The Pokemon Lexicon (Commonly used Abbreviation and Lexicon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
chaosbreon/tyraniboah are ADV not GSC, i know they are gsc era pokemon but thats confusing

also the original article had a lot of stuff like zard -> charizard but i removed it all - do you really think newcomers, in the heat of battle, are going to be like "wtf does fable mean? let me check smogon.com/articles/newbies_guide oh it stands for clefable"
The pokemon are organized by order of appearance rather than by generation. We can make notes on what generation they came in I guess.

I was under the impression it won't just be the "heat of the battle", but the point of the guide was to introduce them to the competitive world as a whole. They won't be seeing "fable" in the heat of battle either, nor would they see any of those terms - they would see in the shoddy main chat or IRC and especially the forums.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll try:

Stallrein
A Walrein using Substitute + Protect under Hail to stall for up to 32 turns, using Leftovers + Ice Body to fully replenish the HP lost during each two-turn cycle.

Or is that too long?

Anyway, I don't like the sweeper definition either. It should be more like:

Sweeper
A fast Pokemon that attempts to outrun and KO as much as possible using a range of powerful attacks, often with a wide type coverage.
I think I can shorten Stallrein:

Stallrein:
A Walrein with Ice Body ability holding Leftovers with Protect and Substitute. Used in Hail Teams to stall up to 32 PP.

(This should be enough of a definition. People can check the effect of Ice Body and Leftovers on their own.)

If that is too clunky:

An Ice Body Walrein with Leftovers and both Protect and Substitute. Used in Hail Teams to stall up to 32 PP.

As to Sweeper, perhaps it could be split into Sweeper and Bulky Sweeper categories, to separate sweepers who operate with speed vs. Sweepers whose defenses and recovery allow them to score KO's more efficiently than their opponent.

Minor Notes:

Trapper
A Pokemon which can either stop an opponent from switching out - via Arena Trap or Magnet Pull - or can KO them even if they do - via Pursuit.
There should be an A. RBY above the RBY terminology listings in the Pokemon Abbreviations post.

Battle Roles

Lead
The first Pokémon that is sent out in battle.

Mixed Sweeper / Mix
A sweeper that uses both physical and special offensive moves to do damage.

Revenge Killer
A Pokémon whose main purpose on a team is to revenge kill certain threats. May also be a Trapper.

Status-absorber
A Pokémon that can avoid, remove, or use to its advantage one or more status effects through means like Rest Talk or the ability Guts.

Supporter
A Pokémon that uses non-offensive moves which benefit the team.

Sweeper
A Pokémon that uses offensive moves to do damage and bring down an opponent's team. Its attacks are physical or special oriented.

Tank
A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually one side of the spectrum, and hit back.

Trapper
A Pokémon that can either stop an opponent from switching out with moves or abilities like Mean Look or Magnet Pull, or can KO them even if they do, via Pursuit.

Wall
A Pokémon intended to take attacks, usually one side of the spectrum, extremely effectively.
Battle Strategies

Baton Pass
A strategy that focuses on passing beneficial boosts, via the move Baton Pass, from members of the team to a recipient, who proceeds to sweep.

Hail
A strategy that focuses on keeping the hail weather effect in play in order to boost team members with corresponding abilities and the move Blizzard.

Offense
A strategy that focuses on knocking out the opposition hard and fast with powerful and speedy Pokémon.

Rain Dance
A strategy that focuses on keeping the rain weather effect in play in order to boost team members with corresponding abilities, the move Thunder, and Water-type moves.

Sandstorm
A strategy that focuses on keeping the sandstorm weather effect in play to boost team members with the Rock type and corresponding abilities.

Stall
A strategy that focuses on setting up residual damage in tandem with forcing switches through moves like Roar and Whirlwind to knock out the opponent.

Sunny Day
A strategy that focuses on keeping the strong sunlight weather effect in play in order to boost team members with corresponding abilities and recovery moves, the move SolarBeam, and Fire-type moves.

