1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The OU you'll never forget!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by GreasyPanda, Jul 15, 2011.

1. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

[​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 6 Spd / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Earth Power
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power {Grass}
    - Stealth Rock

Heatran is amazing. I have him with air balloon because it just gets other heatrans with earth power mad. And it also seems to bother excadril's earthquake to. Right now I have him as my lead because he has stealthrock and I don't know ferrothorn just doesn't seem to work right as a lead. I have fireblast for amazing STAB damage and excellent coverage. And hidden power Ice for better coverage. My ev's kind of make him have maximum killing potential. And I have him with flash fire for the swictch in when I have ferrothorn out.

[​IMG]

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Nasty Plot
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Focus Blast

Thundurus is my main special sweeper. Is attack and speed are just unreal. Thunder is for coverage and an amazing stab move with a chance of paralysis. Nasty is just wicked. If i get one nasty plot in he is almost impossible to survive one of his attacks. With one or two nastly plots focus blast is ready to OHKO the legend.Blisssey. Hidden power ice is once again for better coverage and taking down gliscor.My ev's on him are pretty standard and so is the item, life orb. They just make him a brutal sweeper.

[​IMG]

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    - Roar

Right now I have this Latias as a total monster. He is bulky enough to surive a lot of attacks while setting up calm mind and healing. He can be an all out sweeper and a few calm minds. I have roar to get rid of pokemon how have used a dragon dance or sword dance. In some cases i have this pokemon out vs the opponents reuniculus. And we are both setting calm mind till we each had five. Then I can just roar is away when he's using his 6th calm mind. After that it is just a pretty straight forward sweep with dragon pulse. I have his ev's so he gets as much speed as possible and Hp because these stats aren't raised by calm mind. O yeah and another good part about roar is I can just roar away pokemon that have used subsitute.

[​IMG]

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Fire Blast
    - Slack Off

Slowbro. This is one suggestion I thought was really necesary. Slowbro has excellent physical defence, ok special defence, decent special attack and excellent hp. I like the moveset Farlardan gave me. It seems to lure out pokemon and then proceed to kill them. He is also a very easy pokemon to switch in to and has great synergy, like Jellicent did, with ferrothorn. He has slack off to heal along with his regeneration ability. Scald, fire blast, and psychic are for better coverage in abusing his decent special attack stat. I have him with leftovers for better healing too. Right now I am pretty pleased with how he has worked but am still open to suggestions.

[​IMG]

Frosto (Landorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

I got the idea to put a choice scarf landorus on this team from steeli. So far I have been testing it on Pokemon Online and it has been working very well. My previous member In the spot was a choice scarf haxarous which worked really well but was slightly slower and couldn't outspeed choice scarf flygon or a +1 DD salamence. I have him with this moveset for several reasons. I have him with hidden power ice so I could revenge kill +1 Dragon dance salamence and other dragons. He also has it to kill gliscors. I have him with earthquake to first of all get a very powerful stab and its super effective on threats like excadril, jirachi, and Tyranitar. This makes him an excellent sandstorm counter because sandstorm raises his attack and excadril doesn't have anything super effective on him. Come to think of it most pokemon found on a sandstorm team don't. He has u-turn to do some bug damage and switch into antoher pokemon like thundrus to get a potential nasty plot or latias a calm mind in. Stonedge is for a powerful move that gives me better coverage. It helps me take out Volcaora, charizard on sunny day teams and other ice pokemon (like cloyster). Right now he has been doing an even better job than Haxorus was so I am very happy with steeli's advice in putting this pokemon on my team and with the moveset he gave me.

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 150 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn serves as excellent support on this team. He has Leech seed so I get extra healing other than just left overs. He has power whip to take out threats like swampert, rotom W and tyranitar. Spikes is kind of Self explanitory and is for setting up entry hazzards. Which i usually get to set up a few layers of. And last but not least I have thunder wave. I wasn't sure whether to use this or toxic but this finally won over. It just cripples sweepers that don't carry and arometharepy blissey on the back of there team. Ferrothorn's ev's make him both physicaly and specialy defensive. He has iron barbs for extra damage. He is an excellent teamate with jellicent and heatran cause his weakness are covered. Also Ferrothorn covers a lot of my teams weaknesses which makes him excellent support pokemon. My team would definately fall apart if he did not exist.

