Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like it would make more sense to explain why not to pick theorymons before the voting is over...

Gale Wings improves Salamence's other abilities as mentioned above. Having 3 great abilities means you will not know what type of salamence is switching in, not to mention that Gale Wings can be used both offensively and defensively. Playing incorrectly could mean your team gets swept, because salamence with a moxie boost is still incredibly strong even if outclassed. Of course it will be difficult to see this in the theorymon testing as everyone will be trying out gale wings and there will be less use of the other two abilities.
You can give any pokemon a third ability and get a similar result, this makes no case for making Salamence any better whatsoever, especially when the third ability we are giving it is still worse than the two it had already, all things considered. If we are unable to say why a change makes a pokemon good specifically, that means the change was arbitrary or outclassed by other potential alterations. If at the very least Salamence had access to Aeroblast/Hurricane there would be a distinct difference in Gale Wing's usefulness but this ability does nothing to help Salamence stand out in a positive enough way from his competition.

It isn't unfair to say this is no Tough Claws Drapion or Poison Heal Snorlax here. It's ok to state disappointment when it can be shown how little benefit a theoreymon actually would be. We'd best just not harp on it or be unecessarily vitriolic regarding the people who voted for it. I would however like to see rationale alongside a vote, as a means of interesting discussion at the very least, but also to possibly prevent relatively poor nominations like this in the future.

It's not for opposing Taunt-users, it's for opposing sweepers who will most likely be faster than Salamence. Offensive teams rely on revenging (by either Speed, Priority, or Sashes) for "defense" and GW Salamence makes this job easier for teammates by their boosting speed and/or keeping their sashes intact.

I agree 100%. This little niche isn't worth wasting a theorymon on (especially on a Pokemon with as much potential as Salamence), I just felt it was necessary to explain where my head was at when I made my misguided vote. Truthfully, I kind of picked it by default because:
  • Snow Warning Kyurem is pretty useless. (It has great flavor, but other than anti-weather, I just don't see what it does. BlizzSpam is far from viable... it was bad last generation and even worse now that Blizzard has 110 BP.)
  • I'm not a fan of Baton Pass (and wasn't looking to buff it with Musharna.)
  • I didn't want to vote for my suggestion.
Snow Warning Kyurem is not useless lmao, just spam Blizzard. The 10 BP Difference affects what exactly? I genuinely want to know, because so did Thunderbolt but it is still common as hell (albeit only 5)

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Snow Warning Kyurem is not useless lmao, just spam Blizzard. The 10 BP Difference affects what exactly? I genuinely want to know, because so did Thunderbolt but it is still common as hell (albeit only 5)
And to back you up, Draco Meteor got nerfed by 10 points, not to mention that the Fairy-type now exists, yet Specs Latios still spams it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No offense but I really don't like this theorymon. Are we that desperate to give Mence some sort of slight niche over the other Dragons to a point where we're giving it an ability that would allow it to spam a priority 60 BP weak as fuck Flying move? No, don't even tell me that a bulky Defog set would be good. Why in the right mind would you ever want to use Defog Mence over Latios, Latias, Zapdos, or Mandibuzz? It doesn't have nearly as much useful resistances as the Lati twins or Zapdos, nor does it have the insane amount of bulk or defensive utility that Mandibuzz has. Priority Defog could have potential clutch moments I guess, but is it really THAT worth using over the other amazing defoggers in the tier that have other useful niches outside of just using Defog?

First off, a few of the Pokemon you listed aren't OHKOed by Aerial Ace without some significant residual damage.

252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 200-238 (69.9 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 157-187 (65.1 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Also, I'm a bit confused with your EV spread. If the goal of this set is to not be a complete joke against offensive teams, why are you letting it get outrun by basically anything that doesn't give a single fuck about Aerial Ace? Many Pokemon such as Excadrill, Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, Bisharp, Kyurem-B, Landorus-T, and Dragonite outspeed it and destroy it, and most of them are very commonly seen on offensive teams.

