Challenge The Orange League - Pokeathlon (Deadline 2/7/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Art by Kadew)
Welcome everyone to Round 4! You should all know the drill by now, but if you don't, check out this thread. So without further ado, let's jump into the next challenge:

~*Challenge*~
This week, we're taking a trip to the Pokeathlon Dome for a Pokeathlon Challenge! This challenge is fun and easy: Get the highest score on Block Smash possible!

(picture taken from Serebii)

Rules and Guidelines:
1. Pokemon HeartGold or Pokemon SoulSilver versions.
2. Please do not submit past scores: go out and get a new one.
3. No glitch abuse, cheats, save state abuse, RNG manipulation, screenshot manipulation, submitting someone else's score as your own, etc. If we have solid reason to believe you have cheated you WILL be permanently disqualified from this round and all future rounds, as well as have your name stricken from the leader board. Also, Hulavuta will cry.
4. No sign-ups required, but posting on this topic if you're interested in competing would be appreciated.
5. All submissions must be in by 11:59PM EST on February 7th, 2014.
6. In the unlikely event of a tie, the person who submitted their score first will win.

Submitting:

Start a Conversation with TheOrangeLeague and send us photographic (screenshots or camera photos) proof of your streak. You can submit as many times as you want.

You can find your score on the bottom screen when the challenge is over. Please do not take a screenshot of the scores in the "Potential" room. The reason for this is to avoid people submitting past scores.

Tips:

1. Enter the Power Challenge to get to this stage quickly, as it is the first game.
2. Since the challenge itself doesn't take long, make sure you take your time to increase your Pokemon's power level.
3. Switch out your Pokemon when they get tired, or else their performance will decrease dramatically.
4. Try not to break the touch screen.

If you have any further questions, first refer to the main topic. If that fails, then contact either Hulavuta or Jimera0 via forum conversation or in #orangeislands.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
if i havent joined any of the older rounds is it cool if i start now? if so ill participate.
Yeah, that's totally cool. That's actually the reason we took out the round numbers from the titles, some people were getting confused about that, haha.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Aigh, this is actually pretty difficult to get really high scores on unless you get the timing down absolutely perfectly. 30 seconds is a super tight window and you have to get the switches JUST right.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
I might give this a shot. It's been a while since I've done anything but the factory on my heartgold version.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am gonna be in.

inb4 there is a tie for the win at the end of the round.

Speaking of which, what happens if that happens? Unless of course it is already codified, in which case, I cannot read.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I am gonna be in.

inb4 there is a tie for the win at the end of the round.

Speaking of which, what happens if that happens? Unless of course it is already codified, in which case, I cannot read.
Already codified in that whoever submits first wins. If two submits are tied, the first person to submit that score wins the round.

Its rules 6 bro, come on :P

I don't know that I have a HGSS game progressed far enough to do this. I may submit, it depends how busy I am this weekend.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am so down. I was pro at Pokeathlon back in the day (in the ancient times of four years ago) and I was thinking about playing my HGSS again a few days ago on the eve of Pokebank.

I got too busy and will not have enough time to participate. I am going to drop out of this round (or competition, or whatever this is called).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so after booting up my old soul silver it turns out that I'm still halfway through a run containing purely of shitmons (Ledian, Smeargle, Wobufett etc) but not the coveted Sunkern. I also haven't bothered to collect many apricorns. If I get some time I'll give it a go with what I have but damn I'm annoyed I transferred all my good stuff over :(

Welp, seems I can't mooch off one of my friends' games this weekend, I might not be able to do this round after all.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright! This was very interesting score-wise, so let's just hop right into it.

First, I'd just like to give a special shout-out to megayokim. He would have placed in 5th, but unfortunately he got his submission in a few minutes after the deadline so I had no choice but to not count it. He scored 128.

So as for the counting scores, here we go:

In 5th place, we have Age of Kings, who scored 124!

In 4th place, we have Its_A_Random who scored 140!

And here's where it really starts to get interesting...

We actually have a three-way tie for first place!

sb879, DHR-107, and cant say all managed to score 150 blocks broken!

Now we did prepare a tie clause for this, so we're going to have to award the victory to the man who submitted first.

cant say submitted the latest so he gets third place. DHR receives second place.

That means that sb879 is our winner for this round! Congratulations!

Make sure to pick up your banner from Stellar and see you all at next week's challenge!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh wow congrats sb879! Damn gotta admit I'm a little disappointed that I didn't try to improve on that score now that I've seen it was so close! I swear I had veins popping out of my arm by the time I reached the 150 and my screen was begging for it to be over. I liked this challenge though because it's Pokeathlon it was quick and you could retry a bunch of times easily. Does anyone want to divulge their strategy for this? I was stuck with a half-played save with Meganium, Steelix (Rocky) and the Shiny Gyara, who luckily enough all had max power, I bought some of what's-her-name's stam juice and we were good to go. I'm wondering how important the speed stat was though, all my 'mons had 1 star there. Does it help you smash more blocks faster?