Old Members:

[​IMG]

Woko (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Surf
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp

Jellicent is my water that I switch into when there's a heatran coming at my ferrothorn or a Garydos coming at my heatran. Taunt has saved me over and over again vs pokemon like reniculus or pokemon that rely on subsitute. I have him with wil-o-wisp because scald is unreliable. The reason I want the opponent burnt is so it does damage while i am stalling plus it makes jellicent into kind of a physical wall to. He has max special defence ev's and max Hp ev's so he kind of lacks a little on defence. But will-o-wisp fixes that right up. I recover for obvious reasons and Surf so I have a reason to switch into him when fire pokemon is threating another one of my teamate.

[​IMG]

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Brick Break
    - Earthquake
    - X-Scissor

Choice scarf Haxorus. Not much out speeds this. With a blistering base attack stat of 147 and a decent speed stat. He just screams put a choice scarf on me. His atk and speed ev's make him an all out sweeper. I gave him outrage because it has amazing power, especially because it gets stab. I have brick break for coverage. Basically the same with earthquake and x-scisor. Earthquake if for rock pokemon and for if i don't feel like being able to switch out for 2 to 3 turns. X-sciscor is just once again for better coverage which sweepers absolutely need.
  2. DaRkRaii

DaRkRaii

Replace thunder for thunderbolt on thundurus since this is not a rain team and the accuracy of thunder is that of focus blast. Plus although jellicent functions great as a special wall the standard bold set works much better by taking hits fairly well from both sides of the spectrum while crippling physical pokes with will-o-wisp. In my area it is nearly two oclock so Im a tad tired so I wont be able to give you the ev spread right now but if I get a chance two I will in the morning. Umm Ive found xscissor on haxorus redundant, I would run dual chop for pokes that have subs up (it worked amazingly against chomp when he would try to spam but end up getting koed because of it.) Other than that this team looks pretty good but as all non weather teams it has a weakness to weathers, this imparticular being sandstorm. If an opposing excadrill has a balloon youll have a tough time, so what I propose is run the bulky sweeper set of gliscor, gliscor( along with bronzong and skarmory) are indefinetely the best checks and or counters to excadrill in the entire game. So if you take my idea and put in gliscor then I would replace something like latias since you already have the presence of a dragon, that being haxorus. Anyways I hope you have fun battling and continue team building! :D
  3. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thanks I think I might take a few of those ideas I'll edit it later thought. It getting late for me to. But thanks for putting the time in and typing a really long post.
  4. Faladran

Faladran
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hi, rating on request since you've decided to go with this team. My first suggestion would be to try HP Grass on Heatran. Many players will try to use Quagsire or Gastrodon to handle Thundurus. Both of these often switch in on Heatran as well, so you can lure them out and hit them with a 4x attack. This should help since both will switch out of Ferrothorn, which will likely end up burned anyway.

To make the best use of Thundurus, I'd go with Thunderbolt > Thunder and a Lum Berry. Thunder isn't reliable unless you're running Politoed or facing rain, so you need Thunderbolt's accuracy against other types of teams. Lum helps a lot against random status and also ensures that specially defensive Jirachi won't cripple you with paralysis. +2 Thunderbolt is enough to 2HKO, so it can't switch in reliably. Overall, Thundurus still has plenty of power and also gets more survivability without LO.

You should also try replacing Jellicent with Slowbro. Late-game Excadrill and Conkeldurr can be really threatening to this team, and Slowbro does much better against both these threats. Regenerator also makes it really hard to take down and helps if you don't have time to heal. This is the set I would run:

Slowbro (open)
    Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Thunder Wave / Fire Blast
    - Slack Off

Slowbro's actually got a pretty nice SAtk stat, so it can hit reasonably hard as well. The third move depends on whether you want to paralyze common switch-ins (Latios / Latias / Virizion come to mind) or hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn harder. Rapid Spin is rare enough that Jellicent is well worth replacing for something that can handle physical threats better.

