1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Next Forum Mafia.

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by GreenPikachu, Mar 10, 2008.

?

Which Mafia Theme Would You Like?

1. Star Wars

36 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. Lord of the Rings

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Other (specify in post)

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I'm going to start up the next forum mafia game. Mekkah's Harry Potter is winding down, so now is a good time to start drumming up interest. I was thinking of doing Star Wars (original 1-3) theme, but I also think Lord of the Rings would be cool. I'll leave it up to you guys. I hope to get about 50-60 for this, and get it started up as soon as Harry Potter ends.

Post in here to sign up, and also indicate whether you'd prefer Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, or some other theme (specify).

I also reserve the right to deny entrance to someone (if you were inactive in Havak's pokemon mafia or Mekkah's HP mafia that doesn't bode well for you).

edit: also, please specify in your post if you want to join. i can't tell if gorm and toothache want to join =/

1. VIL
    2. Dak
    3. Toothache
    4. timw06
    5. Mekkah
    6. Fishin
    7. Melon
    8. akuchi
    9. Shiney
    10. YoshiKing
    11. Amelia
    12. ControllerofFlames
    13. Ghandi1988
    14. Lord_Sunday
    15. Hipmonlee
    16. Blue Kirby
    17. Sklez
    18. Mr.Escalator
    19. JimBob
    20. Shiv
    21. gsumbreon
    22. West
    23. jc rcw
    24. StrangerDanger
    25. el_B
    26. gmax
    27. Gormenghast
    28. GTS
    29. Zephyrman
    30. TheBM
    31. Kingdrom
    32. Mr. 378
    33. Judgement
    34. Galahad
    35. Kira
    36. darkie
    37. Gouki
    38. Kade Zonglo
    39. porygon3
    40. FFMaster
    41. Obi
    blahblahblah
  2. Veteran In Love

Veteran In Love
    is a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 3 Champion

i saw this and decided that since i have a computer i have the means to play

also i have no preference toward theme
  3. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

4. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Haha Gorm.

I've been toying with a few ideas myself for a mafia game. But I'll let this one run first and see how it goes.

Don't forget you need 3 rival factions, not two. Star Wars is more cut-and-dry (Empire vs Rebels), so I don't see that working. LotR is more of the same (Mordor vs good guys). You need to pick a theme where at least 3 rival factions are working against each other, and sometimes on a subtle level.
  5. dak

dak

i'd like to enter and i'd love to play star wars mafia

you could take like bounty hunters with jabba as the leader or something for the third fraction

also please dont make it like pokemon mafia with the hints and stuff, i'd prefer it to be more like harry potter and saw mafia!
  6. GreenPikachu

is a Contributor Alumnus

toothache, in star wars you can add jabba and the bounty hunters

in lotr, you can separate mordor and the other tower with christopher lee into 2 parts.

trust me, i've been thinking about this for a long time. i even contacted mekkah like 3 weeks ago about it.

gorm, i can't get to that link, my school is blocking it. it's so stupid, the firewall shouldn't affect teachers. ._.

and no, dak, don't worry. it'll be real mafia.
  7. Toothache

Toothache Let the music play!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well I'm in for this then, should be interesting.
  8. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

I don't like the idea of Star Wars and much less LOTR for a Mafia theme, but I support Google ads.
  9. timw06

timw06

10. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Stupid mafia fad, I was there first (Obi does not count). Anyway here's a few things I think that are a must or very advisable when hosting:
    - Get a co-host. It helps so much to have a second opinion or just someone to talk to about the whole deal, I always miss something big when plotting everything and it's better to ask the other person before implementing something. Plus, you can split the day and night work between you two, and one of you two can go away for a weekend or something while the game can continue.
    - Be really, really, really active on the forums. How the people respond to your mafia game is a reflection of how much time you put into it. Havak updates once in a blue moon, which is about as often as other people actually post in his thread, or say they care.
    - Plot as much as you can beforehand. Mostly how your roles will interact, which will have priority over another, that kind of things.
    - Lay out beforehand what you will tell to who. Prepare the PMs you send, and decide which information a certain role gets about themselves and others. If you are asked a question, you really have to think before answering it, so you don't give away too much and ruin an aspect of the game. This is another reason to have a partner.
    - Trusting is alright, protecting is better. If you have to choose between two options where in one the game is alright as long as people don't fuck up and/or break your rules and in the other you keep the switch in your hands, pick the latter.
    - Keep track of everything during the game in log-form or something. Awfully convenient and fun to look back.
    - Limit sign-ups to people you know who will be active. I can get you a list of people who I found way too inactive in HP Mafia II after the game is over so you can refuse those in sign-ups. Inactive people will have a much more negative influence on the game as it goes on, because active people do get killed a lot, so you'll want 99 to 100 percent activity if possible.

