Other The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop ruining Dr Ciel project.. >:[

(both sides)

My vote goes to CBB
A good mixed set between bulk/utility checking top threats like Charizard-Y, Landorus-I or Aegislash, ES against weak threats after some damage like Greninja. Only problem that I see is that is hard to fit, just for balance teams (BO at best). Deadweight vs stall and ho tho

Raiza set needs more Iron Tail to hit Clefable (staple on stall teams) and to hit neutral against Azumarill (BD specially is a pain if you decides not using Iron Tail), still this set loses 1vs1 against Mega-Venusaur, Hippo SpD, Chansey, Suicune, Cresselia.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn I knew this was gonna become a popularity contest between who has enough friends/fans to vote for them... I guess new users who don't have many posts and aren't really popular won't hope to have their set win, eh ?

Anyways, I vote for Darnell.
Someone actually voted for me??? Wut? XD Thanks. This is a clear war between CBB and Raiza though, maybe Doughboy as well :] Good luck to them!

My vote IMO, goes to Doughboy.
Even though that MixNite is rarely seen in the meta, it still can be viable for Offensive Teams.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the set is also viable for Trick Room Teams.

Last edited:
Okay. This got a bit messy. This doesn't need to be taken as seriously as people are making it out to be. Like Masterclass said, there is no need to link to all your friends to vote for you just for the sake of winning as if it really mattered in the long run. Due to this I'm placing a post threshold. You must have at least 40 posts to be eligible to vote for a set. Additionally, you need to include reasons why you are voting the way you are (see Gr8astard's post) to avoid mindless bandwagon. This won't take effect this round but the following rounds will enforce this.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'm voting for CBB. I used it in smogtour today and it was very successful against offense as its perfect combination of bulk and power made it so that the opponent simply had to lose something to it, while mixnite is neat it is easily walled and doesnt perform very well against offense due to lack of bulk or healing, so it doesnt excel at anything.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
voting for CBB. This set is incredibly effective in the current meta as it can come in so many huge hitting threats without worries and proceed to wreck shit up. Every time it comes in on Mega Zard Y or Lando-I or Aegislash its such a great momentum swing and puts the opponent at a disadvantage.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
The winner for this week is CrashinBoomang! His set will be edited into the OP as soon as possible, while we discuss the next Pokémon, which is.............

Deoxys-S!​

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
ALright, I came up with a cute one.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Taunt + SR deo-s lead with a.. twist. CounterCoatSash. Many players will try and lead with attackers like Aegis, or Azumarill or whatever to try and counterlead deo by clicking shadow / Knock Off and then finishing with Priority. Mirror coat owns Aegis, who is going to click Shadow Ball basically everytime, as if you switch it will do way more than Shadow Sneak. Then, if the opponent has no priority and you got rocks + a kill, and they only got a kill. Taunt to prevent being set up bait is nice too. If the opponent guesses that youre offensive deo and uses Sucker Punch with their Bisharp/Mawile, counter still lets Sucker Punch work, so you wont be punished for it.

Meth (Deoxys-Speed) @ Light Clay
EVs: 232 HP / 236 SAtk / 40 Speed
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psycho Boost

With 40 Speed, Deo-S has a very good speed of 406 (Out speeding Timid Max Speed Mega Manectric) and the rest of the EVs are distributed between HP and Special Attack. I use it as a lead to set up Screens and Stealth Rock to lure a defogger in. Pretty simple, if you face a physical attacker you set up Reflect if you face a special attacker set up a Light Screen, then SR,and then you set up the other kind of Screen you didn't set up first. You can sometimes hit with Psycho Boost and then GTFO (Depends on the Pokemon you're facing) or just leave after setting up the screens and the rock. Deo-S' Psycho Boost is capable of doing decent damage as it ohko's most fighting types except for Conkldurr. After that, whenever you see a safe chance to switch in, set up the screens again and leave. Or you can keep it for late game to revenge kill weakened Pokemons. I like to have a Pokemon with Wish in the team, in order to heal Deo-S up and allow him to set more screens.

Obviously, Bisharp is a great teammate to have.

232 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 308-366 (84.6 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

232 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 342-404 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 160-190 (53.6 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(160, 163, 165, 166, 169, 171, 172, 174, 177, 178, 180, 181, 184, 186, 187, 190)

232 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Manectric: 217-256 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 458-542 (150.6 - 178.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ooh, Deoxys-Speed. I love using him. I have a set that is one of my all time favorite.

