Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 Def or SAtk / 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Glare
-Taunt / Giga Drain

One of the best paralysis spreaders in the tier imo (better than f**king T-Wave Liepard anyway) due to high bulk and speed. The SubSeed combo very easily forces a ton of switches, and you capitalize on that by Glaring everything in sight:happybrain:, even Ghost-types. Taunt only makes this combo even more annoying, preventing phazing and healing from opponents who can otherwise afford to sit their asses down against Serperior. If you want some form of immediate offense, Giga Drain can be used to deal more damage and notably regain more health, speeding up the process of para-spreading.

The EV spread maximizes speed to get the drop on Scolipede, and can Glare or Taunt them to stop a sweep or hazards respectively. Max HP, while being counterproductive for SubSeed, increases overall bulk which is important for Serperior to have its Sub survive attacks. The 4 EVs can be put in either defense to soak up EQs or Scalds and Thunderbolts better, or into Special Attack should you be using Giga Drain.

Whoever posts Taunt / Substitute | CM | Giga Drain | HP [Rock] will have the biggest chance of winning most likely, but I like making sets and not feel guilty of stealing it, so here's one that I made.

Serperior @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Substitute / Taunt
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Rock

This set surprises most of Serperior's counters - namely Regice, Grumpig, and Metang - by getting a Leech Seed off while still providing offensive presence. Serperior can just Substitute down while still recover HP by Leech Seed or Leftovers from the defensive Pokemon stated before, or Taunt the likes of Munchlax from phazing Serperior. Life Orb is the better option imo as Giga Drain and Leech Seed already recover health for Serperior, though Leftovers can be used to recover some HP and increase the survivability rate.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Serperior@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
252 A/ 4 D/ 252 speed
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Aqua Tail
Aerial Ace

So when people expect serperior, they are going to bring in a special wall expecting the sub calm mind set. Now here comes physical swords dance serperior. Swords dance and leaf blade make sense, as it will boost its attack to fairly high levels for a poke with only base 75 attack. Aqua tail will hit those fire and steel types, while aerial ace will take care of grass types and scoliopede. spread is preferred to outspeed jynx and kill scoliopede after a swords dance.

Edit: Shit, 4 sets in less than half an hour after the initial post!

Is it? Sawsbuck was considered pretty good (before the drops), and 75 Atk with Leaf Blade hits about exactly as hard as 100 Atk with Horn Leech.

252 Atk Serperior Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Absol: 154-183 (56.61 - 67.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Absol: 154-183 (56.61 - 67.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the sub-seeder set is better than the Offensive SD set because that 75 base Attack is just too low.
Just a note that you can discuss sets while it's in the posting period, but saying one is better than the other (when the two sets are different completely) doesn't really contribute much to the thread (or discussion), and should be saved for voting time. :3

Why is nobody using Contrary on Serperior :p
Anyways, this is my set

Serperior@Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd/200 HP/56 SpA
Overgrow
Nature: Brave
- Sunny Day
- Growth
- Leaf Blade
- HP Rock
This set takes a LOT of time to set up, which is why it isn't standard. However, it can give surprise factor when needed. After exactly two turns of set up(Sunny Day and Growth), Serperior can sweep as needed. +2 HP Rock OHKO mosts counters like Braviary and +2 Leaf Blade isn't too shabby either. A switch in like Charizard is hit hard by HP Rock. A user predicting a Zard switch can always use Focus Sash on the set instead so that it gets to +2 guaranteed before sweeping or can predict the switch and HP Rock, OHKOing. Life Orb allows for Overgrow levels to come a little quickly, meaning Serperior can set up, get to Overgrow levels and take 2-3 mons down with it.

You're using a brave nature (+Atk, -Spd) and running max speed. I know Serp has valuable bulk, but don't you think it's speed is its most important asset especially in this meta?

You're using a brave nature (+Atk, -Spd) and running max speed. I know Serp has valuable bulk, but don't you think it's speed is its most important asset especially in this meta?
Yeah, Serperior's speed is probably its best attribute. Vyomov, I'd recommend dropping either Defense or Special Defense instead of speed. You'll want to find out which stat is more important for him if you decide to change nature.

I think that Hidden Power Psychic really has it's own niche in the current metagame, it hits a whole host of Serperior's checks.

I don't have a particular set, I've just been using SubCM or SubSeed with Giga Drain and HP Psychic. Finding it pretty useful.

similar to Punchshrooms but mine has a specific purpose and is a little different.

