The Next Best Thing... (on hiatus)

Approved by Level 51, OP (mostly) stolen from Mazz, Art by Tyranitards

The Next Best Thing...

What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the Doubles environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, Doubles included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every Doubles Pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the Doubles community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different Doubles Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. If an analysis isn't currently being written, please use common sense when making a nomination. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current Doubles metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next Pokemon specimen. If your sets continually win, you could potentially win yourself a Community Contributor Badge nomination.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Virizion does nothing to show any untapped potential Virizion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Virizion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Iron Head over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular Pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

This Week's Test Subject:

Currently none :[

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rain Dance

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 0 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- King's Shield

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Memento
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Air Slash
- Follow Me

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Heatran @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Tailwind
- Protect

Klefki @ Occa Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 148 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Safeguard
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave

Jirachi @ Metal Coat
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 8 HP / 140 Def / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Ground
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Atk / 128 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Aromatisse @ Choice Specs
Ability: Healer
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 88 Def / 60 SpA / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Sunny Day

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tornadus (M) @ Sky Plate
EVs: 176 HP / 152 Def / 156 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Protect
- Torment

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 152 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Grass
- Psychic / Hiddern Power Grass

Talonflame @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 100 Def / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:
memoric is gonna win with his power herb set :]

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Bulk Up
- Wild Charge
- Brick Break

Bulk Up is the interesting move. It takes advantage of the pokemon Thundurus loves to switch in on and set up. The reason this is used over Nasty Plot is because this catches people by surprise and can also raise his defense which is nice, considering how most of what Thundurus switches in on are physical attackers, making it easier to tank their hits for your teammates. Thunder Wave lets you have a priority status move that helps Thundurus outspeed certain pokemon. EVs let you outspeed Bisharp to get a Brick Break off and Max Attack to let Thundurus deal as much damage as possible.

Last edited:
Thundurus has a lot of options, which is why I chose him for the first suspect. Though, Memoric's set will definitely be a tough contender!

Also, Set Submissions are now Open!

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
At least change the example in the OP so that it isn't SD Virzion smh.

Onto the set.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 8 SAtk / 188 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Confide
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Protect / Taunt

Standard bulky Thundurus with a twist. EVs are interchangeable but the ones given survive an Adamant MegaTar Rock Slide, outspeed Breloom and tank a bunch of special hits. With this set Thundurus can perform its usual duty if spreading paralysis whilst also providing some clutch team support with Confide which turns OHKOs into 2HKOs and saves teammates in a totally unexpected way. Whilst this set isn't suitable for every team, I'd definitely recommend that you give it a go if you can afford to drop one of Thundurus' usual options.

inb4 Defiant Thund

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thundurus @ Leftovers / Zap Plate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

NP Thundurus is pretty sweet. Pair this with something that gets it some free turns to set up (like Amoonguss) and it will wreck. At +2, Thundurus hits pretty hard and can be pretty threatening to an opposing team. Substitute is a great way to buy free setup turns and set up on weaker Pokemon such as Amoonguss, and them the attacks are there for their great coverage. Protect is an option if you don't wanna use Substitute. Timid > Modest since many base 100s are running +speed and there's also Keldeo and Terrakion to worry about, but yeah.

Another 100% viable Thundurus Set - not a troll

yohoE is suck (Thundurus) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Any check only has 37.5% chance to attack when confused and paralyzed
EV spread hits a leftys number (divisible by 16), max speed to dodge taunts from opposing thundurus, and the remaining 44 into physical defence
Thunder Wave for speed control
Leftovers to generate as many subs as possible with Leftys HP stat
Foul Play + Swagger to get big damage while making use of confusion.
Ground types that cannot be paralyzed cannot hit Thundy with ground stab, but they commonly carry Rock moves so watch out for that.

If you don't like it ban it

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play

EV spread hits a leftys number (divisible by 16), max speed to dodge taunts from opposing thundurus, and the remaining 44 into physical defence
Ground types that cannot be paralyzed cannot hit Thundy with ground stab, but they commonly carry Rock moves so watch out for that.

Don't forget the BrightPowder.

Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Forms a great core with minimize chansey, they eliminate each others checks and counters very nicely. I like this mon, good set!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most viable Thundurus-I set aside from what's put up on site would either be Audiosurfer's Nasty Plot set or any physical based Defiant set with Sky Drop.

