The pokemon ranger track of lights update

Heatran won't become a suspect, in my opinion. Mitigating factors like Stealth Rocks, and keeping Sunny Day in play for OU will keep the power in relative check to that of Outrage, and Draco Meteors everywhere.

Everyone is assuming Heatran will always have his Flash Fire boost, which won't be happening if he's leading. Assuming Sunny Day+Flash Fire boost+Entering Battling without SR/taking a hit, is quite extreme.

His uses will be limited, because he won't be able to stand switching into even resisted attacks, as it drops Eruption's power. If he runs a second Fire attack, he is limiting his coverage, or possibly having to drop Explosion. After an initial spike in usage, I see him settling back down to the 5-12 spot, depending on the shape of the metagame at the time.

RestTalker sets might enjoy the benefits of a full powered Eruption, but Lava Plume's burn effect, with the usually defensive set is probably more appealing.

Glad to see him receive the move though. It seemed logical, being the volcano Pokemon.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
All those that are saying Eruption / Earth Power / Explosion / Filler, you're doing it wrong. Heatran will have no form of STAB when it is weakened, as Eruption will be piss weak. Going Eruption / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Explosion may seem fine, but it's coverage weak.

Specs Heatran works as a potent attacker, not a sweeper. This thing is still too damn slow and won't ever sweep a team. Anything with decent speed is able do revenge Heatran(hell, when you think something like Venusaur can revenge kill Specs Heatran...).

Still a good move for the lead Heatran. Or if you have a spinner. If you don't, just stick with Fire Blast/Overheat...

Should give Sunny Day teams a much-needed boost, if a fairly small one.

Full HP is easy enough to obtain by Wishpassing to Heatran.

The key HP - power values are

80% - 120 Power, equal to Fire Blast - but Eruption is more accurate

63% - 95 Power, equal to Flamethrower

53% - 80 Power, equal to Lava Plume - but the latter

So I think if you can keep Tran above 63% HP, Eruption's a good option. I'm not sure how easy that is to do mind. Defensive sets, being as how they tend to run Leftovers, mind find Eruption helps bump the offenses up.

The only real advantage I see in that set is the ability to KO OccaMetagross leads. With all the leads that run Focus Sash, the extra power doesn't really help that much.
Specs then <.< it isn't 'bout the focus sash. But more about: will it be able to beat the lead to atleast some extent?

Stupid similar move names.

Meteor Mash would be better, but still, Steel's a lousy offensive type, I'm not sure it would actually be used. Filler at best.

Well, I don't really think Deoxys will really use Meteor Mash, but if someone familiar with ubers thinks he will, I will edit the op for that.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well, I don't really think Deoxys will really use Meteor Mash, but if someone familiar with ubers thinks he will, I will edit the op for that.
He will not. He already has Superpower and Meteor Mash doesn't really hit anything and can miss

Well there is the attack boost chance. But it's pretty slim, and anyway does Deoxys remotely NEED more attack?

On the other hand, you can keep the special move on a form change right? If so, maybe speed or defense deoxys might be able to use it, spamming it in the hope of an attack boost while being able to take opposing hits.

I'm no expert on the metagame by any means, but I'll put my two cents in anyway; Given that all of these bulky waters and Heatran counters are 2HKO'd, Heatran's gonna wreck some shit before it can finally be stopped. To those of you who think that stealth rock will weaken Eruption that much, you're wrong. First of all, if you lead with Heatran, you don't even have to worry about SR weakening you. Second, SR can be spun away easily to keep the residual damage from racking up. Third, if Heatran is weakened to the point that using Eruption no longer makes sense, you can just Explode and take down another one of your opponents Pokemon. I don't know what the hell game Freak was thinking introducing ANOTHER broken ass Pokemon to the game.

Well there is the attack boost chance. But it's pretty slim, and anyway does Deoxys remotely NEED more attack?