Trick Room
A strategy that focuses on keeping the move Trick Room in play, allowing typically bulkier and normally slower Pokémon to strike first.
Miscellaneous Acronyms and Abbreviations

BST
Refers to the total of a Pokémon's base stats.

CH
Critical hit

Entry Hazards
Refers to any of the attacks which deal damage as a Pokémon switches in - Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

FP
Refers to full paralysis, when a Pokémon is unable to move for a turn.

Hax
An event which has a low probability of happening which critically affects a match. Also used to refer to luck in general.

NFE
Not fully evolved, describes a Pokémon that is not in its final evolution stage. Most do not see competitive usage outside of Little Cup.

NVE
Not very effective, describes a move that does half damage due to resistances.

OHKO
Short for "One-Hit Knockout", though it can also refer to moves that KO the opponent in one hit like Horn Drill.

Priority
Any attack which will always move first (e.g. Fake Out, ExtremeSpeed, Ice Shard).

Residual Damage
Damage taken by a Pokémon without having been directly attacked, whether by recoil, weather or status effects, and entry hazards.

Revenge Kill
KO'ing an opposing Pokémon immediately after one of your own Pokémon has fainted, therefore avoiding the risk of switching into an attack.

SE
Super effective, describes a move that does double or quadruple damage due to weaknesses.

STAB
Same type attack bonus, describes the increase in power of a direct attack by 50% if the one of the user's types is the same as the attack's type.
Pokémon Items

CB/Band
Choice Band, an item that increases the power of physical attacks by roughly 50% but locks the holder into one move.

Lefties
Leftovers, an item that restores 6% of the user's health each turn.

LO
Life Orb, an item that increases the power of the holder's attacks by roughly 30% but takes 10% health each time a direct attack is executed.

Pinch Berry
A stat-boosting berry that activates when the holder falls below 25% health. The most common berries are Salac, Petaya, and Liechi.

Scarf
Choice Scarf, an item that increases the holder's Speed by 50% but locks the holder into one move.

Specs
Choice Specs, an item that increases the power of special attacks by roughly 50% but locks the holder into one move.
Pokémon Moves

AA
Aerial Ace

BB
Brave Bird, Brick Break

BP
Baton Pass, Bullet Punch

CC
Close Combat, Cross Chop

CM
Calm Mind

DD
Dragon Dance

DM
Draco Meteor

DT
Double Team

ES
ExtremeSpeed

EQ
Earthquake

FP
Focus Punch

GK
Grass Knot

HP
Hidden Power

LK
Lovely Kiss

MM
Meteor Mash

NP
Nasty Plot

QA
Quick Attack

SD
Swords Dance, Selfdestruct

SE
Stone Edge

SR
Stealth Rock

ST / STalk
Sleep Talk

TB / T-Bolt
Thunderbolt

TR
Trick Room

TS / T-Spikes
Toxic Spikes

T-Wave
Thunder Wave

WoW
Will-O-Wisp

WW
Whirlwind
Pokémon Sets

Agiligross
A Metagross with Agility.

Aromatherapist / Beller / Cleric
A Pokémon that uses Aromatherapy or Heal Bell.

Auto-Weather
A Pokémon whose ability creates a weather effect such as sand, rain, hail, or sun when they are brought into play.

Bander
A Pokémon holding Choice Band.

Bellyzard
A Charizard with Belly Drum.

BoltBeam
A set which uses both Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.

Bulkygyara / Bulkydos
A Gyarados with defensive EVs, designed to take hits.

CeleJump
A Celebi with Calm Mind, Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic.

ChainChomp
A Garchomp, holding a Life Orb, with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake, and Swords Dance.

chaosbreon
An Umbreon with Taunt, Mean Look, Baton Pass, and Moonlight or Wish.

ChestoRest
Using a Chesto Berry and Rest in tandem to wake up instantly after a Rest.

Crocune
A Suicune with Surf, Sleep Talk, Calm Mind, and Rest.