Good luck in Frontier!
  5. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thanks both of you once again. I will be testing these suggestions tommorrow and than edit the thread accordingly.
  6. Eternal

Eternal
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Your team has a lot of problems dealing with Gengar (nothing in your team can really stop this other than revenge killing with Thundurus or Haxorus), TR Reuniclus (poses a big threat to your team, being able to sweep), and also no way of dealing with LO Latios (HP Fire and Surf) other than revenge killing with Haxorus. There's one great answer to all these problems, replacing your Haxorus for a specially defensive Jirachi. You already have Latias and Thundurus as great revenge killers. Here's the specially defensive Jirachi set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers -- Serene Grace
    Nature: Careful - EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    - Body Slam
    - Protect
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
  7. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thanks I might start testing that.
  8. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thank you for you suggestions and i took most of them. But right now I don't think I can afford to take off haxorous or latias. I have always found a way to set up calm mind and then proceed take out a few pokes. Also my team would not be the same without his roar. It is the only way i could stop a dragon danced D nite or reunucilus using calm mind. It is also undoubately and awesome way to get rid of subsitutes. And haxorus I like because the second he comes out he is ready to sweep and sweep extremely well. Maybe I will decide to take one off after I test your suggestions more thoughly but for now I kept them on.
  9. KTVX

KTVX

Your team looks nice, I'd just like to suggest moving your speed EVs on Heatran to HP, as heatran's speed is too poor to abuse without scarf or Flame charge. With this bulk, my Heatran managed to survive an Exca's EQ even without full HP...
  10. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

That sounds like a prettty good idea I think I might start testing it. Do you guys think my team is almost ready to start batting some frontier brains in the smogon frontier.
  11. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Do you guys think I should try to squeeze in a aeromatherapy blissey on this team and if so who should I take off.
  12. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Ok thanks right now I have decided to take your suggestion on moving the speed ev's on heatran into hp ev's I think it has made him a much better pokemon.
  13. Jirachee

Jirachee Kaleidoscope
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hey there,

This is a really good team that I really like. However, some pokemon give it problems. First, you can't really handle Dragon Dance Salamence. It will probably end up killing two pokemon before you take it down, and this if you're able to. Haxorus cannot take it down by any means. Since he's your revenge killer, this isn't a good situation. Another pokemon that will give you problems is Excadrill. Slowbro is 2HKOed by +2 Earthquake, OHKOed after some residual damage. Heatran has to rely on his balloon to beat it. Furthermore, you'll have to lock Haxorus into Outrage to revenge Thundurus. This can be quite problematic if the opponent still has a steel. For those reasons, I suggest you swap your Haxorus for a Choice Scarfed Landorus. Landorus' base speed is 101, effectively outpacing +1 Salamence. Its typing allows it to take on Excadrill fairly easily. And, its Stone Edge will easily tear Thundurus apart. Using U-Turn with it will also open up invaluable set-up opportunities for your Latias. Overall, it would be a solid addition to your team.

Choice Scarf Landorus (open)

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
    Naive
    Sand Force
    EVs : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -U-Turn
    -Hidden Power Ice
  14. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thanks for rating my rmt. That seems like a pretty solid solution to the problem. I will start testing that and will probably end up taking the advice.
  15. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Thanks, Steeli I took your suggestion and it helped alot. Does anyone else have any suggestions.
  16. NatGeo

NatGeo sun's coming up
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Rating by request. Interesting team! However, I do see a bit of weakness to Offensive Deoxys-S, who can take out most of your team with its attacks. Jirachi is probably the best option against it:

Jirachi@Leftovers - Serene Grace
    Careful
    -Iron Head
    -Wish
    -Body Slam
    -Protect
    252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spe

Note that this is the exact same Jirachi Eternal posted a while back; it covers both the threats he & I mentioned.

Hope you consider this and good luck!
  17. GreasyPanda

GreasyPanda

Hmm I guess I might test that Jirachi. I"ll test it over a series of pokemon to see if I like it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)