Thundurus @ Expert Belt
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive nature
- Sky Drop
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off / Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower

This is a more mixed Thundurus-I set that plays on Thundurus's wide range of coverage and high mixed attacking stats. Sky Drop is really what makes this set viable over other typical offensive Thundurus; the ability to stun an opponent of choice for one move is extremely useful to provide offensive support for partners and generate temporary advantageous matchups. The rest of the set is basically just offensive attacking options. Thunderbolt is the STAB attack of choice; typically Defiant sets run Wild Charge but Intimidate is on the decline these days and Wild Charge's recoil is terrible (plus, TBolt hits harder and can paralyze.) Knock Off / Hidden Power Ice are for coverage; one hurts defense, one hurts glass cannons like Skymon / Dragons. Finally, superpower hits Steel-types while also not intruding on Thundurus's offensive capabilities as it would on a physical set.

Another viable set would be Rain Dance support w/ Thunder, something like Rain Dance / Thunder / Protect / (Taunt / Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Wave). Priority Rain Dance + powerful Thunder paralysis is very useful for dedicated rain :)

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
speaking of rain dance thundy

there are two sets you can run. Hyper offensive rain dance and bulky rain dance. imma post ho because i think it is better

main perk of rain dance thundy is that it is surprise mode. enemy wants their weather. tell em no.
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder/ (Thunderbolt if you are a pussy)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rain Dance

have you ever wanted to have your poli out first turn but you can't because they have a char-y waiting in the wings to mega evolve and solar beam you? wait no longer because rain dance thundy exists!
turn order:
switch in, abilities like drizzle activate (politoed weak sauce)
mega-evolve, mega abilities like drought activate (char-y)
prankster rain dance, it's rainy (thundy godmode)

the point is that you can set up rain regardless of what char does. it beats char-y, a check to rain. and also thundy is a better pokemon than politoed :]. usually you will have both though because two setters is better than one and thundy is only a one time setter.
set is p standard otherwise.
works well with bog rain (ludicolo, politoed, scizor)
if you know they are going to lead something like char-y + venu you can lead thundy + something to fuck up venu because it won't have its chlorophyll.

bulky evs:
dynamo (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
lives kanga return. don't worry about char-y heat wave bc you are in rain. rest into spatk. sitrus is mandatory for survival from kanga. ivs assume hp ice and thus you run 4 extra def evs. 8 speed because im a creepy motherfucker

other set: mono attacking charge thundy if real.
defiant Memoric

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
finally just ninjaed, but I've used this Thundy

Thundurus (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 20 Spd / 96 SDef / 52 SAtk / 212 HP / 128 Def
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bulky EVs were stolen from a place I don't remember but they're on site somewhere. Anyway, imo if you're going RD Thundy you really should go Damp Rock, but that's just me.

Tried and tested on the reliable PS!, i bring to you: aids. (not as bad as kylecoles thundy tho)

aids (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Heal Block
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Standard set but stops stirus from healing hp. Pair with m kanga and pokes die as they would rely on sitrus to survive. You literally get aids if you get heal blocked. Rotom dies to lots now, other (clean) thundys die to lots now. It is painful. Yes i stole finally spread, but i always use it for my thundys now, so its more giving credit to him

EDIT: silly me not looking at what im c/p'ing. This is the spread i always use, so im giving finally credit for this

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Tried and tested on the reliable PS!, i bring to you: aids. (not as bad as kylecoles thundy tho)

aids (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heal Block
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Standard set but stops stirus from healing hp. Pair with m kanga and pokes die as they would rely on sitrus to survive. You literally get aids if you get heal blocked. Rotom dies to lots now, other (clean) thundys die to lots now. It is painful. Yes i stole finally spread, but i always use it for my thundys now, so its more giving credit to him
on non rain teams: bulky thundy uses 124 spdef and calm nature to make sure char y heat wave is a 3hko with sitrus. no spatk :]

Alright, voting is now Open!

(Just a side note but sorry KyleCole, I'm not allowing voting for your set because it's a gimmick haha :])

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks like he's finally going to win something.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
voting finally

Thundurus is a very subpar Swagger Play abuser, easily outclassed by Pokemon such as Liepard. Also, wtf is that spread man, you should invest in bulk instead of Speed because you're abusing Prankster anyway, and Thunder Wave makes it unnecessary to run Speed investment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)