Curselax
A Snorlax with Curse.

Druidcruel
A Tentacruel with Swords Dance, Surf, Sludge Bomb, and Substitute.

Dual Screen / DL
A set which uses both Reflect and Light Screen.

EndFlail
A set which uses both Endure and Flail.

EndSalac
A set which uses both Endure and the item Salac Berry.

EndRev
A set which uses both Endure and Reversal.

EspyJump
An Espeon with Calm Mind, Substitute, Baton Pass, and Psychic.

Fishlax
A Snorlax set used exclusively in the Red, Blue, and Yellow games with Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Selfdestruct, and Surf or Earthquake.

Fishtauros
A Tauros with Fissure, Horn Drill, Rest, and Sleep Talk.

McGar
A Gengar with Shadow Ball, Focus Punch, Thunderbolt, and Substitute.

McIceGar
A variant of the McGar set, with Ice Punch instead of Shadow Ball.

Mopcross
A Heracross, holding a Salac berry, with Substitute, Megahorn, Rock Slide, and Swords Dance.

MSDos
A Zapdos set that uses Metal Sound. A pun on Microsoft DOS.

Paraflinch
Utilizing both paralysis and flinches to keep an enemy Pokémon from being able to attack.

Parafusion
Utilizing both paralysis and confusion to keep an enemy Pokemon from being able to attack.

Phazer / Pseudo-hazer / Shuffler
A Pokémon that uses Roar or Whirlwind.

Pseudo Passer
A Pokémon which uses moves like Reflect, Light Screen, and Wish with the intent of passing them to another Pokémon.

Restalker / Rest Talk
A Pokémon who uses the moves Rest and Sleep Talk.

Scarfer
A Pokémon holding Choice Scarf.

Spinner
A Pokémon with Rapid Spin.

Stallrein
A Walrein, holding Leftovers, with Protect and Substitute.

SubCM
A set which uses both of the moves Substitute and Calm Mind.

SubPunch
A set which uses both of the moves Substitute and Focus Punch.

SubSalac
A set which uses both of the moves Substitute and the item Salac Berry.

SubSeed
A set which uses both of the moves Substitute and Leech Seed.

SubRoost
A set which uses both of the moves Substitute and Roost.

Suicide lead
A lead Pokémon that tries to set up entry hazards quickly and prevent opponents from doing the same (with Taunt) before dying.

TechniTop
A Hitmontop with the ability Technician that uses low base power priority moves such as Bullet Punch, Fake Out, and Mach Punch.

Tobybro
A Slowbro set used exclusively in the Red, Blue, and Yellow games with Amnesia, Surf, Thunder Wave, and Rest.

Tyraniboah / Boah
A Tyranitar with Substitute, Focus Punch, Crunch or Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt or Ice Beam.
Pokémon Combos

CeleTran
Refers to using Celebi and Heatran on the same team.

GyaraVire
Refers to using Gyarados and Electivire on the same team.

GyaraJolt
Refers to using Gyarados and Jolteon on the same team.

JaskWak
Refers to using Ninjask and Marowak on the same team

JoltWak
Refers to using Jolteon and Marowak on the same team.

Skarmbliss
Refers to using Skarmory and Blissey on the same team. Also called Blisskarm.
Alphabetized it because I'm such a nerd. Also, I'm an é whore. :^D

"Sleeptalk" was corrected to "Sleep Talk", as it is in the games.

Underlined entries, that could go if it's not visually appeasing.

I made a new subsection for combos because they aren't sets. It's also the same reason I removed:

Lati@s
Latias and Latios collectively.
If I missed something, let me know. I'll edit this post with subsequent corrections of the other parts of Tangerine's posts~

EDIT UNO: Added and corrected Pokémon moves, items, and miscellaneous stuff. I cut out or moved extraneous info to other sections where appropriate. I also bolded all entries, as I didn't feel that underlining them looked as nice.

