1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Olympians (OU RMT)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by miniman96, May 16, 2011.

1. miniman96

miniman96

Although I'm relatively new to competitive battling I've had a fair amount of success with this team, peeking top 600 on PO, but then I got lazy and school work got n the way so I’ve drop a fair bit in ratings. All the pokemon on the team complement each other almost perfectly leaving only a few x4 weakness all of which deal 50% less to 2-3 other members. The team has been performing well, but would like some help.

While trying to be cleaver and find a theme for my team I started reading a book about the Greek Gods, The Olympians so decided to base the team's names around them, the names fit surprisingly well.

Team Building Process (open)
    [​IMG]
    First off I needed a lead that could set up Rocks, had a number of immunities and resistances that could also pack a punch late game, so returning from 4th gen was Heatran IMO the best choice for the job.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next up I need someone who could resist most of Heatran's weaknesses and could really pack a punch, while at the same time being a bulky so it could take a hit. Gyarados fit the spot perfectly, covering most weakness but leaving a lighting and rock weakness unresisted.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So I need a revenge killer for the team, and who better to turn to than the infamous Scizor. This thing can easily clean up an opposing team if they all have previous damage and SR damage or put a serious dent in anything that resists it. Scizor also provides the team with a few more resistances.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next up I needed something that could OHKO a majority of the Metagame and cover the seemingly unstoppable rampage of dragons. With it's drop from uber Latios has become a major power house for this team, normally KO'ing 3 pokemon a game and checking all of the dragon, unless there no SR when Dragonite switches in.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

With weather teams making half of the teams I've faced I need something that could take advantage of the rain, take a hit or two and act as a special attacker (which my team is really lacking with the exception of latios).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finally I needed a special, and going with my favorite wall Blissey has proved a great choice. Spreading T-waves around my opponent’s team and crippling sweeper, what’s not to love about that? Also with a massive 714 HP and 119 defense and 330 Special defense (calm nature) Blissey is an absolute monster.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gyarados wasn't doing much for the team, it wasn't able to hit hard enough unless it had 2-3 Dragon Dances. I also had a large Conkeldurr and was in deep need of a counter so I chose bulky DD Dragonite resisting it's stab mach and drain punch and was a beast after only a single Dragon Dance.

The Olympians
    [​IMG]
    Hephaestus (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Overheat
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Heatran returns from 4th Gen to still remain an amazing pokemon, Heatran servers a major part on this team including setting up rocks, providing key resistances and immunities and also servers as a check to various threats.
    Modest Nature for the extra fire power, 394 Sp Attack lets Heatran hit like a truck with a stab overheat it is sure to put a dent in anything, including pokemon that resist it. Heatran is able to counter various other set up pokemon like: Forretress, Ferrothorn Skarmory all with overheat and Special T-tar w/Stealth Rocks (thanks to the SDef EV's) with earth power. 128 HP and 128 SDef lets Heatran sponge so many hits (when switching in properly, but can be OHKO'ed if switch in at the wrong time) give Heatran great bulk and allow it to switch into treats, take a hit and at least put a dent in, return KO or force a switch out. Air balloon give Heatran a third resistance and lets it switch into various treats, most if it did not have the balloon couldn't normally switch into.

The move set is pretty much standard, Overheat is IMO better than fire blast as it's more accurate and has more power, earth power lets me hit T-tar and Chandelure hard and HP ice is for choiced dragons, whom I have switched in on when they were using Draco metor or Outrage. Due to it's typing it can also sponge status moves like Toxic and Will-o-Wisp. It's typing allows it to counter Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor and Genosect none of which can touch Heatran and then proceed to KO them with Overheat.
    Also going with the Greek God theme Heatran is named after Hephaestus the lame Blacksmith of the gods, making the weapons (stealth rocks) that helped lead to the overthrowing of Chronos, he is also sometimes connected with fire (to do with his job as a blacksmith) so I believe is a good name.

[​IMG]
    Aphrodite (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Seismic Toss
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder Wave
    With the new arrival of the Evolite many people say that Chancey is superior to Blissey, but I disagree with all of them, Blissey needs the Leftovers restore with SS teams being the most popular around now.

