1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by PK Gaming, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Slacking Off

I used to play Aerodactyl lead a lot in DPP, and depending on matchup I wouldn't suicide lead it and kept it around to be a revenge killer. A couple things about Aero are pretty notable in the current meta:

1) As preposterous as it seems, Aerodactyl checks Tornadus-T pretty hard. Rock Slide with no Life Orb OHKOs Tornadus-T after rocks, and Hurricane, U-turn, and Hidden Power Ground are all resisted by Aero. Even with no Sand, Focus Blast and Superpower fail to kill with rocks:

Show Hide
    252Atk Unnerve Aerodactyl (Neutral) Rock Slide vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Tornadus Therian (Neutral): 84% - 100% (254 - 302 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 4% chance to OHKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (Neutral) Focus Blast vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 63% - 74% (191 - 226 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

4Atk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (Neutral) Superpower vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 52% - 62% (159 - 188 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Considering Aero can switch in relatively safely, threaten a kill, and possibly even roost off the damage or set up subs, it's probably one of the best answers to Tornadus-T that your (sand) team is going to get.

2) Other things unhappy to see Aerodactyl include Heatran and Ninetales (switching into Heatran Fire Blast in sun hurts though).

Show Hide
    252SpAtk Ninetales (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 44% - 52% (135 - 160 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 61% - 72% (186 - 219 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sandstorm vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 27% - 32% (83 - 98 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

3) It's generally a pretty good revenge killer that outspeeds anything unboosted (save a tie with Jolteon). You pretty much run Rock Slide or Stone Edge, EQ, and have space for two moves out of Roost/Sub/SR/Taunt/Ice Fang/Aerial Ace/Fire Blast.

I'm not saying it's good exactly, but I think the prevalence of Tornadus-T really helps its case for C-Tier.
  2. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470076&postcount=622
  3. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

SR weakness aside, I like Choice Scarf Aero as a revenge killer. Outspeeds Salamence/Gyarados/Dragonite/Volcornia at +1 and maims them with Rock Slide.
  4. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

if something needs rain/sun/sand to work it should be A-Tier at best imo. Needing a specific weather to be active is a pretty big flaw.

Also a bit off topic but if we're getting to the point of debating banning stuff like Tornadus-T this should be a pretty clear indication that we need to re-evaluate politoed rather than tornadus. Let's be honest, tornadus-T usage would sink like a stone without politoed and no-one would even consider banning it.

My humble opinion
  5. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

About Gyarados, unless he's Jolly he will never outspeed a max speed positive-natured Aero at +1; Gyarados only hits 391.

Instead of those Pokémon, I'm more interested in how we he revenges Chlorophyll sweepers with a scarf. Does he even need a positive nature to beat them?
  6. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

Yeah, Gyarados (and Dragonite, whose actually 1 point slower than Gyarados) need Jolly to outspeed Aerodactyl.

Also, IIRC, Scarf Aerodactyl needs Jolly if Sun Venusaur is running Timid. I think Adamant Aero Scarf outruns Sun Modest Venusaur, I'll double check tomorrow when I wake up.
  7. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

Neutral Aero outspeeds neutral Venusaur, but you need Jolly to beat neutral Sawsbuck, Liligant, and Leafeon. Now, how about some damage calcs?
  8. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

Choice Scarf 252 Atk Ev's Jolly Aerodactyl Fire Fang:

4 HP / 0 Def Venusaur in sun: 214-254 (70.86 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck in sun: 246-290 (81.45 - 96.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant in sun: 234-276 (82.97 - 97.87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    80 HP / 0 Def Leafeon in sun: 146-174 (50.17 - 59.79%) -- 80.86% chance to 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Victreebel in sun: 260-308 (86.09 - 101.98%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  9. Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

I have always used Aerodactyl on my teams and the best set is by far:

stone edge/rock slide (preference)
    EQ
    Taunt
    Roost

They lead Deoxy's D? No problem taunt it and spam your chosen stab move on the switch since only 4 pokemon in the game double resist rock. I go with stone edge because I love the extra power and the increased chances for a crit. He can revenge kill, and if you predict an obvious switch you can always roost back stealth/life orb damage.

