1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Power

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by AphoticSD, Feb 25, 2013.

1. AphoticSD

AphoticSD

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Introduction:

Hello Smogon. After having decent success with my first RMT posts here I’m posting another team made by yours truly. This is a weatherless team which works fairly well in the current metagame without having to use weather or deoxys-d. Speaking of deoxys-D there is a high chance of it going uber so i wanted to build an offensive team without the use of deoxys-D and this is the result. This is actually a pretty decent team which has peaked upto 1863 which is a decent score by my standards. I present to you The Power.

The Team:

[​IMG]

Breloom @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

-Spore
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch

Sash breloom is absolutely amazing. It matches up very well vs rain especially as Sash allows me to live a scarfed ice beam or straight up KO with bullet seed. Against terrakion leads I can just kill it with bullet seed on the CC. The only playstyles I don't lead with breloom are against sun or deo-d, as I lead with terrakion in both situations. Loom almost always puts a pokemon to sleep, and gets at least one kill. He also hits 4 of the 5 weather starters for SE damage, allowing me to change the weather if its sand or hail so Shedinja’s survivability increases. His priority mach punch is a blessing against set up sweepers such as terrakion at +2. Loom matches up amazingly vs. many common leads. Against lead terrakion, you can tank anything he throws at you thanks to sash, while ohkoing with bullet seed. Same with mamoswine, azelf, aerodactyl, any common suicide lead. Starmie can come in later and spin away rocks.

[​IMG]

Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

-Draco Meteor
    -Surf
    -Trick
    -Psyshock

Being fast as hell and strong as hell is no common quality and Latios shows just how well these qualities can be used. Scarf latios allows me to outspeed some extremely fast threats such as +1 Keldeo and +1 Terrakion and OHKO them with psyshock. The ability to switch into annoyances such as Rotom-W and Jelliscent is just wonderful. Stab Draco Meteor smashes anything that doesn’t resist it. Surf gets a significant boost when I’m against rain teams and hits Tyranitar and stuff which resist the other two moves pretty hard. Trick is another way of dealing with stall and cripples stuff such as ferrothorn and chansey (though terrakion and breloom do that well). Psyshock allows me to hit special walls on their physical side to deal solid amounts of damage and KO stuff like gengar. Unlike Kingdra, Latios doesn’t need to setup to wreck havoc and can simply come in at any point to heavily dent stuff with Draco. The EV spread is standard.

[​IMG]

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)

-Substitute
    -Stone Edge
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat

Terrakion and Breloom together form such a strong offensive core that stall just can stand up to the sheer power of these two. Sub salac is much easier to utilise than the dancing rak, not only simplifying prediction but also being protected from priority and status. It does a great job of severly crippling tentacruel/ bulky waters and jirachi/bulky steels, luring in skarmory/scizor, and forcing out the scarf revenge killer after setting up. It either dies early game or sweeps lategame. Terrakion can set up on a number of threats including but not limited to heatran, chansey and rotom-h. Setting up on Deo-D can often result in a 6-0, as common deo-d teams have nothing for a +2 terakion behind a sub. At the very least, I prevent them from getting more than stealth rock, which is easily spun away later. I previously had a dual dance set in this slot, but didn't like the life orb recoil. 4 evs in hp give it an even hp stat, allowing three substitutes to take us down to salac range instead of four.

[​IMG]

Kingdra @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 40 HP/ 224 Atk/ 16 Def/ 228 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)

-Substitute
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Outrage

Kingdra is an amazing tool against offensive Rain teams because it can Revenge Kill pretty much everything in it with Waterfall, and Water types are just extremely easy to set up on. Bulkier Rain teams with Ferrothorn are much more of an issue but Terrakion and Breloom are able to deal with it fairly easily. Once the bulkier Steel types have been removed from play Kingdra has an easy time sweeping through most teams, even with just one boost due to its amazing typing and bulk. Even outside rain there are a pretty big amount of fairly popular threats that Kingdra can very easily set up on, including Heatran, Scizor locked into Bullet Punch, and Tentacruel. Kingdra is a pretty difficult Pokemon to Revenge Kill too, as after a boost, there are really only a few Pokemon that outspeed it and can OHKO it because of its only weakness that is Dragon. Since it only has one weakness and two amazing x4 resistances to Fire and Water, Kingdra can take on a more defensive role for the team too. This all contribute to make Kingdra an amazing sweeper.

