The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

This is probably a really dumb set but there's very little else to do with Garchomp.

Anyway:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin -> Sand Force
EVs: 188 HP / 136 Atk / 184 SpA
Brave Nature
- Dragon Claw/Dual Chop/*insert special Dragon move here, if you're into that*
- Earthquake/Bulldoze/Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Rock Slide
- Protect

There are a few oft-overlooked qualities of MegaChomp which this set attempts to capitalize on- one, it's not completely and totally fucked by anything with Will-O-Wisp or Scald, and two, this bad boy's got some baulk. Okay, not a ton, but a very surprising amount, which enables it to switch in, tank an attack, and wreck a lot of things, like Talonflame, Mega-Char-Y, T-tar (who actually benefits Chomp thanks to Sand Stream), and Ferrothorn, among others. It still loses to Ice-type attacks and Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps, but these are usually only found on the same Pokemon, which are Water-types.

184 SpA and a neutral SpA nature is there if you want some power on the special side (this thing actually deals upwards of 50% to 252/72+ Amoonguss with Fire Blast with the given investment), while maintaining its belk. Chomp doesn't get a lot in the way of team support outside of weather moves but Bulldoze is actually decent for speed control, assuming Chomp's partner levitates. Bulldoze actually ends up creating lots of cool scenarios such as where an incoming Keldeo expecting a Rock Slide is greeted by a Mega evolution and a Bulldoze which then allows Chomp to subsequently outspeed and KO it on the following turn (MegaChomp actually needs a neutral Speed nature and like 40-ish Speed EVs to do this but the spread is easily tweakable).

Some calcs, for your theorymonning pleasure:

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 5.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 158-187 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 153-180 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
172+ Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 144-169 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 106-126 (26.2 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

136+ Atk Mega Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 180-213 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 432-512 (125.5 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 384-452 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 216-256 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
136+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar in Sand: 222-264 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (yes, this is with spread factored in)
184 SpA [Non-Sand Force] Mega Garchomp Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 374-444 (103.3 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Intimidate and WoW are easily the two most common threats to Garchomp in the current metagame, and this set is able to avoid both of them. It also lets Garchomp do all of the normal things Substitute does to a Pokemon, but on top of that it lets Garchomp easily run Garchompite, granting it a massive power boost and a slight increase in bulk. 200 Speed puts it above neutral base 85s. In Tailwind (which is where I used it, although sans Tailwind it is still threatening) this lets it outrun all common weather sweepers beyond Excadrill, who really doesn't want to see a Mega Garchomp on the other side of the field anyway. 56 HP gives it an odd HP number and lets it Sub four times.
reposting because good set

Well that was Tornadusgate lol Sorry Shaian!

EDIT: OMFG I'm so sorry Shaian I missed your post when I checked if anyone had reserved it! I'm really sorry, if you want I can delete my post :/

I'd like to introduce Garchomp Mega Mix:

DJman (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 192 HP / 108 Atk / 80 SpA / 48 SpD / 80 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Mega Garchomp is obviously better in sand, but still, supposing you couldn't set up that Sandstorm, Garchomp does amazing well too. Now as it has already been reported a couple of times, Garchomp is a WoW magnet. Hence a Mixed attacker. I guess I would have really liked to use not-mega Garchomp to do so, but with base 80 SpA, well I'm not that into it. I've played this M-Garchomp for a little while and it's really cool, but sometimes I have to say, standard Physical not-Mega Garchomp is just as good. But we're not here to talk about ordinary sets are we?

Fire Blast comes in handy as to coverage. I chose it over Draco Meteor because even though Draco Meteor is very powerful, it doesn't have a good coverage at all. In fact, it's only good against other Dragons, but let's face it: with 92 base Spe, the only reasonnably good Dragon M-Garchomp outspeeds is Dragonite, and there, thanks to Multiscale, it has all the time in the world to set up a Dragon Dance and then OHKO Garchomp (even with Dual Chop or Rock Slide on M-Garchomp full Atk, it doesn't work...). So all in all, you really do't want to leave Garchomp to face other Dragons, so Draco Meteor isn't that good. However, with a similar power level (and not the downside of lowering that SpA), Fire Blast deals with annoying stuff such as M-Scizor, Ferrothorn and M-Abomasnow, that can usually take a hit from M-Garchomp and still survive to deal with him and tell the tale. Plus, Fire coverage is pretty good (especially in a Sandstorm), overall, so if Garchomp ends up being burned, chances are it'll still do pretty good damage.

