The Next Best Thing

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deglas

His set takes a more offensive approach to one of the most annoying sets in OU. Plus, Gravity is woefully underused, and can actually be really useful when used in conjunction with Spikes.

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Shurtugal's set ONE (choice specs)

Specs jirachi is a cool idea. As suggested by cherub agent, draco meteor is nice option and can also help against DDing dragons. Trick is a nice option too. Don't have time to confirm it now, but does Doom Desire hit through substitutes? Doom desire is a good option to lure in steel and water types. That way, ferrothorn and foretress are easily taken care of. However, i'd prefer flash cannon over doom desire, because being locked into doom desire doesn't appeal to me as jirachi then becomes set-up fodder for pokemon like volcarona, which becomes really dangerous even after a single boost.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
gengarsnemisis

Healing Wish on the scarf set is a very interesting switch up. Never considered that.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is Shurtugal's Choice Specs Jirachi set. This set will be added in the archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the nigslammer, Hydreigon!

Hydreigon is well known in this metagame as the one pokemon with no counters. This is true to an extent, as it can hit extremely hard on both sides of the offensive spectrum. Theres no better way to abuse Hydreigon's versatile power than boosting it with Work Up. I've used this set before and it's very effective, OHKOing many ofthe tier's defensive/specially defnsive tanks with hazard support, such as blissey, heatran, ferrothorn, skarmory and more at +1 atk/sp.atk.

The set i use is:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Naive Nature
Evs: 4 Atk/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spe
- Work Up
- Dragon pulse/Draco meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

once priority users and faster, hard hitting pokemon are removed, Hydreigon truly lives up to it's reputation with work up!

Hydreigon (M/F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Superpower
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / U-Turn

Choice Band Hydreigon isn't the best CB user but this set if played rightly can be very effective. Outrage is the main STAB and with the CB it hits very hard, U-Turn is nice to gain momentum, which is always useful, Earthquake is nice to surprise and kill Jirachi which is a common switch into the standard Hydreigon, Superpower hits Heatran and Ferrothorn under rain as well, Flamethrower/Fire Blast are both good choice to smash Fire-types such as Skarmory and Jirachi & Ferrothorn when rain isn't up and finally Crunch is the weaker STAB which is a good coverage move to hit Ghost-types and Psychic-types without use Outrage which would lock Hydreigon. As I already said, Hydreigon isn't the best Choice Band user in the game but, with the surprise factor, this set can be very effective, CB Hydreigon can surprise and kill Jirachi and then Tornadus can sweep more easily for example, so this set isn't bad at all and you should try it in some chance.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 240 HP / 220 SDef / 48 Spe
- Torment
- Substitute
- U-Turn
- Protect / Taunt

Let us introduce Unova's best Tormenter. Its stats are not unlike a certain Heatran and unlike Gliscor, Hydreigon sports a fine combination of resistances and weaknesses for Torment.
However, while TormenTran is a overall better candidate for stall, we recommend this one as a support for offensive teams with setup sweeper. It has the rare combination of U-Turn and Torment in order to gain massive momentum, something only Mew and Crobat can contend with but loose because of the worse typing and ability.
In the last slot you can have any filler move you need. Protect let you scout the next move of faster opponents and is especially powerful with Torment applied. Taunt prevents slower foes from setting up entry hazards. Other options are Roost, Tailwind, Thunder Wave; its support movepool is not lacking. It also can run Modest max SAtk Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse and Life Orb in order not to render itself a setup bait. Should it die in process you will gain offensive momentum regardless.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs

Hydreigon @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Surf
- Superpower
- Sunny Day / Rain Dance

Hydreigon can work on your team as a great weather setter, having immunities to Psychic and Ground type attacks, which means he can come in on things like Celebi or Heatran (Heatran won't be doing much with HP Ice) with ease. From there, you can set up your own weather. All the weather starters fear Hydreigon, barring SDef Hippowdon, so you can come in on any of them as well and set up sun or rain. I prefer the sun set, since Tornadus does a better job setting up the rain, but Hydreigon is sure to cause a lot of switches, and in the sun or rain his Fire Blasts and Surfs, respectively, will certainly pack a punch. Sun teams in particular will appreciate having something that can absorb Ground attacks and is immune to Spikes, but also isn't weak to Stealth Rock.

