Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stealth Rock gives Gastro a bit more utility. Think Quagsire without Unaware.

Lanturn can pass Wishes off with a slow Volt Switch. As a WishTect user I GUESS it could function like Alomomola. But Volt Switch + Wish sounds like a deadly tool for Offensive and Defensive teams alike.

Reckless Dodrio is my favorite. Its fast, powerful, but very frail. Like a weaker Staraptor without Close Combat. Would be so fucking fun to abuse for sure. (Especially Natural Gift sets cause Steelix and Rhydon are assholes)

Mesprit with Fire Blast makes it hit Steelix I guess? Mostly just pointless in my opinion, though maybe someone else could explain why this would be interesting.

My Nomination:

Earthquake Zangoose. Lets it hit (nearly) everything that gave it hell before with sheer power. This may be a bit TOO broken, however.

(If this is broken, I'd also like to see Unaware Clefairy (with its stats as usual) or Rock/Poison Cradily (Cause I can't think of any other ideas to buff this thing on the ballot in the future))

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For what it's worth the only one of those which makes any thematic sense is Reckless Dodrio, and that sounds like a really nice attacker in a vaccuum and yet another normal spam 'mon, although it's hard to say whether it offers anything over other Normal-types for such teams. It's v. nice for birdspam, although due to the dismal coverage on birdspam it isn't all that good given the popularity of things like Steelix and Rhydon. I think it is the most solid in a vaccuum but doesn't really do much of anything in practice.

SR Gastro makes no sense from a thematic standpoint but it provides nice utility and just turns Gastro into Seismitoad w/ a worse defensive ability, access to reliable recovery and no access to KOff. Seems straightforward and functional.

Wish Lanturn is nice for defensive teams and it allows it to be a dedicated cleric with Wish+Heal Bell and a slow Volt Switch. Solid but not a particularly big buff.

Mesprit with Fire Blast is literally a slower, weaker, fatter Azelf with HW>Explosion in the roll of rocker. It's nice to be able to beat Steelix to a pulp but it doesn't target much outside of this. Simple but effective.
=============
Submission: Rapidash+Desolate Land

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok, time to vote! Earth will take over this project while I'm on vacation, please don't bully him :mad:

Gastrodon + Stealth Rock
Lanturn + Wish
Dodrio + Reckless
Mesprit + Fire Blast

vote for your two favourites! Voting will end somewhere on Sunday/Monday.

(I was typing this as you posted the voting thing)

Stealth Rock Gastrodon

Allows Gastro to set up Rocks, which is nice and allows it to weaken a ton of Pokémon that Gastro and it's teammates might have trouble with.

Wish Lanturn
FATTEST
WISH
PASSING
EVER (aside from Mega Audino).

This also give Lanturn reliable recovery, which it really needed to be a better wall. Wish + Volt Switch also allows Lanturn to pass Wishes without the receiver taking damage and dying, since Lanturn is slower than most of the tier.

Reckless Dodrio
Dodrio's two main moves can let it hit like a truck, Double-Edge and Brave Bird, kinda like an NU version of Staraptor with Knock Off instead of Close Combat. It still can't do much to bulky Steel or Rock-types, however.

Fire Blast Mesprit
Speaking of Steel-types, Mesprit can deal with them now. Mesprit can take down lead Steelix and possibly Klingklang if it's not setup.

My nomination: Garbador + 10 Points to Attack, Defense, and Special Defense.
With a slight boost to these 3 stats, Garbodor can do a bit moredamage with a strong Gunk Shot,and have great 80/92/92 bulk.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Lanturn + Wish
Dodrio + Reckless

Well, rhydon gets lightning rod with its horn, so why not our favorite sea dino/dragon ice thing. Either way, this makes Lapras a really cool stop to most of the tier's water, ice, and electric types, and gives it fairly good offensive prowess, while removing one of its major defensive weaknesses. Sure, it still has that rather horrific SR weakness, and can't pivot how it wants to, but with lightning-rod it basically can eat the tier's defensive water types alive, while fitting on a lot of different team archetypes.

0NI

j'arrive
scyther acrobatics looks nice

but kingler sheer force life orb dancer is stronger

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility / Swords Dance
- Swords Dance / Rock Slide
- Waterfall
- Superpower / Rock Slide

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Kingler Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Mantine: 307-361 (91.9 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Kingler Superpower vs. 248 HP / 148+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 211-250 (72.5 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Kingler Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 221-260 (68.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Kingler Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Torterra: 207-243 (52.5 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

check :

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Kingler Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 122-144 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- 52.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

counter :

252+ Atk Life Orb Kingler Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 139-165 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kingler without Superpower is useless against poliwrath

Kingler: Shittier Feraligatr I guess. Seems pretty interesting, but would probably work best with something like Garbodor.