While Salamence has more "overall" power than Talonflame with its other moves, Talon's Brave Bird is still the much better option when it comes to reliably revenge killing Pokemon on offensive teams.

252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 181-214 (75.1 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 256-303 (106.2 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's not even a competition. Talonflame is meant to function as a revenge killer, while your set seems to be geared more towards wallbreaking. Offensive teams are still a thorn in Mence's side because there are still a lot of Pokemon on offense that gives zero shits about a piss weak move. Talonflame's brute force still makes it more of a hassle for offensive teams because it's able to overwhelm them with nuking Brave Birds, Flare Blitz, or U-turning into something else. It doesn't need anything else to be dangerous. Talon also has the advantage of having very high Speed, which keeps it from having to spam Brave Bird all the time. All in all, it would still not be a better tool against offensive teams than Talonflame.

Last but not least, with the exception of Talonflame, all of these Pokemon need to be HEAVILY weakened if you want the DD set to be able to bypass them, especially the latter two.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 136 Def Mega Scizor: 146-173 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 144-170 (48 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And giving up valuable coverage just to hit Talonflame and a few other goons a tiny bit harder isn't really worth being walled by Steel-types like Skarmory or Heatran. DD Mence would still be pretty garbage.

All in all, Gale Wings really doesn't do much for Mence outside of just giving it something to pick off very frail Pokemon and a very select few Pokemon on offense. I would go as far to say that in most instances it other abilities would still be superior. Intimidate gives it a few set up opportunities if you're balsy enough to use Mence in OU, while Moxie lets it clean up easier if you manage to get rid of every revenge killer. I know that we're trying to be a bit creative here, but I don't see how Gale Wings Mence is better then just giving it fucking Brave Bird, which would at least give it a very powerful secondary STAB move to spam on Scarf or DD sets. Or just go all out and give it Aerilate ffs.

I just feel like some of these theorymons have been pretty subpar overall. Like Electric/Dark Luxray I almost thought it was some kind of joke or something. How would a simple retyping make something as shitty as Luxray OU viable? Isn't the goal of this thread to make something a lot more OU viable, not just more viable in general? Do more stuff like Ghost/Fairy Mismagius or Tough Claws Drapion, at least those things have a lot more potential then a shitty Electric-type that finally gets to have a STAB Crunch.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I'm just so confused as to how something like Gale Wings Mence is being theorymoned over a million other better possibilities.
I know most of those Pokemon aren't OHKOed by Aerial Ace, the point is to revenge kill them after SR and a couple of LO rounds.

Of course Talonflame is a better priority user and better against offense in general, but Salamence can power through some defensive cores way easier, and has no problem 2HKOing Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Slowbro, physically defensive Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Rocky Helmet physically defensive Garchomp, Mandibuzz, and Zapdos, which surely must count for something. One of Salamence's biggest problems in this generation has been lack of Speed and thus lack of usefulness against faster foes, which combined with his not so great wallbreaking skills made it mostly outclassed. However, the ability to act as a decent wallbreaker while being able to KO many faster threats with some previous damage makes it more viable than before.

About my spread, you are right about outspeeding those Pokemon, and Atk would probably be the best place to take EVs from, that's why i stated that the EV spread was made pretty hastily and was not optimized at all.

I agree that Aerial Ace wouldn't be so great on DD sets, but it's an extra option that is worth looking into, seeing as Talonflame is the main revenge killer for some offensive teams.

And yes, i would pick decently hard hitting priority over lol Moxie (have fun getting two consecutive kills with Salamence), or Intimidate, which is not that great on wallbreaker Salamence anyway, as Salamence usually likes to come in against defensive Pokemon that can't do much back, or weak pivots, or after something gets KOed.

Finally, the goal of this thread is to make the Pokemon we choose more viable than before, or viable in general if they weren't before. To what degree we succeed in doing this depends on many factors, such as quality of submissions, my own judgment, and quality of voters. Sometimes we manage to come up with great OU Pokemon, sometimes not, it's just how it goes.