Blissey possible my favorite wall in all of Pokemon, with a unmatched 714 Hp, 119 Def (Calm Nature gives a 11 point difference a small price to pay for the extra SDef) and 337 SDef show how Blissey is truly a monster when on the defective. Blissey plays an important role on this team that only a small handful of pokemon could. Acting as both a cleric that can heal herself with Natural Cure and Softboil while helping the team with the status conditions that Heatran cannot sponge with Aromatherapy.
    The EV spread and move set is the usual for Blissey, maxing HP and SDef for the best stats to take Special hits. Thunder wave allows Blissey to cripple sweepers before switching out and KO'ing with Latios, Heatran or Scizor. Thunder wave also allows for Dragonite to set-up 1-2 Dragon Dance, by paralyzing it common counters and in many cases forcing a switching out.
    Softboil and Aromatherapy are obvious on this set and Seismic Toss gives Blissey away of chipping at Pokemons HP and prevents it from being locked by taunt.
    Aphrodite is the Goddess of Love and beauty a and one the few female Olypians,a very fitting title for Blissey

[​IMG]
    Hades (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 128 Def / 252 SAtk / 128 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Pain Split
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    My god I love Rotom-W it completes an amazing role on this team, taking advantage of rain teams, countering most of the common Sandstorm team pokemon, bulky enough to take multiple hits while crippling foes with Will-o-Wisp and has it's own form of recovery in Pain split.
    The EV spread while unusual, has proven to be very effective and the best for it’s specific role on this team. 128 in both defective states in tandem with the bold nature lets it take a beating while handing one right back to the pokemon that is trying to damage it. 252 SAtt lets it hit hard with Rotoms 2 stab moves while it sits there taking a beating. Leftovers
    Unlike the EV spread the move set is very standard, Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt provide excellent Stab moves while offering great coverage at the same time. Will-o-Wisp lets it cripple pokemon like Excadrill, Garchomp, Scizor, (physical) Jirachi Dragonite, Gyarados and many others. Pan split offers an alternative type of healing and also wrecks Bissey and Chancey.

Rotom is named after the Greek God Hades, ruler of Tarterus (the Under wrold) and to many people is protrayed as a ghost like figure, much alike Rotom. Rotom can also be portrayed as the various rivers that surround the Underworld.

[​IMG]
    Zeus (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Fire Punch
    - Dragon Claw
    My team was having a lot of trouble with Conkeldurr and with it being such a common pokemon in the metagame now I needed a counter. I replaced Gyarados with Dragonite for multiple reasons other than just checking Conkeldurr, Gyarados was becoming a drag for the team and was to easily revenged KO'ed by Garchomp and other Pokemon that ran stone edge, or bulky sweepers that have had a turn or more of set up.
    Thanks to Dragonites great bulk and it's amazing DW ability, multiscale, 252 HP ev's and roost dragonite is able to get at least 2 dragon dances and can KO around 2-3 Pokemon before finally being taken down. 44 Atk ev's and an Adamant nature allow it to hit at an average level without having to use dragon dance and 252 speed ev's are need to out speed a number of treats.
    Dragon dance is a obvious on this set, allowing both Dragonites Atk and Spd stats to go through the roof after a single dragon dance. Roost works amazingly well with leftovers and multiscale allowing dragonite to reabuse its ability and give it longer survivability. Dragon claw provides Dragonite with a powerful stab move and Fire Punch lets Dragonite hit steel types that commonly switch in on Dragonite, but does leave the set open to heatran. Dragonite does more than check Conkeldurr, checking various treats and can force switch outs on Garchomp that has been locked into earthquake and in turn a free dragon dance.
    Zeus is the king of the Gods and also the ruler of the sky and heaven, dragonite is very much alike Zeus as they will both strike down their opponents with might force and both are rulers of the sky.
    [​IMG]
    Ares (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+Sa-Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf
    Ares the God of war and blood lust such a fitting name for the beast Game Freak has called Latios. Scarf Lati lets me check all non-scarfed dragons and has the potential to sweep teams if there is damage from rocks or previous attacks. The EV spread is standard for a scarf sweeper, maxed SP Attack for maximum damage and Max Speed for out speeding other scarfed dragons like Garchomp, who is a major treat to my team. Latios takes pride in being able to spam draco metors.
    Latios has an amazing build for a sweeper, 130 Sp attack and 110 Speed and an amazing movepool, gives Latios the qualifications for tidal as the best Special sweeper in the OU metagame. The move set on Latios is standard, but very effective, together all of which are almost unresisted. Draco Metor is the stab of choice and will put a serious dent in anything, including pokemon that resist it and is the fastest way of getting rid of any apposing dragons. Thunderbolt gets great coverage and assists in the down bringing of the infamous Jellithorn combo and lets Latios hit bulky water types hard. HP fire is lets Latios take down any steels types that try to wall Latios and counter many treats like: Scizor, Ferrothorn, Jarichi. Surf is there to hit mainly for better coverage.
    [​IMG]
    Artemis (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

Artemis the Goddess of the hunt, Artemis enjoys chasing and to pursuit her prey and striking quickly and with amazing power. Scizor is my teams main revenge killer and also checks pokemon like Reuniclus. CB Scizor has amazing power and is also quiet bulky, this allows Scizor to be able to hit hard and also take the occasional hit. The ev spread lets it hit hard with 252 Atk to boost it's already impressive attack stat and 248 HP gives it great bulk and the remaining goes into Spd (8 ev).
    The move set for scizor hasn't changed since 4th gen, but is just as effective as it was back then. Bullet Punch is normally the move of choice as it recives a Stab boost, Technician boost rasing it's BP to 90 and gives scizor a priority move. U-turn is the second stab move, letting scizor scout and hit psychic and grass hard. Pursuit its an amazing attack letting me hit pokemon like Jellicent, gengar and others who are switching out and also gets a boost from technician. Superpower gets amazing coverage letting scizor hit blissey and ferrothorn for super effective and normally a OHKO or 2HKO.

