Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lol, I've been a lurker for a while, and I guess I had to intervene when the voting included my favourite Pokemon - Absol. So I vote for Absol + Dark/Fairy Typing

Dragalge + Agility

heal bell bronzong is cool but isn't enough of a buff. dark/fairy absol is amazing but for some reason i don't really like it... might be too generic i guess. KS slowking is really original and fun from a flavor perspective (good idea Pipotchi )but again i don't know if it'll help that much. agility dragalge would be a cool mon to build around, it's a pretty simple yet interesting buff, and idk i like dragalge i guess.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So, I really wasn't sure what to pick this slate. I don't really like King's Shield. Agility Dragalge doesn't actually seem like a marked improvement for Dragalge, since it means Draco Meteor is out. Heal Bell Bronzong was my suggestion, and I still like it, but I agree with everyone that it won't actually make a real impact on the metagame.

So that leaves Dark/Fairy Mega-Absol, which I'm voting for not because it's a Lati counter, but because really, fuck Knock Off. 4x Dark resist is pretty sweet, considering how Knock Off is probably the second-most spammed move in the game right now.

Well well well--Look who's calling the votes this time.

I'M BACK BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We all apologize for the long wait. We had to make sure we had a good slate before calling the votes. Without further ado, I present your winner for this slate.

+ Dark/Fairy Typing

The results of the voting were as follows…

Mega Absol + Dark/Fairy Typing: 34 (what the actual fuck)
Slowking + Kings Shield: 11
Dragalge + Agility: 6
Bronzong + Heal Bell: 3

Congratulations to Phione , Recreant , and Sacrificial Lambtias for winning this slate!

On to the next order of business…Ladies and Mentlegen, we have another slate…

+ Moxie (Credit goes to Sacrificial Lambtias )

+ Sand Rush (Credit goes to escarlata )
+ Spikes
+ Electrify

This slate has some exciting and fun things on it. You know what to do…

DISCUSS

Last edited:
Well well well--Look who's calling the votes this time.

I'M BACK BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We all apologize for the long wait. We had to make sure we had a good slate before calling the votes. Without further ado, I present your winner for this slate.

+ Dark/Fairy Typing

The results of the voting were as follows…

Mega Absol + Dark/Fairy Typing: 34 (what the actual fuck)
Slowking + Kings Shield: 11
Dragalge + Agility: 6
Bronzong + Heal Bell: 3

Congratulations to Phione , Recreant , and Sacrificial Lambtias for winning this slate!

On to the next order of business…Ladies and Mentlegen, we have another slate…

+ Moxie (Someone gets credit, but we have lost track of whom D: please come forth if this is your idea)

+ Sand Rush
+ Spikes
+ Electrify

This slate has some exciting and fun things on it. You know what to do…

DISCUSS
Weavile is Sacrificial Lambtias 's entry
I'll give my thoughts in a few minutes, once I get onto the computer
Also wtf does Electrify even do

Aight thanks :)

Electrify turns moves used after it into Electric type :O
So you can just spam that move if you're faster and you can just keep getting the Motor Drive boost over and over again? That's pretty neat.
Does it affect non-attacking moves like Toxic?

EDIT: It has Lightningrod too? Damn, that's pretty powerful. I'm hyped for that one, honestly

So you can just spam that move if you're faster and you can just keep getting the Motor Drive boost over and over again? That's pretty neat.
Does it affect non-attacking moves like Toxic?
It also works with Lightningrod, and I'm not positive about Toxic, but I believe yes.

1) escarlata submitted Cacturne btw.

Second, lot of fun options we got to debate on this time between nice sand offense partner, new offensive spiker, lightning rod abuser, and just moxie...

Lot of fun today

What the fuck is Spikes Pidgeot? Apparently it is something cool.
Electrify Zebstrika sounds....cool? I guess a free +1 is nice, but it is still weak as balls and I see no reason to use this over Manectric.
Sand Rush Cacturne is pretty sweet, though lacks the speed to outspeed scarfers, it has a bad typing(good in sand I guess), and doesn't hit too hard. But still, SD+SuckerPunch+Grass Stab+Sand Rush sounds pretty deadly.
Do we even need to discuss Moxie Weavile? Everyone here knows it is going to win, and with good reason. It has priority, STAB Knock Off, solid Ice STAB, good coverage, and great speed and attack to abuse Moxie. This is broken and the vote isn't even going to be close, why do we need to discuss again?

