Other The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Approved by alexwolf. Shamelessly stolen from the UU version
The Next Best Thing...

What is this?:
I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the OU environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, OU included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every OU pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the OU community.

The Process:
Each week, I will choose a different OU Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiousity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competivitely viable set to utilize in the current OU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next pokemon specimen. If your set wins, it will also contribute to the "points" also obtained from winning Research Week, potentially winning yourself a Community Contributor Badge nomination.

What are we looking for?:
Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Virizion does nothing to show any untapped potential Virizion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Virizion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Iron Head over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

Update: Every set that is submitted must be legal (You can check move legality / illegality on PS) & must be able to realistically replace the standard set.

The next test subject is the classic OU Dragon, Dragonite!

Previous Week Archive:

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Roost

Dragonite's combination of awesome bulk, movepool, ability as well as a very valuable typing make it a great pivot for offensive teams. By virtue of its Dragon/Flying typing, it easily takes most of the attacks Pokemon such as Landorus, Aegislash, Mega Charizard Y and Specs Keldeo (although Icy Wind is semi-common), all four powerful foes that give most offensive teams a hard time switching in, can launch and threatens them greatly in return. It also handles Thundurus-I rather well as 1 on 1. Even with the relatively small attack investment, Dragonite easily 2HKOs Leftovers Thundurus-I before it can do the same back with Hidden Power Ice, while Life Orb Thundurus-I takes enough recoil damage to be 2HKO'd by Dragon Claw + Extremespeed. Dragon Claw + Extremespeed also 2HKOs Deoxys-S. Earthquake handles foes such as Heatran and Aegislash who would otherwise wall you with ease and does more damage to Mega Tyranitar, although it will still set up on you quite easily.

EVs allow you to survive 2 Sludge Waves from Landorus after Stealth Rock (well, 99% of the time, when I realized that I couldn't get a spread that guaranteed survival without missing out on the jump point at 64 attack EVS I just figured I'd take that; 220 HP/228 SDef always survives two), which is about the strongest common non super-effective attack you will be switching into. You can put more EVs into attack if you feel thats needed or think you can guarantee that SR is off for most of the battle, and you can even run other moves such as Iron Tail or even special attacks on this guy. That's the great thing about bulky Dragonite: you can mix and match moves and EVs as you see fit and handle whatever your team has problems with. That also makes it radically different from the Parashuffler/Defensive SubTail Dragonite which tried to shuffle/paralyze/rack up hazard damage. This Dragonite uses his naturally high attack and good bulk to be a bulky offensive threat that some Pokemon can't really break through.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

This thing is really broken! Anyone use it as a setter or with a cleaner set but this set is extremely dangerous. After a simple boost (and boosting is quite simple for him, surprise factor) Deo-S can break wholes teams. Hazardz are obviosly a great support to its sweep. Most of this calcs would be better simply adding SR damage (Mandibuzz for example, Aegislash with a Layer of Spikes, Rotom-w is a sure Ohko after SR..). The coverage is amazing and hit generally everything and the speed. Works are useless, see at the damages.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 281-333 (86.7 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 320-377 (105.9 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 398-469 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 285-335 (93.7 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 313-370 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 363-426 (89.8 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 368-434 (123.4 - 145.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 213-251 (76.6 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 413-489 (106.9 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 530-624 (150.5 - 177.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 403-474 (120.6 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 313-369 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Infestation
- Substitute/Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
Best set ever. Wow+Infestation is amazing. Everything is slower can be easely destroyed by thiz Gengar. With taunt is a fantastic stallbreaker, Chansey for example is trapped, taunted and only can use seimsic toss(Unaffected). Other victims are TTar, Conkeldurr,Megavenusaur, Ferrothorn, Mawile, Landorus-T, Clefable and others. The spread is bulky to tank something and to defend the sub from Giga Drains, Sludge Bombs. With Taunt Gengar can also prevents the Hazardz setting forcing the switch... I really like it and i think that it is amazing!
Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
I don't think I've ever seen this used before, but it could be quite effective on paper. Trap something non-threatening, Toxic it, set up a Sub, and proceed to Toxic stall the opposing Pokemon to oblivion. Steels, clerics, and certain Fairies will give this set issues, but that's what the remaining 5 team slots are for. EVs and nature maximize its average physical defense.
Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit / Crunch
- Stone Edge

