Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a non-Amoongus related topic, I could see Nidoqueen maybe even being C-Rank. It does shut down Terrakion, after all, and actually can hit pretty hard thanks to Sheer Force. Plus it absorbs Toxic Spikes. Just saying that it does have some potential in OU. I ca still fully understand D-Rank though.

Honestly, if you are using amoongus to hard counter everything you are not using it right. It is an amazing pivot on balanced teams because it fairs well against all types of teams by gaining momentum for your team. Spore means that one pokemon is pretty much dead. Amoonguss can be used to pivot against choiced attackers such as terrakion(after you know it's choiced), Jolteon, Thundurus, Rotom-w, Magnezone, Keldeo, and Specs toad. It also happens to be able to counter common sets of some of the most dangerous pokes in the game(keldeo, thundurus,Breloom). Amoongus is also really effective vs balanced teams by sleeping a wall and double switching to a strong attacker. I don't get why you think everything needs to be hard countered.

Nidoqueen is worth D-Rank, imo. As far as Toxic Spikers go, she's basically the best offensive one, or at least the one with the most presence. LO Sheer Force boosted attacks hurt quite a bit, and Nidoqueen gets quite decent coverage moves to go with Earth Power. Its fairly bulky, too, which is nice because it can switch into Terrakion once or twice if it needs to, thanks to its typing. Of course Toxic Spikes aren't that great in this meta, but if you need them, Nidoqueen is a solid choice.
EDIT: Oh, we're pushing Nidoqueen to C-Rank, now? I'm alright with that, its pretty good. Wouldn't push it much further, though. Toxic Spikes are pretty limited right now.

Scrafty is worth D, too. Its got Dragon Dance, bulk, an ability that reduces the effects of status, great STABs, all of which are things that most sweepers would kill for. Offenses are pretty bad, though, which means it does need multiple boosts to pose a threat. Its viable, but I'm not too certain why you'd use it when stuff like Terrakion and Breloom exist.

Finally, about Amoongus. Seriously, how long has this damn discussion gone? Two pages? Enough about it already. I don't give a crap where it goes, so long as the decision is final and we move on. I'm not getting into this.

I think Nidoqueen should be added to D-rank because it is one of the only things that shuts down CB Terrakion locked into either of its STABs and is a decent Special Attacker with excellent coverage to boot. Scrafty I don't think should be added, it's nothing like what it was last year in BW1, and since it is so outclassed and outsped it really can't pull its weight anymore. I like the beast, and he is a top threat in UU, but the juggernauts of OU smash it to bits.

Any other opinions on Tyranitar? This pointless is argument is invading the thread, my reasons laid out for Tyranitar are in my previous post.
Scrafty deserves D-rank because of that. It has the potential to sweep teams, but usually falls up short and fails in the process. Often it will be more trouble than it is worth because of its low speed and common weaknesses. If he DOES manage to setup, teams could be potentioally shreaded apart by his unresisted coverage moves. He also makes a good ttar check because of tyranitar's inability to hit him with anything bar super power and the odd focus blast.

And I'm happy that people are agreeing with my nominations for nidoqueen and scrafty. ;)

Icecream said:
lokt said:
I don't get why you think everything needs to be hard countered.
Yeah, but 2HKo'd by almost everything ain't so great.
You ignored basically my whole argument. Is beating some of the most dangerous threats in the game, having practically an ohko move, and provided a massive amount of momentum not good enough for you? Yeah, every wall is beaten by a huge amount of mons that it can't wall. You just don't switch in to them. Use teammates. Amoongus is simple. You switch in when you can, spore something, and switch out.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol, I've been asking that, but nothing comes up. What does it beat(no rotom-w) besides those 3 threats I mentioned, every other special attacker in OU can 2HKO/OHKO it by virtue of their stabs alone. You answer that.

@Gary2346 I have more experience with amoongus than people arguing for B-rank, hence why I know the value of its evs and what it beats and what it doesn't don't so don't attempt to discredit me.
I didn't say your name, and I wasn't trying to discredit you. Don't assume, I was just giving a heads up to other players who theorymon it because of its RU status and somewhat lackluster stats compared to other OU Pokemon. I myself also have a lot of experience with Amoonguss, and I find it really hard to believe that you don't seem to see it in the same light as I do. It's not AMAZING, and it's not Celebi. That's why it's in B-Rank. There are a lot of Pokemon in B-Rank that have just as many flaws as Amoonguss, so I don't feel that Amoonguss should drop a tier because of them. Overall, I think that Amoonguss is one of the better walls in the meta game, especially with Rain and Fighting types being so common. I agree that C-Tier would be fit for it if Drizzle was possibly banned, however Amoonguss is really helpful in this Rain infested meta game. Although Celebi does out class it in some forms, they're almost incomparable. They're completely different.

