1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Priority is Mine Lad - My First OU Team (Hyper Offense)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Viperthalion, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Viperthalion

Viperthalion

The Priority Is Mine Lad!
    Hello Smogon, I recently, meaning the past week, began my journey into competitive battling. To tell you the truth, I have not even played any official game of Pokemon for nearly three years. The last games that I played were the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald series, although I did read news and was in touch with the Pokemon of the 4th generation. I do not know the names of any Pokemon in the 5th generation besides those that I have faced in the past week, so I am just recently starting with Pokemon in general again. When I used to play as a child I always enjoyed having a team of offensive Pokemon, simply because sheer power amuses me. This team is focused around Pokemon that have priority in attacking, in addition to Volcarano, the bug that has become a favorite of mine. This is a pure hyper offensive team, one that tries to setup any number of my Pokemon so that I am able to sweep as much as I can.

At A Glance
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Detail

[​IMG]

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

This is the first Pokemon I decided needed to be on my team, simply because it works so well as a threat. With a quiver dance set-up not many Pokemon are able to stand in its way as it gets going. I chose focus sash as the item because there are many threats that are 2HKO'd and the only thing that allows me to stay on the field to do that is the sash. Volcarona is also a main part of my team because it takes out one of the main threats, those pesky steel types of all kinds, as well as Latias and Latios after a quiver is in place. Giga drain was chosen for those water pokes, who get HKO'd or 2HKO'd expecting to kill me.

[​IMG]

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Icicle Crash

This thing is simply amazing with its STAB ice shard. It takes care of many of the threats facing my team, particularly those pesky OP dragons. Icicle Crash if for slower threats like Hippowdan, and for the flinch. Earthquake provides a powerful STAB move, allowed me to take out any fire type that thinks they are able to kill me but then get sashed. Stone edge is there for other ice types, although I debate replacing it with something else.

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite
    - Superpower
    - Swords Dance

Scizor is a very fun Pokemon to use with its technician trait. I am able to rip holes through almost anything with bullet punch, especially after a swords dance which I almost always get. Bug bite is also boosted by technician, and I favored it over U-turn because in this team I prefer not to switch a lot do I don't lose momentum, or lose my swords dance bonus once I have switched out. Pursuit is there for coverage, but I am debating using Superpower.

[​IMG]

Keldeo-Resolute @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Secret Sword
    - Icy Wind
    - Hidden Power [Ghost]

I am not really sure why I picked this guy, but he has proved to be a beast. He takes down almost everything in its path with its coverage. Many switch in expecting either a hydro or secret sword and get an amazing Icy Wind of HP ghost that inflicts damage to all those psychics switching in.

[​IMG]
    Breloom @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Spore
    - Swords Dance

I am using the standard set technician Breloom. This set allows me to spore the most devestating counters to my team, especially as they can not OHKO me since the sash will be in place. After the spore I can swords dance and mach punch almost anything to death. I often use this as lead simply to get the momentum flowing in my direction with the spore, especially since slow leads will not be able to set up any form of entrance hazards that are a danger to my team.

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Psyshock

With entry hazards being to important in the metagame, I was forced to choose a good rapid spinner who would also lend to my team. Thanks to a suggestion made by Joshe I decided to switch Donphan into Starmie that lets me continue the flow of offensiveness and also covers some of the fighting threats facing my team.

2. deadflame

deadflame

I love your team to death! However, there are a few things that I would consider changing. First of all is Stone Edge on Mammoswine. Stone Edge is nice for hitting Gyarados and opposing Volcarona, but Superpower is another good choice, used to nail Air Balloon Heatran, and to do nice damage to Rotom-W. Stealth Rock is another nice choice just in case you find an opportunity to set it up. Makes the lives of your team much easier.

I would use Superpower over Pursuit for your Scizor. Maybe Brick Break if you can't stand the stats drops and feel that they clash too much with Swords Dance, but really, Superpower is the ideal choice, especially to take out Magnezone and Heatran on the switch.

I would give Keldeo a Life Orb. You have a good amount of Sash users here already, and with a Calm Mind plus a Life Orb, Keldo is wrecking shit.

You might also want to consider using an Impish Donphan instead, with full investment in both HP and Defense. He still retains most of his attack, but can also be used to tank hits better.