Basically I use this when paired with Sand Rush Excadrill, it lures in and KOes Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory which is really useful. It outspeeds defensive / bulky Landorus-T with these EVs and OHKOes Skarmory with Fire Blast and Landorus-T with Ice Beam. Hippowdon is 2HKOed (or it switches out but it is in KO range for Excadrill). You can also pair it with other things that like these walls gone, something like Garchomp also appreciates this a partner, and stuff like that. As a bonus, it can also Pursuit trap Lati@s if you want.

252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 312-367 (93.4 - 109.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 461-542 (120.9 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 247-293 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Actually looking at Ash Borer's set it is somewhat similar, though I think they play very differently.

Last edited:
S.S. Manaphy (Swag Swap)

Manaphy @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Swagger
Heart Swap
Waterfall
Knock Off/Bounce

While it is hard to make a viable set without the use of tail glow, Manaphys best asset, I feel this set is more than gimmicky. (even though I dislike Swagger as a move). This set is pretty self explanatory. The idea is to swagger an opposing switch in then take the Attack boost for yourself. Knock off and Waterfall have most coverage even though Manaphy has a fairly shallow move pool limiting your options anyways.

Phazer Support

Dnite Leftovers
Multiscale
Calm
252 HP/ 252 SpDef / 4 Def

Roar
Roost
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

With Multi Scale Roost and roar with bolt beam coverage you basically Roar and heal off damage while exposing them to the many hazards you set up previously with Deoxys/smeargle. While there are other better options Dnite has a good type coverage.

Last edited:
Very difficult to make a next best thing set for dragonite, most BW2OU sets are still really strong and weakness policy is so common it hardly qualifies as 'new'.

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Sp.def mixed Dragonite isn't that bad, resisting most common special attacks (fire water and grass, while being neutral to electric). Inner Focus to hardcounter swagger, but multiscale is preferred because you can swap dragonite in easier.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Light Screen
Support Dragonite. Dragonite can run a variety of support moves, and is quite difficult to kill due to Multiscale. Dragonite brings Roost and Heal Bell for obvious reasons. Dragon Tail is used to phaze dangerous enemies (potentially stopping sweeps), and avoids Dragonite becoming Taunt bait. Finally, Light Screen can troll the living shit out of any special attackers that come in on Dragonite.
...To be fair, this is a pretty gimmicky set. Still, could be a neat, nasty surprise.

Well, I was about to write up a Manaphy set until you changed to Dragonite.

Back in BW when everyone and their brother ran rain, I had a rain attacker Dragonite. Now, while in most cases, special D-nite sets are outclassed by physical ones, he's the only relevant thing that gets both Thunder and Hurricane, with the added bonus of STAB on the latter. I see two possibilities here: manual rain and Politoed as a teammate. However, since Politoed is rare in OU these days, D-nite will most likely have to take matters into his own hands, so that is the set I will focus on.

Dragonite @ Damp Rock/Life Orb/Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest/Timid Nature
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Hurricane
-Roost/Surf/Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam

First three moves are self explanatory. LO can be used for power, while DR makes rain last longer, and WP is WP. The fourth slot depends on preference. Roost can be used for recovery and reactivating Multiscale in a pinch, D-pulse is for another STAB, Surf gets pseudo-STAB in the rain, and Ice Beam has great coverage with Thunder.

If you want, you can run a bulky spread, like 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def with Modest, in which case you should run Lefties over LO and more likely prefer Roost. WP is an option on either set.

Okay, calcs time.
Talonflame:
252+ SpA Dragonite Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 298-352 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 222-262 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 222-262 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Dragonite Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 244-288 (81.8 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

TL;DR D-nite wins but takes a beating unless Multiscale is active. Surf will kill it after recoil even outside of rain, so it can work in neutral weather if you're concerned about accuracy.
Ferrothorn:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 157-187 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO
But Ferro can't do anything back other than T-wave or Leech Seed, so you usually win.
Mega Venusaur:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 367-432 (100.8 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 154-183 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

Similar to Ferrothorn. Sludge Bomb can hurt in the event of a miss or setup turn, though.
Rotom-W:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Rain: 93-110 (28.7 - 34%) -- 1.5% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Rain: 93-110 (24 - 28.4%) -- 97.1% chance to 4HKO

Kind of a coin flip here. Multiscale gives you a slight edge, though, as does Hydro Miss. Or it could just Volt Switch out. Be careful of Will-o-Wisp, as it gives Rotom a better chance of winning.

