The Next Best Thing

Cherub Agent, Tailwind is an underrated choice and fun to use too, that's why I'm voting for Cherub Agent's Hydreigon.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cherub Agent

Tailwind+Hydreigon= Absolute Terror. It's quite easy to set up a Tailwind as well since Hydreigon forces so many switches.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Although I will say that the 64 extra EVs might be better placed in attack over HP. With 64 EVs in Atk, you can forego Life Orb for Leftovers and still get the OHKO on Tyranitar 100% of the time after Stealth Rock. You also get a 75% chance to OHKO Heatran after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of spikes, or after two switches in to Stealth rock if it has Air Balloon. Obviously the HP EVs help with bulk, but I'm just thinking that maybe investing in its offense might be better. Thoughts?

Cherub Agent

Tailwind Hydreigon can kill so many things and support the team at the same time. Easily worth a team slot.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is Cherub Agent's Tailwind Hydreigon set. This set will be added in the archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is the sand summoner, Tyranitar!

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Here is my set:

Tyranitar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Well dont laugh about this lol. I know its strange and even with rock polish its not the best but it has its merit. I was trying a dragon dance tyranitar before using this, but i came up with the conclusion that its really too slow to attempt a sweep, so i turned it into rock polish. Tyranitar has a great bulk that will let you setup easily, then you can actually attemp a sweep once you have removed scarfkion/keldeo. the evs speed lets you outspeed jolteon after the boost, and the rest is in hp for a random bulk. The "bad" thing about this set is that it has life orb, so if you are using this tyranitar for a specific reason like using it with stoutland you should not absolutely use it. Well, what else to say, it hits very hard, think about it like a rock polish terrakion but with sand stream. I preferred eq here because i think the drop of superpower is something that tyranitar cant have, it loses too much power. Other than that, its a fun set to use ^^

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nielel, you could try Low Kick - it hits most targets of Superpower only a little weaker but doesn't have the drawback of Superpower.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Low Kick / Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Curse

Another option for boosting Tyranitar is a Curse set. This set, unlike Nielel's, isn't really about sweeping, it's more about creating a strong tank. The only thing standing in the way of this set is Tyranitar's annoying x4 weakness to Fighting, which makes it very hard for him to set up more than one Curse. But if you can set up one or two Curses, it is ridiculously hard to take down. Chople Berry can really help you get to this point, by preventing Tyranitar from dying when your opponent sends out something like Breloom or Terrakion to KO you before you can set up. This brings us to the coverage move. Low Kick lets you hit Ferrothorn, Terrakion, etc. Whereas Fire Punch allows you to hit Breloom and Scizor. Earthquake lets you hit Toxicroak and Terrakion. Whichever you choose should just depend on your team.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Nielel, you could try Low Kick - it hits most targets of Superpower only a little weaker but doesn't have the drawback of Superpower.
yeah maybe, i didnt tought about it :0
In any case it still doesnt ko Ferrothorn and earthquake its a great move to defeat jirachi, so they are both viable i think.

I wasn't actually hoping to reveal this set just yet, but seeing as this thread seems like the perfect platform to do so, I may as well...

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

This set is a great change of pace from the usual Tyranitar sets. Although it requires a bit of support to work to its full potential, such as Rapid Spin support to keep hazards away, and good prediction to get in safely, when played correctly this set will usually net you 2-3 KOs per match. The reason it works so effectively is because of the surprise value - few people expect Tyranitar to run max Speed, and even fewer expect Tyranitar to run a mixed set in tandem with max Speed.

With Crunch you can bluff a choice item initially, only to KO the opponent with the appropriate move who think you're locked in. Some of Tyranitar's usual checks, e.g. Scizor, Breloom, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Tangrowth etc will be swiftly dealt with by Flamethrower/Ice Beam.

Focus Sash is an amazing item on this Tyranitar, as it enables it to get unexpected KOs on things that could formerly beat it. Most notable is Terrakion, whom attempts to revenge kill with Close Combat. Tyranitar's sash activates, and KOs Terrakion in the same turn with Superpower. You no longer have to hope that Gengar's Focus Blast will miss, as you will come out on top 100% of the time with Focus Sash still functional. Dragons trying to break through you will come to an icy end. The list goes on.

