The Official Name-Pronunciation Guide

The localization really have messed up Regice.

The way the Japanese people intended to pronounce this name (judging from the katakana) was ['rɛdʒɪaɪs] - regi-ice. Its name would and should have been "Regiice" but they decided to kill one of the i.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is one reason why English is a shit language-- we should at least make an alphabet system with a definite pronunciation.

For instance, if you just look at any Japanese Pokemon name you instantly know exactly how to pronounce it (except for emphasis, but that's pretty intuitive).

edit: Then again, any language that still uses thousands of symbollic characters instead of a simple alphabet purely probably isn't a great example of "ideal" either. Only the Koreans seem to have an invented a writing system that's actually good.

This is actually a pretty neat thing here. I didn't know the pokedex 3D did this.

My girlfriend argues through her teeth that Escavailer is pronounced ES-cav-all-E-ay, the way the french would say it. Not that this will change her mind.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
back in the old days of red, i used to pronounce geodude as goo-duh. It was funny, in the anime, when brock sent out his 'geodude' (pronounced correctly) and i had no clue what that was. When i saw it come out of its pokeball i was really confused how his 'Goo-duh' got a weird name.

Thinking about it know, Goo-duh is a better pronunciation.

Just as a note, I'm going to list all of the Gen VI ones soon, but since there's no update to the 3DS Pokedex app, I'd only be able to provide guesses on how they're officially pronounced...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Vivillon seems to be derived from the French papillon (meaning butterfly) so I pronounce it similarly: "vee-vee-on". The double ls are silent. I think this is the only controversial one among the new stuff.

It is a bit complicated.

Vivillon: [vivijɔ̃]

The problem for less savvy French speakers is the third syllabe and the fact that there are no accents. We hope the IPA spelling give you guys some more insight.

'vee-vee-on' is quite close if we understand it correctly ('e' is not a very constant sound in English). A bit closer would probably be 'vee-vee-jong'.

We actually have the IPA for half of the Kalos Dices. If you are interested, we might finish it AND transcribe it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, "Florges" will certainly confuse some people (or at least myself). In "Gogoat", would you accentuate the first or second syllable (stress on "Go" or on "Goat")? How do you take care of the Gs in "Dragalge"?

Though, the rest look okay to me. Xerneas and Yveltal could have been a matter of debate, hadn't GameFreak provided an official pronounciation as early as pre-release.

Well, "Florges" will certainly confuse some people (or at least myself). In "Gogoat", would you accentuate the first or second syllable (stress on "Go" or on "Goat")? How do you take care of the Gs in "Dragalge"?

Though, the rest look okay to me. Xerneas and Yveltal could have been a matter of debate, hadn't GameFreak provided an official pronounciation as early as pre-release.
It's Dragalgae. As in Dragon+Algae. If that's not how you pronounce it shoot me.

Also I think Yveltal is based on the word "evil". So maybe it's "evil-tall"?

Accent on the first syllable of Gogoat; are there any regions with English speaker who would accentuate the second one? It appeared to be obvious to us.

As for Dragalge's g, it depends on if you are more familiar with British or American English:

BE: [dræˈɡælɡɪ]
AE: [dræˈɡældʒi]

You can see that the difference between is the second g. The second g sound the same as the one from the 'dragon' part for a British. For an American the second g sounds like 'jizz' (sorry).

Florges: Actually, nobody knows what it means. From the Japanese name フラージェス we can safely say that s was intended to be pronounced ['flɔːɹdʒɪz] - it sound exactly like 'floor-jizz' (sorry). The American floor [flɔːɹ] at least, the r is silent in British English.

Yveltal: It already received its official pronunciation via trailers. It is ['ivəltɑl] - sounds like evil and tal. The tal part is a bit difficult to explain. The a is quite long, so feel free to strech it a bit. How would people pronounce 'tahl'?

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've always pronounced Gogoat as goGOAT, emphasis on the second syllable. I'm not sure why.

As for Yveltal, I've pronounced it like yai-vel-tahl (yai as in "yipes") for some reason.

everyone knows that pidove is pronounced hit-ler-pid-jin
look at that salute.

that said, can confirm the vivillon = vi-vi-yon or whatever. generally, in spanish and french [not italian, no idea with portuguese], two l's together make the sound commonly attributed to y.

as for gogoat, i generally put emphasis on the first syllable, though i prefer the french name: chevroum. as in
VROUM VROUM VROOOOOOOOOOOUM
don't mind me just picking up babes with my chevroum.

oh, i was wondering about sceptile. me, i say "sep-tile," but i've heard "skep-tile" before. has there been anything confirmed?