Long story short, he can break down some of the common defensive mons in OU, plus beat Talonflame. I wouldn't suggest sweeping, or trying to kill the blobs. But it can work, and also annoy Y-zard by cancelling its sun.
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Light Screen
Support Dragonite. Dragonite can run a variety of support moves, and is quite difficult to kill due to Multiscale. Dragonite brings Roost and Heal Bell for obvious reasons. Dragon Tail is used to phaze dangerous enemies (potentially stopping sweeps), and avoids Dragonite becoming Taunt bait. Finally, Light Screen can troll the living shit out of any special attackers that come in on Dragonite.
...To be fair, this is a pretty gimmicky set. Still, could be a neat, nasty surprise.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Heal Bell is illegal with Multiscale, as it's a move from XD. Unless it gets it as an egg move, and I know it can't learn it from the tutors.

Last edited:
Very difficult to make a next best thing set for dragonite, most BW2OU sets are still really strong and weakness policy is so common it hardly qualifies as 'new'.

@ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Sp.def mixed Dragonite isn't that bad, resisting most common special attacks (fire water and grass, while being neutral to electric). Inner Focus to hardcounter swagger, but multiscale is preferred because you can swap dragonite in easier.
how does inner focus counter swagger? Like the idea of this thread but I'm absolutely shit at teambuilding so I'll probably just vote

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Mixed Dragonite is still a very viable and potent threat to balanced teams. Draco Meteor smashes through popular bulky Ground types such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon. Draco Meteor is Dragonite's main STAB and is pretty strong with a Life Orb backing it. Fire Blast roasts most steel-types that find themselves switching in on an expected DDnite. Skarmory and Mega-Mawile are OHKO'ed after SR and Aegislash is straight up 2HKO'ed by Fire Blast. Superpower targets Sp. Def walls and tanks; particularly Tyranitar, Chansey, and Heatran. Tyranitar is OHKO'ed by Superpower and Heatran / Chansey are 2HKO'ed. The last slot is used for Extreme Speed, an incredibly valuable tool in this metagame. The lack of investment in attack is made up for with the additional power from Life Orb. Extreme Speed from mixed Dragonite is powerful enough to potentially 2HKO Thundurus-I.

Mixed Dragonite is great vs balance teams because they can not rely upon small defensive cores and pivots to stop it. In addition to smacking around their defensive cores, Dragonite can revenge kill the sweepers balanced teams have with a boosted Extreme Speed. Below I have some EV'ing benchmarks for it to help you understand the EV spread I have.

Benchmarks:
243 Special Attack to 2HKO Landorus-T after SR (28 spa ev's neutral nature)

278 Special Attack to 2HKO Landorus-T (168 spa ev's neutral nature)

280 Special Attack to 2HKO Hippowdon (176 spa ev's neutral nature)

315 Special Attak to OHKO Mawile with Fire Blast (204 SpA ev's positive nature)

357 Attack to OHKO 0 hp / 4 def Talonflame after SR

To some people above: if you recognize the set you came up with as a gimmick, why are you even posting it. It isn't going to benefit anyone here and the OP clearly says that we should try to stray away from gimmicky strategies.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Spd / 116 SDef
Careful Nature
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

When i saw that Dragonite could learn tailwind, i immediately thought of this. The EVs are to outspeed 160 speed Heatran and Earthquake it. Tailwing is a gimmicky move, but its basically an Agility for the entire team, and with Dragonite's great bulk, he can set it up many times throughout the match.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Basically reposting my Bulky Dragonite I suggested for the Dragonite Analysis