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now most people would use Deoxys-S as a potential lead with Spikes, Light Screens, and even rain dance (in case is real.) However, this one here I'm using is use a late-game cleaner and special attacker. With a decent special attack base of 95, and killer speed base of 180, nothing on the opposing side is safe from this thing. Psycho Boost is Deoxys-S staple and STAB move on the set, being able to do a ton of damage of anything that resist or takes neutral damage too. Superpower is to mainly check mostly steel, rock, and dark types such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Greninja, and Excadrill. Ice Beam is another move to check certain pokemon in which case is Dragon and Ground types such as Dragonite, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Landours-T. Last, Hidden Power [Fire] is one of the best covering moves on this to mainly give a surprise to Scizor, seeing how it can also check Deoxys-S.

As for the EVs, 16 Atk just to hit hard enough, 252 Max Stk is invested seeing how it's obviously a special sweeper with one physical attacking move, and lastly 240 Spd is invested to basically be enough to outspeed any kind of pokemon out there, unless you're trying to win a speed tie with Greninja. Overall, I believe that this set is particular is devastating and basically a HUGE threat to any kind of team out there. If you're team is struggling with Assault Vest Conkeldurr or Mega Venusaur, then Deoxys-S with Life Orb/ 4 Attacks is your best bet to handle it.

A replay to see Deoxys-S cleaning up in a match on my alt.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

This thing is really broken! Anyone use it as a setter or with a cleaner set but this set is extremely dangerous. After a simple boost (and boosting is quite simple for him, surprise factor) Deo-S can break wholes teams. Hazardz are obviosly a great support to its sweep. Most of this calcs would be better simply adding SR damage (Mandibuzz for example, Aegislash with a Layer of Spikes, Rotom-w is a sure Ohko after SR..). The coverage is amazing and hit generally everything and the speed. Works are useless, see at the damages.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 281-333 (86.7 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 320-377 (105.9 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 398-469 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 285-335 (93.7 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 313-370 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 363-426 (89.8 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 368-434 (123.4 - 145.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 213-251 (76.6 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 413-489 (106.9 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 530-624 (150.5 - 177.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 403-474 (120.6 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 313-369 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ooh, Deoxys-Speed. I love using him. I have a set that is one of my all time favorite.

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now most people would use Deoxys-S as a potential lead with Spikes, Light Screens, and even rain dance (in case is real.) However, this one here I'm using is use a late-game cleaner and special attacker. With a decent special attack base of 95, and killer speed base of 180, nothing on the opposing side is safe from this thing. Psycho Boost is Deoxys-S staple and STAB move on the set, being able to do a ton of damage of anything that resist or takes neutral damage too. Superpower is to mainly check mostly steel, rock, and dark types such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Greninja, and Excadrill. Ice Beam is another move to check certain pokemon in which case is Dragon and Ground types such as Dragonite, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Landours-T. Last, Hidden Power [Fire] is one of the best covering moves on this to mainly give a surprise to Scizor, seeing how it can also check Deoxys-S.

As for the EVs, 16 Atk just to hit hard enough, 252 Max Stk is invested seeing how it's obviously a special sweeper with one physical attacking move, and lastly 240 Spd is invested to basically be enough to outspeed any kind of pokemon out there, unless you're trying to win a speed tie with Greninja. Overall, I believe that this set is particular is devastating and basically a HUGE threat to any kind of team out there. If you're team is struggling with Assault Vest Conkeldurr or Mega Venusaur, then Deoxys-S with Life Orb/ 4 Attacks is your best bet to handle it.

A replay to see Deoxys-S cleaning up in a match on my alt.
Umm... This set isn't anything new or different at all. It's practically the standard Deo-S set, what with it being the first set on its analysis and Life Orb being its most popular item last month.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 144 SAtk / 252 Spd / 112 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Substitute is a reasonable option on offensive Deoxys-s. I originally used it on a team that had difficulties with Bisharp as I could set up the sub on sucker punch. With Bisharp at no 5 last month in 1760 it definitely comes in handy to patch up a hole and turn an unwinnable match up around. It is also quite nice on Deoxys-s due to the stat dropping nature of its moves, more often than not vs offense Deoxys-s is neutered by clever switching to resists or appropriate saccing of fodder. This means you can get up subs on switches more often than you would think and not drop your spa attack or attack unnecessarily.