I'm going to stop this calculation crap once and for all. I'm using the only set noted for Amoonguss for the smogon OU analysis. All attackers sets are going to be the EV spread of the top set on Smogon's site. All attackers are going to be the prominent special attackers, because that's what this all seems to be based around. This is all "standard", so there's no more arguments about that. All are going to use the only reasonable move to use against Amoonguss based off the set on-site. Any slashed moves are the first one listed. My calculator was acting up, so all these calcs aren't including Black Sludge recovery. All calcs also ignore Giga Drain possibility.
S Tier:
252SpAtk Keldeo (Neutral) Hidden Power (Ice) vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 30% - 35% (130 - 154 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
Hidden Power Ice does the most out of all 4 moves listed on the Scarf set.

252SpAtk Choice Specs Politoed (+SAtk) Ice Beam vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 52% - 61% (226 - 266 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
Assuming Sleep Clause isn't in effect and you didn't switch in, you can Spore, cripple it, Giga Drain to get health back, and switch out to get more health if you need. Only a check, but it works.

A Tier:
0SpAtk Heatran (Neutral) Lava Plume vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 43% - 50% (186 - 218 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
The standard Heatran can't 2HKO with Lava Plume without Flash Fire boost, for god's sake. Spore cripples it and Toxic doesn't do anything to Amoonguss.

4SpAtk +2 Latias (Neutral) Dragon Pulse vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 41% - 48% (178 - 211 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
A plus two CM Latias doesn't even OHKO with it's Dragon Pulse.
Dragon Pulse is the only suggested move to use, if you want psyshock here you go:

4SpAtk +2 Latias (Neutral) Psyshock vs 252HP/228Def Leftovers Amoonguss (+Def): 79% - 94% (344 - 408 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
+2 Once again isn't an OHKO. Solid check.

252SpAtk Latios (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fire) vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 30% - 35% (130 - 154 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
252SpAtk Latios (Neutral) Psyshock vs 252HP/228Def Leftovers Amoonguss (+Def): 56% - 66% (242 - 288 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Even though trick is generally a better choice, I added psyshock for validity. Nice check against Psyshock assuming you don't switch in, Solid Check against non-psyshock variants, could even be considered a Counter. Assuming my math is right, Draco Meteor would be a 4HKO, getting on par with HP Fire. That's not counting Giga Drain and Black Sludge Recovery.

0SpAtk Ninetales (Neutral) Flamethrower in Sun vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 50% - 59% (218 - 258 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge.

56SpAtk Rotom (+SAtk) Hidden Power (Ice) vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 24% - 28% (104 - 124 HP). Guaranteed 5HKO.
Good luck.

252SpAtk Life Orb Starmie (Neutral) Ice Beam vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 43% - 52% (188 - 226 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
Psyshock isn't listed on standard at all, so I'm not doing it. Natural Cure helps here with Spore, but it still forces the switch out, which is what it should do. Starmie's out, Amoonguss wins.

252SpAtk Life Orb Thundurus Therian (Neutral) Hidden Power (Ice) vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 42% - 50% (184 - 218 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
Coming off that base 145 SpA, Thundurus-T still fails to 2HKO with HP Ice. While it does resist Giga Drain, Spore is an option. +2 Not listed because it's gonna be asleep before it has the chance to get +2 and keep it. Spore and Clear Smog.

I'm going to say this outright what I think- Amoonguss is a good Special wall. It's definitely good enough for B rank, most anything that counters is in the tier is a Steel type, another wall, or most physical attacking threats. No more needs to be said.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
4SpAtk +2 Latias (Neutral) Dragon Pulse vs 252HP/228SpDef Leftovers Amoonguss (+SpDef): 41% - 48% (178 - 211 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
A plus two CM Latias doesn't even OHKO with it's Dragon Pulse.
Dragon Pulse is the only suggested move to use, if you want psyshock here you go:

4SpAtk +2 Latias (Neutral) Psyshock vs 252HP/228Def Leftovers Amoonguss (+Def): 79% - 94% (344 - 408 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
+2 Once again isn't an OHKO. Solid check.
Dude, you can't have that EV spread at the same time. This will only give Icecream the chance to strengthen his case (not that it really was).