[​IMG]

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk/ 4 Spd/ 252 Spd

-Hydro Pump
    -Hail
    -Psyshock
    -Rapid Spin

Starmie’s good bulk and blazing speed along with the handy ability to change weather is invaluable for the team. Starmie is the epitome of a team player, as it almost guarentees that rocks will be clear and usually clears weather so that I can have clear skies. Starmie was chosen because hazards were really starting to annoy me. Starmie is a very important member of the team, spinning rocks away, letting the team be used to its full potential. Hail removes the opponent's weather, and cuts the threat level of many dangerous pokemon such as venusaur, keldeo, and tornadus-t. Most people will sac their weather starter, as I don't have a weather inducer of my own. I then switch in Starmie, and use hail. Psyshock is chosen to OHKO opposing terrakion in sand and Keldeo. Hydro Pump is a standard Powerful Stab. Starmie’s ability is a blessing as I can easily absorb annoying status and get rid of it on the next switch in with Starmie

[​IMG]

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

-Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power [Ice]
    -Stealth Rock

Heatran is perhaps the most important member of this team. First, it's the best switch in to Kingdra's arch-nemesis, Ferrothorn, who never enjoys taking a STAB Fire Blast, even in the Rain. What makes Heatran such a wonderful partner to Kingdra is the fact it can switch into any Steel type in OU pretty easily. Secondly, Heatran is the team's Stealth Rocker. Heatran is also a formidable check to a plethora of threats which sincerly would just destroy the team without. This ranges from most version of Volcarona, most Dragon Dancers like Dragonite and Salamence, Swords Dance Scizor, and Growth Venusaur. Heatran is our main tool against the not so popular but very dangerous Sun teams because it can take on so many of their most common members and hit them back very hard. Honestly, that team simply can't live without Heatran and it goes without saying that it's probably its most vital member.

Importable:

Code:
    Breloom @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Spore
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch

Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    -Draco Meteor
    -Surf
    -Trick
    -Psyshock

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Substitute
    -Stone Edge
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat

Kingdra @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 40 HP/ 224 Atk/ 16 Def/ 228 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Outrage

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk/ 4 Spd/ 252 Spd
    -Hydro Pump
    -Hail
    -Psyshock
    -Rapid Spin

[B]Heatran[/B] @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power [Ice]
    -Stealth Rock

Conclusion:

So this right here is my second RMT on Smogon. Not too shabby! Like any other team this team isn’t perfect and as its fair share of weakness yet I’m proud of this team and really enjoy using it. For those of you who took the time to read this entire RMT mad respect to you. I’m really interested in your comments and suggestion and would love to try them out. Once again Thank You and Goodbye!
  2. AphoticSD

AphoticSD

EDIT: Changes have been made altering the team structure and purpose so please do rate and give your views.
  3. Jirachee

Jirachee Kaleidoscope
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

You can definitely use a different Kingdra set. While the set you're currently using is effective against Rain teams, it struggles to do anything good against Sun teams and won't be very effective against Sand teams, since it will lack Leftover recovery. It's not bad without weather but it's not fantastic either. I think that the Rain Dance sweeper set is much, much more effective than SubDD in BW2. With the possibility of setting up Rain Dance by itself, Kingdra can be effective against any kind of team, since it can control the weather by itself. It already owns Rain teams so you don't have to worry a lot about this kind of team. With this change, you don't really need Hail on Starmie anymore, so you can use something more useful like Ice Beam.

I think that some really troublesome Pokemon for your team will be Latios and Latias, especially the offensive variants in Latias' case (Latios only has offensive variants.) Everything on your team takes at least 50% damage from a Choice Specs Draco Meteor from Latios, and the only thing that can live through it is Heatran, who will only be able to tank it once, is slower, can't do much to Latios, and gets owned by Surf. While Latios doesn't have that many switch in opportunities, keep in mind that it's very easy for it to get in with U-turn or Volt Switch support, or against your own Latios locked in the wrong move. I think that you could try out a Choice Scarf Jirachi instead of your own Heatran. While Jirachi takes a lot of damage from Draco Meteor, it is faster than Latios and will be able to take care of it quite easily, turning it into free momentum using U-turn.

However, if you make that change, you will need to change some of the movesets on your team, but that is for the best anyway in my opinion. First of all, you need Stealth Rock. Terrakion is a very effective lead, especially for a weatherless team, as it can get the momentum from turn 1 easily using the Stealth Rock + Taunt moveset. It's a much more effective lead than Breloom is, so you can use Life Orb on Breloom after that change, which will greatly improve Breloom's attacking power, and will allow it to score many important KOes. Lastly, you don't need two scarfer on your team, so you can use a Choice Specs set on Latios instead. Simply change its held item to Choice Specs, and it will allow Latios to be much more threatening. Due to its Pursuit weakness, Latios is usually a dangerous Scarfer to use, as it's easy for Scizor or Tyranitar to just switch into it and get rid of your scarfer, allowing something like Dragonite to sweep you easily afterwards.

Here are the sets you should use:
    Kingdra (open)

[​IMG]
    Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim
    Modest
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Surf
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Rain Dance

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Serene Grace
    Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~Iron Head
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Fire Punch
    ~U-turn

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Justified
    Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Close Combat
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Taunt

Good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)