Last but not least, I am not too positive on the rules of Item Clause and all that, and have a lot of Life Orbs on my various teams, which I believe is fine. However, with an item like a Focus Sash, I would really suggest either changing it, or checking out the legality of a Sash team, as, and this is not meant to offend, but it is really, really cheap. Not to mention that Breloom would be better off with a Life Orb, anyway, as would your Swords Dance Scizor. They are losing out on a lot of power here.
  3. Viktor24

Viktor24

First of all,I don't think all those sashes are necessary to your pokemon as one stealth rock is totally gonna screw your strategy(Dolphan can't always switch to spin as it might lead to its death if on a wrong time.)My suggestions are:
    Life orb>Volcarona
    Life orb>Scizor
    Leftovers>Keldeo
    Life orb>Breloom
    Also change Keldeo's nature to timid.
    Replace giga drain with Hidden power rock on your Volcarona to hit Gyarados whom your team doesn't have any way to deal with.A stab Bug buzz does about the same damage as giga drain to most water types and the health drained isn't very necessary considering he's all out offensive.
    Your team is generally weak to dragons and life orb latios is gonna give you some serious troubles.You might want to consider some basic changes in your team members.
  4. Viktor24

Viktor24

Oh that's scared sword.Replace it with secret sword as keldeo's physical attack is terrible.
  5. Viperthalion

Viperthalion

Hey thanks for the review guys, and I took some of the changes you made into consideration, mainly switching sashes. I left sashes on two of them though, namely Keldeo and Breloom as I used them to lead. Thanks Viktor for that heads up as I don't really know attacks yet and switched that sacred to secret.
  6. Dragoon124

Dragoon124

Hi, welcome to smogon. Now, I won't try to make huge changes to your team, as I don't feel as though I can properly analyze your team's weaknesses, however I do think can be fixed. The first is your Mamoswine spread. I would like to recommend for you to run a jolly 0/252/4/0/0/252 (max speed and attack) as this spread will let you outspeed Adamant lucario, all Heatrans and Brelooms, and speed tie with Dragonite. I would also recommend running Superpower over Stone Edge as it rounds out Mamo's coverage more. I would finally advise you to get rid of the focus sash and replace it with a life orb. Even with a rapid spinner, you are not going to likely to keep you focus sah intact and more likely than not it will prove useless throughout the match. A life orb would retain your ability to switch attacks and will have a significant power boost to you attacks. ( Same goes with Breloom and its focus sash. However you could also use a fighting gem.)

Now onto your Donphan. For your team, I'm going to assume that your volcarona is a lead setup Pokemon. As such, I don't find find much of a use for your Donphan. Therefore, I would like to recommend replacing it with standard Landorus-T. It retains its ground type, brings intimidate to the table, has an offensive presence, can lay rocks and gain momentum with U-Turn. It also brings a valuable fighting resistance and ground immunity. Now if your Volcarona is supposed to be a late game sweeper, keep Donphan, and get rid of the focus sash and use a life orb. Change your nature to timid so as to speed tie other base 100s before a boost ( and jolly haxorus) and to speed tie choice scarf base 100s after a boost.

Ninja'd on focus sashes (started post long time ago but was interrupted)

Will edit later with a summary of the proposed changes
  7. Viperthalion

Viperthalion

Hello Dragoon and thanks for the welcome. I have made the changes you recommended to Mamoswine. I do not use Volcarano as a lead setup, rather I change my lead depending on what I am facing. Against most teams, especially rain ones, I take out Keldeo and simply set up or take down the lead, who are usually weak to one of the moves. Against fire I do take out Volcarano as lead, the only time I do so, and let him set up.

I don't really understand your second paragraph, no offense meant. And who am I replacing focus sash on for life orb? Neither Volcarano not Donphan currently have a focus sash on them

I am doing quite well with the team atm, currently I have a rating of 1811 with a run of 10-2 or so on a new account after leaving my testing account behind. Lets see how I do tomorrow, hopefully more reviews will greet me in the morning ;)
  8. joshe

joshe the best

Pretty solid team already! I have a few qualms with how you handle certain sets and the efficiency of a couple slots as well and with this rate I hope to shore those up.

I'm really concerned about how Keldeo weak you are right now. The only thing you have to handle it is to try and prevent it from switching in or sack one of your priority pokemon in order to finish it off with the next OR rely on your focus sash mons to beat it. This always isn't reliable and at times you wont have a focus sash to save you. I'm also not particularly sold on why you have donphan on your team either and I think a Starmie would be better over it to both check Keldeo and also to get more chances to keep hazards off the field for the rest of your team. The common Spinblockers are Jellicent and Gengar who give Donphan more troubles than they give Starmie. Starmie outspeeds Gengar and OHKOs with Pyshock and Jellicent doesn't like taking unboosted Pyshocks as well. We can move Stealth Rock to Mamoswine over Stone Edge too; Stone Edge is nearly useless on non Life Orb Stone Edge as you fail to 2HKO Defensive Rotom-w without it and your Ice attacks do more to Dragons so there really isn't much use to the move. With Starmie, Rotom-w is 3HKOed and can honestly even clean up sometimes lategame and blast through sand teams rather easily. Starmie can also take a few Close Combats from Terrakion if needed too but I'm not too worried about that as you have 2 forms of priority that destroy it.
    Starmie Set (open)

Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 52 HP / 232 SAtk / 224 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump / Surf
    - Ice Beam / Recover
    - Psyshock

There are just a few things I'd like you to change from here on out. You should run an Adamant nature on Breloom if you're running focus sash or honestly any other item. Your main source of damage is in your mach punch and you'll be sporting or using bullet seed on switch ins anyway and breloom would very much appreciate the power. I also want you to use Fire Blast or a Timid nature on Volcarona as well for either the added initial power which you need or to be able to speed tie with opposing Scarf Jirachi or Salamence or just run both Fire Blast and Timid. I also want you to use 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd on Mamoswine because you wont always have a focus sash up and the added speed helps you against literally a ton of pokemon who beat you otherwise. I also think you should run Superpower over Pursuit on Scizor as well just to not be walled by steel types

Finally, I think you'd be better off with an Expert Belt Keldeo over your current set and just bank on ruining pokemon enough for either Volcarona, Scizor, or Breloom to pull of their sweeps. Keldeo helps get rid of Latios, Celebi, and the other usual stuff that your current Keldeo beats with the exception of Jellicent. Jellicent can be handled with you using breloom wisely and getting it in without you getting burned by will-o-wisp or scald and can also be handled by repeatedly just blowing through it offensively through either Starmie, Volcarona or your other members. Hidden Power Bug does ~80-90% to all Celebi and 2HKOs Latios with Icy Wind + Hidden Power after Stealth Rock and can 2HKO some Latias who dont invest in HP. I don't really much care for a set that relies on using focus sash to try to beat something like Latias when it can only 2HKO at +1 :(
    Keldeo Set (open)

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Icy Wind

That should do it! Good luck with your team :)
  9. deadflame

deadflame

Finally, I think you'd be better off with an Expert Belt Keldeo over your current set and just bank on ruining pokemon enough for either Volcarona, Scizor, or Breloom to pull of their sweeps. Keldeo helps get rid of Latios, Celebi, and the other usual stuff that your current Keldeo beats with the exception of Jellicent. Jellicent can be handled with you using breloom wisely and getting it in without you getting burned by will-o-wisp or scald and can also be handled by repeatedly just blowing through it offensively through either Starmie, Volcarona or your other members. Hidden Power Bug does ~80-90% to all Celebi and 2HKOs Latios with Icy Wind + Hidden Power after Stealth Rock and can 2HKO some Latias who dont invest in HP. I don't really much care for a set that relies on using focus sash to try to beat something like Latias when it can only 2HKO at +1 :(
    Keldeo Set (open)

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Icy Wind

I have to give props to this person. I would never ever have thought to use Hidden Power Bug. That rocks.
  10. Viperthalion

Viperthalion

Thanks Joshe for those suggestions, although I prefer to keep Hidden Power [Ghost] on Keldeo to deal with those damned Jellicents. I made the rest of the changes you suggested and Starmie does indeed work better, thanks =)
  11. Viperthalion

Viperthalion

Shameless bump, still require some help =)
  12. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Because of Breloom's priority and Spore and Swords Dance, I would recommend switching the Focus Sash on Breloom to a Life Orb. The extra power can really go a long way.

That is, if you feel your predicting skills are improving. If you feel Spore is still hard to pull off, I would stick with the Focus Sash until you're a little more comfortable.
  13. Curlyrunt

Curlyrunt

I'd recommend thunderbolt over psyshock on starmie
  14. Killua kun

Killua kun

maaan i really like the structure of your team, but I want to give you some advice.
    keldeo always, if you want to take full advantage with that item in my opinion should be CM, so after a single boost , hp ghost make 2 hoko on Jellicent.
    For Volcarona do not understand that hp rock, I would recommend gigadrain or hp ground for baitkilling on Heatran.
    However, it is an important member of that together with Scizor will help you close the game many times, so I would use Starmie with this movepool (Rspin, Surf, Recover, psyshock)

Importable (open)

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Secret Sword
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Ghost]
    - Calm Mind

Starmie @ Leftovers
    - Rapid Spin
    - Surf
    - Recover
    - Psyshock

Hope that help ;D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)