Homeslice, most of your calculations and explanations don't really matter. For example, after switching amoongus on specs politoed's ice beam, you know it's spec'd and switch to an ice resist. I don't even know why you have calcs for heatran, ninetales, or lati@s since you shouldn't be switching in on them. Latias also commonly carries sub, so amoongus is set up fodder.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about Scrafty. I LOOOOOVE it as a Pokémon, and I've used it in UU quite a bit, and it's great there. Problem is...I can't really see it being very effective (on paper, at least) in OU. Even with +2, I think Adamant ones are still out-sped by Choice Scarf Terrakion. Not sure, but I'm not going to explicitly appose adding it to D rank.

True. Switching the evs was a poor argument on his part. It only does prove my point, lol.
Just like you did with Latias's EVs for my calcualtions. : D

On the subject of Scrafty, D-Rank seems pretty good. It can be a pain to fight in certain situations, but it's fighting weakness and kind of awkward stats mean it's usually not too difficult to handle. D-Rank, probably, but maybe C-Rank if there are some good arguments.

I have mentioned before about how I don't care about Amoongus since I have never personally used him, and to an extent, thought that it dropping down to C-rank was no big deal. After reading this fucking mess of a thread, I decided to do some research. I wanted to see how many pokemon in all of OU could OHKO Amoongus, therefore derailing him his opportunity of putting something to sleep with Spore and completely taking out a poke for the remainder of the game.

Here are the details: for starters, I went into this thinking that it should probably drop down to C-rank. I used the exact set on it's OU analysis since that is more than likely its best set for the tier. By multiplying the percentage of the item used and the move used to hit Amoongus is how I came up with the list since it would equal the chances of the pokemon using the move and item together at the same time. The cut off was about 1 in every six times the pokemon was used was how often it was able to OHKO Amoongus. Without further ado, here is my lengthy list of Pokemon that will always OHKO Amoongus with the right item and move:

Alakazam (Life Orb+Psyshock)
Latios (Choice Specs+Psyshock)
Mamoswine (Life Orb+Icicle Crash)
Haxorus (Choice Band+Outrage)
Cloyster (White Herb+Icicle Spear)

Now here is the list of pokemon that have a chance to OHKO Amoongus:
Gyarados* (Leftovers+Bounce)
Tyranitar (Choice Band+Stone Edge)

And there you have it, the very long list of pokemon that fuck Amoongus up!

As you can tell, I'm being sarcastic. I was shocked at how impenetrable of a special wall this shroom was. It cannot be OHKO'd by a move targeting it's special defense from an OU pokemon that is reasonably common. I put an asterisk next to Gyarados since Bounce would make Spore miss, but the shroom would switch out since it doesn't wanna risk getting killed from the first couple turns. Since no pokemon would be going to sleep, I would consider that a success for the team facing Amoongus. Pokemon like Infernape and Heatran were all over the damage calcs, but the moves used along with the choice of item AND the fact that all of them had a Blaze or Flash Fire boost, respectively, forced me not to consider them. Infernape's SD set was actually close to being viable.

Most of you probably haven't been following since my presentation hasn't been favorable, but this is what I'm trying to say: If Amoongus leads against any OU special attacker that cannot hit it's physical side, it can Spore, switch out, and recover a third of its health after receiving whatever amount of damage it was.

TL;DR-Amoongus is a lot better than I thought. It is a very good special wall that cannot be OHKO'd by a special attacker not named Alakazam or Latios. Therefore, if you lead with it, chances are you can Spore whatever pokemon the opposing player chooses to sacrifice. Keep it B-rank

Edit: on the topic of Scrafty, I find it being in D-rank to be a good place to put it. Very good bulk, great STAB's, and abilities, and a good overall defensive typing. It needs to rely on it's DD set if it wants to do any sort of damage or sweep, so I think it hould be fine in D-rank.

