Project The OU Underdog Project (Week 17: Gogoat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Approved by AM and Aragorn the King
Banner by Analytic

One of the biggest complaints I hear concerning the OU tier is that everyone uses the same Pokemon, and that any attempt at creativity in choosing Pokemon is ridiculed and cannot be successful. Of course, this isn't really true, as many well-respected tour players are seen using unconventional Pokemon from time to time. And Pokemon which were considered unviable in the past regularly take a spot on the viability rankings due to a sudden surge in popularity, sometimes just because someone happened to try it and realise what it was capable of.

That's when I thought of hosting this thread, as a way to encourage this kind of creativity and see if we could find some overlooked gems that aren't used simply because people just don't consider them. It will also be an opportunity for a lot of us to unwind and just have fun with Pokemon we've never used before.

How this project will work :

Every week, I will bring up one Pokemon which is not currently ranked in the OU viability rankings. It may be one which has gained popularity in a lower tier, been recently banned in a lower tier, or just anything which has enough qualities and distinct features to be worth discussing. However, it has to be a Pokemon which could, at least in theory, be viable.

Then, we'll try to come up come up with sets the Pokemon could run. We'll discuss and test these sets and see if they actually work in practice, and if there's any reason to run these sets over other Pokemon. We'll collectively try to figure out if the Pokemon is as bad as it is believed to be, and if so, why. Replays are highly valued, but not required, and remember to take all replays with a grain of salt.

Always remember to keep an open mind. The purpose of this project is to find value in disenfranchised Pokemon, and just dismissing them is against the spirit of the thread. Still, don't forget to remain critical, but always try to back up your claims with good arguments and evidence. If a Pokemon is useless, it is useless, but you should never just assume that it.

Okay, let's start with underdog #1 : Heliolisk!

Heliolisk recently gained a lot of buzz in RU and UU after being banned from NU, many players believing it to be better than Jolteon, its main competition within these tiers. However, things are very different in OU, where it seems vastly outcompeted by Thundurus at first glance, and at second glance, and at every glance after that. It also receives huge competition from Raikou and Mega Manectric, which are both faster, stronger, and bulkier. Most importantly, it barely misses out on the crucial base 110 Speed tier which all of its competitors are able to outpace. It's easy to see why Heliolisk finds no serious use at all in OU.

However, Heliolisk does have a couple of things going for it. The most obvious of these is a powerful secondary STAB, something no offensive Electric type in OU besides Magnezone has access to. While Thundurus and Raikou have to rely on unstabbed coverage like HP Ice and Focus Blast, Heliolisk can hit Electric resists with powerful Hyper Voices. For example, Mega Venusaur, Physically Defensive Celebi and Specially Defensive Charizard-X are both 2HKOed by Choice Specs Hyper Voice, something Thundurus has a harder time doing. This also means it doesn't have to lock itself into the weak HP Ice to deal a lot of damage to Ground types.
Speaking of which, Heliolisk also gets access to Surf, which is less notable but does enable it to 2HKO SpD Heatran and SpD Hippwodon, both of which are often used as checks to Electric types.
Finally, it gets Dry Skin, which enables it to check BD Azumarill, switch into Scalds from the likes of Starmie, and fear almost nothing from Rotom-W besides a burn. It also gives it some longevity (though this does have to come with good prediction) and can play mindgames with the opponent, dissuading Keldeo from spamming Scald for instance.

So, what set(s) should Heliolisk run? What kind of teams does it fit on? What can it offer to a team which nothing else can? Do its qualities make it at all worth using in OU, and if so, why? Let's find out!

Last edited:
Now Heliolisk is a really cool mon in OU with the things that albacore mentioned above. I would think that the set heliolisk would be most viable with is this set.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Surf
- Hyper Voice

The set is really simple and I think he can run it with some success. I guess for teams he can fit well on:Rain he gets healed, can run thunder and get rain boosted surfs. Volturn: He can run volt switch over some move on the set listed above. Choice Scarf can be used to make him an RK. A little note is that you should probaly run 0 atk in order to be hit by less hard by foul play.

Gonna leave it there for now.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, this project looks really neat! Great way to introduce some more overshadowed 'mons into the tier.