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Roost

Dragonite's combination of awesome bulk, movepool, ability as well as a very valuable typing make it a great pivot for offensive teams. By virtue of its Dragon/Flying typing, it easily takes most of the attacks Pokemon such as Landorus, Aegislash, Mega Charizard Y and Specs Keldeo (although Icy Wind is semi-common), all four powerful foes that give most offensive teams a hard time switching in, can launch and threatens them greatly in return. It also handles Thundurus-I rather well as 1 on 1. Even with the relatively small attack investment, Dragonite easily 2HKOs Leftovers Thundurus-I before it can do the same back with Hidden Power Ice, while Life Orb Thundurus-I takes enough recoil damage to be 2HKO'd by Dragon Claw + Extremespeed. Dragon Claw + Extremespeed also 2HKOs Deoxys-S. Earthquake handles foes such as Heatran and Aegislash who would otherwise wall you with ease and does more damage to Mega Tyranitar, although it will still set up on you quite easily.

EVs allow you to survive 2 Sludge Waves from Landorus after Stealth Rock (well, 99% of the time, when I realized that I couldn't get a spread that guaranteed survival without missing out on the jump point at 64 attack EVS I just figured I'd take that; 220 HP/228 SDef always survives two), which is about the strongest common non super-effective attack you will be switching into. You can put more EVs into attack if you feel thats needed or think you can guarantee that SR is off for most of the battle, and you can even run other moves such as Iron Tail or even special attacks on this guy. That's the great thing about bulky Dragonite: you can mix and match moves and EVs as you see fit and handle whatever your team has problems with. That also makes it radically different from the Parashuffler/Defensive SubTail Dragonite which tried to shuffle/paralyze/rack up hazard damage. This Dragonite uses his naturally high attack and good bulk to be a bulky offensive threat that some Pokemon can't really break through.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This is just a stall Dnite set that I was messing with via suggestion for a Zard-Y counter. To secure better bulk in his main job (taking out Charizard Y), I switched to Edgequake over his stab. It doesn't work bad considering stall looks coverage first, power second. Apparently with Defog not working with Multiscale (Hey, it's difficult to throw together a stall team to test this), I shifted defog to Thunder wave mostly so Dnite could prevent non-electric and ground set-up sweepers (calm mind Lando and NP Thundy would get away from Haze anyways if they had HP ice). The slower speeds mainly function as ways for Dnite to get roosts off and ease prediction, and free turns are not to be underestimated. Switching in becomes a pain in the ass for counters not named Landorus-T due to eating Twaves reversing who has speed control.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite in Sun: 61-72 (15.8 - 18.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite in Sun: 123-144 (31.9 - 37.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 340-404 (114 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 186-220 (66.6 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 170-201 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Specs Keldeo locked into anything but icy wind obviously loses.
0 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 102-120 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 83% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 52-61 (13.5 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite: 105-123 (27.2 - 31.9%) -- 45% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 101-119 (26.2 - 30.9%) -- 5.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Dragonite: 202-238 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 368-436 (123.4 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It barely wins out vs CB Talonflame if he can get around without rocks.

0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 186-220 (62 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 102-120 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- 7.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite: 204-240 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Wins out with multiscale here, too.

This set requires good prediction, and likes to have the rocker down early. This is fine with all the Deo-S/D going around and suicide. Not only that, Talonflame is a late game cleaner so he can regain HP by then. Thundurus-i is kind of similar, coming in mid-late game to damage control. With that in mind, delaying the time to that point to get one roost off shouldn't be too difficult.

Edit: loltagfail

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Dragonite
Dragon Pokémon

Type
Dragon Flying

Abilities
Inner Focus
Multiscale (Hidden Ability)

Set

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def) / Mild Nature (+ SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

In the current OU Metagame( return of Stall teams, balanced and Charizard-Y era), this set helps you against these three typologies of team.
Draco Meteor, Dragonite's best STAB move with its 140 Base Power, hits hard bulky ground like Landorus-T,pokémon that is used many times in balanced teams, Hippowdown and Gliscor, used as teammates of Charizard-Y in popular teams and in stall teams as phsycal defensive part of it, Quagsire cant deal against a 100 base satk Draco Meteor with massive SAtk investiments.
Fire Blast completely destroys steels like Skarmory, Excadrill, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Mawile, Forretress and 2OHKOEs Aegislash.These pokémons are often used in balanced, stall and Charizard-Y based teams(ex: aegislash is used in Charizard-Y as bulky steel and Latwins trapper with pursuit)
Superpower knocks out principally Tyranitar, Heatran and Bisharp, outspeeded thanks to the investiments in speed
At last but not least theres Extreme Speed, the popular priority move, allows you to finish weaken pokémons istantly, thanks to its level 2 priority and make good damages anyway with the Lonely nature and 56 Atk investiment plus Orb.

