1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The (Past) Dark Horse Project — Volume 1

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Birkal, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrith01

Astrith01

I haven't even started laddering, I have about a billion different sets I am testing on Metagross, and I'm building my team first, after I'm done with my team I'll ladder.
  2. ssbbm

ssbbm

3. Stif247

Stif247

Im at 1082 and have been getting shit on by dragonite.
  4. Valentine

Valentine バレンタイン
    is a Tutor
    Mentor

1200-1230ish. aww fuck it, i'll look it up. 1212^-^
    edit: 1195, just lagged out and lost a match xD
  5. Ranger Blue

Ranger Blue

*** Your rank in Standard OU is 872/48192 [1184 points / 11 battles]!

Both Crobat and Cradily are working perfectly. Im using a SS team of course, and Cradily in particular is a fantastic counter to anything Special. To put it in perspective, Modest Specs Latios Draco Meteor does less than 75%, averaging under 70%, without a resist! A fantastic counter to Rotom-W too.
    Crobat's speed is almost unrivaled in the metagame (as has been discussed in this topic), allowing it to taunt anything that wants to set up and fire off surprisingly powerful Brave Birds. The SR weakness is a problem, but I have a spinner so it's not too bad.

As for the battles, I think my record is 9-2 (not certain). One loss I was outplayed, the other I misplayed in a 1v1 Wobb v Crobat, missing that taunt ended and allowing him to encore U-turn. RIP ;_;
  6. Vein

Vein

got this currently:
    (22:00:30) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 11794/48233 [1037 points / 24 battles]!

crappy...

edit: before i sleep: (00:14:31) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 13384/48282 [1030 points / 40 battles]!

still crappy..lol
  7. BurningMan

BurningMan fueled by beer

Pokemon Online Username: BurningManDarkHorse
    Hall of Fame Standing: /
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Azelf,Tornadus
    Current Ladder Standing: 1000
  8. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent ium and me <3
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I was using Modest Air Balloon, but it wasn't working out. Imma try a LO Heatran though, sounds pretty awesome, not to mention unexpected. I'll also try Slowbro, who has awesome synergy with Tran. Thanks a lot Pocket! And yeah, Aqua Tail sounds good, but i literally never see Hippowdon and i need Ice Punch for coverage anf fire punch for ferrothorn. I'll give it a go over fire punch though
  9. lampeskaerm2

lampeskaerm2

10. mixmaster.mewthree

mixmaster.mewthree

Pokemon Online Username: N3RD
    Hall of Fame Standing: None
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Spinda, Magneton, Claydol
    Current Ladder Standing: 1000 (Have not begun testing yet)
  11. Vemane

Vemane

Pokemon Online Username: Momentum.
    Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ambipom
    Current Ladder Standing: 1230

So, obviously, I have gone with a momentum based team and it has worked out quite well so far, having lost only one battle. I have Uxie and Ambipom slashed because Ambipom can be considered a dark horse but I felt as if it wasn't a main part of the team, simply a situational poke that I needed to counter some threats, whereas uxie was my back bone but now as I progress down the ladder I am beginning to question uxie's place, not because it is bad or doesn't provide for the team, but because I have one or two huge holes and there aren't enough team slots to fill them. So I may end up replacing Uxie and making Ambipom my horse simply because of how it ends up playing out.

--------EDIT-------------

Uxie is out, Gliscor is in. Still provides rocks and a defensive back bone but allows for much more offensive pressure and gives me that ground stab i've been looking for

Team:
    Show Hide
    Starmie @ Life Orb Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam

I hate sun, this team hates sun, there is sun EVERYWHERE.

Starmie can change the weather (taking down tails is easy enough) and plow through those damn Venusaurs.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Trick
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Mainly here because of its nice defensive typing

Gliscor (M) @ Flight Gem Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Acrobatics
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

Rocks and, although unorthodox, quite a bit of offensive pressure.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Momentum ^obvs

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Fake Out
    - U-turn
    - Low Sweep
    - Double Hit

Surprisingly EXTREMELY powerful. With technician boosting its crap, ambipom can't be underestimated as a clean-upper.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Seed Bomb

The "glue" of this team atm; comes in on something slower and does its job from there

12. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

i havent tried this in OU yet, but it gets a lot of easy wins in the lower tiers. i was thinking of using a trick room team with cresselia on it, to support with trick room + lunar dance to send in a sweeper like CB druddigon that has weakened the opposing team before and then come in again to clean up

i would like advice on an OU trick room team other then using reuniclus please :) thank you

(btw my other dark horse, honchkrow will be a late game cleaner with a scarf cause druddigon can weaken what checks scarfkrow, dont know if ill turn him into a trick room sweeper or not, might be a good idea :D)
  13. NoJohns

NoJohns

Pokemon Online Username: Rausty
    Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet.
    Dark Horse Pokemon: OTR Zong
    Current Ladder Standing: (11:23:33) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 908/48351 [1183 points / 5 battles]!
  14. Vemane

Vemane

In terms of ou, reuninclus is almost neccesary due to its huge utility and offesnive pressence, while also being able to set it up :P

But besides that, if you can maintain it in such a harsh environment, go for it. Make sure you have hazards and I have found that even going semi-stall with tr helps quite a bit in whittling the opponent down.
  15. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

i already have a reun on my team :D, reun is one of my favorite pokemon
  16. Patolegend!

