Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Block
- Yawn
- Memento
- Scald

another oldie from gen 4 which has fallen out of grace, mostly because of the little amount of quickpass teams and the rise of stuff like whimsicott and cottonee with prankster memento or prankster dual screens from meowstic and you get the idea by now. however, gastrodon does possess a little surprise factor. the combination of block + yawn + rindo berry allows you to get a target to sleep before dying, which paves the way for the likes of gorebyss and combusken to get their boosts, or even glass cannons such as shell smash (insert here either omastar or barbaracle maybe), swords dance gligar and probably some other shit i'm forgetting. if such a strategy is too gimmicky and ends up failing, you still have memento to fall back on.

phantom

Banned deucer.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 168 HP / 216 SpA / 112 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Sludge Bomb

Tank slug. Gastrodon actually has a very nice offensive movepool, some great bulk, coverage, and a nice recovery move, making it an ideal bulky attacker. The EVs look weird, but they accomplish a few things. First, it allows Gastrodon to outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior (make sure to account for Speed creep when you ladder though), have 405 HP, which is a little over the amount a fully invested base 100 HP user has, while also using the SpD investment to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Scarf Moltres's Hurricane. Scald is the best Water STAB due to the burn chance being way better than the extra 10 BP. Earth Power is used to smash Doublade, Alomomola, and Electric-types. In the last slot, both moves are meant to target Grass-types, but Sludge Bomb can better deal with Mega Abomasnow and Aromatisse, whereas Ice Beam is better for Amoonguss and Druddigon, so it really just depends on your team.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Counter
- Earth Power

Counter dem hits. standard gastro but w/ counter.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Call it me having a fetish for curse but this thing is actually awesome, I used it on one of my teams as of late and it put in a lot of work. For one it has a scald immunity, the bane of most physical sweepers. Its stabs are also quite decent. Not much to say here but I highly recommend you try it out. :]

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Magic Coat
- Waterfall

Call it me having a fetish for curse but this thing is actually awesome, I used it on one of my teams as of late and it put in a lot of work. For one it has a scald immunity, the bane of most physical sweepers. Its stabs are also quite decent. Magic coat allows you to set up on mola which is invaluable vs stall. Not much to say here but I highly recommend you try it out. :]
<atomicllamas> !learn gastrodon, magic coat
<TIBot> Gastrodon can't learn Magic Coat.

it gets mirror coat e_e

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Call it me having a fetish for curse but this thing is actually awesome, I used it on one of my teams as of late and it put in a lot of work. For one it has a scald immunity, the bane of most physical sweepers. Its stabs are also quite decent. Not much to say here but I highly recommend you try it out. :]
I'd use scald over waterfall since it is fairly weak also you know, scald is scald for a reason. You can turn physical attackers into set up fodder if you get a burn. Extra utility ain't kill nobody.

Pretty much defeats the purpose of the set and having curse lol.
No you sweep with eq. I'm no expert on this set but Rowdog was using it on one of his most successfull stall teams in UU. I don't know how well it would do in RU tho. Here his RMT

Also mixed sweepers with a boosting move are not bad. A good example to this is Infernape with Nasty Plot/Fire Blast/Grass Knot and CC to beat special walls such as Blissey and Umbreon.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Ice Beam

LO Gastrodon is actually a pretty cool tank (amiright GlassGlaceon) as it hits surprisingly hard with a fully invested base 92 Special Attack. This set also manages to make use of a couple of its niches over Seismitoad which otherwise gives it heavy competition, in this case Recover and Ice Beam. The Speed investment is for 0 speed base 50s (Tangrowth), and it can 2HKO with Ice Beam (needs rocks damage for Assault Vest Tangrowth to 2HKO 100% of the time, otherwise it is like a 90% chance to 2HKO). It also 2HKOs non-AV Druddigon, and is not 2HKOed in return (you should creep more because I think this speed ties with standard Druddigon right now). Essentially, Gastrodon is often pegged to be a defensive pokemon, but it can actually do decently well offensively while still being a pain to take down cause pro typing + good bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)