On the other hand, you can keep the special move on a form change right? If so, maybe speed or defense deoxys might be able to use it, spamming it in the hope of an attack boost while being able to take opposing hits.
No. Meteor mash is absolutely worthless on every form of deoxys.

I'm no expert on the metagame by any means.
I also hear the sky is falling outside.

In a lead spot its not gonna just start wrecking house. With specs its not terribly fast. Most leads run a sash and have some way of dealing with it. Off the top of my head, infernape, metagross, swampert, aerodactyl will probably kill it with cc/quake respectively. Roserade and smeargle will sleep it.

Without scarf alot of pokes stand a good chance of out running its base 80 speed. Without specs alot of power is lost. As with any other poke knowing what its running is paramount.

You guys are all assuming that it will be at full hp all the time IIRC it does less damage than fireblast after switching into stealth rock....

Without scarf alot of pokes stand a good chance of out running its base 80 speed.
Heatran has base 77 Speed, not 80.

You guys are all assuming that it will be at full hp all the time IIRC it does less damage than fireblast after switching into stealth rock....
After SR Eruption should have 130 base power, so it's slightly more powerful than Fire Blast after the first switch-in to SR.

I honestly think people are being overly optimistic about Eruption and Heatran. I mean, Specs + Flash Fire + Sun + Full powered Eruption? Seriously? It is definitely an interesting addition, but Fire Blast isn't that much weaker than a full-powered Eruption (120 vs 150 / After SR 120 vs 130). Personally, I'd give up that extra damage for a more reliable STAB move (kind of like how some people run Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast). Thanks ^^.

Eruption can have some uses, but fire blast still seems to be a more consistent option. Unless you plan to lead with a fast taunt user so your opponent cant get up entry hazards or have a rapid spinner fire blast is the better move in the long run.

If you devote your team to keeping entry hazards off the field then yes, specs eruption heatran will poke huge holes in your opponents teams, but so will salamence, gyarados, etc.

eruption is definitely overhyped, as serv pointed out SR is going to take away 1/8 of its power, and even more with repeated switchins. not to mention if you actually run eruption you either lose a coverage move (dpulse/hidden power/earth power/explosion) or you drop your fire move, which destroys the point of heatran after a bit

and why not just use overheat if youre going to be that way, since heatran will probably get forced out the turn after anyways

I don't think this pushes Heatran to Suspect level, and I honestly don't think it'll be competitively viable at all. After one SR, it's barely better than a Fire Blast, and 10 base power the first time you come in isn't worth a whole moveslot that needs to be used for coverage. Scarftran with Eruption would have to not run Explosion or Dragon Pulse or Earth Power. Is it really worth it for 10 base power one time? Even with no SR up, Scarf Eruption is 150, which is less than the effective 156 base power of an LO Fire Blast. Anything that resists Fire can take the hits. Specs Heatran might be able to use it on a set like Eruption / Fire Blast / filler / filler, but I'm really not sure that this is better than Overheat / Flamethrower. You're gaining the ability to hit more than once with your most powerful attack, but you can only do so if your opponent's switch-in is slower than Heatran and does not die from Eruption. This seems a very small gain when you realize that after even just 1 switch-in Eruption is significantly weaker than Overheat, and after 2 it's weaker than Fire Blast.

I like how several people are presuming SR to be on the field. Granted, most if not all teams have it in one way or another, and most if not all teams also have spin blockers if they have suicide leads. The fact remains, however, that spin blockers are not unkillable, and suicide leads do a very good job keeping SR off the field. Even if it IS on the field, after a Sunny Day it really kicks ass. Those comparing it to Fire Blast, remember the difference in accuracy, it is crucial. I believe Eruption will move Heatran to Suspect.

Just my two cents.

You could try rest+sleep talk+eruption+earth power? I think fire blast might work better here too. With Heatran's speed, the only odds of actually getting in a powerful Eruption is on the switch.

@ corndog, scarf eruption may be weaker than LO fire blast, but with a scarf you have a good chance of hitting twice because of its speed.