As for the other moves, I keep it simple: EQ STAB and potential Sand Force bonus is insane, and can 2HKO anything not resisting it, and Rock Slide shoots down those birds that wouldn't take the EQ blow. Ad Protect is Protect, need I say more.

Problem, with this set, is Rotom-W. Professional Will-o-wisper, Garchomp will draw it out, and there isn't much we can do about it. Fireblast has a great offensive coverage in case Garchomp does get burned, but it will significantly weaken him though, no miracles here. And I really didn't feel like HP Grass could do it.

The EV spread isn't that complicated, I wanted to outspeed Breloom (to Fire Blast him before the Spore, clever!), just enough SpA to ensure the OHKO with Fire Blast on M-Abomasnow, Breloom, Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor. I thought I could try and go for 2HKO M-Venusaur, but that's just not possible. With this set, against M-Venusaur, EQ is better than Fire Blast... I divided the rest among bulk and Atk. Here are a few tables:

80 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 200-236 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
100+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 276-326 (68.3 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 300-354 (114.5 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
80 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
100+ Atk Mega Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 182-216 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 250-296 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage (deals exactly the same as Rock Slide. Careful with that one as Shaymin-S can 2HKO M-Garchomp before he lands the secon blow).
100+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Togekiss in Sand: 170-200 (45.5 - 53.6%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

232 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 192 HP / 48 SpD Mega Garchomp in Rain: 341-403 (84.1 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (now that's just badass)
4 Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 192 HP / 0- Def Mega Garchomp: 220-264 (54.3 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 192 HP / 0- Def Mega Garchomp: 265-312 (65.4 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 192 HP / 0- Def Mega Garchomp: 179-212 (44.1 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
52+ SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 192 HP / 48 SpD Mega Garchomp: 240-284 (59.2 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I realise it was very risky to put the Lonely nature and no Def bonus, but it can hold up just as well a Kan Return as I could expect, it still resists the Ice Shards... Watch out though, Weavile OHKOs it.

So that's my set! I hope you've enjoyed it, it's the best alternative to SubChomp if you want to play M-Garchomp, imo (even though I looooooove that subchamp arcticblast!)

See ya guys!

EDIT: OMFG I'm so sorry Shaian I missed your post when I checked if anyone had reserved it! I'm really sorry, if you want I can delete my post :/

Last edited:
Alright, voting is now Open

Don't vote for Benja's set though it's way to strong....

EDIT: Nevermind, looking at Aegi's set better it has a bulkier EVs spread and a bit different moves, so I'll allow voting for it.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Udometer (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hypnosis / Helping Hand
- Encore / Helping Hand

Choice Scarf Politoed is pretty strong, and it does get some nice KOs on unsuspecting opponents. HPump and Ice Beam are there to deal reasonably good damage (and to generally soften things up for your "main" sweepers, while the last two slots are open for either coverage moves (HP Grass really) or support options. Hypnosis could work as a last-ditch attempt, giving you a 60% chance of salvaging a situation, while Encore is helpful for crippling Fake Out users like Mega Kangaskhan or setup sweepers like Mega Kangaskhan. While Helping Hand doesn't really benefit from Choice Scarf, it does allow for a bit more offensive presence from Politoed's allies, especially when even scarved Politoed cannot outspeed its opponents. The EV spread is simple enough, letting Politoed deal as much damage as possible while outspeeding a fair number of things (anything up to positive-natured base 111s).

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
since politoed is bad, can i just post rain dance thundy
i swear it;s almost as good as rain dance aegislash mouse de frank

edit: god sets
Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

lives the hit unless it's mega mence. taunt bc stopping tr (for your swift swimmers) is more valuable than hp ice since your swift swimmers already have ice beam.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Rain Dance
- King's Shield

life orb number combos with speed creep

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)