Oh wow congrats sb879! Damn gotta admit I'm a little disappointed that I didn't try to improve on that score now that I've seen it was so close! I swear I had veins popping out of my arm by the time I reached the 150 and my screen was begging for it to be over. I liked this challenge though because it's Pokeathlon it was quick and you could retry a bunch of times easily. Does anyone want to divulge their strategy for this? I was stuck with a half-played save with Meganium, Steelix (Rocky) and the Shiny Gyara, who luckily enough all had max power, I bought some of what's-her-name's stam juice and we were good to go. I'm wondering how important the speed stat was though, all my 'mons had 1 star there. Does it help you smash more blocks faster?
the speed stat is irrelevant as far as i can tell, it's based solely on your tapping speed.

my team was initially groudon/steelix/gyarados i had lying around, with gyarados having a shake to make its power maxed. my initial strategy was just to tap the screen as fast as possible indiscriminately, switching out as needed, and hope i could hit as many of the indents as possible so i could go into hyper mode (where your pokemon goes red). this is where i got my high score, but i thought i could improve it (that went well, clearly).

at first i tried to hit the indents with precision so i could guarantee going into hyper mode. obviously the problem is that your initial taps are much slower, but i noticed that if i could get into hyper mode at around ~20-30 blocks broken, i could then ride out hyper mode for another 60 blocks, which made it more advantageous unless you got *very* lucky. the plan was to do this twice- even though it would seem i wouldn't have enough to time to finish the second hyper mode, it should still have been able to get to ~160 blocks. unfortunately, i noticed that upgrading to the stronger modes seems to be semi-random. obviously hitting more indents help, but the amount i needed to hit didn't seem to be consistent to upgrade. because i had more success going into hyper mode with groudon than steelix (my 2nd mon) no matter how i ordered them, i suspect that the skill stat influences how likely you are to get stronger (groudon's 5 star vs steelix's 1 star skill). so i hopped on to my pearl and looked up legendary pokeathlon stats, and assembled a team that could have 5 star strength/skill/stamina with appropriate drinks, which ended up being groudon/regirock/dialga. buuuut i could never pull this strategy off perfectly :x i had one kinda close attempt, where i got into hyper mode at ~30 blocks with groudon but not until ~40 with regirock. i tied my 150 score and was quite literally moving the stylus for the 151th, but i just missed it.

finally, i decided to combine these strategies by looking at the indents as the blocks fell down, and, with the exception of the initial tap (where i could clearly see where to aim for the indent), tried to mash the stylus in the area where i saw the most indents in the general vicinity. i managed to tie my high score twice with this strategy. anyways that's about it, just ended up getting tired of rapid-fire tapping honestly.

(this went on kinda long, heh :x)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
the speed stat is irrelevant as far as i can tell, it's based solely on your tapping speed.

my team was initially groudon/steelix/gyarados i had lying around, with gyarados having a shake to make its power maxed. my initial strategy was just to tap the screen as fast as possible indiscriminately, switching out as needed, and hope i could hit as many of the indents as possible so i could go into hyper mode (where your pokemon goes red). this is where i got my high score, but i thought i could improve it (that went well, clearly).

at first i tried to hit the indents with precision so i could guarantee going into hyper mode. obviously the problem is that your initial taps are much slower, but i noticed that if i could get into hyper mode at around ~20-30 blocks broken, i could then ride out hyper mode for another 60 blocks, which made it more advantageous unless you got *very* lucky. the plan was to do this twice- even though it would seem i wouldn't have enough to time to finish the second hyper mode, it should still have been able to get to ~160 blocks. unfortunately, i noticed that upgrading to the stronger modes seems to be semi-random. obviously hitting more indents help, but the amount i needed to hit didn't seem to be consistent to upgrade. because i had more success going into hyper mode with groudon than steelix (my 2nd mon) no matter how i ordered them, i suspect that the skill stat influences how likely you are to get stronger (groudon's 5 star vs steelix's 1 star skill). so i hopped on to my pearl and looked up legendary pokeathlon stats, and assembled a team that could have 5 star strength/skill/stamina with appropriate drinks, which ended up being groudon/regirock/dialga. buuuut i could never pull this strategy off perfectly :x i had one kinda close attempt, where i got into hyper mode at ~30 blocks with groudon but not until ~40 with regirock. i tied my 150 score and was quite literally moving the stylus for the 151th, but i just missed it.

finally, i decided to combine these strategies by looking at the indents as the blocks fell down, and, with the exception of the initial tap (where i could clearly see where to aim for the indent), tried to mash the stylus in the area where i saw the most indents in the general vicinity. i managed to tie my high score twice with this strategy. anyways that's about it, just ended up getting tired of rapid-fire tapping honestly.

(this went on kinda long, heh :x)
I actually didn't know about the 'hyper mode' until it happened randomly to me during this contest! Because I never paid attention to the cracks and would just blindly tap. Then when I started looking for them I got too slow to actually smash enough blocks, so I went back to my old strategy (or lack thereof). I hit 150 a few times but couldn't break it, I nearly convinced myself that there was actually a cap and that it was the highest you could get lol. But my arm was legit getting so tired from flailing at the screen I would sometimes actually miss everything, and quite often my 'switch' button on the screen was unresponsive as well which was kinda frustrating. But anyway pretty pleased overall. Hope I can do just as well in the next challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)