The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, this is something I used in my X cart for a while and probably the most creative thing I could come up with that isn't Choice Band or the legendary "Stallbreaker" Hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Scope Lens / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 92 Atk / 164 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower / Iron Tail
- Focus Energy

Basically, give Hydreigon a Kritzkrieg and start doing work. Ya set up the Focus Energy and blow things up. It's very simple. Thanks to the nature of critical hits, you ignore your SpA drops from Draco Meteor, and the Atk drops from Superpower, enabling Hydreigon to muscle past each of its defensive checks with the appropriate move. You prolly noticed I slashed Scope Lens and Life Orb. Well the reason is because thanks to how crits work, once again, Hydreigon has 100% chance of getting critical hits after setting up Focus Energy. Without the Scope Lens, your chances of crits are reduced to 50% after Focus Energy, but bear in mind that's still ridiculously high, and you manage to hang onto the extra power. Iron Tail is slashed by Superpower because the choice lies in whatever your team would happen to struggle with more: Blissey or Florges, considering it lures both of them in exceptionally well. 92 Atk EVs are to allow Hydreigon to 2HKO 252/232 Florges after Rocks with Iron Tail without using Focus Energy, assuming you aren't using Life Orb.

Now while it is a wallbreaker, you don't just whip it out and expect it to do work whenever; it's best to set up Focus Energy after identifying the opponent's defensive checks to Hydreigon and ensuring they've possibly been softened up a little. This is VITAL if you're using Life Orb, in the event you fail to get a critical hit. The best part of this set is with Scope Lens, Hydreigon will often be bluffing a choice item, and with Life Orb, it still maintains offensive utility until you're ready to drop the big one on something trying to switch in. Sticky Web support not required, but it would be extremely dope if you add it.

Calcs:
92 Atk Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 170-200 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges on a critical hit: 254-300 (70.5 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges on a critical hit: 330-390 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

92 Atk Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey on a critical hit: 534-630 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey on a critical hit: 694-819 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

92 Atk Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon on a critical hit: 354-416 (89.8 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 190-224 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Guaranteed after SR)
92 Atk Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse on a critical hit: 218-258 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse on a critical hit: 283-335 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Okay this thing is probably enough of an issue that you'll want to ensure is worn down before attempting to go in on it. You still smash it tho)

92 Atk Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 218-258 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 283-335 (76 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
92 Atk Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon on a critical hit: 328-386 (88.1 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dark Pulse

Yeah, sure, you could just go for a balls-deep mixed Life Orb wallbreaker, or you could bring some TRUE INNOVATION. Specially Defensive Stallbreaker Hydreigon. Sure, it loses to Florges, but lol who uses that anymore? This set beats the fuck out of Blissey no prediction needed. Taunt + Dark Pulse beats Mew and bulky waters as well. Basically, if it's not a Fairy-type, that wall loses to this. This thing also checks Chandelure, Mega Houndoom, etc. The Speed EVs outrun non-Scarf Darmanitan and other base 95s. It can do work against pif stall especially, yo. Cool set, you want this.

EDIT: smh the tyrants of this forum demand some bullshit calcs

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Hydreigon: 170-201 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery such counter
0 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 254-300 (64.4 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery many damage
Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Hydreigon: 100-100 (25.7 - 25.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery wow

REVOLUTION

Last edited:

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

Hydreigon @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 40 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Iron Tail
- Crunch

All good sets have already been posted but theres still ma boy DMT CB Hydreigon, your would be hydreigon counter isnt safe when popped by an iron tail

252+ Atk Choice Band Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 316-374 (87.7 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

huehue :]

yeah you did but i didnt notice lol thanks granny

so uh sl just edit in your calcs since this is the first time this has happened and uve been ded and all

Last edited:
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Snatch
- Encore
- Counter

Bam.

Presenting the Anti-Choice, Anti-Stall, Anti-Physical Alakablam.

Rocks breaking sashes? Pssssssshnaw. He's a magician. You can't take his Mr. Universe sash away from him. He's the man.

They be bringin' in the Florges? Snatch that Wish away from him, then Encore him into it. Or take a Moonblast like a beast with your SPECIAL DEFENSE INVESTMENT.

You want a calc? I got a calc.