If only GF could have given him U-turn...
  10. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

I agree nites bets set was held back so badly by genesect that is dragon danceand so was garchomp, even at full health a 1+ gene could cut through nite like butter at times and garchomp would have his sub destroyed then himself destroyed if he stayed in and using sub limits him to EQ outrage, still awesome coverage but still laughed at by skarmory and pals.
  11. G-Von

G-Von

12. buddhism

buddhism

I believe that Staraptor should be in B rank or maybe even A rank. Although it receives huge recoil from its attacks, it can deal a lot of damage to most pokemon with CC, BB and Double-Edge. IMO, Scarf Staraptor is a great set as it acts as a great revenge killer. It OHKOs pokemon with over over 50% HP more often than not in my case. Of course, it needs a spinner to ensure its safe switch-in.
  13. Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

the problem is he's usually choiced and easy to predict and wall, forcing switches and more rock damage. if he runs LO, recoil damage + life orb damage makes him not able to switch back in. should u use a move like CC, his defenses becomes paper and is easily revenged by priority. still a great poke, but to be in the same tier as Garchomp, latios and scizor is a bitch of a stretch. I would say C-rank as he needs the correct support around him to be effective consistently.
  14. ginganinja

ginganinja Dating Haunter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yea ummmm, Deoxys-D uses Magic Coat and GG your Aerodactly got its taunt slammed back on it, denying you SR. Or, Deoxys uses Mental Herb, and GG it taunts you back, then sets up a layer of SR and Spikes while you try and KO it with SE / EQ
  15. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

^I think that's more indicative of Deo-D being way too goddamn good, but you make a valid point. Aerodactyl has a better niche as a revenge killer than he does as a hazard setter in BW2.
  16. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

This is exactly what I think. He works as a pretty awesome offensive pivot by revenge killing super threats like Tornadus-T, and with his EdgeQuake combo he does some serious damage to Sun teams, while being able to throw up Rock if he wants to. If only he could learn U-Turn... troll freak. Sure lets give every other Flying type U-Turn but completely ignore Aero.
  17. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk

Hell, if Aerodactyl could learn fucking Brave Bird, I'd put him on every team. I mean shit, he even gets Rock Head as an ability, but no Brave Bird??
  18. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

seconding this

also let it be known that if not for aerodactyl's supreme power as a lead, jackal's lead azelf hyper offense team would have beaten me in wcop prelims, west would not have broken to quarterfinals, and fourteen or so lovely men would not hold this blue trophy. c tier please.

and no he does not get head smash why is everyone obsessed with rock head you guys are rock hard for rock head
  19. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

Does he get Head Smash?
  20. TaBuu

TaBuu

[​IMG]
    D-Tier??? RU Kidding me? (joke joke...).

This prehistoric flying Dinosaur may be ancient but definitely deserves a little more recognition and not go extinct. Check it. Base 130 Speed. In the OU Metagame, that shit is just godly. Being able to outspeed practically anyone (which includes base 129 base speed Pokemon and below along with base 70 Scarfers...which is stupid 'cause those don't really fly around a lot haha), Aerodactyl introduces itself with quite a flashy showcase of speed. Next up, is his offensive stats. Base 105 Attack is above average and quite solid. It pales a bit when put up against the OU Titans such as Lucario, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Mamoswine, Dragonite, Hydreigon and so forth. However it's good enough that it is quite useable. (I mean it's more offensive than stuff like SD Gliscor at least haha). Aerodactyl is almost always running Sash with Rocks and Taunt. This really allows Aerodactyl to stop entry hazards from coming up on your side while putting your on Rocks up. He works well against stuff like Sash Terrakion. EQ is a solid 2HKO and thanks to Sash+Higher base speed, Terrakion will either have to run and allow an opportunity for Aero to set up Rocks OR Terrakion can be KO'd and you can battle worry-free of those troublesome rocks. Aerodactyl has Hone Claws which isn't terrible. It has its uses. Stone Edge misses became a laughing matter as he boosts. One time is enough to bring Stone Edge to a comfortable level of usage and reliability. With Rocks up and a +1, Aerodactyl can do some work to a worn down team. Keep in mind, Aerodactyl is better off utilizing a Focus Sash and it better off in the Sand (it really helps).