Personally, I think that Heliolisk has a decent niche on rain teams with Dry Skin. It doesn't need HP Ice since it has Surf - which already beats stuff HP Ice was aimed at such as Rhyperior, Gliscor and Landorus.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch / Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Hyper Voice

It's a great switch-ins to Water-move spammers as you said and has Volt Switch, a crucial niche, over Toxicroak, to gain momentum and the like. It's also a very valuable asset to rain teams as it has focus blast to deal with ferro and hyper voice to deal with celebi and rotom-w.

edit: goddamn it shadow_sneak

Due to missing out on the base 110 tier and not having wallbreaker level power, I see a scarfed rain set being the only 'Viable' set. Thunder/Hyper Voice/Surf/Volt Switch. Grounds are not a safe switch in, Scarf Lando can only revenge if Heliolisk is already locked into Thunder (or hyper voice at good health), and it fits on rain offense decently. I don't think it's bulky enough to abuse Glare.

Overall, avoid this 'mon unless looking for a good rain thunder spammer, where it's pretty good considering it's mediocre stats. It's coverage + normal STAB gives it a decent niche over Raikou, but not enough to be ranked.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Heliolisk @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

From the recent NU playtest, Heliolisk really appreciates the ability to switch moves. It is not strong enough to be viable in OU, but if I had to run it in OU, I would use this set. Grass Knot does enough to get physical Hippowdon after Stealth Rock damage, and Focus Blast is there for a 2HKO on Ferrothorn. Volt Switch doesn't quite OHKO Keldeo with Life Orb, but would rather have the ability to switch to maintain momentum.

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 393-463 (93.5 - 110.2%)

I think a life orb set would be perfect in rain, given the recovery that dry skin provides. It beats keldeo 1v1, so long as it isn't scarfed. It has decent power and speed to play with, while admittedly not phenomenal, under rain it can just throw around 120 base power stab moves with perfect accuracy and a 30% chance to paralyze. As stated, it also gets surf, which is great given the boost that rain gives it, hitting many things that would otherwise check/ counter it prettyhard. 109 speed lets it outspeed most of the unscarred tier, barring basically every other electric type you ever see that isn't one of the mag fam. On paper at least, it sounds fairly decent. Maybe good enough to justify a spot on the viability ranking... maybe. It's def not the best choice, but it's also not the worst.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
why u didn't exist in bw? ;_;
anyway yea the most effective and useful set is probably a LO/specs set in a rain team with three STABs and surf, it can be helpful to gain momentum with volt switch when forcing switches, giving the possibility to let a rain sweeper come in for free. however despite its positive traits i still struggle to see it being used over other electric types that are faster, stronger and bulkier and they all have some more important niches that often cannot be ignored (prankster twave for thundy, pivoting capabilities for raikou and megaman respectively thanks to assault vest and intimidate)

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right, so I've recently done a couple of battles with Specs Heliolisk with Volt Switch, Hyper Voice, Surf and HP Fire just to try it out, but so far that set has been pretty underwhelming. I've saved the replays so you can still watch them here and here, but I wouldn't really bother since Heliolisk barely did anything during either battle. Also these were low-ladder replays and I admittedly wasn't playing my best, I could've probably played more aggressively with Heliolisk and lured out Ferrothorn with HP Fire for instance. And the fact that this was basically a Thundurus team I lazily slapped a Heliolisk on might've been a factor too lol.

But still, if these replays do show something, it's that Heliolisk has a very hard time actually coming in against anything. Not only does it not have enough speed to force out base 110s, but unlike other electric types, it offers very little defensively. Thundurus has a Ground immunity, Magnezone takes Fairies and Dragon hits, while Raikou and Manectric are decent switchins to special and physical attackers respectively. All Heliolisk really has defensively is a Water immunity which while nice, is still tricky to make use of unless you're facing a BD Azumarill, since any other hit from any water types deals a ton of damage, and rarely actually comes into play.

As far as I can tell, LO is better than Specs on Heliolisk, mainly because it is just not a very good Volt Switcher : it has a hard time forcing stuff out and doesn't have the bulk to act as a good offensive pivot. It also relies a lot more on its coverage than on accumulated damage to break Pokemon. This means it's better for it to stay in and just attack stuff than come in, get some damage off on something with Volt Switch, and do this multiple times per battle. In that sense, it's a lot more like Thundurus than Raikou. And besides, its lack of bulk makes LO recoil mostly irrelevant anyway. So I feel like a LO set with Thunderbolt enabling it to switch round moves is be better overall than a Specs set with Volt Switch, despite the fact that Specs does get a few crucial KOs with Hyper Voice.