This Tyranitar may be lacking in terms of overall power, but its ability to turn the tide of the game in your favour makes it worth using. Obviously it isn't as adept at winning the weather war as the standard, bulkier Tyranitar sets, so I'd recommend you either use it in tandem with Hippowdon, or use it on an offensive team that doesn't really rely on weather but would like some way of checking other weather teams. Specifically, it tends to pair well with certain sweepers that are checked by mons that this Tyranitar lures in - Salamence/Lucario/SD Landorus-T to name a few, though another very notable teammate for this set is OTR Reuniclus, who appreciates Tyranitar removing Scizor from play.

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

This Tyranitar is a viable choice for Sand Offense teams I think. It usually sets up the Stealth Rock, then it uses an attack of him and finally it dies. Stone Edge is here just to spam some damages and to have a generic STAB, while Ice Punch is useful to hit Dragon-types such as Dragonite and Salamence without use Stone Edge since it has a bad accuracy, and Ice Punch allows to surprise Breloom, which often use Tyranitar as a free setup for its Sword Dance. The last move, Low Kick allows to smash opposing Terrakion, Tyranitar and some Steel-types and Rock-types as well, I prefer it instead of Superpower because it hasn't an annoying drop as Superpower and because it has more fire power on some fat Pokemon which I usually need to hit. Focus Sash is definitely a good and uncommon choice for any Sand Offense team which can work and surprise some opponent at the same time so if you want to be original and you want to try somewhat different, try this set people =)

Tyranitar @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit

This Tyranitar's main job is bluffing a Choiced-set early game, and then luring out and taking out Scizor thanks to the Babiri berry (Choice Band Bullet Punch does: 39.37 - 46.45% with babiri). Numerous special attackers not carrying HP Fire, or those commonly revenged by Scizor, such as Double Dance / Sub SD Terrakion will make good partners to this set. Outside of Scizor, it can pretty much take out any threat out there thinking it's choiced-locked into a move, like skarmory, ferrothorn, dragonite thinking you're locked into superpower. EVs allow you to speed creep opposing Tyranitar aiming to outpace Jellicent, as you're not really going to outspeed anything other than Jellicent / Skarmory / Scizor.

joshe

the best

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch / Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Pretty simple mixtar set that's focused on making sure it completes its job. Chople berry to beat out focus blast users such as gengar, tornadus and thundurus-t i guess. also lets it survive one keldeo secret sword at full health if you absolutely have to tank one. Bluff a choiced set or switch it in on Gengar Shadow Ball or even Tornadus Hurricane (if it hits) and kill while they mistakenly focus blast or superpower. Fire Blast 2HKOs pretty much every single steel type (except Specially Defensive Jirachi) even with a negative SpA nature. Also OHKOs Breloom (with SR or Sand Storm) with Fire Blast while tanking a mach punch with chople berry at high health of course.

The choice between moves are pretty simple imo. You can run Ice beam over fire blast if you really want to nail gliscor and Landorus-t but i think you might need a lonely nature to nail them with an OHKO on the switch but it kinda isn't as good as beating down all the steel types. You can also choose Crunch over Stone Edge if you want to but you nearly OHKO Tornadus and other frail and fast sweepers so I don't really see any point in risking the miss with stone edge. the rest of the moves are pretty standard and self explanatory. EVs are for standard bulk and to beat out 44 speed jellicent.

Code:
252+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 222-264 (84.73 - 100.76%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus: 196-232 (65.55 - 77.59%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 226-266 (86.25 - 101.52%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 200-236 (59.88 - 70.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 228-272 (64.77 - 77.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 356-420 (103.79 - 122.44%) -- guaranteed OHKO
edit: you dont have to run naughty nature, afterburn. adamant is fine as you still achieve all your 2hkos and without a - def/spD nature you can tank stuff like latias dracos better

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting Period for Tyranitar starts now, here are links to each set you can vote for:

Neliel
Halcyon of Light
DarkBlazeR
Alexander.
afterburn
joshe

For voting, just put the username of the person you wish to vote for in bold and a short 1 or 2 sentence explanation for why you chose that set. Voting will be open for 2 days! Feel free to VM or PM me any suggestions for the next test subject if you have any.

Alexander

Once again, I refuse to vote for myself. I like this set because it's a pretty good lead for offensive teams that would like to use weather yet don't really require it.

DarkBlazeR

This set can lure and kill a lot of threatening OU pokemon. Looks like a great choice if you want sand and really need to get rid of one of those threats.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DarkBlazeR

I got my ass kicked by one of these a week back, did not see the speed or the coverage coming at all. Brilliant original concept, and tears gaping holes through teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)