If this many people are complaining about such an obviously inferior choice, why is the answer a warning for them to stop instead of, perhaps, conceding that it's a bad mon (as you yourself are even seeming to admit) and moving on to a new bunch that might make for actual positive discussion?

If you're not willing to allow people to be critical of bad theorymons (note: criticizing is not "bitching"), then discussion will just stop until the next round anyway. Might as well speed up the process and keep this thread productive.
If by being critical you mean one liners such as 'this theorymon sucks', then no, i don't want this kind of criticism in this thread. There is a reason we have a process and i just don't do anything i want, and my job is to make sure this process is followed correctly. I don't care if you or other people don't find this theorymon interesting, it's what the majority of us decided to talk about and you must respect that. And i definitely allow anyone to be as critical as he wants about any theorymon, as long as he actually posts something other than 'this theorymon sucks''. That's the point of discussing the theorymon in the first place, to see how bad or good it would be if it existed.

tl;dr if you want post something constructive, otherwise wait until the next voting stage, simple as that.

Last edited:
Why dont you guys man up and propose dry skin or water absorb camerupt already? all the other suggestions sucked. ive been on this forum for more than 5 years and I rarely post.

For what its worth on gale wings salamence, I would try something like:

252 Hp, 252 Attack
Adamant
@Leftovers/Sharp Beak
Fly
EQ
Roost
Dragon Dance

I used fly on mega aerodactyl and it got me to over 1600 so this should also do pretty well once the other team is weakened

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why dont you guys man up and propose dry skin or water absorb camerupt already? all the other suggestions sucked. ive been on this forum for more than 5 years and I rarely post.

252 Hp, 252 Attack
Adamant
@Leftovers/Sharp Beak
Fly
EQ
Roost
Dragon Dance

I used fly on mega aerodactyl and it got me to over 1600 so this should also do pretty well once the other team is weakened
If you want to post a suggestion, pm that to alexwolf.

252 Hp, 252 Attack
Adamant
@Leftovers/Sharp Beak
Fly
EQ
Roost
Dragon Dance

...because its been sent already (by me) and has not been picked by Axel, thus not suitable or there are better suggestions than that.

And may I ask the purpose of the set? It is able to boost to hit some things hard, but if say they send something you cant hit with Earthquake, you use fly, which can then lead them to do a hell of a lot of stuff from set up to just plain bait. Im just trying to understand the set.

I am yet to try it out, HOWEVER, if galewings can turn TF, a mon w/ crippling flaws, into such a force to be reckoned with, why then would it not turn salamence into an absolute monster? As mentioned above, it keeps your opponent guessing, as well as granting him a form of priority, something many mons would kill for?

...because its been sent already (by me) and has not been picked by Axel, thus not suitable or there are better suggestions than that.

And may I ask the purpose of the set? It is able to boost to hit some things hard, but if say they send something you cant hit with Earthquake, you use fly, which can then lead them to do a hell of a lot of stuff from set up to just plain bait. Im just trying to understand the set.
It would be mostly used to clean up teams in the late game. If they switch to something you cant hit with earquake, you would still inflict massive damage and would KO if weakened. Lots of things stop this obviously, skarm, quag, thundurus, zapdos, ttar, and lots of other ones. well that was my attempt at making use of gale wings, i guess it wasnt very good.

I am yet to try it out, HOWEVER, if galewings can turn TF, a mon w/ crippling flaws, into such a force to be reckoned with, why then would it not turn salamence into an absolute monster? As mentioned above, it keeps your opponent guessing, as well as granting him a form of priority, something many mons would kill for?
brave bird, fire stab synchronizes with gale wings

It would be mostly used to clean up teams in the late game. If they switch to something you cant hit with earquake, you would still inflict massive damage and would KO if weakened. Lots of things stop this obviously, skarm, quag, thundurus, zapdos, ttar, and lots of other ones. well that was my attempt at making use of gale wings, i guess it wasnt very good.
Its fine, I was more replying due to seeing someone else besides me thinking of the heath of Dry Skin Camerupt. Thought it would be better than a like.