I agree about Tyranitar being S rank. It's a great Pokemon that can fit on pretty much any team that also happens to give you an answer to other weather. It's a huge threat no doubt, few can switch into it safely because it has a giant movepool, Ice beam, Fire Blast, Superpower you name it. I think Conkeldurr is the only 100% safe counter since it has Drain Punch to heal itself back. Tyranitar walls and can eliminate a lot in the tier with the Scarf of Band set. Celebi, Jellicent, Jolteon, Espeon, Starmie, Lati@s, Gengar etc. Infact I think Tyranitar is the reason why Excadrill got banned and why Landorus and Keldeo are seen as broken by some people because they are often paired up with Tyranitar which can remove their counters with ease. Tyranitar also has several viable sets. Scarf, Band, SpD, Focus Sash, Dragon Dance (not that good in this meta but it can take people by surprise and pretty good sweeper late game) Tyranitar is not without it's flaws however as it's quite easy to check though one must be careful if Tyranitar is scarfed. Also the 4x weakness to fighting blows this can be solved somewhat with Chople Berry but then Tyranitar can't hold something else like Leftovers. Tyranitar also has a whopping 6 weaknesses fighting, steel, bug, water, ground, grass but Tyranitar is pretty bulky 100/110/174 (in sand) defenses are amazing for a Pokemon that has a huge 134 base Attack. He can take non STAB U-turns with ease and the sand helps it tank water and grass moves which are most of the time special. Not to mention in the sand is almost like he resists electric,dragon and ice special moves. Tyranitar is so much better than Politoed imo. If Politoed is S-rank I don't see why Tyranitar can't. Drizzle is more useful as it powers up water moves, makes Thunder 100% accurate, Hurricane etc but let's not forget it halves the damage of fire type moves and that rain teams usually rely too much on Politoed to be effective. Sand teams don't have this problem. Also it's not like sand is totally useless if your opponent is not using weather as it raises the special defense of rock type Pokemon like Terrakion making it even harder to kill. Also sand hurts any non steel, rock or ground type every turn and negates Leftovers. Stoutland or Sandslash get their speed doubled in sandstorm. Being able to remove so many threats mainly the Lati twins and the fact that it can counter other weather by just switching in are the main reasons why I think Tyranitar is an S-rank Pokemon. You can't actually counter Tyranitar just like Gothitelle and Dugtrio because you can't stop it from trapping things.

S rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.
Tyranitar fits that really well.

Someone mentioned Wobbuffet for B-Tier a few pages back, and I want to agree, especially now that Custap Berry is out. Now you don't have to predict nearly as much as before to get a 1-1, even 2-1 against offensive teams. The ability to remove Choice users, and provide free turns for set-up sweepers or hazards setters while ensuring an almost guaranteed 1-1 is too good for C-Tier IMO.

Ok that's more than enough bickering about Amoonguss. Tsk tsk children, I expect better of you.

Anyway, Tyranitar certainly does quite a lot, and I can see why people are arguing it for S-rank. Sand Stream is a very potent ability, not only having a host of benefits that make it useful on its own, but also helping check opposing weather. Tyranitar is really well-suited for supporting roles, whether as a Stealth Rock user or Pursuit trapper, and it's no slouch offensively. However, it has very notable flaws that prevent it from being S-Rank, in my opinion. The first and foremost is obviously that defensive typing. While Tyranitar's special bulk lets it get away with handling most of what it needs to, it is plagued by weaknesses to very very relevant offensive typings (Water, Fighting, Bug, and Ground being chief amongst them). Tyranitar can very often perform its roles, but after doing so it invites openings to things you don't want to give openings to, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus formes, etc. Or you could just get sniped by Dugtrio. This is doubly problematic in that Tyranitar has a hard time being a supporter and providing an offensive threat at the same time. Stealth Rock and Scarf sets don't pack nearly the wallop of CB, making them more of a defensive liability. So while Tyranitar is an exceptional supporter, I feel that its very notable weaknesses hinder it enough to keep it in A-rank.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll Throw in my two cents, I guess!

Now regarding Scrafty, I'm a little torn. One thing's certain from my experience is that he definitely has the potential to sweep teams with DD, Moxie, and incredible coverage. Tornadus-T getting the can is a nice boon for Scrafty so he can breathe a little easier now. Either way, Scrafty does have pretty nice bulk, an alright albeit good Attack, and decent overall qualities. Being slow does suck though. I can see Scrafty as D-Rank or possibly even C-Rank, but one thing's certain: Scrafty is definitely viable in OU.