Obviously it has drawbacks, status is really never used against Deoxys-s apart from Prankster t wave and giving up the coverage can be very annoying. Therefore I would only recommend trying it if your team can't handle sucker punch.

Just quoting what i posted in the teambuilding thread. Also, this set was not made by me. I stole it from Jukain. He posted in the vr forums.
EDIT : The credit of making this set goes to Tesung. As everyone knows that he used it to great success in SPL. ;-D
Deoxys-Speed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magic Coat / Thunder Wave

Role :Support / Lead
What it does :This set aims at supporting its team by setting up Rain Dance. Stealth rock is a mandatory move on any team and is a great support move. Taunt is there for stopping opposing pokemon who want to lay hazards or set up on it. Magic Coat prevents you from being taunted by pranksters or opposing Deoxys-S who will be faster than you. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple a pokemon for the rest of the match. Superpower can be used on last slot to kill Bisharp. Just change attack IVs to 31 if you are using Superpower. It KOs even with a negative nature. Keep in mind that it does not KOs Tyranitar. Since, Deoxys-S is fast enough to outpace base 130s without any investment, EVs are dumped into defense to make it as physically bulky as possible. Damp Rock extends the duration of rain from 5 to 8 turns which is enough for powerful attackers like Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo etc to wreak entire teams. Once, you have set rain and stealth rock switch to one of your rain sweepers and wreak havok with boosted speed and atacks.
What counters it :Opposing weather inducers are the biggest counters to this set as they can change the weather just by switching and can halt your sweep. Tyranitar can also trap and kill it with pursuit. Knock Off users can also prove to be difficult to deal with as it cuts the number of turns for which rain will be present to 5. Aegislsh can prevent you from setting both stealth rock and rain.
Good Teammates :Any pokemon which benefits from rain. Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo etc. become very dabgerous sweepers under rain due to swift swim doubling their speed and rain boosting there main STAB move. Choice Specs Keldeo is a very good partner and is one of the most dangerous wallbreakers under rain or and it also deals with opposing weather inducers very well. Politoed is almost mandatory on a rain team. Thundurus and Tornadus get 100% accurate Thunder and Hurricane respectively in rain and can also act as good backup rain dancers with prankster.

Last edited:
Hey I've used a nasty plot deo-speed but it can't sweep entire teams due to talonflame's priority brave bird. So I don't think it is very viable.
Talonflame should be removed before trying to sweep with it then. Band-Tyranitar would serve as a great teammate for np deoxys-s as deoxys-s serves as a great brave bird lure. Tyranitar can then OHKO Talonflame with pursuit.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch (Pursuit on switch) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 292-345 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

NP deoxys-s still has to deal with a lot of other priority (Azuramil, Aegislash, Bisharp, Scizor, CB Dragonite), which makes it difficult to pull of a clean sweep though.

Snou

I think that also others frail mons are used without problems. Obv, if u see a Talonflame use NPlot is useless,on the contrary when talonflame die...

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No frail Pokemon should be setting up with the hope to sweep without a +2 or higher priority when you see a Talonflame on the other team before it has been taken out or entry hazards on the opposing side.

Snou

False. No one think "Oh, that deo-s will be plot" so boosting on switch in is simple. Also Pinsir is wrecked from a Talonflame's bbird but i think that Pinsir is used... or not?
And obviously if u see talonflame, you boost on pinsir is useless.

Darnell

Respected.
Yeah, what I'm saying is not directed at you SnowCristal!
Hey I've used a nasty plot deo-speed but it can't sweep entire teams due to talonflame's priority brave bird. So I don't think it is very viable.
I'm saying that this wasn't a justified reason to not use the set that you said simply because of Talonflame.

Snou

Yeah, what I'm saying is not directed at you SnowCristal!

I'm saying that this wasn't a justified reason to not use the set that you said simply because of Talonflame.
Y, sorry Darnell, i was wrong.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Personally I like using special defense on the rain set as a lot of physical threats (garchomp, landorus t, excadrill, bisharp to an extent) don't want to bother attacking deo for fear of a coverage move such as ice beam or superpower. Bisharp is an exception but they have to be wary of superpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)