As has been stated multiple times, Heliolisk looks pretty nice on rain. The ability to check BD Azumarill is very valuable to Rain teams, especially since it now runs Knock Off for Ferrothorn, the main Azu answer on rain. It's also able to threaten Pokemon like Celebi, Venusaur and to a lesser extent Hippowdon which can be pretty annoying for Rain. However, I'd like to try this thing on Sun offense too, with Solar Power instead of Dry Skin. A 1.5x boost in Sun sounds seriously strong, even if Sun offense is a really niche playstyle and Heliolisk doesn't offer much to it besides raw power (which YZard already has well enough of).

I've used Heliolisk in tha past as an Assault Vest user on rain. It has decent special bul (more than raikou iirc) and thanks to Dry Skin it wont be getting worn down as easily. Finally, it checks opposing waters that can threaten rain and discourages spamming Scald in general. Surf is also nice as it can muscle through Tyranitar and Heatran, especially in the rain. To sum it up, I prefer Heliolisk over AV Raikou mostly because it checks water types, has better coverage, and isnt worn down in the rain. And it still has good speed and special attack too.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Life Orb is better on Heliolisk because it really needs that freedom to do anything relevant in terms of move choices. You can see this if you payed attention during its time in NU where the majority of its offensive sets were Life Orb ones and was used as a momentum grabber with Volt Switch. Obviously this isn't NU and clearly it isn't as effective as it is OU but yeah move freedom is kind of huge.
As has been stated multiple times, Heliolisk looks pretty nice on rain. The ability to check BD Azumarill is very valuable to Rain teams, especially since it now runs Knock Off for Ferrothorn, the main Azu answer on rain. It's also able to threaten Pokemon like Celebi, Venusaur and to a lesser extent Hippowdon which can be pretty annoying for Rain. However, I'd like to try this thing on Sun offense too, with Solar Power instead of Dry Skin. A 1.5x boost in Sun sounds seriously strong, even if Sun offense is a really niche playstyle and Heliolisk doesn't offer much to it besides raw power (which YZard already has well enough of).
If you're going the sun route I'd probably try Tbolt, Grass Knot, Focus Blast / Coverage, Volt Switch. Coverage is really just something like HP Ice, Fire, or w/e you're weak to you and available. I don't see why you wouldn't use Volt Switch when you can potentially get Char-Y in more safely or grab momentum really but if anything Parabolic Charge can somewhat offset the Life Orb and Solar Power recoil at least a bit. Uh those replays were bad to showcase Heliolisk not cause of your playing but the fact it had a garbage match-up against both opponents teams rofl. I wouldn't really fret over that btw.

Albacore

Okay, this week's Pokemon is Drapion!

Drapion is a pretty interesting Pokemon with a pretty interesting typing. Poison/Dark is great defensively, being only weak to Ground, and Drapion's bulk, while not stellar, is good enough to make use of its typing. It's also pretty solid offensively, Dark covering up Poison's weakness to Psychic, while in return, Poison STAB enables Drapion to deal a lot of damage to Fairies which Dark types are typically weak to. Drapion gets access to very neat utility moves like Toxic Spikes (which has gained a lot of popularity recently, Pursuit, Taunt, and the ever-spammable Knock Off.
Unfortunately, Drapion's lack of reliable recovery is very problematic for it, since it can easily get worn down over time. This isn't necessarily a dealbreaker though : plenty of defensive Pokemon, like Hetaran, Landorus-T, Tentacruel, Empoleon, and Rhyperior manage to find themselves a niche in OU despite having no recovery. It also sufferscompetition in most of its roles : it's not as effective a Pursuit trapper as Tyranitar and isn't quite as good as setting up Toxic Spikes as Dragalge. But it's still able to combine these traits, so this does seem like a Pokemon which could find a place on select teams.

So is Drapion viable in OU, and what sets should it run if it is?

Last edited:
Citizen Snips (Drapion) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Acupressure
- Knock Off

But seriously, Drapion has the tools for a decent stallbreaker. It's kinda outclassed by Gliscor, among others, but Drapion gets STAB on its Knock Off, plus Pursuit and Toxic Spikes for good measure. Kinda hard to run everything it wants to on one set, though.

and yes, that set up top is supposed to be a joke

Reactions: p2
Drapion's best set in the meta IMO is a t-spikes + roar set, and fits best on spike stacking stall teams, where it enjoys wish support and other hazards to make roar more useful. Utilising all it's utility in one set, with T-Spikes/Roar/Knock Off seems like the only way to use it effectively, but having not trialed it any other way, I am not fully informed here. It has good physical bulk, but mediocre special bulk, so I would invest in HP and Defense if I were to use Drapion in OU.