Changes & Conclusion
    On the Blissey Set change Softboil and Aromatherapy to Wish and Heal bell to further help the team. All credit for the images goes to Askeis none of them were of my own creation.
    Thank you in advance to anyone that help or gives a rate.
  2. miniman96

miniman96

Offensive Threats

[​IMG] Aerodactyl - Rotoms generally switchs in on earthquake then procceeds to hydro pump or will-o-wisp
    [​IMG] Archeops - Same as above
    [​IMG] Azelf - Blissey to t-wave then scizor to U-turn
    [​IMG] Bisharp - Heatran overheats
    [​IMG] Breloom - Heatran overheats, latios HP fire, scizor U-turns
    [​IMG] Chandelure - Heatran eathpowers, and heatran laughs in it's face
    [​IMG] Conkeldurr - Dragonite sets-up on this then KO's
    [​IMG]Darmanitan - Dragonite earthquakes, latios surf
    [​IMG]Deoxys-S - Don't have a direct counter

[​IMG] Dragonite - Latios draco meteor rotom burns

[​IMG] Electivire - Dragonite earthquake, rotom burns
    [​IMG] Emboar - Dragonite earthquakes, latios surfs, heatran earthpowers
    [​IMG] Empoleon - dragonite eathquakes, heatran earthpowers
    [​IMG]Espeon - Scizor U-turns
    [​IMG] Escavalier - Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Excadrill - A real pain and treat for this team
    [​IMG]Garchomp - Latios draco meteor, rotom can switch in on EQ and burn
    [​IMG]Genesect - Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Gengar - Can be a pain normally I Twave(blissey) then Pursuit (scizor)
    [​IMG] Golurk - Latios surf, Rotom Hydro pumps
    [​IMG] Gyarados - Latios Thunderbolts, Rotom burns
    [​IMG] Haxorus - Latios draco meteor
    [​IMG] Heatran - Latios and rotom, heatran earthpowers if it's not holding a balloon
    [​IMG] Heracross - Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Hydreigon - Latios draco meteor or scizor superpowers
    [​IMG]Infernape - Latios surfs, rotom hydro pumps
    [​IMG] Jirachi - For physical Jarichi, Rotom will-o-wisp then Scizor to KO
    [​IMG] Keldeo - Latios and Rotom Thunderbolt
    [​IMG] Kingdra - Latios Draco Meteor and if physical Rotom burns
    [​IMG] Kyurem - Latios Draco meteor
    [​IMG] Landorus - Latios surfs
    [​IMG]Latios - If it's not scarfed then I Draco Meteor with my Latios

Latias- CM variants are a real pain and one of my main weakness
    [​IMG] Lucario- Rotom to burn then Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Machamp- Dragonite can set-up if it doesn't run Ice punch
    [​IMG] Magnezone - Latios HP fire, heatran earthpowers or dragonie earthquakes
    [​IMG] Mamoswine - Scizor Bullet punch
    [​IMG] Metagross - Dragonite Earthquakes or Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Mienshao - Latios normally will Draco Meteor it as it trys to U-turn
    [​IMG] Reuniclus - Scizr U-turn or Pursuits
    [​IMG] Roserade -Rare, but would Scizor U-turn or Latios HP fire
    [​IMG]Salamence - Latios Draco Meteor
    [​IMG] Sawsbuck - Latios HP fire
    [​IMG] Scizor - Latios HP fire if on rain team it's a problem
    [​IMG] Scrafty- Scizor Superpowers
    [​IMG] Serperior - Scizor U-turns
    [​IMG]Shaymin - Same as above
    [​IMG] Sigilyph - Scizor to U-turn when it goes to burn me then Latios to KO if scizor didn't
    [​IMG] Smeargle - Scizor BP
    [​IMG]Starmie - LO is a problem, but I normally Blissey Thunder wave then Latios thunderbolt
    [​IMG] Terakion - Rotom to Will-o-Wisp then Latios Surf
    [​IMG] Thundurus - same as Tornadus
    [​IMG] Togekiss - Rotom or Latios to Thunderbolt
    [​IMG] Tornadus - Mixed set, Laios or Rotom to Thunderbolt or if Special Blissey Twave then same as mixed set
    [​IMG] Tyranitar - A weakness as it can take a Hydro pump and a Surf then return hit
    [​IMG]Venusaur - Heatran can Overheat it, blissey T-waves then Scizor U-turns
    [​IMG] Victini - Heatran earthpowers
    [​IMG] Virizion - Blissey T-waves it then Scizor U-turns, Heatran can dent it with Overheat then scizor bullet punchs
    [​IMG] Volcarona - Blissey T-waves then Latios and Rotom Hydro and Surf the big bug
    [​IMG] Weavile - Scizor Bullet punchs
    [​IMG] Zoroark - Scizor Superpowers, can be a problem when it copies Gliscor
  3. lordsauron