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Congrats, Shurtugal.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Scary Face (or, as cherub agent suggested, Thunder Wave)
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Scary Face Hydreigon. For those of you who don't know, Scary Face reduces the opponent's speed by two stages. I've had a lot of success with this set. This may seem rather hard to use, but it's not. The plan here is to switch in to a pokemon who is slower or is bound to switch out when it sees Hydreigon. For example, Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Blissey, heatran will mostly switch out when they see Hydreigon. The plan is to utilize this switch and to use Scary Face the counter. And then proceed to KO with the appropriate move. The opponent might want to sac the Pokemon or switch to another, both which could prove to be very costly.

Life Orb lets Hydreigon hit pretty hard, and Scary Face doesn't give Life Orb recoil. Focus sash could be used to ensure the KO, but..that's all. The EV spread ensures max speed and special attack to hit very fast and hard. Draco Meteor, Earth Power, Fire Blast provide perfect coverage.
To ensure this set works at its best, priority abusers must be eliminated. Skarmory is a fairly reliable partner as it takes care of Breloom, Scizor, Mamoswine, Dragonite, and Lucario. Tentacruel is good too, as it can burn the priority users with Scald and can Rapid spin. Offensive partners could be Volcarona, who can burn Hydreigon's counters or just setup as they switch.

EDIT: you are right, cherub agent. I swear i didn't see thunder wave in its movepool, or else i would have certainly put that instead of scary face. The only advantage it has over T-wave is being able to affect ground types and volt absorb users and severely crippling lum berry users....

I guess i can't change it now...or can i? Well, it's yours now, cherub.

Scary Face can miss, why not just use Thunder Wave? It's permanent, and no Ground-type wants to come in on a Hydreigon anyway, as they're all mauled by Draco Meteor.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 194 Spe
Mild / Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Superpower / Roost

Hydreigon is an incredible user of Tailwind, and generally amazing Pokemon to use on Sun teams (obviously not only on them, but the Specs set can straight up OHKO any weather starter, the Substitute set has excellent longevity, the mixed set is great at taking out Heatran etc). I've used this Hydreigon on my Sun team for a while now, as powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Darmanitan can more or less go to town under Sun and Tailwind. Hydreigon's huge slew of resistances and immunities (eight in total) allow it to reliably set up Tailwind; if this wasn't enough, it also has Roost to set it up multiple times and to offset that Life Orb recoil. The beauty of this set is really that every time you bring it out it can do a different thing. You can immediately set up Tailwind. You can instantly fire off a Draco Meteor. You can destroy some of Sun's greatest enemies such as Tyranitar and Heatran with a well placed Superpower. Hydreigon is an incredibly versatile Pokemon with no true counters, and has a large variety of sets that it can successfully run.

Aw, dammit Cherub Agent, I was gonna post that >:(
Anyhow, pkblizzard, another option for a Speed dropping attack would be Bulldoze, which is gonna hit pretty much anything that'll switch in, seeing as most Flying types/Levitators take huge damage from Hydreigon's other options anyhow, barring Bronzong. Maybe.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
Nature: Calm
-Taunt
-Roost
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power/Flamethrower

For an offensive Pokemon, Hydreigon has pretty good defensive stats. It's typing is also very good on the specially defensive side. It boasts good resistances to Water, Grass, Fire, Ghost, Dark, and Electric attacks, while also having an immunity to Ground and Psychic. It's weaknesses are usually found on the physical side, except maybe for Dragon. The EVs aren't optimized or anything, and perhaps this set would be a bit better off with a bit more of an offensive presence. It gets it's main competition from Latios, but Hydreigon's access to Taunt as well as resistance to Pursuit give it a decent edge. Earth Power or Flamethrower comes down to Heatran or Ferro, basically. Form the most part, taunt will shut down walls and their attacks will do pittance to Hydreigon, and it can serve as a wall itself against many special attackers.