And if it worked with Mega Aero, id imagine due to its more power being influential, but with Salamence (God I hate this dragon) he may be better served with Fly on a defensively set. Not saying it doesn't work, but boosting set doesn't look like good idea of roost.

When a Gale Wings Pokemon uses Fly, are both turns given priority? Or is it the same deal as Prankster+Assist+Dive/Fly/Whatever was last gen where the charge turn had priority but not the second turn?

If the second turn doesn't get priority, it could have some interesting applications. Maybe not super-useful applications, but interesting ones.

Its fine, I was more replying due to seeing someone else besides me thinking of the heath of Dry Skin Camerupt. Thought it would be better than a like.

And if it worked with Mega Aero, id imagine due to its more power being influential, but with Salamence (God I hate this dragon) he may be better served with Fly on a defensively set. Not saying it doesn't work, but boosting set doesn't look like good idea of roost.
well i was more thinking water absorb. imagine a camel getting damaged in the desert because it had dry skin.
When a Gale Wings Pokemon uses Fly, are both turns given priority? Or is it the same deal as Prankster+Assist+Dive/Fly/Whatever was last gen where the charge turn had priority but not the second turn?

If the second turn doesn't get priority, it could have some interesting applications. Maybe not super-useful applications, but interesting ones.
interesting? Lol more like overpowered. you would basically shrink your speed to minimum and hold a item that cuts your speed. then proceed to sweep as nothing hits you other than gust, whirlwind, hurricane, and toxic on poison pokemon

interesting? Lol more like overpowered. you would basically shrink your speed to minimum and hold a item that cuts your speed. then proceed to sweep as nothing hits you other than gust, whirlwind, hurricane, and toxic on poison pokemon
That's basically how the gimmick worked last generation, but there are good reasons you didn't see them all over the place. In addition to how the Prankster setup required other Pokemon to have the offending moves (and I believe only the offending moves,) it's possible to out PP stall with switching, Protect, etc.

Of course, this is all meaningless discussion if GW Fly doesn't work that way, so if someone could confirm or deny that I'd appreciate it.

i honestly thought this wouldn't be so great but then you realize, he gets a base 90 priority move off of a ridiculous base attack stat. I mean, don't 2 other pokemon get the same thing? (Scizor and Breloom). This adds another decent revenge killer. Let's look at this simple set:

Salamence @ Choice Band
Gale Wings / Naughty
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Aerial Ace
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Blast

It's simple and it'll probably be effective. As we have learned the past 2 gens, Flying is a really good offensive type. While it's not Talonflame's Brave Bird, Salamence also gets the options of Dragon STAB (arguably the 2nd best offensive STAB to have) and options to get around those pokemon who resist it unlike Talonflame. It has base 90 priority, you just can't go wrong. He can also run a very solid Dragon Dance set with this. He could throw it on a special attacking set to finish off weaker enemies. I think the main problem he will have with this is that he doesn't have many support options. While him having priority defog is cool, he doesn't have the bulk to constantly use it and will probably be more of a momentum killer if anything. It's not a very creative buff for him but it's probably an effective buff to have.

Well god damn guys, I was hoping for some better responses to my fuck up.

Last edited:
i honestly thought this wouldn't be so great but then you realize, he gets a base 90 priority move off of a ridiculous base attack stat. I mean, don't 2 other pokemon get the same thing? (Scizor and Breloom). This adds another decent revenge killer. Let's look at this simple set:

Salamence @ Choice Band
Gale Wings / Adamant
252 Naughty / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Aerial Ace
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Blast

It's simple and it'll probably be effective. As we have learned the past 2 gens, Flying is a really good offensive type. While it's not Talonflame's Brave Bird, Salamence also gets the options of Dragon STAB (arguably the 2nd best offensive STAB to have) and options to get around those pokemon who resist it unlike Talonflame. It has base 90 priority, you just can't go wrong. He can also run a very solid Dragon Dance set with this. He could throw it on a special attacking set to finish off weaker enemies. I think the main problem he will have with this is that he doesn't have many support options. While him having priority defog is cool, he doesn't have the bulk to constantly use it and will probably be more of a momentum killer if anything. It's not a very creative buff for him but it's probably an effective buff to have.
I really like your set and it makes more sense compared to mine

however, you may want to either sleep or get checked for dyslexia: 252 naughty (does it make attract more powerful?) stat and 90 base priority (45 times faster than extremespeed)

