The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
hnc, would consider chimpact's set but is outclassed by cm slowbro. high speed isn't enough to account for bad initial bulk, no regen

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's not just that. It is more resilient against knock off users, less vulnerable to toxic and status with natural cure, and has better bulk after a cosmic power.

Krookodile @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

ChestoResto Bulk Up Krook. Idea is to boost up against something that can't do much to you like Forry or Umbreon, rest off any damage you've accrued, then sweep through a slower team. Intimidate and HP EVs to let you take hits easier, speed to outspeed good shit like hera or rotom-h, 4 atk because it's not doing much good anywhere else.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Knock Off

This thing is a night mare to opposing teams. Krookodile utilizes Intimidate to force a lot of switches, giving you time to Roar, get rid of items or the opponent, or Rest up. Being able to wipe Status is awesome. Speed are for stuff trying to creep adamant Krow like Celebi, Jirachi, Mew, etc. The opponents team will soon be without items, and damaged through Rocky Helmet and Roar + hazards. This set needs hazards to be fully operational, but Krook pairs well with good toxic spikes users like Tentacruel or Roserade, and for rocks a Blissey is cool too.

Calcs will come later, they aren't that important for this set tbh.

EDIT: this set sounded cool it is garbage in practice. No EQ hurts, can't find teamslot easily since not even carrying rocks

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
actually calcs are kinda extremely important for that set lol. it seems cool on paper but the problem is it can't switch into the main physical attackers in the tier (kinda the same problem the standard defensive krook has, but amplified cause now you don't even have EQ for absol. even bigger problem is that now your utility is solely knock off so any mega comes in without risk. at least with the other defensive set you have stealth rock and taunt to stop stall tactics.

anyway, i've always been a fan of 4 attacks non-choice krook, especially pursuit variants. moxie snowballs really well once you get to +1 and can switch attacks, but krook's main problem is its speed. and im /really/ not a fan of slapping assault vest on random shit, but idk this could work:

Krookodile @ Assault Vest
Trait: Moxie (i suppose intimidate would work just as well)
Adamant Nature
156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Superpower

takes 58% max from scarf hydra's draco deteor, 76% max from LO, and ohkos with superpower after rocks.

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Krookodile: 162-192 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Krookodile: 240-284 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Krookodile: 312-369 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Krookodile: 288-339 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

mega blaster's water pulse also fails to ohko but you cant hurt that so wutevz lol

So I went through the moves and Krook's movepool is literally Dark moves galore so I decided to utilise one that Heatran loved to troll OU with. That move being Torment. With the plethora of Mono-attackers, Choice Locked Pokemon and mons that otherwise cannot do much to Sub + Torment Krook, it only seemed fitting to make use of quite an underused (LOLOLOL DID U SEE MY PUN) move.

Krookodile @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 248 Atk / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Torment
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Dis be the set. Jolly 140 Speed lets it outpace Adamant Lucario and then HP to hit Sub number and rest dumped into Attack. Intimidate to make setting up Sub easier on weak Physical Attackers then yeah, Torment the Mono Attackers such as Slowbro (Psyshock doesn't work), Hydreigon locked into Draco, Suicune going for Scald, Florges going for Moonblast etc etc. This set (due to Substitute) is quite frustrating to revenge kill since you're basically going to have to sacrifice a Pokemon's Item (or sack so Sub isn't up) in order to kill it and even then Krook has pretty tasty natural bulk so ye. Idk this is all I could come up with, hope you enjoy, I don't know if there's any relevant calcs but i'll have a look and see :]

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
So I went through the moves and Krook's movepool is literally Dark moves galore so I decided to utilise one that Heatran loved to troll OU with. That move being Torment. With the plethora of Mono-attackers, Choice Locked Pokemon and mons that otherwise cannot do much to Sub + Torment Krook, it only seemed fitting to make use of quite an underused (LOLOLOL DID U SEE MY PUN) move.

Krookodile @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 248 Atk / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Torment
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Dis be the set. Jolly 140 Speed lets it outpace Adamant Lucario and then HP to hit Sub number and rest dumped into Attack. Intimidate to make setting up Sub easier on weak Physical Attackers then yeah, Torment the Mono Attackers such as Slowbro (Psyshock doesn't work), Hydreigon locked into Draco, Suicune going for Scald, Florges going for Moonblast etc etc. This set (due to Substitute) is quite frustrating to revenge kill since you're basically going to have to sacrifice a Pokemon's Item (or sack so Sub isn't up) in order to kill it and even then Krook has pretty tasty natural bulk so ye. Idk this is all I could come up with, hope you enjoy, I don't know if there's any relevant calcs but i'll have a look and see :]

I like SubTorment Pokemon but I thought they needed Protect to work too?

Also your set has sort of inefficient EVs. Natures boost by 10% so they generally go to the highest stat to get the most points unless you really want to max something else out (like using Jolly max speed Krook to outspeed everything below Krook and tie other Krook). So your nature should be Adamant with 128 Attack, 240 Speed and 120 HP. This gives you 20 EVs to spare on whatever you want while giving you the exact same stats as your Jolly spread.

Thank God Quaggy is gone...

Krookodile @ Leftovers
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

This set disguises itself as a standard support Krook as it comes in, what with Taunt and Intimidate. However, this set is actually a threatening setup sweeper, mainly thanks to Bulk Up. After one bulk up, STAB Earthquakes and Knock Offs can take huge chunks out of a lot of the metagame.

+1 252+ Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 177-211 (51.4 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 453-534 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 326-386 (82.7 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 292-345 (93.8 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224 Def Florges: 259-306 (71.9 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recoveryrecovery

It can even take some very powerful hits on the physical side following either an Intimidate or a Bulk Up:

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. +1 156 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 295-348 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. +1 156 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 270-320 (72.9 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. +1 156 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 234-276 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. +1 156 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 109-129 (29.4 - 34.8%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

STAB Earthquakes and Knock Offs kill in return following these hits (or 2HKO in Aerodactyl's case). If Krookodile has both an Intimidate and +1, tanking these hits is even easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)