Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to keep this brief. It's rather difficult to judge this slate, mostly because the different weather styles are vastly disparate in viability.

Drought Virizion: I like this quite a bit. Synthesis becomes a great method of recovery, but is still somewhat limited because of its low PP. Solarbeam is great, and Viri doesn't need Giga Drain anymore due to the extra recovery from boosted Synthesis. HOWEVER, sun is something of a double edged sword for Grass-types due to the increase in fire attacks' power. That being said, Viri gets Close Combat for Heatran, although a Drought Viri user would run the risk of empowering Talonflame. Stone Edge mitigates this somewhat. It's good, but I'm not sure it's the best.

Snow Warning Glaceon: I really wish GF would buff hail; a Def boost to Ice-types (mirroring the S.Def boost to Rock-types in sandstorm) would be a consummation most devoutly to be wished, but that's irrelevant. As it is, Hail is not good, and Glaceon is SR weak, meaning that you lose 1/4 health switching in to set hail. Perfect accuracy Blizzard is good, but you'd need Specs to maximize its effect, and I prefer weather setters to be more support-oriented. Blame GF.

Sand Stream Cradily: What's Cradily, yo? I like this one too; Cradily has great synergy with Excadrill as it doesn't stack a weakness to Water, and isn't as weak to Fighting as T-Tar. The Grass STAB is great for sucking massive amounts of health from Azu and M-Luvdisc Alomomola, although Keldeo could still ruin its fun with Secret Sword. The main problem I have with Cradily is its major lack of offensive presence as compared to T-Tar or Hippo. Still very good, though.

Drizzle Blastoise: This is my favorite, mostly because it offers massive offensive presence via its M-Evo late-game. Its bulk is good compared to Politoed, but it probably wouldn't want to hold a Damp Rock, so it would need a secondary rain-setter, which isn't too hard to find (Thundy, Torn[-T], &c).

I wanted to take a second to examine the effects of Drought Virizion on the metagame…

• Obviously we'd see an increase in powerful sun sweepers, but one of the ones I'd be interested in seeing more of is Mega Houndoom. That thing is so powerful under sun and it has a very nice speed stat, so I think we'd see a lot more of it.

• I think we'd see an increase in Darmanitan; as we saw in BW2, pretty much nothing wants to take on a sun boosted Darmanitan.

• Venusaur would cause some serious mind games, as both its base and mega forms are very viable under sun. Base form would sweep teams with its blistering Chlorophyll speed; Mega Venusaur would just wall the hell out of everything with Sun boosted Synthesis.

• Charizard X would become even MORE potent of a sweeper.

• We might see an increase in Politoed/Tyranitar/Hippowdon simply to counterteam Sun.

Honestly, I think that Drought Virizion would shake up the tier the most. Cradily would easily be the most improved (and dare I say the best single mon of this bunch?), as it goes from NU to easily very OU viable; Blastoise would really just be an easy button to spam moves with--it's good, but really bland; Glaceon probably still isn't going to make any big splashes in OU, but those Blizzards are so powerful (it fit with the slate's theme though…)

I'm probably gonna post in detail when I get home along with a few conquest battles but first things first: I finally won a theorgmon slate for once CD

Thoughts to be posted, when I can but while I don't like weather that much, virizion should work similar to a past theorymon we had in old thread of drought torterra which did sun good so idk things to all wait in see (still, I'm gonna go Bessemer on first person who's tries to suggest Delta Stream on something along with the other weathers. Would go so damn beserk if I had to fight those in out) .

I realize how lame this is, but I kinda want to do Blastoise just because I want to see how Blastoise + Mega Swampert would go when ORAS comes out (We would update the theory ladder when ORAS comes out, right?)

Besides that, I feel like Rain and Sand already have enough viability for team strategies, and Hail just sucks to build a team around. Because of that, I lean towards Virizion because it synergizes well with sun abusers and could lead to a decent partnership with Mega Houndoom and lead to the most diverse metagame.

Right now it's between those two for me, but we'll see

Guys, I'd really like to reiterate that Cradily is not meant to function as part of a Sand Core. It is meant as a standalone special wall that happens to just beat opposing weather bringers.

Guys, I'd really like to reiterate that Cradily is not meant to function as part of a Sand Core. It is meant as a standalone special wall that happens to just beat opposing weather bringers.
Yet part of the beauty of it is the fact it can act as part of a sand core as it just fills a new niche as a Mon. It may not be ment to function likr that but the fact that it can gives it some nice utility.

Aight I'm gonna post some calcs that hopefully will change some minds/promote more discussion…

• 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 151-179 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 96-114 (25.5 - 30.3%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery;
    252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 140-166 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 169-199 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 113-134 (30 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 159-187 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 153-182 (40.6 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 159-187 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• +6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sand: 145-172 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I left out a lot, but it covers almost every single major special attacker (barring Latios--which has a SMALL chance to 2HKO--and Keldeo which outright beats it, and a few others). It also LOLs at Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, and pretty much anything without a strong boosted move or a Super Effective move. This is a serious defensive pokemon.

Last edited:
Alright folks, voting is now open. Please remember to post your votes in bold like my following vote…

Cradily + Sand Stream

If you've forgotten the slate, it's

• Virizion + Drought
  • Blastoise + Drizzle
  • Cradily + Sand Stream
  • Glaceon + Snow Warning

Last edited:
God I hate weather.... what do I want. Something similar to what I've seen once before? (Drought). Something that I would use alongside Mega Steelix (Cradily)? Hail? Or water slammed from the heavens (Drizzle Toise)?

Sigh, who to go with. :I

Last edited:
Sand Stream Cradily
As a standalone pokemon I think this one is the best and it is given to a mon that works well with this ability.

Isn't it better having all the votes PMd to a certain user like Alexwolf's theorymons, rather than having everyone see the votes and bandwagoning. Say I wanted Drizzle Blastoise or Snow Warning Glaceon, now that I've seen the votes I wouldn't vote for what I want given I know that they won't win and it is down to just Virizion and Cradily. I just think it is better when people vote for what they really want rather then what they want out of the things that will likely win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)