AV Drapion is the only Hoop-U hard check.
Someone mentioned a stallbreaker set and that seems like it could work. The combination of Toxic Spikes, Taunt, and Knock Off seems like it has some serious spike stacking potential, especially where the Lati@s can't really switch-in and it can Taunt most other Defoggers due to its speed tier. As a mon with a unique typing (one that's actually pretty decent to boot) I feel there is definitely some potential in OU for it. As mentioned above, Gliscor overlaps to a large degree as a stallbreaker and also has similar coverage options, so playing to Drapion's strengths should be a priority, namely utilizing STAB Knock Off and T-Spikes.

Last edited:
Idk, I feel like the tspikes set is kinda outclassed by tentacruel. Tenta can wall azumarill, non subcm keldeo, can spin away hazards, has access to scald, and even has knock off. (although its a lot less powerful)

I just won my first PS tournament with a team based around Double Dance Drapion.
Sadly, Drapion didn't contribute much...
I'll continue to test it and see how it does.
Here is the set I am using:

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Drapion is interesting. I'm not sure if it will be viable, but I kind of like the looks of the stallbreaker on paper. I basically took two of the ideas people and made sets for them to see exactly what they would look like.

Stallbreaker
Drapion @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab

This set notably faces competition Gliscor, but the stronger Knock Off, different typing and more room to invest in speed may make a difference. Like Gliscor, it has the combination of Taunt + Swords Dance and cannot be poisoned. It is slightly weaker, less bulky and recovers less quickly than Gliscor however. Poison Jab + Knock Off offers decent coverage and allows it to beat Fairies like Clefable with ease. It does, however, struggle with Mega Sableye in most cases and fears burns from Scald when dealing with the likes of Slowbro. I don't think that this set will make too much of an impact on Drapion's viability since Gliscor does it better, but it's notable.

Toxic Spikes Phazer
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Knock Off
- Taunt / Earthquake / Poison Jab

This is a set where it doesn't have too much competition, though it does look a bit awkward to use on paper. Dragalge and Tentacruel are OU's other Toxic Spikes setters, but Drapion doesn't seem outclassed by them thanks to its ability to Taunt most Defoggers outside of the Latis (which it threatens with STAB Knock Off). Specially defensive Drapion seems good specifically for threatening the Latis as much as possible. The 60 speed EVs outspeed standard Zapdos, along with other Defoggers like Skarmory and Mandibuzz. Earthquake can be used to pose a bigger threat against Excadrill and also hits Heatran while Poison Jab can check fairies.

Bonus gimmick set?
Critpion
Drapion @ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Night Slash
- Earthquake / Taunt
- Swords Dance

Relying on luck to win a battle is usually never a good idea, but maybe this could be considered. With a Scope Lens, Cross Poison and Night Slash have a 50% chance of getting a critical hit. With Sniper, this can turn poor matchups into winnable ones. Given that this is just an altered version of the stallbreaker set, it might not be that bad...It is on the weak side without the crits though.

+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 270-319 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye on a critical hit: 247-292 (81.2 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory on a critical hit: 229-270 (68.5 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro on a critical hit: 540-639 (137 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 168-200 (42.6 - 50.7%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur on a critical hit: 253-298 (69.5 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Cross Poison vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable on a critical hit: 354-417 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor on a critical hit: 288-339 (81.3 - 95.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T on a critical hit: 235-279 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T on a critical hit: 159-189 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Drapion looks like it has potential, but there doesn't seem to be any demand for it in OU as of now. It looks fun though.

Albacore

Okay, this week's Pokemon is Virizion!

Virizion actually has a few things going for it. Good defensive typing enabling it to take on a number of Water and Ground types, solid bulk and good speed, and access to booting moves in Sword Dance and Calm Mind. It also has good coverage on the physical side, Stone Edge+Close Combat+Leaf Blade hitting the majority of the metagame. It even gets access to Taunt.
But in in OU, it fails to have an impact because of strong competition from the other 2 Pokemon which share its typing, namely Chesnaught and especially Breloom, whiwh has strong priority and access to Spore as big advantages over Virizion its strong priority and access to Spore. Virizion’s offensive Stats are also pretty unimpressive, 90 Attack not matching up to Breloom’s 130. However, it does have the advantage of being bulkier, and especially, faster, outspeeding a much larger portion of the OU metagame

So, does Virizion have any good sets in OU? Discuss!

Weirdly enough I was actually thinking about this the other day as a fit for a team; I can't remember in what context though - I think it was along the lines of being a late-game cleaner with SD that beats water-types and has fighting STAB.

