1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Outsiders Challenge — Mk II

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Harsha, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokelol

Pokelol

As of now, I have found out how much of a beast Trick Room Chandelure really is. I've never really used Chandy that much, but I sure will in the future. I've started to play on the alt I signed up with after testing the teams I had in mind.

I feel like my team lacks the last touch - If anybody wants to and can help me out a bit, it would be wonderful. I'm using Trick Room, though it was.. Kinda.. Obvious.. Hi.
  2. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Name: Master Of The Six Kings
    Alt: Kingdon of Sixes
  3. Jobriq

Jobriq

My tentacruel did alright against Torn-T as long as it didn't get confused by hurricane, since wish rain dish recovery I think it's only 3HKOd. Outside of rain I generally pray for a hurricane miss and use blizzard if my hail is up. I generally didn't have to switch into Torn-T repeatedly since abomasnow's ice shard does a minimum of 47%. Chansey can also come in on Torn-T since it can't 2HKO with superpower because of the stat reduction after the first, but confusion from hurricane is still troublesome since it can prevent Chansey from using softboiled. Bronzong can also come in and threaten Torn-T with gyro ball, but his lack of recovery means he can only do this once or twice.
    They're not that great since Torn-T can simply U-turn out. In the long run the best Torn-T check is Stealth Rock since it almost cancels regenerator recovery.
    Jolteon is also a check but it has trouble switching in even on a resisted hurricane.

Specially defensive Jellicent deserves serious consideration. Although less common than the physically defensive set which can counter scizor, the specially defensive set can come in on genesect that don't have a SpA boost, or ones lacking TBolt. The most common set I see is scarfed Bug Buzz/u-turn/ice beam/flamethrower anyway.
    Blissey and Chansey of course wall genesect that aren't a rare physical genesect with iron head or something, but the pink blobs seems to have lost all their popularity due to things like terrakion.
  4. PDC

PDC going back to cali
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

might as well, this looks fun

name : pdc
    alt : euthanasia
    standing : nothing
  5. Phazon00

Phazon00

As soon as Showdown comes back online, I'm gonna restart. New team, fresh start.

Name- Phazon00
    New Alt- Inferno Titan
    Ladder Ranking- None yet
  6. franci

franci

Name: ggwp boy
    Alt: jellytothemax
  7. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I run with the wolves of the wicked
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Since the ladder reset, I don't have my rank anymore. I'll sign up for this. (Bye Dragonite!)

Name: Arcticblast
    Alt: Arcticblast

Dropping out. I might re-enter some other time, but I need my main for regular OU :(
  8. Pokelol

Pokelol

Am I allowed to change alts? I tested my team on an alt, before wanting to use it for the one alt I signed up with. Funny thing is, that it went great and I kinda don't want to go through the matches again for the alt I signed up with. If possible;

Show Hide
    Name: Pokelol
    Alt: NaNaPokelol

EDIT:

Nailed it! Got to 1867. Hurray!

The questions:

Show Hide
    1. What did you think was the biggest challenge when not being allowed to use any of the restricted Pokemon? Was it overcomeable?
    - The biggest challenge, at least for me, was refraining from using them. More than once, my eyes looked at at least one of those ten and hoped to use it on my team. There's a reason why they are top ten. They each cover a lot of top threats. Since I do not like Hippowdon that much, I would especially have liked to use Tyranitar, since Rain teams got on my nerves.

2. How did you feel the challenge tested your metagame skill? Did it make playing much harder, or were you still able to leaderboard with relative ease.
    - Actually, I may have found out something about myself. I've always been the type of offensive type concerning Pokemon, though every single team I made, became boring after a while. But the team I used to get 1850 was actually funny to use. I laddered with quite ease, though I found out, that Rain Stall teams should just burn somewhere hot. Annoying as.. You decide.