Reactions: KS2
oh, i was wondering about sceptile. me, i say "sep-tile," but i've heard "skep-tile" before. has there been anything confirmed?
The OP says SEP-tile, and the Name Origin section of its Bulbapedia page seems to lean towards SEP-tile rather than SKEP-tile.
Bulbapedia said:
To be honest, though, I still pronounce it SKEP-tile. Maybe just my preference of saying things how they look. (I usually pronounce Munna like MUN-na)

Anyway, here's my insight on the pronunciations of the Kalos Pokémon.
Chespin: CHESS-pin
Quilladin: QWIL-uh-din (from Quill and Paladin)
Chesnaught: CHESS-not
Fennekin: FEN-uh-kin
Braixen: BRAYK-sen
Delphox: DELL-fox
Froakie: FRO-key
Frogadier: FROG-a-dyay (although FROG-a-deer would be a more English-oriented pronunciation, like es-CA-va-leer vs es-CAV-ly-ay)
Greninja: gre-NIN-ja
Bunnelby: BUN-null-bee
Diggersby: DIG-gurs-bee (tho)
Fletchling: FLETCH-ling
Fletchinder: flet-CHIN-der
Talonflame: TAL-in-flame
Scatterbug: SKAD-der-bug
Spewpa: SPEW-pa
Vivillon: VEE-vee-yon
Litleo: LIT-lee-oh
Pyroar: PIE-roar
Flabébé: FLA-bay-bay (that's how I pronounce it...YouTuber Tom Fawkes pronounces it fla-BAY-bay)
Floette: FLO-ette
Florges: FLORZH (the proper pronunciation IMO; the "ges" part of the name is pronounced like the "si" in "vision"; most people pronounce it FLOR-gis though)
Skiddo: SKID-doe
Gogoat: GO-gote
Pancham: PAN-cham
Pangoro: pan-GO-roh
Furfrou: FUR-fru (from fur and frou-frou)
Espurr: ESS-purr
Meowstic: MEOW-stick
Honedge: HONE-edge (although I've been pronouncing it ON-edge, thinking the "hon" was from "honor", while it's actually from "hone")
Doublade: DUH-blade
Aegislash: EE-ji-slash (although most people pronounce it AY-ji-slash)
Spritzee: SPRIT-zee
Aromatisse: a-ROH-ma-teese (the "teese" pronounced like "Keese" from Zelda)
Swirlix: SWIR-licks
Slurpuff: SLURR-puff
Inkay: ING-kay
Malamar: MAL-uh-mar
Binacle: BYE-nuh-kull
Barbaracle: bar-BAR-uh-kull
Skrelp: SKRELP
Dragalge: dra-GAL-jee
Clauncher: CLAUN-chur
Clawitzer: CLAW-it-zur (not sure about this one)
Helioptile: HEE-lee-OPE-tile (although I personally pronounce it HEE-lee-oh-tile for some reason)
Tyrunt: TIE-runt
Tyrantrum: tie-RAN-trum
Amaura: uh-MORE-uh
Aurorus: or-ROR-us
Sylveon: SILL-vee-on
Hawlucha: haw-LU-cha
Dedenne: de-DEN (according to Poképédia, the "enne" part is from the French word "antenne" (antenna))
Carbink: CAR-bink
Goomy: GOO-mee (pls)
Sliggoo: SLIG-goo
Goodra: GOO-druh
Klefki: CLEF-key
Phantump: FAN-tump
Trevenant: TREV-uh-nint
Pumpkaboo: PUMP-ka-boo
Gourgeist: GOOR-geist (like the "geist" in "Poltergeist")
Bergmite: BURG-mite
Avalugg: AH-vuh-lug
Noibat: NOI-bat
Noivern: NOI-vern
Xerneas: ZURR-nee-us
Yveltal: ee-VELL-tall
Zygarde: ZAI-gard (at first, I pronounced it "zi-GARD", but the "zygote" argument on Poképédia seems valid)

I thought that Zygarde was pronounced as: zee-GAR-day, since the Japanese name's Hepburn is as follows: ji-ga-ru-de. But the localized names rarely, if ever, follow the Hepburn pronunciations.

Are you sure it's Eh-ji-slash? Aegis comes from the Greek word for shield {Αιγίς} and γ [Gamma] is apparently pronounced like an English "G," thus more like Eh-gi-slash, with the hard "g," no?

The localization really have messed up Regice.

The way the Japanese people intended to pronounce this name (judging from the katakana) was ['rɛdʒɪaɪs] - regi-ice. Its name would and should have been "Regiice" but they decided to kill one of the i.
I'd suspect that it's because Regice sounds a lot less awkward and staggered than Regiice.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The thing with Dragalge is that I'm not sure if it's two or three syllables. English is not my first language, you see. In a similar vein, is Florges one or two syllables?