Some Calcs
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 302-356 (79 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(302, 305, 309, 313, 316, 320, 324, 328, 331, 335, 337, 341, 344, 348, 352, 356)

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 331-390 (78.8 - 92.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

(331, 335, 339, 343, 347, 351, 355, 359, 363, 367, 370, 374, 378, 382, 386, 390)

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 320-378 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(320, 324, 328, 331, 335, 339, 343, 347, 351, 355, 359, 363, 367, 370, 374, 378)

252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 359-422 (91.1 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(359, 363, 367, 370, 376, 380, 383, 387, 391, 395, 402, 406, 409, 413, 417, 422)
---------------------------------------------------------------
56 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 426-504 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(426, 432, 437, 442, 447, 452, 458, 463, 468, 473, 478, 484, 489, 494, 499, 504)

56 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 289-341 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(289, 291, 294, 299, 302, 304, 309, 312, 315, 320, 322, 325, 330, 333, 335, 341)

56 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Superpower vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 603-712 (216.1 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(603, 608, 619, 624, 629, 640, 645, 655, 660, 665, 676, 681, 686, 697, 702, 712)
---------------------------------------------------------------
252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 348-411 (104.1 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(348, 351, 356, 361, 364, 369, 372, 377, 380, 385, 390, 393, 398, 400, 406, 411)

252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 520-614 (151.1 - 178.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(520, 525, 530, 536, 546, 551, 556, 562, 567, 572, 582, 588, 593, 598, 603, 614)

252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 369-437 (101.9 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(369, 374, 380, 382, 387, 393, 395, 400, 406, 408, 413, 419, 421, 426, 432, 437)

252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 182-216 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(182, 185, 187, 190, 190, 192, 195, 198, 200, 203, 203, 205, 208, 211, 213, 216)

252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 790-931 (223.1 - 262.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(790, 795, 806, 816, 827, 837, 842, 853, 863, 873, 884, 889, 899, 910, 920, 931)

252 SpA Life Orb Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 270-320 (88.8 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

(270, 273, 278, 281, 283, 286, 289, 294, 296, 299, 302, 307, 309, 312, 315, 320)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This is just a stall Dnite set that I was messing with via suggestion for a Zard-Y counter. To secure better bulk in his main job (taking out Charizard Y), I switched to Edgequake over his stab. It doesn't work bad considering stall looks coverage first, power second. Defog is a strange option at first given that Dnite loses it's own ability to defog, however the element of surprise saves you from defog's general aftereffects. Defiant Bisharp also can't come in so easily, given the Earthquake chance. More importantly, it isn't expected meaning Bisharp has no REASON to come in. A parashuffler might be expected, but Defog Dragonite isn't seen to be thought of.

Not to mention heatran, Tyranitar and terrakion all cannot switch in. I considered Ice beam for Landos but stone edge and HP ice are far too common to justify ice beam as all you could really do is predict a switch. Edgequake was just better overall since dragon stab is worthless if you're too slow to hit what you want for SE. Edgequake gets better SE damage, taking Thundurus-i on well enough, too.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite in Sun: 61-72 (15.8 - 18.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite in Sun: 123-144 (31.9 - 37.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 340-404 (114 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 186-220 (66.6 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 170-201 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Specs Keldeo locked into anything but icy wind obviously loses.
0 Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 102-120 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 83% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 52-61 (13.5 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite: 105-123 (27.2 - 31.9%) -- 45% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 101-119 (26.2 - 30.9%) -- 5.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Dragonite: 202-238 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 368-436 (123.4 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It barely wins out vs CB Talonflame if he can get around without rocks.

