Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure I fabricated that. In the Creative sets thread.

Special Lure Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Special Lure Tyranitar. This is legit cool. It backs a surprisingly good amount of power behind it. Dark Pulse allows it to hit things like Rotom-W harder than what they bargained for. Fire Blast snacks around Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Thunderbolt hits Flying types like Tflame and LO Tornadus and Keldeo. Ice Beam kills off most Grounds like Lando or Garchomp. Life Orb gives all around power while Expert Belt gives it the ability to "fake" items like a Berry or Scarf maybe.
May I please have a link?
Bludz posted it on sep 14, so if you posted it before, I wouldn't mind changing my post (:

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
184 HP/ 72 ATK/ 252 SPE

Rock Polish
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake (honestly any coverage move you want can fit here)

With a whopping 7 weaknesses, TTar's gonna have a rough time avoiding being hit super effectively, so why not capitalize on it?

184 HP EV's provides enough bulk to survive an Earthquake from Lando-T, which is likely the strongest SE hit you'll be taking outside of fighting moves, which should just be avoided altogether. You probably don't want to go toe-to-toe with Lando-T who can pack Superpower. but using him as a damage benchmark is good to know that you can tank hits from anything less.

With that much bulk behind you, you're free to set up your rock polish and eat up the SE hit that inevitably comes your way, setting you up to be a +2 ATK +2 Speed T-tar, a scary, scary thing to think about if you're not prepared.

+2 speed fully invested on a neutral nature lands you at 442 speed, which is excellent so you don't need to go full Jolly for anything extra. If anything you can take away speed EV's and put them in attack if you feel like just reaching a benchmark such as those 135 speed tier mons.

As for other options, Weakness Policy is also boosting your special attack to reach over 450 when uninvested on a neutral nature, so going mixed is always an option by adding a STAB Dark Pulse. Just switch up the nature/EV's to accommodate it. Such as fitting it with a Naughty nature since the Sandstorm is already buffing your SpDef.

Last edited:
Counterlead Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Fire Blast

I use this set when I need sand for Excadrill along with Stealth Rocks and Pursuit support. Basically you lead Ttar when you see ferro or some other lead on the enemy team. Other times you might wanna save it for the Latis or simply to hold onto sand so your own team is unnafected. I'm using this along with char x for the aggressive anti hazzard support i get from ttar and exca, while all three are able to pack a punch.

I might edit this set with more speed but idk what to outspeed :/

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Counterlead Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Fire Blast

I use this set when I need sand for Excadrill along with Stealth Rocks and Pursuit support. Basically you lead Ttar when you see ferro or some other lead on the enemy team. Other times you might wanna save it for the Latis or simply to hold onto sand so your own team is unnafected. I'm using this along with char x for the aggressive anti hazzard support i get from ttar and exca, while all three are able to pack a punch.

I might edit this set with more speed but idk what to outspeed :/
A pretty sweet item on that set is Focus Sash to take a hit from things like Breloom, Keldeo, Lando etc. which lead v.s. you, allowing you to score rocks without risking being KO'd on turn 1. Also, I'd consider max/jolly and giving Ice Beam a slash to allow you to outpace and KO things like Gliscor, Lando-T.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
It's time for the authority to speak on this matter.

Assault Vest Tyranitar
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Attack
Nature: Careful
-Crunch
-Pursuit/Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Assault Vest Tyranitar is a very underrated set that I don't see used often, but it is the bulkiest Assault Vest User and can be a valuable switch-in to every Special Attacker in OU (Barring Secret Sword Keldeo). Literally, this thing just doesn't die. Almost no Special Attack can break through it. Literally. Don't believe me? Here are some calcs that show it's bulk:

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 156-184 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 116-140 (28.7 - 34.6%) -- 8.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 151-179 (37.3 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 244-291 (60.3 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 84-102 (20.7 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 278-330 (68.8 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 224-265 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Do you think that your special attackers can beat Assault Vest Tyranitar? Think again suckerz!

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Interesting movesets, I may try some of these out when I can. Voting can start now and here are your choices:

Focus Punch Tyranitar
Hone Claws+Rock Polish Mega Tyranitar
Rock Polish+3 Attacks Mega Tyranitar
Thunder Punch+Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar
Brightpowder Tyranitar
SubToxic Tyranitar
Special Lure Tyranitar
Counter Tyranitar
Trick Room Curse Tyranitar
Weakness Policy Tyranitar
Anti-Lead Tyranitar
Assault Vest Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast/ Ice Beam

My original XY tyrantiar that helped me demolish teams all the way up to the 2000's. Functions as a special tank under sand and offers both hazard set up and pursuit trapping capabilities. Completely walls talonflame and cockblocks the lati@s twins due to the SP.Def increase under sand, and will OHKO with pursuit. I used to run Fire Blast because Ferro was still ultra common and it also nukes Scizor. Fire Blast also catches breloom/metagross/skarmory switch ins. Can also catch Bisharp if they don't expect it. Ice beam is an option in the current meta to hit lando-t and Garchomp because they are super common, but it lacks the power to OHKO without significant Special attack investment which lessens its role as a tank. Leftovers recovery ads up, especially when forcing out talonflame and catching mons by surprise with fire blast.

Common knowledge, but it also sets up sand rush excadrill.

My original XY tyrantiar that helped me demolish teams all the way up to the 2000's. Functions as a special tank under sand and offers both hazard set up and pursuit trapping capabilities. Completely walls talonflame and cockblocks the lati@s twins due to the SP.Def increase under sand, and will OHKO with pursuit. I used to run Fire Blast because Ferro was still ultra common and it also nukes Scizor. Fire Blast also catches breloom/metagross/skarmory switch ins. Can also catch Bisharp if they don't expect it. Ice beam is an option in the current meta to hit lando-t and Garchomp because they are super common, but it lacks the power to OHKO without significant Special attack investment which lessens its role as a tank. Leftovers recovery ads up, especially when forcing out talonflame and catching mons by surprise with fire blast.
Too late because we are voting now and that set is pretty standard (support Tyranitar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)