The Next Best Thing... [V2]: Set Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah i hate to be that guy again but

Physical Sweeper
########
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Relic Song
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Serene Grace
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

this is the set, straight off the analysis.

in the future, you guys really need to check before you post :/

Isn't the point to find untapped potential in the UU tier? This set is NEVER seen, EVER, and I've added further viability to it... I knew it was standard set... my argument is for its surprise factor.

I'm with King UU on this. There's a lot of sets that are good that don't see usage on the analyses. Whimsicott's only set on its analysis is the support set, but that's rarely--if ever--seen in favor of the offensive set. Some of the sets are old juggernauts like SuperRachi and SubCM Chandelure. If non-mixed Meloetta-P does stupid amounts of work (it totally does), why discount it?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
From the OP:

"Each week, I will choose a different UU Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiousity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site."

(Emphasis mine.)

I'm with King UU on this. There's a lot of sets that are good that don't see usage on the analyses. Whimsicott's only set on its analysis is the support set, but that's rarely--if ever--seen in favor of the offensive set. Some of the sets are old juggernauts like SuperRachi and SubCM Chandelure. If non-mixed Meloetta-P does stupid amounts of work (it totally does), why discount it?
Because it's literally already been done almost the exact same way in this gen. Hogg gets my vote for briging back a variant of the deadly mixed set, which changes forms constantly. And just so you know, Life Orb 3 Attacks is the first set listed on Whimsicott's analysis, then several support sets.​

Alright, so right now it's a 3-way tie between Hogg, Kitten Milk, and King UU. I'm leaving voting open for a bit longer cause there was kind of a shortage of votes on this.

LOL @ Last Resort set. I was like "yep, someone's gonna do RS + Last Resort but I'm not gonna be that terrible guy" when I saw LR in Mel's moveset. I didn't submit my Gravity set with Serene Grace Thunder and Focus Blast because I thought it was a bit too gimmicky but...maybe not. By the way, not dissing the set because it's hilarious when it works, just pretty gimmicky.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Machamp
@ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

This is the RW3 set that was made popular by me in RW2. Does enough to 2KO most bulky mons whilst carrying Heavy Slam to Ohko ALL forms of Florges + Aromatisse. With Stealth Rocks has a great chance of 2OhKoing Suicune, or at least checking the thing very hard with minimum ~44% damage:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 171-202 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 394-464 (109.4 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 382-450 (94 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

also for future reference, you can't reserve sets. it clogs up the thread, sorry unun :[

also cb champ was never popular hell0

Machamp @ Leftovers/Liechi Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam/Natural Gift

150 BP STAB coming off 130 Base Attack hurts even resisted. Evs maximizes power outspeeds Florges rest in Hp to increase the bulk. Natural gift can be used to hit bulky waters harder.(100 BP Grass move with Liechi Berry)

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Machamp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Heavy Slam / Poison Jab / Stone Edge

Basically the standard set with guts over no guard, which lets it beat scald users and sableye more easily. it also beats random shit like will-o-wisp chandelure which normally shits on champ. speed beats 4 speed umbreon.

if thats too standard for this, here's something else:

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 168 / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Toxic

this worked a lot better when slowbro was around since it could beat it one-on-one, but it still works. basically you sub/dpunch on the switch, do the other next turn if its safe, and if its something slower, you can toxic it and stall it out by knocking off its leftovers and letting it hit itself as you hide behind a sub. tis cool beans.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Machamp @ Toxic Orb / Flame Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Facade

So basically this is a Guts Machamp. This is gives it the power of a Choice Band set, but allows it to switch moves at will. Close Combat is the most powerful STAB move and Knock Off is coverage and removes items. Facade is cool on this set and grants VERY good coverage alongside Close Combat and Knock off and nails Fairy-types and Toxicroak for some nice damage. Bullet Punch is for priority and picking off weakened Aerodactyl so they can't check you.

Machamp @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

This is somewhat akin to Heracross's SD set from a few months ago and is probably the best/only replacement for that set available in UU. Basically after one Bulk Up you have the same power as Choice Band but the ability to switch moves, and you also have a nice buff to your defense that helps you become a lot harder to kill. The EVs outspeed Florges since you really want to just kill it before taking a whole lot of damage from Moonblast.

Guts is important on this set because it allows you to decimate stall almost to the extent that SD Heracross could. Being burned by Scald or Sableye, or being poisoned by Toxic Spikes, only adds to your power as a wallbreaker. Basically you're able to 2HKO any defensive Pokemon bar Granbull with a boost. In addition, Close Combat hits harder than DynamicPunch and guarantees you some important KOs, like against Suicune and Alomomola. Also, confusion is shit.

+1 252+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 211-250 (52.2 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 394-464 (109.4 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 268-316 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And even if you're not facing stall, using Bulk Up helps you by being difficult to revenge kill vs. offense while nearly always being able to get a KO against the frailer mons that try to do so.
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. +1 92 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. +1 92 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 236-282 (68.6 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. +1 92 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 200-238 (58.1 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. +1 92 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 199-235 (57.8 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Machamp @ Life Orb
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

So this set helps to circumvent one of Machamp's biggest issues with longevity. Premise is to smack around stuff with Life Orb boosted attacks, eventually resting and then throwing out some Guts powered Life Orb attacks. It acts as a decent sleep absorber and the damage is pretty horrifying. Relies a little bit on good Sleep Talk rolls but least its not Dynamic Punch.

252+ Atk Life Orb Guts Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 274-325 (67.8 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Guts Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 214-253 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Guts Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 272-321 (72.9 - 86%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Guts Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 255-300 (72.2 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Guts Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 286-337 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

A Round of Applause...or Two
Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard/Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dynamic Punch/Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Substitute

Terrible joke for a set name, I know (even if Machamp does have 4 hands...). Two things should immediately stand out about this set - max Speed and Encore. Basically this set takes advantage of Machamp's access to Encore to shut down stall Pokémon by hiding behind a quick(ish) Substitute to block status, if needed. Encore can also surprise a few slower set-up sweepers, such as CroCune, and sweepers who boost while expecting a switch. Dynamic Punch also synergizes well with Substitute by generating free turns from switching or fishing for a confusion self-hit. Alternatively, Focus Punch hits significantly harder and lets you run Guts, but is less reliable and tough to use in a pinch, so Dynamic Punch is usually the better STAB choice.

EVs are simple. Max attack to bring the pain with DyPunch and Knock Off, and max Speed with a Jolly nature to reach 229 Speed, outspeeding everything up to 12 Spe neutral base 95's and speed tie Jolly Scrafty/Crawdaunt (which are usually Adamant anyway) and put them in checkmate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)