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Taunt
- Glare

this set is what i mainly use as a lead or a wall breaker set. this set is pretty great if you dont have a spinner but dont really want one, you can just lead and taunt said rocker. the only couple pokemon that set up hazards you will want to be careful with (from what i found) armaldo, piloswine, scolipede, roselia and certain garbodors. even with that you can still taunt and switch or just switch. on the things you wont be fearing, you can taunt/glare/seed them to really put them at a disadvantage. i really like this set because many of the common leads are threatened out by serperior (golurk, golem, carrocosta etc) and you will be at the upper hand since not many people expect a serperior to lead let alone have a set like this. you can taunt a lead that doesnt threaten you out then glare on the switch or if they stay in and then giga drain or leech seed them. this set makes for a great support set as well, with max hp he can take hits well and hit some things with giga drain and completely shut down walls. also nothing is avoiding para except for things with limber, so you can slow everything down to support stronger pokes that arent as fast.
as for wall breaking, its fairly simple; you can taunt them so they cant stall, leech seed them (many walls having a big HP stat) and paralyze them. works very well and is tied with the CM set as my favorite. this set has found its way onto many of my teams.

more things to note:

252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 274-324 (77.4 - 91.52%)
252 SpA Butterfree Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 222-264 (62.71 - 74.57%)

252 Atk Choice Band Tauros Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 255-301

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 300-354 (84.74 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 266-314 (75.14 - 88.7%)

252 SpA Rotom-S Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 222-264 (62.71 - 74.57%)

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Coil / Glare
- Leaf Blade / Dragon Tail

This set has two functions: being a set up attacker with Coil+Leaf Blade/Dragon tail or spread paralysis with Glare+Dragon Tail. The set can definitely function well on teams without sap sipper threats like Miltank, Sawsbuck, and Girafarig.

i really like this set because many of the common leads are threatened out by serperior (golurk, golem, carrocosta etc)
Just gonna point out that this set can't really do much to Golurk after stopping rocks from coming up. If Serperior uses Taunt to stop the rocks, Golurk deals about 58-68%. Serperior can use Giga Drain instead, but that's only a 3HKO on standard support Golurk, and I don't think the absorbed health will quite save Serperior. (Unless it starts attacking from turn 1, forgoing Taunt.) Choice Band Golurk, though it won't be setting up rocks, will OHKO Serperior outright. This Serperior set actually has a pretty hard time against Golurk.

On the other hand, many opponents would assume a high-SpA set and get the heck out of there anyway, avoiding the incoming 2HKO. Sometimes the threat of violence is just as effective as the use.

Yeah, Serperior's speed is probably its best attribute. Vyomov, I'd recommend dropping either Defense or Special Defense instead of speed. You'll want to find out which stat is more important for him if you decide to change nature.
While Speed is it's best attribute, the issue I'm seeing is that with natures hitting on the defenses, more and more pokemon find ways to counter the set. I could run Serious Nature and avoid all these issues, but the +Atk is needed considering I'm not giving Atk any EVs.
One option might be to give 50 EVs from HP to SpD and THEN run a naughty nature, enabling me to get past some issues in Bulk, although that does mean sacrificing some HP :(
Any advice?

Okay I finished my post on Mirror Coat so here it is.

Serperior @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Rock]
-Mirror Coat

Mirror Coat allows Serperior to beat or at least severely dent many of its checks and counters, including Scarf Zard, Scarf Jynx, Regice, Vileplume, and Roselia by reflecting back the damage from Fire Blast, Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb doubled. While Calm Mind might seem weird on a set with Mirror Coat, the SpD boost is actually extremely important as it actually lets Serp survive most of said incoming attacks, and letting it OHKO with Mirror Coat. Just note that you may want to boost to +2 against Zard, and not boost at all against defensive Plume/Rosies. Anyway, even after all is said and done, Serp isn't through yet. After using Mirror Coat, you will tend to be in Overgrow range, which lets you strike really hard with a STAB LO Giga Drain, while also restoring your health in the process.

The EVs are pretty straightforward: Max SpA and max Speed to get the most power and bulk possible. I didn't mess around with the EVs since Serp did everything he needed to do with this spread already. Life Orb is used because Serp needs all the power he can get, but since he's much weaker to status than the standard set, Lum Berry is an option. Especially since Fire Blast, Ice Beam and Sludge Bomb all have a chance of statusing you (lol rage freeze). Finally, for teammates I would recommend a cleric (especially if you're using Life Orb), a spinner (hazards really screw over Serp's chances of pulling off a Mirror Coat), and a late-game sweeper that really appreciates these threats gone.

While Speed is it's best attribute, the issue I'm seeing is that with natures hitting on the defenses, more and more pokemon find ways to counter the set. I could run Serious Nature and avoid all these issues, but the +Atk is needed considering I'm not giving Atk any EVs.
One option might be to give 50 EVs from HP to SpD and THEN run a naughty nature, enabling me to get past some issues in Bulk, although that does mean sacrificing some HP :(
Any advice?
A Serious nature might be a better option than Brave though since Serperior hates having its speed lowered by its nature.

