The Next Best Thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coolstorybrobat wins this installment! The next suspect is Tangrowth!

Leaderboard and OP have been updated.

Well, here we have a fun little set.

inb4 moar Hentai (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Brave / Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rock Slide / HP fire / Power Whip
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off / Rock Slide
- Earthquake

A very simple Mixed offensive A-vest Tangrowth.

Moves: Leaf Storm does massive damage to everything not resisting it, and destroys every Bulky water in the tier. Rock Slide hits the trublesome Honchkrow and Crobat, it also does nice damage to Darm/Tini on the switch. HP fire helps it get through other grass types, Doublade aswell as it KOs Forretress and the odd Durant. Power whip allows you to beat CroCune 1v1 and gives you a nice STAB against Special walls. It also holds gives you a good STAB move to use after Leaf storm drops. Knock off is there because of knock off. It also cripples pokemon relying on their Item suck as Doublade, Dusclops and Metagross. EQ completes the set and allows Tangrowth to beat or severly cripple common switchins (on the switch in) such as Doom, Darm and Nidoqueen.

Ability/Nature: Regenerator gives you passive recovery and give you good survivability. Quiet/Brave nature is used like you dont sacrifice any bulk or power, and helps you in the case of Trick room.

EV/IVs: 252/252 offenses takes Tangrowths attacking power to the absolute max, and helps with OHKO/2HKOing multiple switchins. Minimun IVs in speed you can outslow a lot of pokemon in trick room.

Calcs:
252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 494-584 (117.6 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 246-291 (68.3 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 92-110 (28.5 - 34.1%) -- 1.7% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Doublade: 204-242 (63.3 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 416-492 (161.2 - 190.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 322-380 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 200-236 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Houndoom: 346-408 (118.4 - 139.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Stats dont change first round)

252+ Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Honchkrow: 252-298 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 180-214 (48.1 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 226-266 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 336-396 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

[Hide/]

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ahh, time for this tightly tangled-up sonofabitch to shine :D

Anyways, I think I might have mentioned this set at least twice out of the ~35 other posts I have made during this lifetime, buuuut here it goes again.
Yellow Cheese, you almost stole the set I'm about to post, buuuuut not quite! :)

TANGLED CLUSTERFUCK @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 SpA
Nature: Quiet
-Leaf Storm
-Focus Blast
-Knock Off
-Sludge Bomb/Power Whip

Tangrowth is usually known for being tanky with its 100/125/50 defenses whether it'd be a physical or a mixed one with Assault Vest, but this set instead utilizes its 100/110 Offensive stats, which is really neat for a defensive tank. It can effectively utilize a Life Orb, as Regenerator can patch up the Life Orb recoil.
Leaf Storm is Tangrowth's go-to move as it severely dents anything that doesn't resist it, Focus Blast is a great coverage move that hits Steels + Hydreigon on the switch, Knock Off does what Knock Off does best, while still doing relevant damage, and Sludge Bomb hits some other fellow Grass-types and Florges for super-effective damage. Power Whip, however, can be used over Sludge Bomb as it is a strong Physical STAB that is still capable of cleanly 2HKOing the bulky waters and any Florges that don't run Defense investment.

Proof of 2HKOs (all after Leftover recovery):
4 Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 221-265 (54.7 - 65.5%)
4 Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 229-273 (58.1 - 69.2%)
4 Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 231-273 (64.1 - 75.8%)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's one to write home about:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish / Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Knock Off / Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder / Protect

Trapper Tangrowth, bruh bruh. Basically, it still functions as your extremely annoying mofo physical wall (have a bulky water like Slowbro or something to eat those Flare Blitzes and Brave Bats that are directed at it) but it doubles by being able to pretty much ruin most of your opponent's Pokemon, namely their defensive Pokemon. Throughout the match, thanks to Regenerator, Tangrowth finds countless opportunities to come in and switch out, functioning as a pivot. Between those turns, you can annoy the opponent with Knock Off to remove whatever items their non-Mega Pokemon are holding, use Leech Seed to allow whatever your next switch-in is to get a free turn of recovery while the opponent takes a bit of damage, or you can even put something to sleep.

Basically the idea of this set is once you're able to trap something with Infestation, you can start doing all sorts of rude, evil, and torturous things to it with Knock Off (Giga Drain works if you wanna just kill waters), Leech Seed, and Sleep Powder. Protect can be useful for scouting the opponent here or there, but after you get Infestation + Leech Seed off, you're gonna be sapping a lot of HP from them constantly. Of course, it's arguable that the opponent can just send in an unfavorable mon for you to trap with Infestation, something that could force you out. And while that is true, you're able to still keep Tangrowth from being dead weight by using its moves to assist your team in whatever way possible until the opportunity arises in which something can be successfully trapped and abused until it's finished off, leaving a little gap in the opponent's team.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Fire

So this thing learns Swords Dance. What even is that?