0 Atk Dragonite Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 186-220 (62 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 102-120 (26.4 - 31.1%) -- 7.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Dragonite: 204-240 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Wins out with multiscale here, too.

This set requires good prediction, and likes to have the rocker down early. This is fine with all the Deo-S/D going around and suicide. Not only that, Talonflame is a late game cleaner so he can regain HP by then. Thundurus-i is kind of similar, coming in mid-late game to damage control. With that in mind, delaying the time to that point to get one roost off shouldn't be too difficult.

Edit: loltagfail
No offence, but I would make sure to test your sets first before posting them here. I mean cause if you did, you would know it was illegal. And yeah without Multiscale, Defog D-nite is pretty garbage. Has little reason to be used over the Lati twins or any other defogger for that matter.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Well, I was about to write up a Manaphy set until you changed to Dragonite.

Back in BW when everyone and their brother ran rain, I had a rain attacker Dragonite. Now, while in most cases, special D-nite sets are outclassed by physical ones, he's the only relevant thing that gets both Thunder and Hurricane, with the added bonus of STAB on the latter. I see two possibilities here: manual rain and Politoed as a teammate. However, since Politoed is rare in OU these days, D-nite will most likely have to take matters into his own hands, so that is the set I will focus on.

Dragonite @ Damp Rock/Life Orb/Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest/Timid Nature
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Hurricane
-Roost/Surf/Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam

First three moves are self explanatory. LO can be used for power, while DR makes rain last longer, and WP is WP. The fourth slot depends on preference. Roost can be used for recovery and reactivating Multiscale in a pinch, D-pulse is for another STAB, Surf gets pseudo-STAB in the rain, and Ice Beam has great coverage with Thunder.

If you want, you can run a bulky spread, like 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def with Modest, in which case you should run Lefties over LO and more likely prefer Roost. WP is an option on either set.

Okay, calcs time.
Talonflame:
252+ SpA Dragonite Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 298-352 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 222-262 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 222-262 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Dragonite Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 244-288 (81.8 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

TL;DR D-nite wins but takes a beating unless Multiscale is active. Surf will kill it after recoil even outside of rain, so it can work in neutral weather if you're concerned about accuracy.
Ferrothorn:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 157-187 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO
But Ferro can't do anything back other than T-wave or Leech Seed, so you usually win.
Mega Venusaur:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 367-432 (100.8 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 154-183 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

Similar to Ferrothorn. Sludge Bomb can hurt in the event of a miss or setup turn, though.
Rotom-W:
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Rain: 93-110 (28.7 - 34%) -- 1.5% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Rain: 93-110 (24 - 28.4%) -- 97.1% chance to 4HKO

Kind of a coin flip here. Multiscale gives you a slight edge, though, as does Hydro Miss. Or it could just Volt Switch out. Be careful of Will-o-Wisp, as it gives Rotom a better chance of winning.

Long story short, he can break down some of the common defensive mons in OU, plus beat Talonflame. I wouldn't suggest sweeping, or trying to kill the blobs. But it can work, and also annoy Y-zard by cancelling its sun.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Heal Bell is illegal with Multiscale, as it's a move from XD. Unless it gets it as an egg move, and I know it can't learn it from the tutors.
Classic Fagonite. Nice moves, be a shame if you couldn't use Multiscale with them. Oh well, reserving this for when I think of something.

No offence, but I would make sure to test your sets first before posting them here. I mean cause if you did, you would know it was illegal. And yeah without Multiscale, Defog D-nite is pretty garbage. Has little reason to be used over the Lati twins or any other defogger for that matter.
It's a bit hard to test a stall set when stall teams themselves take a long time to build. Defog dragonite was something I was working on with a team I wanted to start building and I didn't recognize the illegality of it due to the fact that I'd have to actually complete a team he could run on first, which could take weeks depending on the project. I think Twave/Haze would fit the bill regardless, however.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Rush
- Aqua Tail
- Roost/Extreme Speed

Hone Claws is often overlooked in favor of Dragon Dance on Dragonite. However, the 4/3 accuracy boost from a single Hone Claws is just enough to boost Dragon Rush to 100% accuracy. Multiscale all but guarantees a Hone Claws boost, at which point you can spam a +1 100 power 100 accuracy STAB move with a 20% flinch chance and no drawbacks whatsoever. Aqua Tail is the best coverage move here, because it gets bumped up to better than 100% accuracy, and Water+Dragon is resisted only by Empoleon, Ferrothorn, Azumarill, and Whimsicott in terms of fully evolved Pokemon. The last slot is up to you: Roost can help with longevity while Extreme Speed can make up for the lack of a DD speed boost.