YAY! Hydreigon is being discussed!
Just wanted to say that cherubagent's set looks pretty promising. Tailwind pretty much turned Hydreigon into OU's biggest body-bagger in history.

Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP/??? Atk/??? Spe
Nature: ???
-Taunt
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
-Thunder Wave/Substitute/Roar/U-Turn

I don't have the will or time to go get EV spreads on a calculator so it's pretty much up to you guys haha.
This Hydreigon works really well on more defensively oriented teams and really shows that Hydreigon doesn't always need to be spamming LO Draco Meteors all the time to be successful.
It needs entry hazards up and frankly it works pretty well with many spin-blockers that one can utilize on a team [most likely a Jellicent].
Anyway, Taunt really defines and distinguishes this set. It stops set-ups and phazing from the other side.
Dragon Tail is a great move to use alongside Taunt as hopefully you were able to Taunt the opponent out of a Substitute, so you won't have to worry about Dragon Tail not working.
Roost is kinda mandatory as this is bulkier and also if you forfeit Leftovers for Rocky Helmet, Roost is pretty much irreplaceable.
The last one is just really dependent on what your team can and can't do.
Thunder Wave slows down a number of threats and can make Latios go from a proud Eon Pokemon to a whimpering blue thing scared of pretty much any offensive Pokemon. Substitute allows you to survive hits, Dragon Tail safely, Taunt safely, and even rack up some Rocky Helmet damage. Roar is for when you really are scared of that Terrakion trying to get that Sub in your face. Finally U-Turn is awesome for not dropping momentum and also scouting out what your opponent will do.

But I really cherubagent's set still...more than mine hahaha

Hydreigon@chople berry/focus sash
nature: rash
ability: levitate
evs:140 attack/196sp attack/172 speed
moves
-taunt
-draco meteor
-fire blast
-superpower

This set gives up some of hydreigons destructive power with the life orb to be an offensive lead or a stall breaker. Even without a life orb, hydreigon is capable of 2hkoing most of the OU metagame, bar sp defensive walls like chansey who hydreigon can beat with taunt. The moves are the same as with all offensive hydreigon sets, superpower for heatran and tyrannitar, while fire blast and draco meteor give him flawless coverage. Taunt allows him to beat special walls, as i said, with ease as well as physical walls and stop most hazard stackers. The evs allow him to 2hko heatran, outpace threats with a base speed of 80 with a positive nature, and the rest is put into sp attack. Chople berry would be more useful overall as the main checks to hydreigon are breloom and terrakion, the chople lets him survive the hit and KO them back with superpower and fire blast respectfully. However, the focus sash lets him stop +2 outrages or check latios/garchomp. Hes ment to bait out and kill fightings, or other threats like scizor/mamoswine, making it easier for other sweepers like landorus or volcarona to sweep.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cherub agent, tailwind is such an underrated utility. It can really clinch matches when used right. Hydreigon is definitely a great user of it to as it's speed is really the only thing holding it back.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Cherub Agent

As much as i want to vote for myself, I'm going to go with his set. While my set does work, his set can be used on any type of team (I guess minus rain teams), and I've been using it recently, and I've seen great results. Even if this set gets revenged, now you can send out another Pokémon which will be at twice its normal speed.

Cherub Agent

The rest of the submitted sets are either gimmicky or just outclassed by something else. Tailwind Hydreigon, on the other hand, looks like a genuine threat that could catch unsuspecting teams off-guard. Interesting to note that Lati@s also get access to Tailwind, though Hydreigon is a better abuser due to possessing a superior movepool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)