Scyther: Loses the bulk from Eviolite but gains a more powerful Flying-type STAB in exchange. Seems quite neat.

Pinsir: Practically a worse Heracross, but at least it gets good STAB moves now. (X-Scissor may still have uses though)

Lapras: Flavorfully the best entry. Typing is still shit defensively but at least it loses one weakness. I guess it may be useful, but not something I would use on most teams.

I know these descriptions are very short but I'm bored af right now so yeah.

Kingler

Obviously a bit of an improvement, lets it avoid recoil from Life Orb and gives a slightly more reliable STAB move. Overall it does little to change the fact that while Kingler possesses good physical Attack and Defense stats it lacks the Speed and HP respectively to take advantage of them. Also its coverage is still pretty mediocre. Agility is an option but taking a turn to set up saps momentum and it doesn't often have opportunities to set up in the first place. Weakest out of the bunch.

Scyther

It makes sense flavor wise and does give it a bit of a stronger move to hit Fighting types and Vileplume. It's especially nice because the damage from itemless Acrobatics is similar to damage Banded Aerial Ace although it's still much lower. It honestly might even be better to run Acrobatics on the Banded set because with an item its AA's 60 bp vs Acro's 55 but it does give you the chance to switch into Knock Offs and not be completely crippled.

Pinsir

Another STAB move is always nice. A handful of nice resists including making Stealth Rocks do neutral damage. You can probably forgoe running X-Scissor and just run CC as your STAB which opens a move slot for Pinsir's other coverage. Honestly probably the second best addition out of the bunch here.

Lapras

The best out of the bunch. Makes sense flavorwise and allows Lapras to take advantage of some of its usual checks and get a free damage boost so offensive threats like Rotom/Manectric need to be wary of using their Electric type STAB. Honestly would probably make this my Water type of choice.

Waterfall Kingler
This gives Kingler a really powerful Sheer Force boosted STAB move. With it's 130 Attack and Agility, after a boost, Kingler can be a super threatening sweeper.

Acrobatics Scyther
Gives Scyther a very powerful STAB Flying-move at the cost of the Eviolite. Personally, I'd rather have the extra bulk with a weaker STAB move in Aerial Ace, but that's probably just me. Not having to worry about Knock Off, or even taking advantage of it, is nice though.

Bug/Fighting Pinsir
Gives Pinsir STAB on some of it's most powerful moves like Superpower and Close Combat. A Fighting-typing also let's Pinsir get rid of it's Stealth Rock weakness. Pinsir can also take on Rock and Steel-types easier, not having to worry too much about getting hit by a Rock Slide and having an even more powerful Fighting move.

Lightning Rod Lapras
Let's Lapras lose it's Electric weakness and use it to power up it's moves.... That's about all I can say... Gives you even less of a reason to use a Special Seaking?

My nomination: Huge Power Ledian+ X-Scissor
Even with it's low 35 Attack, at Level 100 with Huge Power, Ledian can hit a nice 370 (Adamant) or 339 (Jolly) Attack stat, making it's moves very powerful. It already has a decent 85 Speed, Acrobatics, and a ton of great Physical Attacks, it just needs the power (and the option for a good STAB Bug move in X-Scissor).

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Thoughts:
Waterfall Kingler: Well, suddenly sheer force is more viable, as it basically has a more accurate, roughly 15% stronger stab move, which is real cool. Agility is probably the best bet, but scarf remains a cool option, as it just got a lot more reliable.

Acro Scyther:
Basically, this makes switching into a knock off a lot less painful, as you suddenly have a significantly stronger flying move, at the cost of having a slightly weaker stab move when you have your item, def worth it on most sets, and most importantly, silly berry sets are actually a lot more viable.

Bug/Fighting Pinsir: Well, it suddenly can hit stuff like rhydon and steelix for massive damage, and has a much better neutral stab in close combat, which is backed up by honestly rather cool bug stab. Also, its worth noting that it has equal attack to Sawk, and the same close combat and supporting moves that made it strong. Also, once you get rid of your opponent's psychic and ghost types, you can very easily sweep with close combat backed up by moxie. Honestly, it should become at least A+ rank, possibly S ranked. Scarf is probably the set that benefits the most, as it has a stupidly strong stab move to spam, and has the potential to just run through teams. All of this, and it only takes 1/8th from rocks. Again, its worth noting that with a band, the only mons in the tier that don't get 2hko'd after rocks are Gourgeist and Weezing, and if you decide to run mold breaker, your only safe switchin is gourgeist, barring some sets I may have missed.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok Earth is 2 days late with this so i'll take over again :P

+ Waterfall
+ Fighting-type
+ Acrobatics
+ Lightning Rod

Vote for your two favourites!

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really don't see why i'd use scyther without eviolite or scarf...

But, Pinsir and Lapras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)