On Nidoqueen, I can agree with its placement. It has a definite niche in OU; it's a solid check to Terrakion and also a decent special attacker with its movepool and Sheer force. Nidoqueen can also set up Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. C or D, either is fine by me.

Amoonguss and Ttar should stay where they are, I need not explain.

Just my two cents.

Enter Suspect for B-Rank: Mienshao [コジョンド]

If it's one word that can describe Mienshao, it has to be "Underrated".
I absolutely agree with that advice. Mienshao doesn't fit in every team, especially because he's really frail, but given the right allies, he really shines.
I've used it recently in a Volt-turn team (don't know why this style has been neglected, it's almost as deadly as it was in BW1, especially with the offensive metagame that bring frail threats), and he was really the star of the team.

Tabuu already mentioned most of his usefull moves, so I'll just gona point out two that are often forgotten :
- Fake out : Revenge killing is always nice, and despite the low power, this move is amazing to do that. Sometimes I spam it, then I switch out, sacrifice something and come back to shut down a threatening boosted sweeper. Many targets fall under High Jump Kick's KOs range after it.
- Hidden Power Ice : Mienshao is the only fighting type which can run an efficient mixed set in OU (Infernape can, but he doesn't often carry HP ice, 4MSS). Yes, being a fighting type that is an immediate threat to Gliscor or Landorus-T is a very unique niche.

And regenerator is one of the best ability in the game. Being able to switch in multiple times without caring about residual damage is just amazing.
And his speed tier is quite good, above Landorus and Garchomp that he can hurt with super effective hit.

Of course, he does have flaws. Ghost types are a real pain to face, especially Jellicent and Gengar. Tentacruel is really annoying (but spedef versions can't take too many High Jump Kick).
But he's actually one of the best scoots of the metagame, and a really underrated threat in OU.

Another point is that he is hard to use : an unpredicted protect means you can lose 50% of your life, you lose momentum if you don't predict an obvious switch, you have to make good calculations to know your chances to KO something (as you can't take any unresisted hit). But when you know how to use it, your opponent may have real troubles.

Not a lot of activity now, huh? Well, I'm going to second Mienshao going up to B-Rank. Having used it before, I can attest that it's positive qualities far outshine the negatives. In particular, I've found the Choice Scarf set to be particularly good. (Fake Out is a little less-than-stellar in my opinion, but that's just me.) Anyway, when looking at the Choice Scarf set, it's somewhat hard to not compare it to Terrakion, who packs better power, speed, bulk and STABs. The key to Mienshao's niche is it's ability to maintain momentum. Unlike Terrakion, Mienshao has access to U-Turn, as well as access to the amazing Regenerator, allowing it to shrug off any minor damage it may receive from hazards or recoil. Couple this with his fantastic speed (which outspeeds the same key threats that Terrakion does, such as Salamence and Volcarona), it's deadly Hi Jump Kick, and it's access to a decently powerful Hidden Power Ice, and you have a pokemon capable of putting good pressure on opponents, gaining momentum and even cleaning up late game. It's main flaw is that it really can't take a hit, but if you play it right (in this case, revenge killing what it can and U-Turning all over the place) it shouldn't have to. Overall, I've found it to be a very solid pokemon with a unique niche as a U-Turning Fighting type. I think it definitely fit into B-Rank.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And I third Mienshao for B-Rank.

Mienshao may look outclassed, but it's got some real good perks going for it. Firstly, it's offensive stats. 125 Attack, 95 Special Attack, and 105 Speed is very good, and allows Mienshao to wreck shop. The first cool thing is that 95 Special Attack is pretty good, so it can run Hidden Power Ice, which is a great perk to pose a threat to Landorus-T, Landorus-I, and Gliscor, so unlike the other Fighting-types, Mienshao can keep common counters at bay. Hi Jump Kick is really deadly, and coming off of 125 Attack, it's definitely gonna hurt. 105 Speed is really good and can get at Lando-I pretty well, not to mention it also outpaces Mence, which is good. Stone Edge is good too. Of course, the big ace in the hole for Mienshao is U-turn, and when paired with Regenerator, this thing can definitely keep up offensive momentum (RIP the days when I used this in conjunction with Genesect), and shrug off residual damage, and this also makes Mienshao a good fit on hail and sand teams because it kicks ass and has good synergy with Ttar/AbomaSTRONGTH. It may be frail and have trouble dealing with Ghost-types, but those are still outshined by the positive points. After all, there's a reason it got the S-Rank in UU. Mienshao should definitely be B-Rank, for it definitely fulfills a given offensive niche, and does it damn well.