Patolegend!

Pokemon Online Username: Return of the King
    Hall of Fame Standing: None
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Nidoking
  17. King Serperior

King Serperior

Pokemon Online Username: KS
    Hall of Fame Standing: *sigh*. I wish.....
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Crobat
  18. Stif247

Stif247

I have recently been on a massive losing streak, and have decided i was too abitous with 3 dark horse pokemon. So if in the laws of the project i would like to change my dark horse.
    PO Name: stif
    Hall of fame: none
    Pokemon: archeops
    Current ladder standing: 1000

Archeops (M) @ Flight Gem
    Trait: Defeatist
    - Acrobatics
    - Stone Edge
    - Head Smash
    - U-turn
  19. DDRMaster

DDRMaster

Well you'll probably need 2 more Trick Room users (1 if you're using TR Cresselia), a slow priority user, and a fast Pokemon to keep up offensive presence when TR goes down.
  20. WashedLaundry

WashedLaundry

Updated my form.

Gave up on the Whimsicott/Sableye stall team. Either the team or myself are too ineffective at running it while covering every hole this HO-happy Metagame requires filling.

So I updated my team and switched over to hail. I'm currently testing this out in the PO server but I'm liking where the team is going, so I'll probably switch to laddering soon.
  21. alphatron

alphatron Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!

I made it to top 100!...on my main account.

Bulk up Gallade is fine, as he is a team supporter and not the main sweeper. I just need some good pokemon for his to support. This will require some research.
  22. V0x

V0x o:
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Marowak is a beastt (could take +2 Chomp DClaw back then). EQ Stone Edge Fire Punch Double-Edge is awesome coverage (Rock Head too!!!) for just about all of OU. CB Druddigon sucks--Outrage gets walled, Fire Fang is so weak like lol, and you cant switch moves. Wak will definitely take out more than Druddigon can.

Also, you may want to only use a partial Trick Room team in that you have a few Pokemon that can revenge kill out of Trick Room. Scarf Terrakion (so common lol) is a great pick, as is Scizor for BP. Just some thoughts go molkkk
  23. Vemane

Vemane

After peaking at around 150, I had a large losing streak and ended up at around 800 again :P

What I have learned, though, at least playing with this team style, is that as I progress through the ladder, I must change my strategy and my team to fit the teams of those in the same area of the ladder. (ie. the big influx of annoying sun teams at around 700-100 really screwed me up for a while)

I was still attempting to play at 100-200 as I moved back up into the 300's/400's and it didn't exactly work out.

Another thing that I've come to realize is that as I get lower, there are many more terribly strong defensive cores. That doesn't work too well with my team attempting to get by through momentum and offensive pressure. So I am going to incorporate two wallbreakers: Hydreigon and Loom, although loom was already here, so that I can break apart the troubling pokes before going in for the wear-down.

I'll see how that works out and will update.
  24. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Alright, I have updated the Registered Users List completely. Please take a look at it. If the link that is posted there doesn't have the information you think you registered with, then we have a problem. Although I think I've made it abundantly clear in the OP, I've added a new rule to clarify registration:

It is still perfectly fine to switch Dark Horse Pokemon or usernames or what have yee. But in order to keep the registered list up to date, I manually click through the Registered Users list and check all Dark Horse Pokemon in Registration Forms. Let me be perfectly clear: multiple posts for registration will not work! Please navigate to your Registration Form, click the friendly "Edit" button, and update your form. Please and thank you; this makes my life infinitely easier.
  25. MetaGross66

MetaGross66

Changed it, and got some big news. Sorry to disappoint everyone else that raced for first to top 100, but I got it. :p

Pokemon Online Username: 0.exe
    Dark Horse Pokemon: Mienshao, Deoxys-D (if I can only choose one for HOF I'd choose Mienshao)
    Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking: [​IMG]
    Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave
    - Knock Off

This is the team I used for reference:

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    - Leech Seed

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave
    - Knock Off

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Haze

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Dual Chop
    - Outrage
    - Brick Break
    - Earthquake
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)