Comparing Salamence's Aerial Ace to other priority attacks not belonging to the most powerful priority pokemon in the meta:

252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%)

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.1%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%)

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) (changed mew typing to grass for this one, just to show the comparison of if they are hitting neutrally)

Its clearly more than strong enough to be used as a revenge killing tool when stuff like azumarill is widely chosen for this ability too.. also, it achieves similar power with a life orb to the non-mega threats do with a choice band. That means it can dragon dance on a switch and threaten with an extremely powerful dragon claw/outrage. There's no way that GW Salamence wouldnt be OU viable.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Comparing Salamence's Aerial Ace to other priority attacks not belonging to the most powerful priority pokemon in the meta:

252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%)
Using choice band for both pokemon would be a good first step, even if it's not viable on salamence.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.1%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%)

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) (changed mew typing to grass for this one, just to show the comparison of if they are hitting neutrally)

Its clearly more than strong enough to be used as a revenge killing tool when stuff like azumarill is widely chosen for this ability too.. also, it achieves similar power with a life orb to the non-mega threats do with a choice band. That means it can dragon dance on a switch and threaten with an extremely powerful dragon claw/outrage. There's no way that GW Salamence wouldnt be OU viable.
Oh my god THANK YOU for using calculations there were quite a lot of people saying stuff that could actually be disproved by calculations. Although this does call for prio attacks from real meta/boosted pokes. For example, aegis never gets on without +2, +4, or even +6, and he's easy to boost up to that level. Let's see...
+4 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 476-564 (117.8 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 213-252 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 238-282 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 193-228 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salamence Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So, with all pokes having proper boosts, Mence is actually in the middle. Needless to say, though, it fulfills its roll. BTW, I felt no need to mention Azumarill after belly drum.
EDIT: Aegis is treated as super in this so u can half that.

Last edited:
As a revenge killer, no-one will be boosting their stats. Aerial ace is already known to not be the best tool for sweeping. Its obviously true that +4 aegislash hits harder than salamence, and I feel like that calc is somewhat unnecessary :p

I dont think anything can sweep with just raw damage from priority moves apart from talonflame with band, and when you compare them for their revenge killing potential salamence hits the 4th hardest in all of OU (behind aforementioned talonflame, CB Scizor and the rare CB breloom) which is good- Also, flying priority is arguably a lot more effective in OU than both fighting and steel right now.
Aerial ace is still move than good enough to wipe a weakened team, and Salamence offers a unique double STAB and a very rare ability to go mixed for a priority user in OU- something I think is unique to him and Aegislash

Last edited:
As a revenge killer, no-one will be boosting their stats. Aerial ace is already known to not be a good tool for sweeping
All I am saying is that with the normal level of boosts Mence is not the best prio, and it is normal for many pokes to boost. Also, what would mence do to stop their boosting?

What I meant was, if you switch in aegislash to revenge kill a scary threat, it doesnt get a chance to use swords dance because it needs to use Shadow Sneak that turn. If you compare all of these priority users on just their ability to deal damage right off the bat (which is a fair way to compare them as it occurs in the situation I mentioned above) then Salamence is actually pretty impressive. However if you compare their ability to sweep with priority, he is outclassed by stuff like Scizor etc due to their access to sword's dance/belly drum. Sorry for not being clear, I was referring to not being given the time to boost due to the urgency to revenge a threat who will otherwise ohko

I'm not sure if a special attacking set is viable or not, but it might be an interesting lure for all of the physical walls that usually switch into Salamence. LO HP Flying is a guaranteed OHKO on Mega Pinsir.

Salamence @ Life Orb/ Choice Specs
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)