I voted Star Wars.

Also Shiv/Jackal said they wanted to host one but they now do the World Cup and Shiv is gay anyway so they probably won't do that.

Don't start it before HP Mafia II is over oh my god I'll kill you.

Okay that post was a little on the Basics/chaos rant angry side but I just hate failured mafia games.
  11. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

In (lucky I happened to check this at school).

Also, I was toying around with the idea of a Fire Emblem mafia for awhile (FE7, two mafia groups would probably be Black Fang and Morphs/Nergal). There'd be a pretty decent pool of characters to make abilities for, the main problem I could see would be that not all that many people have played Fire Emblem.
  12. GreenPikachu

is a Contributor Alumnus

mekkah, i appreciate the advice. trust me, im really meticulous with this kind of thing. im obsessed with star wars almost as much as harry potter, so im sure i'll be able to make that work real easily if it gets voted on.

and yeah, i'll look into getting a co-host of sorts.

and of COURSE im waiting until hp mafia ends. im assuming that has 1-2 more weeks. sign-ups, brainstorming, and setting up will take about that long i imagine. i want it to be a seamless transition into the next.

and yeah, jackal said that with world cup he's too busy to do a mafia, so i figured i'd do mine right after yours. then once mine is done, jackal can jump in.
  13. CaptKirby

CaptKirby

If Lord of the Rings, then I would like to join, and if Star Wars, then not.
  14. NatKing

NatKing

I'll join, regardless of what it turns out to be.
  15. akuchi

akuchi chaos's bitch

I'm so in
  16. Shiney

Shiney

Signing up
  17. Yoshi King

Yoshi King

I vote star wars, and I would like to participate.
  18. Amelia

Amelia

I'll join no matter what the theme... but i've got a feeling that LOTR won't work so well. Maybe a fellowship/Sauron/Saruman group...
    Also, i was extremely active during all the mafias apart from the first :P
  19. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

I'll join this mafia it's always fun to play. Furthermore I have always been active in my mafia games.
  20. EconBiscuit

EconBiscuit

I've also been giving thought to another mafia game, alas I have been trying to think of themes for it and wonder if anyone would actually join it seeing how I am not a welcome firebot poster

World 1940-1945
    Allies/Nazis/Facist Italy

Allies is facing the Nazi's and the facists, who will win

Xmen Mafia
    XMen/Magneto's Groupies/Anti Mutants (Can't remember acronym)

Xmen are under attack from Magneto aswell as Anti-Mutants can the X-Men secure their future?

Doctor Who Mafia
    Human&TimeLords/Daleks/CyberMen and other evil doers

Doctor who has gathered up his trusty accomplices through time to take part in his final battle agains the daleks aswell as the other less funny evil characters

Eco-Mafia
    Humans/Eco Terrorists/Scientists

Humans are bombarded with propoganda of Global warming from Greenpeace and other slightly less known pressure groups as the Scientists try to think of new WMD's

Jihad
    Allies/Al-Qaeda/Iraqi's

The allies have invaded the middle east for whatever reasons WMD/Oil/Naked Ladies can the Iraqi's and Al-Qaeda stop this threat?

DragonBall
    Goku's Alliance/Red Ribbon Army/Saiyans

Goku and friends are still defending their onslaught from the Red Ribbon Army but who is this new Monkey threat emerging

Pirates of the Carribean
    Pirates/Davy Jones/EITC

Jack Sparrow and his sidekicks are wanted by East India Trading Company, but can Davy Jones satisfy his fishy thirst first? Who knows

Kingdom Hearts
    Good Guys/Heartless/Nobodies

Was orginally trying to think of an FF mafia but if not FF why not an FF/Disney parody?

I voted for other, but I'd love to join this in any shape or form.

EDIT: Added some new ideas aswell as an explanation
  21. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I'll join, I really wanna be maifa this time >.>

EDIT: I mean Sith, of course.
  22. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Signing up and voting for star wars mostly because you didnt even know sarumans name and that really makes me think you are not enough of a lotr nerd to achieve that effectively.

[edit] - Also right now I am bagsing the next mafia game after this one. I hadn't realised demand was so high, I thought I would get a few weeks after mekkahs ended..

Have a nice day.
  23. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

In.

Voted Star Wars.
  24. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

mafia is gay
  25. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

star wars is gay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)