set is pretty straight forward

Sunny Day to outspeed Mega Manetric and Mega Lopunny, you can also run 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe to have enough speed to outspeed Mega Bee and Mega Sceptile
Growth gets you at +2 in both Attack and SpAtk under the sun (otherwise, you only get +1)
Solar Beam because... sun
For the fourth move you can use Earthquake or Rock Slide for coverage (since you get +2 in both stats), Knock Off for utility, Sleep Powder gives you chances to set up, and Synthesis gives you durability. (If you use any of the last 2, you should use Timid over Naive and spread th 60 Atk in Bulk)

Life Orb gives you more power, while Leftovers gives you durability

Overall, this set is fun to use as a surprise Late Game sweeper once all the Pokémon that can revenge kill him are dead :P

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
WELP FUCK, I completely forgot to do voting for Tangrowth, I've been so focused on laddering for RU I just forgot, I promise I won't do this again!!!

Voting Starts now and will end in 48 Hours, aka Wednesday! Here are your choices:

Choice Specs Tangrowth
LO Tangrowth
SD Tangrowth
Choice Scarf Tangrowth
Worry Seed Tangrowth
Block Tangrowth
Chlorophyll Tangrowth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)