The Next Best Thing

| Checks and Counters |
| Volcarona 69.780 (82.46±3.17) |
| (41.8% KOed / 40.7% switched out)|
| Alakazam 65.248 (78.21±3.24) |
| (39.1% KOed / 39.1% switched out)|
| Gengar 60.284 (72.79±3.13) |
| (39.0% KOed / 33.8% switched out)|

I would love to vote for a set that included Stone Edge to deal with these three on the switch-in. They were the most reliable switch-ins of December's stats. Could I vote for Joey's set and pretend he meant Stone Edge instead of Sucker Punch? It's cool that you still get STAB from Tyranitar after Reflect Type.

Joeyboy's set. Reflect type is such an underrated move, and Mew takes perfect advantage of it. Sucker Punch and Drain Punch give almost unresisted coverage, although Sucker Punch is trickier to use. For example, Gengar comes in as you use Swords Dance, it can either A) use Substitute as you Sucker Punch, essentially giving away your only means of hitting or B) attempt to Shadow Ball you as you swiftly KO it. Focus Sash Alakazam is not as much of a problem, although Shadow Ball coming from it WILL dent Mew, possibly KO'ing it if it has taken prior damage.

With those flaws aside I can still say its a very viable set. Reflect Type to escape Scizor and Tyranitar without being KO'd is invaluable to a Pokemon like Mew. I would suggest Roost over Swords Dance though, so Mew can stick around longer.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
youngjake93, Gengar and Alakazam won't exactly like being hit with Sucker Punch. Volcarona is neutered by SR as well, and can usually be dealt with by partnering Mew with a Heatran or bulky Water-type.

Zam has Focus Sash and every Gengar has either Substitute or Sash.
Also, another move that could be used over Stone Edge is Dragon Claw/Dual Chop. Even Dragon Tail could be cool.

I vote Joeyboy and his reflect type set. It's unique, creative, and is a great away to counter its main threats, who can be lured in easily because its.. well... Mew. Tyranitar, Scizor, and counters without super effective coverage moves will be hard pressed to really do anything to mew once it uses reflect type, and this gives mew a nice niche as a lure who can counter attack. Once the opponent's pursuit user is taken out, latios and latias can't switch in easily on mew if you have your own pursuit user ready at hand.

I also like h-c's set, but i was so torn up between picking which one to vote for XP

Edit: also, i agree with youngjake93 and milos. i think the moveset should be:

-reflect type
-drain punch
-roost/swords dance
-dual chop/dragon claw/dragon tail/sucker punch

Dragon gives unresisted coverage next to fighting, until a steel-ghost is introduced in gen 6, that is :P roost helps keep you alive while holding LO, and lefties gives the dancer some needed health support. On the contrary, it could go full on offensive with lo or have roost and lefties. Or lum berry to cure status, but thats kind of a waste of a slot since synchronize also threatens the opponent. Sucker punch is nice since it has priority.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Joeyboy. His set has great surprise factor and it can take out mew's usual biggest threats in tyranitar and scizor.

Joeyboy. Reflect Type seems pretty cray and Mew is probably one if the only Pokemon able to run it effectively. A very good use of Mews massive array of moves.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Joeyboy. I don't even know why H-C's set is eligible for vote, since that set is on-site ;x I also like mcdanger's mixed set and Smilodon's unique BP set, but Joeyboy's set seems more consistent in terms of performance (also a mixed set would really want Life Orb). After SD, Drain Punch + Sucker Punch actually hurts :0 I'd choose Adamant Nature over Jolly, though, since Mew does get priority in Sucker Punch, and really needs all the boost it can get.

i dont think mew even gets recover, only roost and softboiled so im voting joeyboy cuz reflect typing a ferro is pretty sex and im willing to believe he at least tested it ._.

Joeyboy's set, it's an interesting strategy and I feel like it could give some very interesting plays. When played right that is.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Joeyboy's set, because Reflect Type is pretty creative on paper, and catches quite a few people off-guard in practice.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting is now closed and the winner is Joeyboys' Reflect Type Swords Dance Mew. This set will be added in the archive featured in the second post of the thread.

The next subject is one that has been deemed to be rather lackluster in the current metagame but can still serve a significant role and that Pokemon is Infernape.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Mach Punch
- Encore
- Torment

This is 'save your ass'nape. It is designed to dismantle the opponent's offense. This set is not made to switch into any attacks, but come in after a KO, from a slow U-Turn or during a predicted boost/substitute. The FEAR combo is obvious for revenging a dragon dancer or agilty/rock polish user. Encore+Torment combo can force other boosters users to switch out or KO themselves. Torment can also give you a free turn against something that is likely to use the same attack it just used against something else. If your sash is broken from rocks and you are up against something that is too fast, then at least you can fire off a decently powered mach punch.

*You can bring it in on Ice Beams and press Encore or you can U-Turn it in after a Scald/Hydro Pump and press Torment. Infernape has a few other resistances to make use of and you can choose to invest in HP over Attack. It isn't entirely limited to revenge killing.
**I guess a set with Protect/Torment/Taunt/Encore with Leftovers could work to abuse that 108 speed. It can essentially wall anything slower with Torment+Encore+Protect indefinitely. Taunt also stops you from being taunted and gives you ultimate control over stall mons who will of course be slower than you. Of course, you have to predict that they will use the same move twice in a row and use Torment or you have to predict that they will change moves and use Encore. Usually that won't be much of a problem unless they're playing mind games with you after figuring out the strategy.