In assessing Virizion's niche in a metagame featuring Chesnaught as defensive competition and Breloom as offensive competition, I think it important to first note the advantages over each

Virizion Pros
- Very high Special Bulk
- Boosting options for either offensive spectrum, and a movepool that can use both
- Significantly better speed
- Room for reliable recovery (Chesnaught, while resilient, relies on several indirect sources, and doesn't always have room for Synthesis)

Pros over Chesnaught
- Reliable boosting option (Chesnaught tends to only get one shot with BD Salac)

Cons
- Bulletproof gives Chesnaught numerous switch-in opportunities and immunities
- Much, much better physical bulk
- Many supportive options (Leech Seed, Spiky Shield for scouting, Spikes)

Pros over Breloom
- Special potential
- Fast enough to outpace some offensive mons

Cons
- Lack of Spore
- Inferior abilities (both Poison Heal and Technician find their uses on Breloom, while Justified can't be used intentionally on Virizion)
- Weaker initial power (Breloom's much higher Base 130 coupled with Technician lets it hit harder off the bat)
- No priority (Breloom's Mach Punch makes for a good cleaning or revenge tool)

In assessing Virizion's niche in a metagame featuring Chesnaught as defensive competition and Breloom as offensive competition, I think it important to first note the advantages over each

Virizion Pros
- Very high Special Bulk
- Boosting options for either offensive spectrum, and a movepool that can use both
- Significantly better speed
- Room for reliable recovery (Chesnaught, while resilient, relies on several indirect sources, and doesn't always have room for Synthesis)

Pros over Chesnaught
- Reliable boosting option (Chesnaught tends to only get one shot with BD Salac)

Cons
- Bulletproof gives Chesnaught numerous switch-in opportunities and immunities
- Much, much better physical bulk
- Many supportive options (Leech Seed, Spiky Shield for scouting, Spikes)

Pros over Breloom
- Special potential
- Fast enough to outpace some offensive mons

Cons
- Lack of Spore
- Inferior abilities (both Poison Heal and Technician find their uses on Breloom, while Justified can't be used intentionally on Virizion)
- Weaker initial power (Breloom's much higher Base 130 coupled with Technician lets it hit harder off the bat)
- No priority (Breloom's Mach Punch makes for a good cleaning or revenge tool)
Virizion also has some great recovery in Giga Drain and Synthesis over Breloom; which could be good for a CM set. I do kind of like the idea of CroZion in concept; actually - Suicune and the like need to dedicate three moveslots to Rest, Sleep Talk and an attacking option - Virizion gets Giga Drain which combines all three of those, leaving two slots free. It's also pretty damn fast for this sort of thing; I dunno. It could work

Virizion is quite the interesting pokemon. I feel like there is some kind of niche for it in OU in some way, some how. It has access to SD and the coverage to use it effectively (basically STABs and Stone Edge hits everything hard). CM is potentially useable from the standpoint that it is really the only Grass type that can boost on the special side as well. The advantage it does have over Sceptile on that side of the spectrum is that Fighting STAB limits the Ferro and Heatran switchins. I guess it could also pull off a mixed set, although it is lacking in base stats really. The speed tier is pretty nice and the almost unique defensive typing and special bulk gives it decent oppertunities to get in.

Worst part is that it seems like there is a Lati or Celebi on basically every team, and a lot of Keldeo checks overlap with Virizion checks. In theory it seems like a nice bit piece, but there's a lot of common answers out there and not a lot of tools to exploit said common checks.

Virizion also has some great recovery in Giga Drain and Synthesis over Breloom; which could be good for a CM set. I do kind of like the idea of CroZion in concept; actually - Suicune and the like need to dedicate three moveslots to Rest, Sleep Talk and an attacking option - Virizion gets Giga Drain which combines all three of those, leaving two slots free. It's also pretty damn fast for this sort of thing; I dunno. It could work
I like the idea, as with Virizion's nice typing it could work. However the reason why crocune, crobro and what have you work is because they have a high defense stat while able to boost their mediocre special defense stat. Virizion only has 91/72 physical bulk, which, even fully invested is pretty bad. If only he had access to bulk up...

I love Breloom's typing, so I hope we can find a usage for the most elegant yet most forgotten of the three Musketeers. I think an SD set would be the best, because otherwhiles your main stab has to be focus miss.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Atk / 4SpD/252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone edge

Then again this set only has small niches going for it over Breloom, as it is faster and bulkier, but does not have poison heal/ technician, spore and it way less powerful. It might however have more chances to set up due to bulk and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)