Here's just how I pronounce Dragalge, Aegislash, Florges, and Vivillon:
Dragalge: Druh - gahl - gee
Aegislash: I (Hard I) - guh - slash [Like, I guh slash]
Florges: Floor - jess
Vivillon: Vivi - lawn

Might as well include how I pronounce all of them:
Chespin: Chess - pin
Quallidin: Qwui - lad - enn
Chesnaught: Chess - not
Fennekin: Fenn - ek - in
Braixen: Brah - ixen (It is Blaze + Vixen, correct? Vixen has the hard I, so I think it is like that, not brai, but bra -i)
Delphox: Dell - fox
Froakie: Froh - kee
Frogadier: Froh - guh - deer
Greninja: Gray - ninja
Bunnelby: Bunn - uhl - bye
Diggersby: Dig - ers - bye
Fletchling: Fleh - tch - ling
Fletchinder: Fleh - tch - en - de
Talonflame: Talon - flame
Scatterbug: Scatter - bug
Spewpa: Speu - pah
Vivillon: Vivi - lawn
Litleo: Lit - layo (Like Galileo)
Pyroar: Pie - roar
Flabébé: Fluh - bay - bay
Floette: Flow - ette
Florges: Floor - jess
Skiddo: Ski - do
Gogoat: Go - goat
Pancham: Pan - cham
Pangoro: Pan - go - row
Furfrou: Fur - frow
Espurr: Esp - err
Meowstic: Meow - stick
Honedge: Hone - edge
Doublade: Dub - lade
Aegislash: I (Hard I) - guh - slash [Like, I guh slash]
Spritzee: Sprit - see
Aromatisse: A - roam - uh - tees
Swirlix: Swirl - licks
Slurpuff: Slurp - uff
Inkay: Ink - ayy
Malamar: Mal - uh - mar
Binacle: Bine - ackle
Barbaracle: Bar - ber - acle
Skrelp: Skrelp
Draglage: Druh - gahl - gee
Clauncher: Clawn - cherr
Clawitzer: Claw - it - zer
Helioptile: Hell - ee - ope - tile
Heliolisk: Hell - ee - o - lisk
Tyrunt: Ty - runt
Tyrantrum: Ty - rant - trum
Amaura: Uh - mor - uh
Aurorus: Uh - roar - rus
Sylveon: Sil - vee - on
Hawlucha: Haw - lu - ch - uh
Dedenne: Dead - en - ay
Carbink: Carb - ink
Goomy: Goo - me
Sliggo: Slig - oo
Goodra: Goo - druh
Phantump: Phant - ump
Trevenant: Trev - enn - unt
Pumkaboo: Pump - kuh - boo
Gourgeist: Gour (like Hour) - guyst
Bergmite: Berg - might(like night)
Avalugg: Av - uh - lugg
Noibat: Noi - bat
Noivern: Noi - vern
Xerneas: Zer - nee - us
Yveltal: Eee - vault - al
Zygarde: Zye - guard - ay

This is merely how I pronounce them, feel free to nitpick at this.

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
There certainly is a lot of debate regarding Pokemon name pronunciation.
I suppose it's down to the English language's comparatively bizarre rules...But just a few from me:
  • Dragalge: Druh-Gal-Gee
  • Furfrou: Fur-Froo
  • Dedenne: Dead-Enn
  • Aegislash: Ay (Like "say")-Giss (Like "kiss")-Lash
  • Braixen: Break-Sen
  • Bunnelby: Bun-uhl-bee (This is also anime pronunciation, but the anime is inconsistent sometimes)
  • Diggersby: Dig-uhs-bee
I'm not advocating that these are how everyone must pronounce them; you are welcome to disagree ^_^

Last edited:
I thought that Dedenne was supposed to be pronounced as De-de-neh, like how you pronounce antennae. Its the Antennae pokemon after all.

I thought that Dedenne was supposed to be pronounced as De-de-neh, like how you pronounce antennae. Its the Antennae pokemon after all.
Dedenne is a weird one. Its name is clearly based on the Japanese way to pronounce antenne - which more or less sounds like how a German, considering the e turned out NOT to be silent. That is how it looks like:

ANTENNA, lat sin: [ɑnˈtɛnɑː] or [ɑnˈtɛnɑ] in ecc lat
ANTENNAE, lat pl: [ɑnˈtɛnɑj] or [ɑnˈtɛnɛ] in ecc lat
antenna, eng: [ænˈtenə]
Antenne, ger: [anˈtɛnə]
アンテナ, jap: [antena] an - te - na
アンテネ, jap: [antene] an - te - ne

Its name is デデンネ ; it is pronounced [dedene]. Pay attention on how the last e is pronounced. As you can see, there are only two antennae which fit the bill: Ecclesiastical Latin Plural or German Singular. The first one is in because Japanese do not have a way to pronounce ɛ (like fat), but only for us to rule it out right away because it is plural for no good reason. Which leaves us with German Singular.

Probably, the 'proper' way to pronouce Dedenne is [de'dɛnə], which does not make matters easier. Come on, guys, let's practice the schwa, the half-silent e.

One thing I noticed is the P is missing in PRIME-APE.

Other than that. THANK YOU. My quarrels with friends shall finally be won with one swift click of a bookmark page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)