4 SpA LittlePrissyFlower Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Alakablam: 93-111 (36.9 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Three hits. That's THREE. HITS. Moonblast has 24 PP. That's one-eighth of his moon sorcery reserves gone.
That's enough to take one, Encore him and take another, and get an assist as he (Baton) passes (GF why you gotta deny a homie like this) the ball to his center to dunk that little Fairy crybaby. Don't say Alakablam doesn't look out for his boys.

Oh no! A wild Hipster Mienshao with a striped scarf has appeared soliciting you about his (fake) Apple products! Good thing you have just the Counter to his marketing tactics.

Black bird, you say? What bird? Blam can take Sucker Punches for days with his Mr. Universe Sash and smack that smug Mafia thug right back. Alakablam don't deal with no shady people.

Here, more calcs. I know you guys be lovin' those.

252 Atk SteveJobsWorshipper Knock Off Apple Product (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakablam: 251-251 (99.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed SALTINESS
252+ Atk MafiaBurd Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakablam: 251-251 (99.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed SALTINESS

252 SpA Mr. Universe Sash Alakablam Counter vs. Salty Physical Attacker -- guaranteed more SALTINESS, aim for the sash next time, oh wait you did

Bam.

Alakablam got reflexes of steel.
He'll snatch ya dance away from ya before ya even start, leavin' ya slack-eyed and drop-jawed in the middle of a battlefield.
He'll disable what's left of your tiny libido when you see him out on the field.
They be expecting the book attacks. Alakablam don't deal with no books. Alakablam gets down and dirty. He'll take any swing and double it right back.

Writing this post made me thirsty. Where's the god-forsaken vending machine on these god-forsaken forums?

EDIT: ALAKABLAM TRANSCENDS TIME AND LEARNS COUNTER FROM HIS FOREFATHERS BEFORE HIM WHILE STILL MAINTAINING HIS HIP MAGIC GUARD.

EDIT2: You can also run Protect over Counter for more Disable on Encore action. If you're a prissy.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You leave me no choice Tony Montana

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Anti-Lead Alakazam. Not a lot of flexibility Alakazam's getting to work with despite his super dope supportive movepool, since he's so frail. I've used this guy a bit, and it holds up rather decently. Being able to outrun and Taunt every single lead in UU (Infernape, Azelf, and Galvantula, Aerodactyl being the only one who outruns you...luckily lead Aero is incredibly rare amirite) makes Alakazam a valuable asset for (Hyper) offensive teams that rely on a lead of their own. Alakazam's able to ensure that the opposing lead has been dealt with and rendered unable to set up so that once its job is done, your own lead can actually do its own job. Psyshock and Shadow Ball have decent coverage, the former being STAB and the latter hitting Azelf, being rounded out by Dazzling Gleam. Thunder Wave can be used to ruin Choice Scarfers (Alakazam outspeeds literally almost everything else but this is as 'creative' as I could get without basically posting a standard 3 attackers + filler Alakazam set) who opt to not go for U-turn. It also gives Alakazam a move to play around Honchkrow and various other Sucker Punch users with, which I guess will annoy some person somewhere in this world. Heck it might work against said guy, too. Focus Sash allows it to survive those turn 1 encounters since a stiff breeze is probably knocking up to 90% off Alakazam's HP. It also allows it to work as a revenge killer mid-game thanks to Magic Guard making it immune to hazards, preserving Focus Sash.

But yeah tl;dr use Taunt, stop people from setting up, attack where needed. Works best as a backup guy to cover your own suicide lead to ensure they don't get hassled by opposing leads, and conveniently also able to work as a revenge killer later in the match. Creativity/10

Since I actually used this I guess I can post some replays. There's little to no intuitive posting calcs on this kind of a set since offense isn't the primary focus...

EDIT: ALAKABLAM TRANSCENDS TIME AND LEARNS COUNTER FROM HIS FOREFATHERS BEFORE HIM WHILE STILL MAINTAINING HIS HIP MAGIC GUARD.
Actually, no he doesn't; Counter is a 3rd gen tutor move, Magic Guard is a 5th gen and onward Hidden Ability, and Ability Capsule can't change to HAs. You want Counter Zam, you can't run Magic Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)