1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by PK Gaming, Oct 17, 2012.

1. The Dark Hero

The Dark Hero

Garchomp isn't S-rank? I am honestly surprised.
  2. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Why is the BIRD still D-Rank? I feel like my post a couple pages ago was completely ignored. Aerodactyl plays no games.

(go back and read my post that I refuse to quote, then respond to me)
  3. lordkira

lordkira

I'm not posting with a lengthy input of intelligent arguments.
    But I would like to ask you guys a question: what do you now think about dragonite and garchomp's "tier" placement on the list? With the absence of genesect, do you believe the two top-quality dragons have significantly improved in terms of their prowess in the OU meta? Or do you believe the cyborg insect's absence has not done too much in regards to the two dragon's effectiveness in the meta?
  4. G-Von

G-Von

Can anyone please tell me how Jirachi isn't S-Tier? i made a detailed description a few pages back taking apart the definition of S-Rank and described how Jirachi fits into it. If anyone wants, I can copy and paste it here. It is post 822.
  5. The Dark Hero

The Dark Hero

Garchomp will probably go up to S-Tier now that the Robobug is gone.
  6. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Wow, you were pretty much ignored... That's annoying.

Anyways, I agree with you that Aerodactyl should most definitely be praised for it's amazing speed, and being able to set up Stealth Rocks faster then any other Pokemon in OU. I think the reason many shun him over Deoxys-D or even Azelf, is because most people tend to sack their Stealth Rock lead at the beginning of the battle, AKA Suicide Lead. The reason Deoxys-D is used over Aerodactyl as a Suicide Hazard Lead, is pretty obvious because of it's insane bulk, decent speed, and the ability to be slightly offensive and access to Spikes as well. Azelf is used over Aerodactyl because it can use Explosion after getting up rocks, at least that's why I think people would rather use him, and he's got nice SpA too for a final blow with Fire Blast or Psychic. Anyways, Aerodactyl has really nice coverage, so why sack him at the beginning of the battle? If you keep Aero alive for a longer period of time in the battle, he can actually be a really nice offensive presence that can actually fight back against spinners and Steel types. Being so fast even lets him out speed Tornadus-T, and Edgequake is a great combo when facing Sun teams.

All in all, Aerodactyl needs some love. Seconding Lavos on moving Aerodactyl to C-Tier.
  7. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Slacking Off

I used to play Aerodactyl lead a lot in DPP, and depending on matchup I wouldn't suicide lead it and kept it around to be a revenge killer. A couple things about Aero are pretty notable in the current meta:

1) As preposterous as it seems, Aerodactyl checks Tornadus-T pretty hard. Rock Slide with no Life Orb OHKOs Tornadus-T after rocks, and Hurricane, U-turn, and Hidden Power Ground are all resisted by Aero. Even with no Sand, Focus Blast and Superpower fail to kill with rocks:

Show Hide
    252Atk Unnerve Aerodactyl (Neutral) Rock Slide vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Tornadus Therian (Neutral): 84% - 100% (254 - 302 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 4% chance to OHKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (Neutral) Focus Blast vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 63% - 74% (191 - 226 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

4Atk Life Orb Tornadus Therian (Neutral) Superpower vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 52% - 62% (159 - 188 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Considering Aero can switch in relatively safely, threaten a kill, and possibly even roost off the damage or set up subs, it's probably one of the best answers to Tornadus-T that your (sand) team is going to get.

2) Other things unhappy to see Aerodactyl include Heatran and Ninetales (switching into Heatran Fire Blast in sun hurts though).

Show Hide
    252SpAtk Ninetales (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 44% - 52% (135 - 160 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 61% - 72% (186 - 219 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sandstorm vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Aerodactyl (Neutral): 27% - 32% (83 - 98 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

3) It's generally a pretty good revenge killer that outspeeds anything unboosted (save a tie with Jolteon). You pretty much run Rock Slide or Stone Edge, EQ, and have space for two moves out of Roost/Sub/SR/Taunt/Ice Fang/Aerial Ace/Fire Blast.

I'm not saying it's good exactly, but I think the prevalence of Tornadus-T really helps its case for C-Tier.
  8. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470076&postcount=622
  9. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

SR weakness aside, I like Choice Scarf Aero as a revenge killer. Outspeeds Salamence/Gyarados/Dragonite/Volcornia at +1 and maims them with Rock Slide.
  10. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

if something needs rain/sun/sand to work it should be A-Tier at best imo. Needing a specific weather to be active is a pretty big flaw.

Also a bit off topic but if we're getting to the point of debating banning stuff like Tornadus-T this should be a pretty clear indication that we need to re-evaluate politoed rather than tornadus. Let's be honest, tornadus-T usage would sink like a stone without politoed and no-one would even consider banning it.