3. What is your opinion on how overpowered the Pokemon that you were not allowed to use, but were required to face? Were they too strong to deal with, are there metagame shifts you would consider to correct this? Please don't derail the thread with a constant debate over this point, only reply once you've won!
    - Okay. I faced Breloom in the 3 or 4 last matches I played to get 1850. LO TechniLoom is really annoying, but I got lucky with him only hitting 2 Bullet Seeds every time he used it (Except one time where 3 hit). I think I faced Starmie once, which wasn't really a problem at all. I haven't used it that much, so I do not know what it is supposed to do, besides spinning. Gliscor, met him once or twice, not a problem - I have got both an Ice Beam user and an Ice Punch Guts user. I faced Jirachi twice, which didn't accomplish much else than setting up Rocks and annoying me with Body Slam + Iron Head. Tyranitar was not that popular - Sandstorm teams was not a problem at all. After throwing away Machamp and adding Porygon2 with Trace, Heatran didn't annoy me at all. I faced a lot of Dragonites, but my team handled it well. Scizor - Not seen that much in the 18 matches I played (Plus those when testing - Which may be around 15 to 20), could have been a problem, luckily he kept his face away. Then there's Ferrothorn, which kept annoying me. The standard set walled me much, though he lacks some kind of recovery move instead of Leech Seed (A Skarmory stalled me for 10-15 turns once, because of Sturdy and Roost - I had 3 'mons with Super Effective moves left when it started). Politoed should just burn. Really. I HATE Rain Stall teams, which gave me the most troubles. I almost got Swept once by a Acid Armor Vaporeon with Hydration under Rain. The one game I lost was to a Chansey + Rain Dish Tentacruel core, which I couldn't hit at all. I almost changed my team to check that combo, but kept it the way it started out. I hope Rain teams fall out of favor - Mostly the Defensive ones. Offensive Rain teams were easily handled

4. What team style did you use, and how did it fare against the metagame? Were there team styles you couldn't beat? (As an aside, please share your team with an importable! It'll be fun to disect those, and you may even be featured in a Smog article!)
    - I used Trick Room! And it fared very well. For the first 5 matches, my Chandelure was the main sweeper. Then I started seeing Rain teams where he couldn't do much and after that, I got too pressured to switch him in. Really, what kept me in the match most of the times, was the offensive pressure from Reuniclus, GutsConkeldurr and ScarfMoxieMence and the defensive side EvioliteP2 brought to the time, tanking everything. Bronzong was there to start off the match with Trick Room and go BOOM! most of the times. Though Bronzong was good enough at coming in later to tank a hit from Dragonite, set up Trick Room and go BOOM!.. I didn't use him that much.

5. What is your personal opinion on this challenge?
    - It was REALLY fun to play. Before making the Trick Room team, I scratched 2 other teams (Though one of them had D-nite on it, so it wouldn't count anyways). Being restricted helped me come up with a team that I liked, so I enjoyed this challenge. Though it was intense, since I am the kind of guy that gets nervous - "What if I lose this one?" went through my mind, every time I clicked the "Find a battle" button - But hey! I got to 1850!

Importable:

Show Hide
    Bronzong @ Macho Brace
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Trick Room
    - Gyro Ball
    - Explosion

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Sassy Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Recover
    - Trick Room

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Facade

Chandelure @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 HP
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 0 Spd
    - Fire Blast
    - Trick Room
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Shadow Ball

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
    Naughty Nature
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake

EDIT 2: New peak!
  9. Phazon00

Phazon00

Damn it, old account screwed up. So, restarting again.

New Alt- Grave Titan
  10. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Ok, sorry guys, I think with the instability of Pokemon Showdown! I will need to end this challenge. Thanks for making it filled with discussion though! I'm really happy with all the viable teams I got to see that didn't rely on common Pokemon. It goes to show that you still can be creative in a metagame where you see a lot of similar archetypes. Congrats to all the winners, you might be seeing your names in cool places some time soon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)