EDIT DOS: I looked over the list of Pokémon abbreviations Tangerine posted, took out sets and combos like Tobybro and JoltWak and added them in their respective sections. I would appreciate if someone looked the set names over, as I'm not sure on certain capitalizations (e.g. CeleJump has two capitals, whereas things like Tobybro and Fishlax only have one).

As for a list of Pokémon abbreviations, most of them are so disparagingly obvious that I don't think it's really worth the effort for a comprehensive list. Gross = Metagross omg that was such an enigma to figure out. :\

Up next: Looking over the rest of the posts for any substantial contributions.

EDIT TRES: Added Residual Damage, Stall, Thunderbolt, Meteor Mash, Cross Chop, Selfdestruct, Parafusion, MoPcross, and Stallrein to their respective sections. Fixed some minor typographical errors. Considering adding a small tier section as well. The miscellaneous section is starting to get unwieldy, so I'm planning to divide that.

EDIT CUATRO: Added Trick Room and Pinch berries, will work on the other stuff later today, if possible. Stuff like Mixkiss and Mixcario falls into the same category as Pokémon abbreviations, they're rather obvious. Maybe I'll include a 'Mix' note in the misc. abbreviations. I'd also appreciate suggestions on how to divide the misc. section as well!

EDIT CINCO:
Added: Toxic Spikes, Sleep Talk, Bander, Agiligross, SubCM, Offense, Baton Pass, Hail, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, Sunny Day, Trick Room.

New Divisions: Battle Roles, essentially what team members are assigned to do in battle; Battle Strategies.

Revised: Mixed Sweeper, Revenge Killer, Sweeper, and Trapper for better clarity.

Moved: Scarfer to Sets, Stall to Strategies.
All sections happened to align alphabetically as well. :^3
Let me know if I missed/screwed up anything!!

I'm adding a few.

Residual damage:Damage taken by a pokemon without having been attacked, whether by recoil (life orb or otherwise), weather (hail or sandstorms), statis effects,(toxic or burn) and entry hazards.

Entry hazards:Attacks that cause damage upon entry. Caused by the moves Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.

Metagross, in addition to being called meta, is also called just plain gross.

Pikachu is called Pika.

Regice, Registeel, Regirock, and Regigigas are collectively called the Regis.

I've heard of Salamence being called Sala.

Thunderbolt is abbreviated as TB.

Trappers can also use Mean Look or Block, not just their abilities. Shadow Tag needs to be added to the mention of the abilities that trap in that sentence, as well.

Garchomp is also called the Land Shark.

What about:

Pinch Berry
Stat-boosting berry that activates when the holder falls below 25% health. Often used in conjunction with Substitute, as subbing 3 times activates the berry. The most common ones are: Salac (boosts Speed), Petaya (boosts Special Attack), and Liechi (boosts Attack).

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd appreciate it if you guys stopped using those gimmick terms you guys made up in WiFi or Creative Movesets since no one knows what they are

I'll appreciate it if a stark mod starts updating/sorting these again, thanks =]

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would also like to add the following:

STalk - Sleep Talk

STalk (name of pokemon) - A Pokemon that has the moves Rest and Sleep Talk e.g. STalk Machamp, STalk Ogre.

Sleep Absorber - a Pokemon that is normally sent out to be deliberately hit by a Sleep move so that no other Pokemon on that team can be put to sleep. Sleep Absorbers are gneerally STalk pokemon.

SkarmBlissCress - using Skarmory, Blissey and Cresselia on the same team

Mixape - Infernape with Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Close Combat and 2 out of Grass Knot, HP Ice and Nasty Plot

Mixmence - Salamance with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake/Brick Break and Outrage/Roost/Crunch

Mixpert - Swampert with Earthquake, Ice Beam, Surf/Hydro Pump and Stealth Rock/Roar

Tspikes - Toxic Spikes (I haven't seen TS)

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
Thanks for all your help guys! This will be updated and you guys will all see what becomes of this... maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)