Just ran some Damage Calculations. With SR on the field for both players, there is a very very slim chance(im guessing around 5%) that Scarf Eruption will 2HKO Offensive Gyarados. Supposing best case scenario, your field is clear while they have SR, then Eruption at full health will 90% 2HKO Offensive Gyarados. However, if you nab a flash fire boost, I think Eruption would be the better choice with a scarf Heatran because of its accuracy. It's all a matter of opinion and what your team has and requires.

What people haven't mentioned, or what I have not seen, is the power of Eruption when there is a trick room up. This removes Heatran's speed liability and gives it more power. Supposing some moron actually took my advice, then Gyarados is 100% 2HKO(almost, not quite, OHKO). On a doubles team, Heatran is definitely going to be a new trick room player, probably replacing all Camerupt, and with pretty damn good reason. If your thinking what I'm thinking, then yes, this will decimate the Battle Tower in doubles. With a follow me here and a trick room there, this thing is practically unstoppable.

In the end, it truly is based on what purpose, what kind of team you have, your teams weaknesses, if you have a spinner, and if you have a spin blocker. Basically, if you're going to put this in your team, it's going to need a lot of support. Think about it, you put Forretress as your spinner and for its symmetry. Then you put Rotom-A as a spin blocker and ground absorber. And last you put Vaporean to pass wishes. Then what are you left with? A lead, and a sweeper? I'm not going to tell you what's better and what's worse, because it is ultimately up to you. I will narrow it down for you.

Fire Blast-Longer lasting, chance to burn, less support required
Eruption-surprise factor, accuracy, powerful enough to 2HKO some counters

Just my two cents. Heatran's been in every single one of my teams. Most percentages are just estimates.

I don't know how he will fare in the singles but he will become much more useful in vgc'10 with groudon's support. personally, i'd use him similar to that of kyogre for at least one set, choice scarf.

Eruption really isn't anything notable, but expect a cuntload of ScarfTran leads to pop up and then decrease in usage once everyone realizes that most teams have a way to make ScarfTran roll over and die. I'd love to see how SpecsTran will do in Ubers with this addition, though.

On a smaller note, Heatran caused global warming with Eruption =(

I like how several people are presuming SR to be on the field. Granted, most if not all teams have it in one way or another, and most if not all teams also have spin blockers if they have suicide leads. The fact remains, however, that spin blockers are not unkillable, and suicide leads do a very good job keeping SR off the field. Even if it IS on the field, after a Sunny Day it really kicks ass. Those comparing it to Fire Blast, remember the difference in accuracy, it is crucial. I believe Eruption will move Heatran to Suspect.

Just my two cents.
Several people are saying that Stealth Rock will be on the field because almost every team carries it and plans on having it up on the field. If you are choosing not to believe it will be up more times than not then you obviously aren't playing the game. Why you're mentioning Suicide Leads and Spin Blockers I don't understand. I guess you're saying that Suicide Leads will rise with Heatrans ??? Unkillable Spin Blockers ??? ??????????

Sure, behind Sunny Day Heatran will kick ass, but how do you plan on getting Heatran in undamaged? SR + the attack it comes in on. Or are you going to set up Sunny Day and then waste Sunny Day turns until you can get Heatran in safely? Or you might sacrifice a Pokemon to get it in.

Once you get down to 80% HP you're at the same level of power as Fire Blast anyway, so only accuracy is comparable at that point. And getting any Pokemon to lose 8% (seeing as SR takes away 12) isn't that hard. I doubt a move of Fire Blast caliber will move Heatran to suspect.

Of course, if you devote your team to a Heatran sweep it will certainly be able to do so. But then again, if you devote your team to any Pokemon sweep, it will be able to do so. I can't see any reason at all that Heatran would go Suspect because it gets a more accurate Fire Blast.

I personally look forward to using Eruption on my specstran lead. it doesn't have that chance of missing like overheat and the 10 extra power means heatran can run timid without losing any KOs. I can't see it having much use outside of that, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)