Last edited:
Dragonite@Leftovers
Multiscale
Careful 248 HP / 8 Df / 252 SpD
~ Toxic
~ Sky Drop
~ Roost
~ Aqua Tail/Waterfall

Multiscale is quite useful for stalling purposes if you choose to abuse it. This is a simple Toxic stall set that takes advantage of STAB Sky Drop that is essentially an offensive Protect, but it also prevents defensive opponents from being able to heal. Roost to get back to Multiscale range faster. Aqua Tail is a way to hit many Steel types neutrally, but Heatran super effectively, as well as Gliscor.

Dragonite@Life Orb
Multiscale
Modest 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
~ Tailwind/Agility
~ Hurricane
~ Surf
~ Dragon Pulse/Thunder

Rain sweeper. Get a Damp Rock rain setter like Deoxys-S or Klefki who can also set up some hazards. Tailwind or Agility will give you the speed you need and then you can hammer opponents with STAB Hurricane primarily and Rain boosted Surf. Dragon Pulse is a reliable STAB should the Rain stops but Thunder is also an option if you want to abuse it.

Dragonite @ Expert Belt
Ability : Inner Focus
EVs: 203 HP / 252 ATK / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunderpunch / Earthquake / Iron Head
- Ice Punch / Fire Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

This set uses Dragonite's amazing attack stat to it's fullest by letting it succesfully use it's strongest physical move, Focus Punch. The idea of this set of course is to set up a substitute against 'mons that cannot break it or that will clearly try to status you, and then begin your rampage.
52 EVs in Speed are used to outspeed non-invested Rotom-W and set up a Sub in it's face while it tries to burn you or volt switch on you (which won't break your sub)

Like all Dragon types Dragonite has great coverage which let's it get past most Pokemons that dare stand before it, that's why Expert Belt fits this set like no other item.

The Moveset:
Thunderpunch is for Gyarados, Earthquake sometimes can save you if you are without a sub against Excadrill, Iron Head can be used to easily 2HKO fully defensive Clefable while Ice Punch is necessary in order to destroy Gliscor, Thundurus and Landorus-T... you can also use Fire Punch to easily get rid of Mega-Scizor and weakened Skarmory.
Focus Punch is the main attraction of this set as it hits ridiculously hard... here are some calcs :

252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 420-494 (108.8 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 262-310 (74.4 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 583-689 (82.8 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 326-384 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (this is AFTER Intimidate)

-1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Thunder Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 360-427 (108.4 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 408-482 (122.8 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Expert Belt Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 206-245 (52.2 - 62.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Warning: This Dragonite is no stall-breaker/wall breaker so don't expect it to do fantastically well against stall teams, but I assure you it will make offensive and balanced teams regret the day they met it, almost NOTHING who switches in while Dragonite still has a sub can defeat it one on one.

What you should fear using this set:
* Mega Gardevoir destroys you with hyper voice and will hit you through the sub.
* Stealth Rocks are annoying as they reduce the number of substitutes you can pull off.
* Fast dragons who will switch the moment your sub is down in order to revenge kill you.

So to cover these weaknesses you should make sure you have a switch in to Mega Gardevoir (Blissey, Chansey...), one or two 'mons to remove hazards and a switch in to fast dragons (unaware Clefable, Quagsire...)

So yeah, don't be like me and have no one to switch into Zard X like in this exemple:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104546261

You can also see the amount of work that Dnite puts in this game, it would have been better if I had a legit switch in to ZardX.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I'm very impressed with the turnout I got, so many creative sets. Keep on posting guys, I may close submissions a few days early depending on how many more submissions we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)