XY OU The Pharaoh's Curse (Peak 1730 atm)

Hello smogon community! I'm Invok3r, and this is my third post on smogon, and my first rmt! This is my current stall team, which I have been doing fairly well with. Here is the teambuilding process.

Teambuilding process:

I wanted to make a stall team, but Mega Heracross is extremely popular atm.
So, I decided to make a stall team centered around Cofagrigus!

Pharaoh.gif

Cofagrigus is pretty bulky on the physical side, but weak to strong special attacks.
Therefore, I decided to add specially defensive Ferrothorn! Ferrothorn is weak to Mega Pinsir, Heracross, and Medicham, making Cofagrigus a great partner!

Ferrothorn.gif

Next, I added Chansey with wish, because these two mons don't have very reliable recovery.

Chansey.gif

These 3 mons get wrecked by Mega Charizard X, so Quagsire fits well with them.

Quagsire.gif

Since I have Ferro and Quagsire, I decided to complete a Fire/Water/Grass core with Mega Zard X!

Mega Charizard X.gif

Since it gets worn down by rocks, I decided to add bulky Starmie. Starmie has good speed and bulk, and the versatile move reflect type.

starmie.gif

Without further ado, the team itself!

Pharaoh.gif

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes Rest
- Destiny Bond

Cofagrigus is the pokemon who I chose to build this team around. (If you haven't noticed yet) It has great physical bulk, especially after will o wisp. Hex works well with this stall team, because it has 130 BP if the target is statused. I chose toxic spikes because they can wear down the enemy, and compliment hex. I don't really use destiny bond that much, but it can come in handy in certain situations.

Ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball Iron Head

Ferrothorn works well with Cofagrigus, because Cofagrigus counters some of Ferrothorn's physical checks. (Medicham, Heracross, Pinsir, etc) It has stealth rock, to help wear down enemy teams, and thunder wave to annoy things. Thunder wave can also help to cripple a sweeper. Gyro ball deals decent damage to speedy mons.

Chansey.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled/Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Chansey helps a ton on stall teams. It can switch into almost all special attackers, and heal itself and it's teammates. The reason I have both soft boiled and wish, is because ferrothorn and cofagrigus can't heal themselves very well. Heal bell for obvious reasons, and seismic toss to finish off mons and deal some damage in general.

Quagsire.gif

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Quagsire is mostly for Mega Zard X, but unaware is a lifesaver against Set-up sweepers. (It can only beat zard x 1v1 if it doesnt carry outrage) I chose scald on this mon, because it is one of the most spammable moves in the game imo, and it cripples physical attackers if you get the burn. Earthquake helps with heatran and excadrill, and toxic because this is stall.

Mega Charizard X.gif

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

For my Mega Slot, I chose to run SpDef Zard X. This guy helps a lot, because will o wisp provides great residual damage. EQ is nice, because it deals massive damage to heatran.(If it doesn't ohko) Dragon claw is awesome for spamming, and roost provides recovery. The main downside to this is the weakness to rocks, which leads us to my next team member.......

starmie.gif

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 22 Def / 238 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Reflect Type

Starmie is one of the best hazard removers on stall, it even rivals skarm imo. Rapid spin is for obvious reasons, and recover is for recovery. I got the EV spread from the damage calculator, I'm not sure if it is the most optimal, so if you guys have any suggestions, please tell me! Scald is a good stab to spam. Lastly, reflect type is for things like bisharp and ferro, which lets me win 1v1. (Unless it has low kick... :X)

So that is all guys! Overall, this is a pretty fun stall team that uses a unique pokemon. I would like to thank IAmGingy a lot for helping me which members to choose, and suggestions for moves. I am currently at 1729 with this team, (which is pretty high for me), so I would like to improve it to get even higher! Thanks a lot guys, and I appreciate all helpful comments!

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-166269949

Here is the importable:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 22 Def / 238 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Reflect Type

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Destiny Bond

Clefable @ Red Card
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Last edited:
Here is a threat list:

Mega Heracross.gif

Mega Heracross:

This guy wrecks my team, unless my Cofagrigus is dead. My zard can outspeed after it mega evolves though.

mew.gif

Mew:

Stallbreaker mew does really well against this team, I only have one counter, which is my zard. Just weaken it, then gg.