Having a Quirky nature on Serperior does NOT make it better. First of all, without the +Spe Nature, it fails to outspeed Pokemon that it usually want to outspeed, namely Scolipede and Tauros. I would rather have a -Def nature than a neutral one, or Giga Drain > Leaf Blade so that you can make that a -Atk Nature.

Again this is my opinion, so you don't have to apply it if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magic Coat on Serperior is an interesting idea, but it's only really helping you against Regice and Roselia/Vileplume. The thing about them though is that they're not really as common as they used to be anymore. It's neat that you do get to beat them, but I don't think it's worth missing out on either Taunt or Substitute. If you need to boost up before you can take a hit from Scarf Zard or Jynx you might as well just go for HP Rock against them.

To be honest the only sets that I would say are worth using are CM with Sub/Taunt, Coil with Sub/Taunt, and maybe Dual Screener. Since I haven't seen anyone post Dual Screener I figure I might as well do it myself.

Serperior (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Giga Drain

Super fast dual screener with great bulk. Taunt is great on this for the same reason its good on Calm Mind, its typing fits great for an anti Stealth Rock lead as it can attack those Rock- or Ground-type Pokemon with STAB Giga Drain. Since Serp isn't using Hidden Power Rock it will always outspeed Calm Mind Serperior and prevent it from setting up any Calm Minds or Substitutes.

Serperior (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Giga Drain

Super fast dual screener with great bulk. Taunt is great on this for the same reason its good on Calm Mind, its typing fits great for an anti Stealth Rock lead as it can attack those Rock- or Ground-type Pokemon with STAB Giga Drain. Since Serp isn't using Hidden Power Rock it will always outspeed Calm Mind Serperior and prevent it from setting up any Calm Minds or Substitutes.
That set is already onsite. Go see for yourself.

When considering Serperior's checks and counters, a few Pokemon come to mind, most of which are offensive. Some examples include Braviary, Swellow, Sap Sipper Pokemon such as Sawsbuck and Miltank, and opposing Grass-types. But to me, the biggest counter to Serperior is Toxic Spikes. Since Serperior is often found running Taunt, it is difficult to status it without catching it on the switch. Because of this, Toxic Spikes are truly the easiest way from preventing it from doing most of its jobs: set-up sweeper sets lose vitality and are unable to sweep full teams and Leech Seed sets are unable to stick around long enough to disturb the opponent and weaken his Pokemon.

That said, while it would otherwise seem like an inferior option, my set's purpose is to handle Toxic Spikes which, in my opinion, are the best check for any Serperior.

Serperior @ Leftovers / Life Orb | Trait: Overgrow
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy

This set is sort of similar to Musharna's flagship set with Calm Mind and Heal Bell, but this one trades in bulk for immediate offensive presence. Giga Drain is both STAB and recovery which makes it the best option for any Calm Mind set. Hidden Power Rock and Fire are there for coverage, and you basically have to choose which type of coverage you would rather have. Since many Grass-types are very bulky, it can be of benefit to run Fire over Rock. The issue here is that with Fire, you are walled by opposing Fire-types such as Flareon and Torkoal. For this reason, I typically prefer Rock. Calm Mind is there for boosting purposes. Finally, the choice between Leftovers and Life Orb depends on whether you want more immediate power or survivability. Both are good in their own regards, though Life Orb's immediate power is greatly appreciated.

The main difference between this set and the standard one with Taunt (in fact, the ONLY difference), is the presence of Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a really cool move for a variety of reasons. First off, it handles status that Taunt could not otherwise handle. Did you switch into a Scald only to get burned? Problem solved. Did your opponent set up Toxic Spikes that you are unable to get rid of? Problem solved. I have run Taunt Serperior alongside Heal Bell Miltank, and while it seems like they make good partners, not being able to handle Toxic Spikes is a very large issue. In addition to being able to handle pesky statuses, Aromatherapy is a cool move to have on teams in general. Untimely burns and toxics against your team can mean the difference between winning and losing a match. Giving Serperior Aromatherapy is a cool way to get utility out of the set, even against teams where Serperior is probably not going to sweep.

Overall, there's really no way for Serperior to beat many of the Pokemon that check and counter it. Faster Flying-types are going to give it troubles no matter what you run. Sap Sipper Miltank is going to wall your set whether you like it or not, unless you want to sacrifice better coverage just to beat it. Status is always going to be the bane of Serperior, and running Aromatherapy on Serperior is not detrimental for its Calm Mind set.
I have tried using serperior with aromatherapy and it can only have it when using hardy nature. i see in your set you are running timid which i dont think is legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)