This is a wallbreaker set with standard stab, eq for coverage on like arcanine and aggron, and knock off because of how spammable that move is in every metagame. You can also run hp fire if you really hate Forretress, but then the nature should be brave or lonely. The point is to use tangrowth's great bulk to set up SDs on some walls before nailing them with appropriate coverage. Physical grass stab is pretty good in this meta what with all the bulky waters and hippowdon being the tier's main physical walls. Regenerator is a dumb ability that lets you set up SDs multiple times in a match and lets tangrowth stick around for a while.

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs <---- Life Orb is for pussy bitches who can't predict
EVs: 252 SAtk / 88 Spd / 168 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb

Time to inject some manliness into this Tangrowth Discussion. Specs mufucking Tangrowth up in here. This man sitting in with 110 SpA, a Modest nature and 140 STAB move, you better be ready for some hurting. Basically, what Tangrowth does is come in on all them Bulky Waters we all know and hate and clicks Leaf Storm, essentially saying Cya later to anything that a) doesn't resist or b) isn't some fat special wall like Florges. The speed evs allow Tangrowth to outspeed uninvested base 60s like Swampert and everything below that. Tangrowth doesn't really need to outspeed much cause generally it will be coming in on weaker physical hits, tanking them and returning with a move that's gonna sting a lil bit. I pretty much chose SpecsGrowth cause i wanted to calc some shit and see how much damage Tangrowth could do.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 368-434 (91 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Victini: 154-182 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 232-274 (68 - 80.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 190-225 (52.7 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darmanitan: 249-294 (70.9 - 83.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Nidoqueen: 354-417 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 324-382 (97.8 - 115.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 169-199 (52 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 223-264 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heracross: 161-190 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The manliness has been confirmed. Use Specs Tangrowth, donk some things with Leaf Storm, then laugh as physical attackers still can't even KO it :]]

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

Tangrowth@Quick Claw
Quiet/Brave
EVs:252 Att / 252 SpA / 4 HP
-Sleep Powder
-Leaf Storm
-Earthquake
-Ancient Power

i don't like any of these sets so far so i ned to submit my own. i bet this will destroy darm leads a fifth of the time and mienshao planning to run away. that's about it really

LOL I BET U THINK I'M SHIT

Last edited:
Mixedgrowth.

Tangrowth@Life Orb
Nature:Naive
EVs:200 Att / 76 SpA / 232 HP
-Power Whip
-Earthquake
-HP Fire
-Rock Slide

With base 100 attack and base 110 Sp.attack Tangrowth has the ability to hit a large variety of things fairly hard from both sides of the spectrum, the set is fairly self explanatory but i thought I'd post it up on here anyway and with rock slide/hp fire it can catch a lot of fortress and fliers off guard which Tangrowth usually can not deal with at all and are a thorn in it's side.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Sunny Day
-Power Whip
-Knock Off
-Earthquake

Physical Sunny Day Tangrowth outspeeds stuff even with an Adamant nature less a scarf which is a major plus in and of itself. With Stealth Rock, Tangrowth messes with common answers like Florges and Victini. Scarf Fires and Heracross messes with this set which sucks but this set is fun to use and can also set up sunny day for teammates with its good bulk even with no investment.

252+ Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 224 Def Florges: 242-286 (67.2 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Snorlax: 305-360 (58.2 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 260-307 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
i think my set is the best still because tangrowth is otherwise really ass and not useful (can't even counter crawdaunt that's too bad) so you might as well go for pure luck with it. lets be real people sd tangrowth isn't going to sweep anyone except people who have really shitty stall teams MAYBE because people are always going to wack it with victini or a draco meteor or an ice beam or something. specs is fine and all but it's not really going to get "surprise kos" because its not as if i was going to keep my milotic in on your tangrowth anyways.

on the other hand my fabulous quick claw will get random kos on darm 20% of the time as they will almost certainly uturn or flare blitz. it is not limited purely to that you might be able to for instance randomly stop a np azelf from sweeping you.

sure i've never actually used these sets and i don't plan to because i am vain and care way too much about my ranking to bother but apparently we don't need to and what i'm saying sounds pretty good to me still

Lost Soul- I actually tried it out and it works.

I really wanted to vote for Qwilphish, but Tangrowth is just a tad to slow for sun sweeper imo :/

I usually don't vote cause I don't think applicants should since there's obviously going to be bias for people not to vote for the competitors of themselves that have more votes but whatever breaking the trend. So my vote goes to;

HILARIOUS

This man fucking knows, luck >>>>> skill so if you're gonna use a shit mon why not get ridiculous hax with it. Strong fkn set, vote for this man please

also uh can we use mons that actually have "untapped potential" like tini or hydrei for this project

i understand that they're incredibly standard but at the same time i dont know if we should be discussing mons that normally have like only 1 niche in the meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)