Sableye.gif

Sableye:

If this guy doesn't have foul play, my charizard can do decently against it.

That is all I can think of atm, but if I think of more, I will post them.

Nice team you have here.

Just some minor suggesations:

1. Change Quagsire Nature from Lax < Relaxed. Your NOT out speeding anything with this guy to begin with so just relax. ^_^

2. TWave and Gyro ball on Ferrothorn is counter intuitive. Either drop Twave < Protect OR drop Gyro Ball < Iron Head to have some psuedo Paraflinching action.

3. Lastly, drop Toxic Spikes < Rest on Cofagrigus and add Toxic > Softboiled on Chansey. Since the Pharoah is the only thing stop you from getting demolished by Mega Heracross; you really need to keep him around by any means necessary. Also, 1v1, you would much rather burn him than have him switch in on Toxic Spikes. Hell if I was battling you I would much rather do that than get WoW and maintain my attack power... then again... I'm a Noob... lol...

Anyways, these are my suggestion for your consideration. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for your ideas!

1. Ok, I will change this.

2. Hmm, I like gyro ball to ohko stuff like gardevoir. I usually dont thunder wave it first, but I will consider changing one of them. 80 attack evs is to guarantee OHKO after stealth rocks for iron head, so should I try that?

3. Okay, I will change toxic spikes to rest, I like your reasoning. I'm not sure about changing toxic to soft boiled, because chansey is a key part of my team. and I need it to be healed.

I have some trouble with this team against cm clefable and substitute mega heracross, any suggestions?
If these are causing you problems, then here are the options available to you:

Change Quagsire to Unaware Clefable with Moonblast / Softboiled / T-Wave / Flamethrower and give it Red Card. A full 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA Bold Nature should be sufficient in handling all the normal set up sweepers not named Scizor. Red Card is to make guys like Heracross and Medicham who like to attack behind a Sub regret it buy losing their Sub. Also, if you want, you can go Recycle > Flamethrower to be even more of a nuisance to the opposing team.

Change Ferrothorn to Klefki with T-Wave / Spikes / Recyle / Play Rough and give it Red Card. A full 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA Bold Nature should be sufficient in handling all the normal set up sweepers not named CharX, Dragonite and Gyarados that carry EQ. Red Card is to make guys like Heracross and Medicham who like to attack behind a Sub regret it buy losing their Sub. Also, since you lose Stealth Rock you can replace Softboiled / Toxic > Stealth Rock on Chansey if you do go this route. Prankster is annoying as F*CK though. Something to consider.

Let me know what you think.

If these are causing you problems, then here are the options available to you:

Change Quagsire to Unaware Clefable with Moonblast / Softboiled / T-Wave / Flamethrower and give it Red Card. A full 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA Bold Nature should be sufficient in handling all the normal set up sweepers not named Scizor. Red Card is to make guys like Heracross and Medicham who like to attack behind a Sub regret it buy losing their Sub. Also, if you want, you can go Recycle > Flamethrower to be even more of a nuisance to the opposing team.

Change Ferrothorn to Klefki with T-Wave / Spikes / Recyle / Play Rough and give it Red Card. A full 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA Bold Nature should be sufficient in handling all the normal set up sweepers not named CharX, Dragonite and Gyarados that carry EQ. Red Card is to make guys like Heracross and Medicham who like to attack behind a Sub regret it buy losing their Sub. Also, since you lose Stealth Rock you can replace Softboiled / Toxic > Stealth Rock on Chansey if you do go this route. Prankster is annoying as F*CK though. Something to consider.

Let me know what you think.

Wow, thanks for all the help! I think I will try the unaware clefable over quagsire. Do you think that I might want to give cofagrigus a chesto berry?

Leftovers recovery is still preferred since you do have Chansey with Heal Bell to reset your status for all your mons and Chansey is immune to Ghost attacks.

Gotta love the synergy this provides ^_^

Last edited:
Yup! Thanks again for helping a ton. I will try to get some last minute laddering for the ladder tournament tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)