lordsauron

Shouldn't Rotom-W really be Poseidon not Hades?
  4. Straw Hat

Straw Hat

why is scizor athena?
  5. Stathakis

Stathakis I hax people in real life
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Field Ranger

artemis is the goddess of the hunt, not athena
  6. diciple

diciple

Really? I was using this team with one difference and the same names on P/O.. Nevertheless i doubt you were reading a book about greek gods and just saw my team and copied it. Come on... reading a book about greek gods..? In fact i guarentee your name on PO is mini man because i have versed you at least once.
  7. miniman96

miniman96

Woops sorry fail on my behalf, got names mixed up it is ment to be artemis.

@diciple, I'm sorry if our teams are similar, but I have not copied anyone else's team. I also have no log of playing anyone under the name of diciple. So before you start accussing people of stealing or copying while offering no help toward the team think about whether or not to post.
  8. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I would really suggest Bold over Calm as blissey NEEDS all the defense it gets. Its Special Defense is already great and it's not falling to many unboosted/+1 special hits anytime soon anyway.
  9. miniman96

miniman96

I've found that the 11 point differnece doesn't matter that much on the blissey set as it is normally switching out the minute it sees a Physical attack, but will try with a Bold nature.

Just done some stats on Blissey Bold vs Calm nature
    Garchomp Jolly vs Blissey Calm Outrage = 390-459, 252 Atk ev vs 252/252 HP/DEF
    Garchomp Jolly vs Blissey Bold Outrage = 357- 420 252 Atk ev vs 252/252 HP/DEF
    Dragonite Adamant vs Blissey Calm Outrage = 436-514, 252 Atk vs 252/252 HP/ DEF
    Dragonite Adamant vs Blissey Bold Outrage = 399-471 252 Atk vs 252/252 HP/ DEF

Some differences so I will test with Bold nature. thanks for the help
  10. Arceusderp

Arceusderp

Why is rotom w hades?
    perhaps You could consider outrage on Zeus (Zeus went on many rampages an destroyed or nearly destroyed the world a couple times)

Downf4ll

Have you considered changing EQ on Zeus to Fire Punch? It gives you perfect coverage besides Heatran, but I doubt he's an issue considering the rest of your team.

It would also help against Skarmory and Ferrothorn, two pokes who would wall your whole team if Latios is dead. Since a fire attack is just too predictable from Heatran, they'll switch out to a resist most likely. In fact, Dragons like Dragonite lure in steels like skarm and ferro, so running Fire Punch would help making their walling attempts futile.

EDIT: Forgot that this is DW, so ST Chandelure is an issue if you lose EQ...

Oh wait, Chandelure can't take a hit. I forgot about that :D

+1 44 Atk Dragon Claw on 4/0 Timid Chandelure: 79.3% - 93.5%

And Chandy can't really do shit back if it's 1 on 1. In fact, you could just DD to +2 as he tries to hit you with Shadow Ball doing 47.7% - 56.2% (with LO), or half that when you're at full health. Obviously it doesn't wrk like that since it's rarely ever 1 on 1 in simulators. Well if you switch in you die, but if he's the one switching in then you might even be able to get to +3 if he isn't specs and you predict the switch. In which case gg :D
  12. miniman96

miniman96

Thanks for the rate, your right Skarmory has been giving this team a bit of trouble and on occasions can stall out the team if Heatran is gone. So I will change and test with
    Fire punch

On the topic of Chandelure, Heatran has it amazingly covered, it resists Shadow ball, fireblast and energy ball so tht won't cause much probles if I switch for fire punch on Dragonites set.
    Thanks for the rate

@Excadrill, Rotom is named Hades because many people think of Hades and the underworld as ghost, rotom can also resemble the many rivers running through the underworld. Also at the time when I named them Gyarados was Poseidon so I named Rotom Hades.
  13. miniman96

miniman96

BUMP, can I get any final help with the team. It's been winning around 75% of it's game.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)