+1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 308-364 (95.06 - 112.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 260-306 (68.42 - 80.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    +1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 255-300 (84.43 - 99.33%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 184 HP / 4 Def Rotom-W: 198-234 (68.98 - 81.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and weather

Just some random calcs, but you can see that Aerodactyl is not terribly outclassed as an offensive late game cleaner. His plethora of Priority weaknesses is obvious but again, they should have received prior damage and a Sash should be held by Aero to ensure Aero can go and take them out.
    Aerodactyl is a Pokemon with a hell of a lot of flaws. But, he has his perks. D-Tier sounds a little too harsh.
    "Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks." C-Tier really sounds applicable. With Support as listed, Aerodactyl can work surprisingly well for a "poor" Pokemon in this Meta. He does have crippling flaws though and this does hold him back. But Aero is definitely "worth the time" and can fulfil more than just a "tiny niche".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]
  21. DrunkDemon

DrunkDemon

Unfortunately, no. It's really a shame, it has the perfect typing to abuse recoil moves and doesn't get any.
  22. Worldtour

Worldtour aka Swamp-Rocket
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

I am really not convinced that Aerodactyl should be moved out of D-tier at all.

The main reason is some of these sets that are being used are almost all outclassed and I fail to see their merit. When are you ever going to set up a Hone Claws on Aerodactyl with its frality? Why not just use something stronger like Terrakion, which has Swords Dance? Why not just use something with a Choice Band with several Powerful moves, possibly boosted by weather? Why would you ever use Scarf Aerodactyl? Or Taunt plus Roost Aerodactyl? If you're going to go for a fast cleaner... once again Terrakion takes the cake with a Scarf. The second set is outclassed by Crobat most of the time since it has a better bulk and a better defensive typing (and Brave Bird so it hits harder) and it isn't even that good in OU to begin with. Aerodactyl only has two advantages over Terrakion - a immunity to Earthquake and the ability to outspeed a lot of Pokemon that Terrakion cannot. Even then, Aerodactyl's only good offensive move happens to be Stone Edge, which is imfamous for missing every five seconds for a very good reason. Earthquake is OK but it is getting to be unrelaible. 105 Base Attack to go alongside this move makes it a rather below average physical attacker, especially when you consider that there are many Pokemon packing 120 Base Power STAB moves with perfect accuracy, technical double STAB with weather, a higher attack stat with dual STABs (Aerodactyl has no good Flying moves), or more than one of these!

Aerodactyl is only worth using in OU if you are going to lay down a fast Stealth Rock, and even then, there are many other options for setting up the move - most of the time Deoxys-D does a better job than it, which is what makes it worthy for D-tier, where it is now.
  23. PureQuestion

PureQuestion

Yeah, the full extent of its recoil attacks to abuse Rock Head with is... Double-Edge and Takedown.

So really, just Double-Edge. Which is at least okay for neutral coverage, but man. That's just cruel.
  24. Wizarus

Wizarus

Too bad Aerodactyl doesn't get Brave Bird; would have been a hell of alot better if it did. As of now, Lead is the only set I see viable, and really that's not exactly spectacular. Unnerve will stop Custap, but outside of that, it's outclassed by Terrakion as a SR lead with Taunt.
  25. Crackstar

Crackstar

No

It's way way faster than Terrakion, which cant be understated, it takes Azelf leads 1 v 1, and taunts other things. C-Tier
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)