Since I voted last time, I should probably give my thoughts on these for change.
  • Weavile: O lord, the cleaning abilities. It basically turns into a Lucario that doesn't need to find an opening to set up SD. While it doesn't lose a lot of its old cons, it is most definitely a solid cleaner that could get really ridiculous really quickly. In terms of things I'd want to abuse, it's definitely on the top of the list. It may not be my favorite in terms of what I'd want added to the meta, but by god I'd love to abuse this.
  • Cacturne: While I like don't really like the shared fighting weakness, having something that can tank Water and Ground attacks is actually a huge boon. I think a huge issue with Sand Teams is the fact that to use a Sand core you have to spend another 3-4 slots dealing with the compounded weaknesses, so having something to switch into Water and Ground attacks for sand teams would be a huge benefit to the meta, especially since the only other 2 Sand Rushers are just not good. Killing Keldeo the Sand Killer is also a nice touch. I think this one is my current favorite
  • M-Pidgeot: I'm a bit split on this one. On paper it seems like it loses to a lot of defoggers and Spinners 1v1, but then again while it may lose to them, they also get wrecked in the process, which may not always be worth it for the opponent.
  • Zebstrika: While the combo is neat, at some point you have to stop using it, and while Zebstrika's attack isn't bad, its movepool seems almost too dry to take advantage of it, and while its special movepool is better, its special attack is rather low. It just seems like this would result in it getting revenge killed too easily after the speed boosts.Okay, so at first I assumed that it was using Motor Drive instead of Lightning Rod, which makes this one a little better, though I think that it still has that same problem of eventually having to attack, and its bulk is not exactly admirable. Interesting combo overall, but it seems like every scarfer on the planet can revenge kill it, and unlike Greninja it lacks the immediate power to punish switch-ins.

Last edited:
Electrify Zebstrika sounds....cool? I guess a free +1 is nice, but it is still weak as balls and I see no reason to use this over Manectric
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 78-94 (22.1 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 57-68 (16.1 - 19.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 Zebstrika is much stronger lol, people need to realize lightning rod boosts spa

Moxie weavile is not broken because so many things can stop it lol (stealth rock metagross gyarados keldeo just off my head) but it's still probs going to be really good.

Spikes Pidgeot is my favorite. It wears down its checks/counters much easily and it will be the best momentum grabber in the metagame imo.

Sand Rush Cacturne is better when escarlata explains it:

Would like to nominate Sand Rush Cacturne for Theorymon project.
Simply put, sand offense is much less effective than it used to be because there are so many things in the meta that can easily put Excadrill to a stop, such as Azumarill, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Celebi, just to name some from A- and above on the viability ranking, where there certainly are more in the lower ranks such as Bronzong. By Sand Rush to Cacturne, it can effectively eliminate lots of stuff which Excadril has problem with, with its Sucker Punch, Seed Bomb, or Low Kick; or even run a specially offensive set to nail physically defensive stuff that walls Excadrill (Dark Pulse 2HKOs Skarmory on the switch for instance). Being a Grass type, Cacturne is also capable of absorbing the common Water types for sand offense, such as taking Keldeo Hydro Pumps etc. I believe this would give sand offense a new leash of life and some versatility. As for flavor-wise, Cacturne gets Sand Veil, so it isn't much of a stretch to give it Sand Rush.

pidgeot's fun with spikes to wear thing's down
wevile wins as in it can clean realy well one certain things are removed(scizor/metagross/conkeldoor a few others)

Weavile + Moxie
Weavile could be a pretty good cleaner. At least a lot better than Pickpocket or Pressure lol. Common mons like Thundurus and Lati twins all fall to it's Ice Shard and Knock Off respectively, while it also a great speed tier. Also has pretty spammable moves like Knock Off and Icicle Crash. Weavile's main problem was "weavile syndrome", where it has a great movepool and speed, but just doesn't hit as hard as you want it to be. Moxie definitely fixes this. Essentially, every time weavile gets a kill, on top of the LO boost, it gets a free choice band, while being able to switch moves. A common way to deal with weavile is to sack something to it, and bring in something that can take a hit and OHKO back. Now your opponent can't sack something because then you're giving weavile a moxie boost, and then you're screwed. Split between this one and spikes pidgeot.

Cacturne + Sand Rush
This is kind of interesting. It makes lots of sense flavor wise, since it's a cactus so it lives in the desert. Although cacti isn't very fast. It has the ability to go mixed, with decent 115 mixed attacking stats. It gets SD and nasty plot too, but that pretty much confines it to running a nasty plot set since I'd say excadrill is just better at going with SD. It's weak to birdspam though, and even after the sand rush boosts it's forced to run jolly or get outsped by common scarfers like lando-t. Unlike excadrill though, it's pretty much deadweight outside of sandrush (although sucker punch helps a bit) due to it's low speed.

Pidgeot + Spikes
Probably my favorite. Doesn't really make much sense flavor wise though, since idk how a burd gets spikes but what the fuck golurk gets fly so yeah. This is kind of similar to greninja in a way, great speed tier (even better with the frog gone), good offensive spiker. It can easily come in on something it forces out like Ferrothorn, and then use that switch to set up spikes. Pidgeot didn't really have a good 4th moveslot, since roost and defog just aren't good on it, so spikes could be a great addition to it's movepool.

Zebstrika + Electrify
Since I'm assuming that you can't get two boosts from motor drive/lightning rod, (that's how it works for flash fire), this isn't actually as good as it sounds. Zebstrika's special attack is pretty sucky at base 80, and by running electrify and lightning rod/motor drive, you're essentially giving it either a choice scarf or a choice specs. Zebstrika is already decently fast, so lightning rod would be the preferred ability. A base 80 special attack mon with a choice specs equipped just doesn't sound very promising to me. Don't really like this one :/ Ok, so apparently you can boost all the way up to +6, so yeah disregard the above. This is actually pretty OP then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)