Another discussion, but where should the speedy spiker Bugs that we all know of by the names of Accelgor and Scolipede be placed on the list? Perhaps D or C? Well, they are both good at spiking so they should at least be on the list.

Not a lot of activity now, huh? Well, I'm going to second Mienshao going up to B-Rank. Having used it before, I can attest that it's positive qualities far outshine the negatives. In particular, I've found the Choice Scarf set to be particularly good. (Fake Out is a little less-than-stellar in my opinion, but that's just me.) Anyway, when looking at the Choice Scarf set, it's somewhat hard to not compare it to Terrakion, who packs better power, speed, bulk and STABs. The key to Mienshao's niche is it's ability to maintain momentum. Unlike Terrakion, Mienshao has access to U-Turn, as well as access to the amazing Regenerator, allowing it to shrug off any minor damage it may receive from hazards or recoil. Couple this with his fantastic speed (which outspeeds the same key threats that Terrakion does, such as Salamence and Volcarona), it's deadly Hi Jump Kick, and it's access to a decently powerful Hidden Power Ice, and you have a pokemon capable of putting good pressure on opponents, gaining momentum and even cleaning up late game. It's main flaw is that it really can't take a hit, but if you play it right (in this case, revenge killing what it can and U-Turning all over the place) it shouldn't have to. Overall, I've found it to be a very solid pokemon with a unique niche as a U-Turning Fighting type. I think it definitely fit into B-Rank.
Summed it up pretty well. Life Orb sets are very good as well, as Mienshao doesn't care about the recoil, and can easily smash a couple heads with the power boost. B-Rank
It should be noted that Fake Out is an awful move. Its predictable and weak, which pretty much gives a counter a near free switch in. There are much better options than it (if you're willing to use a slot for Fake Out, try Protect, which can scout for surprise moves), and I would suggest either being very tricky with it or not using it at all.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It should be noted that Hi Jump Kick is boosted by Reckless. For a move already stronger than Terrakion's Close Combat, that's just overkill.
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 144-169 (43.11 - 50.59%) -- 53.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 112-133 (33.53 - 39.82%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It should be noted that Hi Jump Kick is boosted by Reckless. For a move already stronger than Terrakion's Close Combat, that's just overkill.
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 144-169 (43.11 - 50.59%) -- 53.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 112-133 (33.53 - 39.82%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Oh dear, I never even considered that... that's just scary... Out of curiosity, does that calculation have an item factored in to boost the power of Hi Jump Kick?

I've never used mienshao, so I don't know how good it is.

Anyway, I agree with ScraftyIsTheBest that Scolipede and accelgor should be added to the D-rank. They are the fastest spiking leads in OU and can get past pokemon such as Ttar and latios with Megahorn/Focus blast/bug buzz. Scolipede's typing also allows it to check pokemon such as breloom. Accelgor can also get past starmie, OU's best rapid spinner. They often are useless outside of being a lead.

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who have a small niche in the current OU metagame, but have very noticable flaws that make them more trouble then their worth the majority of the time.

They fit this description perfectly. Scolipede and accelgor have a niche in the metagame, but are often useless after preforming their duties.

Oh dear, I never even considered that... that's just scary... Out of curiosity, does that calculation have an item factored in to boost the power of Hi Jump Kick?
No.

252Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao (Neutral) Hi Jump Kick vs 252HP/232Def Sturdy Skarmory (+Def): 55% - 65% (186 - 219 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Ok, after reading a bit on the Landorus suspect thread, I've been convinced that part of it's power really strives from great synergy with one of the better pokemon in the game. It is indeed, because of this tandem, that I'd like to propose Tyranitar for S-Rank.

Sure, Sandstorm is not as broken as Drizzle, but Tyranitar is certainly the better pokemon when compared to every other weather inducer, and it also happens to remove critical treats with it's ability to Pursuit-trap. The fact that it can check the only two reliable counters of one of the most offensive threats in the game right now, while setting up a weather, makes it's niche in the meta absolutely critical. Landorus is stated as S-rank, but Tyranitar is certainly also in the winning side of this tandem, and I believe that it can be enough to bump it up a rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)