Btw, I think Infernape was a good choice because it needs to find a new niche set for OU. All of its on-site sets are outclassed by other mons and the only thing it has going for it is that versatility. Plus maybe that its mixed set has a fast U-Turn.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

INFERNAPE @ Sub Salac
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 128 Atk | 128 SAtk | 252 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
Moveset: Substitute | Work Up | Close Combat | Fire Blast

Infernape is an interresting pokemon that can run a lot of different movesets which makes it really hard to counter it. That is why I made this set as it has a nice surprise factor, and can be fearsome when played right. I also wanna say that picking Infernape in this series is cool, as it is the realy next best thing so kudos for that.

Anyway the set is quite simple, Substitute is there for helping Infernape get down to the Salac level to raise its speed and protect it from status, Work Up is chosen because I wanted this set to be gimmicky, ann I know could have used maby SubNP with Vacuum Wave/Focus Blast, but then again Work Up needs more usage so therefore I wnet with it, anyway for you guys that donæt know Work Up Boost's both Atk and SAtk, which are the reason why I use a splittes EV spread, Anyway lets move on. Close Combat for reliable STAB and at 25% HP you are getting revenge killed by most prioroty bar Ice Shard so why not use the strongest move when you can, Fire Blast just for having insanely strong STAB, this guy hits so ridicoulusly hard with Fire Blast at +1 in Blaze range in sun, here are some calc's:

This is in sun, so you guys are aware of that.

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/32 SpDef Jellicent: 58,42% - 68,81% (2 hits to KO)

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Tentacruel: 59,34% - 70,05% (2 hits to KO)

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Tentacruel: 59,34% - 70,05% (2 hits to KO)

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Blissey: 54,62% - 64,29% (2 hits to KO)

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Deoxys-D: 110,53% - 130,26% (Guaranteed OHKO)

128 +1 SpAtk Blaze Infernape Fire Blast vs 252 HP/228 SpDef Rotom-W: 64,14% - 75,33% (2 hits to KO)
This realy shows the sheer power if this set, 2hko'ing bulky water types like Jellicent and Tentacruel, even 2hko's Latias which is quite awesome in my opinion, so that was basically it Infernape is a cool pokemon looking awesome and just the fact that is an ape on fire lol, and it realy deserves more attention than it get's right now.

Infernape is one of those Pokemon that CAN run many sets, as it has an awesome movepool, but imho only mixed and choice are really viable. it's too frail for setup, has few notable resistances, and if really hurt by rain. furthermore, it has numerous counters, all of them common, such as dragonite, lati@s, tentacruel, jellicent, starmie, and probably other that i've missed, so pulling off a successful sweep is unlikely. it's also pretty easy to revenge kill with any half decent choice scarf user. breloom's mach punh and stuff like aqua jet also take their toll. it's no wonder infernape isn't the top threat it used to be.

i'm going to be testing a set with toxic.. although i dont know if i'm gonna go mixed or physical. physical would probably be better as i can run flare blitz/cc/thunderpunch/toxic, as toxic is ineffective against tentacruel and starmie, while thunderpunch can mess them up on the switchin. all the other pokemon mentioned are pretty much crippled by a toxic. but yeah obviously his set relies really heavily on prediction, so it might also be feasible to run substitute over thunderpunch, in a similar way to subtoxic heatran. i'll post on my experiences once i've tested it.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Infernape @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat

Took a chapter from Venusaur's and Ninetales books. Infernape was considered a top tier wallbreaker last gen, but that all changed with the introduction of Drizzle to the OU metagame. In the rain Infernape's Fire-type stab is neutered and without it it can't hope to break pretty much any common defensive core. Jellicent and Tentacruel act as fairly good counters to the usual set but with Sunny Day that all changes. See a Politoed coming in? Use Sunny Day now something on the enemy team is gunna get smashed. Lati@s still remain apt counters to this set so U-Turn could potentially go over Close Combat but that removes your way to get past 'mons like Heatran or bulky Tyranitar. Plus the best Jellicent and Tentacruel can do now is either Toxic or use a weak Sun-weakened Scald. Expert Belt can be used if you're worried about too much passive damage but Life Orb helps in breaking Tentacruel.

Neliel

Sacred Sword

Infernape (F) @

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Infernape sucks. Seriously guys, unless you have a strong reason to use it because nothing else can do what infernape can, you would be better using something that can do its work better. It may work good in sun because his fire stab does something, other than that its a very poor choice. The reason is pretty simple, politoed itself its an enough reason not to use it. It is also weak as fuck, even neutral damage will almost kill it, so dont expect this thing surviving any hit. By the way, i came up with this set while i was testing a team, it works similarly to sash terrakion but it has a cooler move, endeavor. The point of the set is, taunt other stealth rockers, setup your own sr, then die with endeavor, so at least you have almost killed something. Close combat is a stab move to do some damage to ttar, ferrothorn and so on, preferred because it does more to politoed and its an overall better stab than fire.
Its not the best set in the world, but the only one (almost) that for me works.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Endeavor should be used with Mach Punch I know it has a very low base power and therefore you should use Iron Fist over Blaze as Blaze doesn't do anything for you, and as there is a lot off scarfers that loves to switch in to predicted Flare Blitzes or Overheat this can also help getting surprise ko's against huge threaths like Keldeo, Dragonite, Salamence and Lati@s, and heck even Scarf Politoed gets raped by that as Scarf Politoed is getting quite popular now.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Ok i know priority seems better on the paper but... have you ever tried monoattacking mach punch infernape? i didnt but i guess i'll lost even against things like ferrothorn or heatran, infernape already have a shitty base atk so a 40 base power move doesnt look like the best option for me :/

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Well taunt helps you beat Ferrothorn as Gyro Ball and Power Whip wont ko, and Heatran can be nailed with an Endeavor after it has Earth Power you, but anyway while looking at your ability's Blaze realy doesn't benefit this set at all, so maby Overheat there ? I know you get walled by Heatran flat out, but that is what we have teammates for right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)