My humble opinion
  11. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

About Gyarados, unless he's Jolly he will never outspeed a max speed positive-natured Aero at +1; Gyarados only hits 391.

Instead of those Pokémon, I'm more interested in how we he revenges Chlorophyll sweepers with a scarf. Does he even need a positive nature to beat them?
  12. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

Yeah, Gyarados (and Dragonite, whose actually 1 point slower than Gyarados) need Jolly to outspeed Aerodactyl.

Also, IIRC, Scarf Aerodactyl needs Jolly if Sun Venusaur is running Timid. I think Adamant Aero Scarf outruns Sun Modest Venusaur, I'll double check tomorrow when I wake up.
  13. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

Neutral Aero outspeeds neutral Venusaur, but you need Jolly to beat neutral Sawsbuck, Liligant, and Leafeon. Now, how about some damage calcs?
  14. Hemp Man

Hemp Man

Choice Scarf 252 Atk Ev's Jolly Aerodactyl Fire Fang:

4 HP / 0 Def Venusaur in sun: 214-254 (70.86 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck in sun: 246-290 (81.45 - 96.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant in sun: 234-276 (82.97 - 97.87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    80 HP / 0 Def Leafeon in sun: 146-174 (50.17 - 59.79%) -- 80.86% chance to 2HKO
    4 HP / 0 Def Victreebel in sun: 260-308 (86.09 - 101.98%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  15. Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

I have always used Aerodactyl on my teams and the best set is by far:

stone edge/rock slide (preference)
    EQ
    Taunt
    Roost

They lead Deoxy's D? No problem taunt it and spam your chosen stab move on the switch since only 4 pokemon in the game double resist rock. I go with stone edge because I love the extra power and the increased chances for a crit. He can revenge kill, and if you predict an obvious switch you can always roost back stealth/life orb damage.

If only GF could have given him U-turn...
  16. malomyotismon

malomyotismon

I agree nites bets set was held back so badly by genesect that is dragon danceand so was garchomp, even at full health a 1+ gene could cut through nite like butter at times and garchomp would have his sub destroyed then himself destroyed if he stayed in and using sub limits him to EQ outrage, still awesome coverage but still laughed at by skarmory and pals.
  17. G-Von

G-Von

18. buddhism

buddhism

I believe that Staraptor should be in B rank or maybe even A rank. Although it receives huge recoil from its attacks, it can deal a lot of damage to most pokemon with CC, BB and Double-Edge. IMO, Scarf Staraptor is a great set as it acts as a great revenge killer. It OHKOs pokemon with over over 50% HP more often than not in my case. Of course, it needs a spinner to ensure its safe switch-in.
  19. Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

the problem is he's usually choiced and easy to predict and wall, forcing switches and more rock damage. if he runs LO, recoil damage + life orb damage makes him not able to switch back in. should u use a move like CC, his defenses becomes paper and is easily revenged by priority. still a great poke, but to be in the same tier as Garchomp, latios and scizor is a bitch of a stretch. I would say C-rank as he needs the correct support around him to be effective consistently.
  20. ginganinja

ginganinja Dating Haunter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yea ummmm, Deoxys-D uses Magic Coat and GG your Aerodactly got its taunt slammed back on it, denying you SR. Or, Deoxys uses Mental Herb, and GG it taunts you back, then sets up a layer of SR and Spikes while you try and KO it with SE / EQ
  21. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

^I think that's more indicative of Deo-D being way too goddamn good, but you make a valid point. Aerodactyl has a better niche as a revenge killer than he does as a hazard setter in BW2.
  22. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor to Smogon

This is exactly what I think. He works as a pretty awesome offensive pivot by revenge killing super threats like Tornadus-T, and with his EdgeQuake combo he does some serious damage to Sun teams, while being able to throw up Rock if he wants to. If only he could learn U-Turn... troll freak. Sure lets give every other Flying type U-Turn but completely ignore Aero.
  23. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk

Hell, if Aerodactyl could learn fucking Brave Bird, I'd put him on every team. I mean shit, he even gets Rock Head as an ability, but no Brave Bird??
  24. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

seconding this

also let it be known that if not for aerodactyl's supreme power as a lead, jackal's lead azelf hyper offense team would have beaten me in wcop prelims, west would not have broken to quarterfinals, and fourteen or so lovely men would not hold this blue trophy. c tier please.

and no he does not get head smash why is everyone obsessed with rock head you guys are rock hard for rock head
  25. Lord of Bays

Lord of Bays

Does he get Head Smash?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)